Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

A couple around here'll be keen to let Kim Jong Un know when and where you're going.  Wink

Would seriously love to go to North Korea. An amazing step into the unknown. Rather dificult, unfortunately!!
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Anyone been to Japan? Planning a holiday in August and throwing a few ideas around.

I'm planning to go in February 2018 . The thing I always struggle with is phone systems overseas , last time i went OS it was to the US and I used a travel sim in my mobile . 
It was awkward and not reliable . You had to ring a number and hang up the phone and wait for a server in the UK  (i assume) to ring you back and connect you . It was cheap but made it difficult to contact other people in our party and ring home reliably ? 
I'd be interested to know how you go in Japan with phones and what you are planning to do ? 

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

Some great shots E&E. I am thinking about a trip there next year.

Yosemite specifically or the US?

Can highly recommend Yosemite, one of my favourite places and looking to go back again next year as well. 

A great site for any tips about the park itself as well as many of the hiking trails:

Sorry E&E, overlooked this post whilst on holiday.

Just arrived back from Thailand/Myanmar and adjustment to the normal routines & reality again!!

Probably heading to US in June /July 2018 taking in NY and a few other places before bolting over to Europe with my partner who is Croatian and taking in the Greek Isles and the Dalmatian Coast.

Nothing firmly booked yet and set in stone but will start planning the holiday later this year once things come together with dates etc.

Would love to get to Yosemite however ....

Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 7:39pm
Bugger these Winter temps!

I'm going to grab up a holiday in September for a couple of weeks up in Northern QLD.

Which Island? Been & stayed on Green, Hamilton, Linderman, Keppel & Daydream Islands. Also stayed at Port Douglas which I love and have visited & snorkelled the reefs but looking for something a bit different!

Would prefer to stay away from the Whitsundays with the recent cyclone damage.

An Island holiday strictly for chilling out without too much adrenaline & adventure!

Recommendations from anyone?
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:16pm
Lizard Island is wonderful-Have Fun
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

Anyone been to Japan? Planning a holiday in August and throwing a few ideas around.

I'm planning to go in February 2018 . The thing I always struggle with is phone systems overseas , last time i went OS it was to the US and I used a travel sim in my mobile . 
It was awkward and not reliable . You had to ring a number and hang up the phone and wait for a server in the UK  (i assume) to ring you back and connect you . It was cheap but made it difficult to contact other people in our party and ring home reliably ? 
I'd be interested to know how you go in Japan with phones and what you are planning to do ? 

Didnt end up booking Japan, so cant help you now. Sorry!!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:30pm
Looks perfect, fly into Cooktown & then transfer to the island.

Maximum of 82 guests in the resort/island! Loving this ....

Cheers
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 3:06am
So you are just going to sit around on an island and bludge out ??     And do what ??    Sit about and look at each other ??   Eat and drink ??    And what else ??? 
Thats not my idea of a trip away.
You can do that at home.
I can go over to Hawkes Nest,  an hour away, and do that  Stern Smile
Great places to stay,,,good beaches,,,,wonderful remote areas.  
And if I want adventure just go up to Mungo Brush and climb the sand dunes.
I really cant see going way overseas to do something you can do at home.
BUT, thats just me  .

animals before people.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 9:32am
I suppose everyone to their own aa!

For me it's getting away from the Winter temps to somewhere exclusive and enjoy the warmer temps!

Who said the two of us? Your assumption? Actually going with a group of friends if it comes off!

It appears you are revisiting destinations you've been to previously above aa? Hawks Nest,Mungo Brush etc ...

Maybe I might get down to those areas when the warmer weather arrives one day?

Yep, you're unique as am I!

I love exploring exotic, tropical locations. 🙏

Some holidays can be full of adrenaline & adventure, been there done that recently,,,, other holidays are designed to chill and relax!

Don't worry I'm already sketching out details for a trip to the US/ Europe next year! Plenty of time however to get that one sorted! 👌
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

So you are just going to sit around on an island and bludge out ??     And do what ??    Sit about and look at each other ??   Eat and drink ??    And what else ??? 
Thats not my idea of a trip away.
You can do that at home.
I can go over to Hawkes Nest,  an hour away, and do that  Stern Smile
Great places to stay,,,good beaches,,,,wonderful remote areas.  
And if I want adventure just go up to Mungo Brush and climb the sand dunes.
I really cant see going way overseas to do something you can do at home.
BUT, thats just me  .

