Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 9:23pm
If you're in the USA, Canada and looking for sports game information this is the go to link. The one stop shop to find games and get tickets by the look. Could save you heaps of time trying to find the all the info
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Toll Road Toll Road wrote:

Have any of you guys/girls been to any sporting events while on holiday? I've been to the NBA, NFL, & NHL. I really did like all of them but the ice hockey was fantastic. It was so fast and high impact. The NBA game I saw was Sun's v Bulls. It was the first year MJ had retired but we still got to see a lot of the old guns in action Scottie Pippen being one of them. The NFL was good but it took a while to complete with all the stop starts. The tail gate party was pretty good as well Thumbs Up

If you class horse racing as sporting events, I have been to heaps .Big smile
animals before people.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 7:41am
Sure do AA could you list them so other can have a read and see what you thought of them Thumbs Up
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 2:41pm
AA have a read of this and watch the YouTube clip. A small croc attacks in the pool at a Zimbabwe resort.
When I lived in the N.T. they said that crocs could travel a fair distance to find a new waterhole or dam. A resort pool is a little different
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:35pm

Sure do AA could you list them so other can have a read and see what you thought of them Thumbs Up

Darwin Cup/Palmerston Sprint   A blast all week long . Done that one a few times and never get tired of that place.  See so many people you know from other places .
Kalgoorlie Cup was interesting and lots of fun.  Fights all over the place LOL and quite e few in costume similar to the M.C. 
Launceston Cup and meeting Slowdown and the Child Bride was great fun.  Shame it rained for the Cup.
French Oaks at Chantilly would have to be the prettiest track and setting I have ever seen, and just trying to work out a bet was quite an experience. The town and Equestrian Museum in what was the original stables of the Chateau are very good.  Thats it you always see at the back side of the track as they race past it. 
Royal Ascot , great to have been there but not as much fun as other places.  Would not have gone the 2nd time if Black Caviar hadnt been there .  Too much of a hassle to get from the parade ring to the track to watch the race so you have to decide if you want to watch them parade and the presentation, and watch the race on the big screen, or be trackside to see the race live and miss the other stuff. Unless you are upstairs in a room, but for me thats too far away from the action. 
Irish Derby at The Curragh, now there,s a laid back place, and very different the way they go way across this little path thru the middle of the track to get to the start.  I liked the casual atmosphere and getting really close to the horses. 
Both tracks at Newmarket.  Different and some serious gradients . Tests of stamina for the horses.
Naas evening meeting. Great fun and amusing watching kids who,s head didnt even top the counter , up at the window putting bets on and running off with a fistfull of tickets .
Lone Star Park, Texas.  Different seeing each horse with its lead pony, and the clerk of the course,,sort of, on her grey with no bridle or halter.  Took us ages to work out what barrier the horses had, and asking a local only got blank looks.  They are gates, and whatever number the horse is in the race book is what gate he jumps from.
Churchill Downs for the Kentucky Derby.  DONT go if you cant handle crowds.  There were 158 thousand the day we were there, and it was raining.  Can you imagine the state of the port-a-loos ???Sick No hope of getting near a horse and about the only time we saw them was as they went past us on the track.
Keenland but only for trackwork.  very pretty. Would love to go to a race day.
Thats about all I can think of at the moment.  
The usual ones here at home of course, lots of country cups.
Might try and fit in a race day in South Africa when we do get there .  Who has been and whats it like ?  Any hints or suggestions ?