A mate of mine has a holiday house at hawks nest. (His family do actually). i had heard about hawks nest as a nice little spot rah rah rah...then a few of us went up and stayed there for a few days.

it is as picturesque and beautiful a spot as anywhere ive been...thailand, boracay PI, mexico. what a gem it is. only spoiled by one resident...john howard lol.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:24am
Hi- I'm in China right now getting in a bit of hiking.Tongue

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm

I suppose everyone to their own aa!

For me it's getting away from the Winter temps to somewhere exclusive and enjoy the warmer temps!

Who said the two of us? Your assumption? Actually going with a group of friends if it comes off!

It appears you are revisiting destinations you've been to previously above aa? Hawks Nest,Mungo Brush etc ...

Maybe I might get down to those areas when the warmer weather arrives one day?

Yep, you're unique as am I!

I love exploring exotic, tropical locations. 🙏

Some holidays can be full of adrenaline & adventure, been there done that recently,,,, other holidays are designed to chill and relax!

Don't worry I'm already sketching out details for a trip to the US/ Europe next year! Plenty of time however to get that one sorted! 👌

As you say, Rosscoe, each has their own ideas on holidays. Thumbs Up
We cant all like the same thing.Smile
Hawkes Nest etc is just an hour for us, so if we want to just chill out, off we go for a few days.  Miles and miles of white beach to walk.  Sand dunes that constantly change. The lake to prawn in.  Nice motel 5 mins walk from the club.  Sit and watch the dolphins or get the ferry to Nelsons Bay for lunch.  That sort of thing .  Once we head O/S we want  "different " .
Since we only get 1 major O/S trip a year we try to see and do a different thing each year , and keep HN up our sleeve for our vege out time.LOL
So where have you decided to go, anyway ?  Where ever it is , it will be nice I am sure .
Subby, are you away in some exotic place at present ?
animals before people.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:04am
Empire State Building taken from the Top Of The Rock observation deck. Have been to this attraction (ToTR) each time I've been to NYC. Somewhat of a traditional final look over Manhattan before departing for the airport.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:18am
Holidays can be a puzzle .

My friend and wife went to Paris 2 years in a row . I asked him what was the attraction for doing that twice .

The answer staggered me ,     " Wonderful Restaurants ".

A short walk and I would have given then eggs on toast for free ,     A lot of sacrifice for a bluddy feed aye.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:12pm
Heading to Melbourne town for a few visits to take in Derby Day & Australian Open tennis.

Going further forward just booked a 8 week holiday with my family and partner (Croatian ancestry).

Heading to New York for 8 days before jumping on the Queen Mary for the Trans -Atlantic crossing from NY to Southhampton. Three days in London Town before saying goodbye to family & heading off with my partner to Croatia via the Eurostar rail, taking in France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia with the major highlight being Croatia. Also venturing into Bosnia and Montenegro.

Hiring a car from The Split to take in Dubrovnik and other scenic & magical spots this beautiful place has to offer.

10 months and counting down.

If anyone here has done Croatia by hire car please let me know your experiences.

Trip Advisor recommends it is the best way of getting around Croatia & neighbouring countries albeit with a right hand drive.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:53am
wow,,some trip there Rosscoe !!!   should be amazing  !!!   looking forward to hearing about it.
animals before people.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:11am

Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

Didnt end up booking Japan, so cant help you now. Sorry!!

Thanks Subastral , I missed your reply . I'm not sure if it will still be there if North Korea gets carried away . The wife is already making negative sounds about the trip due to the Korean tensions  . 
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:33pm

wow,,some trip there Rosscoe !!!   should be amazing  !!!   looking forward to hearing about it.

Starting to come together nicely!

Just need to sort out the Slovenia part which will finalise the trip!

Yep, really looking forward to this holiday,,,, again quite adventurous & incorporating very different experiences!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:14am
I will be interested to haer how it goes, and all about the various places, Rosscoe.
I am hanging in the hope I get my hip and back sorted, and can go back to Africa in 2019.  Dont think I will get far in the next 12 months. 
Keep us posted .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:16am
Bugga  !!  Hear not haer !!!Cry
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:58pm
Bring on January again, around Australia Part 2

Followed up by a 2 week trip to the west coast of the USA mid year
EAD
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:03pm
Stick to the SE coast in summer, too hot elsewhere !
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Be sure to stick right on the coast. CA1 is a truly spectacular drive!
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Be sure to stick right on the coast. CA1 is a truly spectacular drive!