animals before people.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 5:02pm
Great write up AA. It would be great to go and see all those tracks with all that history. Sounds like in the USA they pull some really big crowds to the big meets 
I've been to the races in Hong Kong that was very different with all the high rises around the track It looked awesome at night with all the lights on. I also went to the Wellington Cup in NZ it was very much like going to a big meeting here in Australia
Here is a link to an article with pictures to some of the tracks mentioned, plus some others
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 5:06pm
Some racing South Africa links. I'll try and find some more later 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 5:38pm
I want to do the Dubai World Cup.  It looks like fun.
We had a look at Longchamp when we were there on a non racing day.
Crips the facilities looked small and old !!
animals before people.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I want to do the Dubai World Cup.  It looks like fun.
We had a look at Longchamp when we were there on a non racing day.
Crips the facilities looked small and old !!
A mate of mine lived there for several years and said he loved going to the races there Smile
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:04pm
This looks like one of the best links I've found so far. You have to play around with it but it gives you all sorts of information on everything from wild life tours, races, accommodation. This has the lot

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:22pm
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:34pm
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:37pm

Something a little bit different in Malaysia. legoland

<span style='font-family: "Calibri",sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-: EN-AU; mso-bidi-: AR-SA;'>[URL=http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902]http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902[/URL]</span>

I haven't been here but it's just across the causeway from Singapore so no need to stay in Johor. Just make it a day trip when you visit Singapore.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

<span style='font-family: "Calibri",sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-: EN-AU; mso-bidi-: AR-SA;'>http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902">http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902</span>

I haven't been here but it's just across the causeway from Singapore so no need to stay in Johor. Just make it a day trip when you visit Singapore.
Thanks E&E. If it's that close and there is more to do in Singapore, then that sounds a day trip is the way to go. Is there more to do in Singapore than Malaysia? I've never been to either. The Disneyland is in Hong Kong or just off Hong Kong in China
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:51pm

<span style='font-family: "Calibri",sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-: EN-AU; mso-bidi-: AR-SA;'>[URL=%3ca%20href=]http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902][/URL]http://www.escape.com.au/world/asia/best-way-to-enjoy-legoland-malaysia/news-story/cdfcfefbc9c6721ef0797c279c5f2902</a></span>

Thanks E&E. If it's that close and there is more to do in Singapore, then that sounds a day trip is the way to go. Is there more to do in Singapore than Malaysia? I've never been to either. The Disneyland is in Hong Kong or just off Hong Kong in China

There is plenty to do and see in Malaysia, probably more than in Singapore to be fair. So this is just my personal opinion that I much prefer Singapore to that southern part of Malaysia. Much safer, cleaner, more modern etc. Thats why I personally would just visit the Legoland attraction as part of a Singapore trip.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:56pm

I guess it what you've got in mind for your trip. What you said is exactly what other have said to me. That Singapore is a very safe & clean. Have you done the tour of Changi prison? I think that would be good to have on the list.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 1:03pm

I guess it what you've got in mind for your trip. What you said is exactly what other have said to me. That Singapore is a very safe & clean. Have you done the tour of Changi prison? I think that would be good to have on the list.

Haven't done a tour of the prison. I've been to Singapore 5 or 6 times and done most of the tourist things the first time I went. There isn't heaps of them anyway. What brings me back is that I stay with locals in local areas away from tourists. Love being able to eat cheap local food etc rather that the high priced offerings and attractions you get in places like Orchard & Sentosa.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 1:43pm
Getting off the beaten track is a good idea. You must really love Singapore to go back that many times Smile I When you get out of the tourist area's I'll bet you can see so much more and interact with the locals a lot better. They say the food is really great in Singapore.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:47pm
My neighbour,s son and family live and work in Singapore, and he has just come back from a visit, and he was saying how expensive groceries, especially meat, is to buy.
He also said his daughter in law had her jaw X rayed and it cost over $400 !!
He was staggered at the cost of a bottle of Aussie wine, but he said they went to Legoland with his grandson and it was just a day trip . Worth the look he reckoned.
Said the rain hadnt arrived on time , as it usually does, and the humidity was 90% !  OMG !!!
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 8:48pm
They are eating/buying in the wrong areas. Go to the local hawker centres for meals and it's as cheap as chips.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 10:09pm
Bali, 2 weeks and 2 days and counting!