I can't wait, its long overdue

I think we all need to enjoy life to the fullest when we get the chances
EAD
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:35am
TIGER .    How are you travelling around Australia . ?     I was a keen Caravan and Motor Home man years ago .   Loved it ( and a Boatie on Sydney Harbour mainly .).
I did the East Coast for a year about 1990 ( In a Winnebago with all cons ) Had a fair horse racing at the time so lots of interest.
( nose 2nd in Coffs Harbour Cup ) Jimmy murdered it ( his words )
Won the 1991 STC Rosehill Winter Cup a couple of weeks before, with a good rider up ( Dye ) so not all bad .
I hope you enjoy it.   Do those things while your able.   
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:12am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

TIGER .    How are you travelling around Australia . ?     I was a keen Caravan and Motor Home man years ago .   Loved it ( and a Boatie on Sydney Harbour mainly .).
I did the East Coast for a year about 1990 ( In a Winnebago with all cons ) Had a fair horse racing at the time so lots of interest.
( nose 2nd in Coffs Harbour Cup ) Jimmy murdered it ( his words )
Won the 1991 STC Rosehill Winter Cup a couple of weeks before, with a good rider up ( Dye ) so not all bad .
I hope you enjoy it.   Do those things while your able.   

I have a forester which the back seats fold down etc...I will only camp where it's fairly safe otherwise 4 nights a week I will be in a motel, doing the lot this time...Sydney ...through country nsw...Adelaide, victor harbour, port Augusta, Seduna, border SA/WA Eucla....very nice on the nullabour...great motel with ocean views and a dam good restaurant in the middle of nowhere to eat at.....WA....Norsman, Esperance,Albany,Denmark,Bussleton,Margert river, Perth for 4 days...than up the coast to Geraldton, Kalbarri and the gorges, than on to monkey Mia and Denham, up to Carnarvon Exmouth, the Pilbara and Onslow, Broome which is amazing, cut across the Fitzroy crossing, onto halls creek and wolf creek lol....make my way to Kununurra, up to Darwin for 4 days, cut down to Alice springs and see the rock, on to Coober pedy and make my way home from there

What was this horse you owned...was following the provincials a lot back than as well as the city horses? Jimmy was a shifty one,but when he wanted to win nothing would stood in his way lol

Did you enjoy driving around in the Winnebago, that would have been awesome, just stoping when ever you wanted to, I had friends take there 4wd and boat around Australia, best time they had especially up north with the big fish

EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:16am
That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:23am
TIGER :-     Webster"s Wish was the handy horse .    Won Cbury, Rdwick ,Rosehill, Kembla 2. many placings in town. Kerry Jordon trained and Cassidy was his rider . They turned me off ownership forever.
Yes the Winnebago was great , had everything =   generator , shower, flush toilet etc.   44 gal waste storage tank so only emptied when in bush . They make it so self sufficient.   I rarely used the van Parks.
Security is everything these days,    There is always a safe area in town where your not disturbing anyone.    Cost wise the Motels are OK as your fuel bill is much less.
You will have a great experience BUT always good to get home lol.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:37am

That motel at Eucla is great isnt it, Tiger !!  We wished we could have stayed there a bit longer.  Make sure you take a walk in the sand dunes where the old telegraph station ruins are . 

It's amazing, I walked down to the beach from the motel last time and the sand had covered the telegraph station, Ita a great spot considering its in the middle of nowhere
EAD
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:45am

Bugger these Winter temps!

I'm going to grab up a holiday in September for a couple of weeks up in Northern QLD.

Which Island? Been & stayed on Green, Hamilton, Linderman, Keppel & Daydream Islands. Also stayed at Port Douglas which I love and have visited & snorkelled the reefs but looking for something a bit different!

Would prefer to stay away from the Whitsundays with the recent cyclone damage.

An Island holiday strictly for chilling out without too much adrenaline & adventure!

Recommendations from anyone?

that post reminds me of greg evans and perfect match.

have fun roscoe...love to get up that way one day, sounds beautiful 👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>