Staying at Nusa Dua & Seminyak.

Any sight-seeing recommendations? Restaurants, pubs,,,, highlights?

Just booked Thailand next year for a month or so (May/June) with a few mates ,,,, taking in Burma (Myanmar) as well! Anyone been there??

Looking forward to getting back to Koh Samui again Paradise ++
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:46pm
I haven't been to either Rosscoe but I'm sure someone here has. Let's hope that someone who has runs across this thread and can let us know what they thought Smile
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:53pm

They are eating/buying in the wrong areas. Go to the local hawker centres for meals and it's as cheap as chips.

There is no middle ground in Singapore. It's either cheap hawker food, or expensive dining.
I was disappointed with the hawker food in Singa. Went to numerous places in all corners, but found everything to be cooked with far too much oil and with little love. Just a different kind of fast food for me.
Food is much, much better in Malaysia.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
My Nephew asked what I thought Bali I said , Apart from the filthy Beaches , mangy dogs, open stinking gutters, questionable cooking techniques, corrupt police , risk of getting sick from the food/water, being constantly accosted by sellers , dangerous road conditions, the insects,the Bogan aussies Bali is ok .
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

There is no middle ground in Singapore. It's either cheap hawker food, or expensive dining.
I was disappointed with the hawker food in Singa. Went to numerous places in all corners, but found everything to be cooked with far too much oil and with little love. Just a different kind of fast food for me.
Food is much, much better in Malaysia.

Yes there can be quite a difference in quality between hawker centres. Usually go to Whampoa food centre and food is great. If you're in the area go to balastier rd for bak kut teh. One in particular is quite famous for it - forget the name but has photos up all over the walls of all the celebrities who have come to eat there.

No argument about Malaysian food. Definitely better and also cheaper which is a bonus. Last time I was there we went to a place (again local) and shared a full suckling pig for about $60. Fantastic!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

My Nephew asked what I thought Bali I said , Apart from the filthy Beaches , mangy dogs, open stinking gutters, questionable cooking techniques, corrupt police , risk of getting sick from the food/water, being constantly accosted by sellers , dangerous road conditions, the insects,the Bogan aussies Bali is ok .

Geez Noccy!

Not what I wanted to hear!

Maybe, I should take my ancient surfboard over there and ride those waves all day long?? Mind you, I'd probably only last a wave or two these days!!

Decided to hire a car for 5 days with my partner navigating, will let you know if any corrupt police decide to pull a swifty on us!

We won't be hanging around the Bogans! I can assure you of that!!

Anyway, in all seriousness what you put into a holiday is what you take out of it!

I'm looking forward to this venture good or bad!

Thailand was booked last night for next May for about a month, love it there and can't wait to get back! Burma, the neighbour requires a Visa. Need to sort that out shortly. Plan on spending about 2 weeks on Koh Samui. Absolute paradise there! A favourite spot of mine ......
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:53am
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:56am
Another good site of bucket list travel places with photos

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 2:10pm
Local travel news for the Great Ocean road

$53 million upgrade: Great Ocean Road to reopen after landslips

http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/article/103ead5101b50d66f8fa58d9fc2e51a1?esi=true&amp;t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_storyheader/index&amp;t_product=HeraldSun&amp;td_device=desktop

Geelong Advertiser

an hour ago

Subscriber only

http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/component/article/103ead5101b50d66f8fa58d9fc2e51a1?esi=true&amp;t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_storymeta/index&amp;t_product=HeraldSun&amp;td_device=desktop

ONE of Victoria’s most popular tourist attractions is to benefit from a $53 million upgrade after being ravaged by bushfires and landslips.

Urgent repairs will be made to the Great Ocean Road near Wye River, including new rock fall netting, retaining walls and armour stone to prevent erosion by waves.

The section of road is due to be reopened to full traffic from Wednesday, having been down to one-lane after heavy rains prompted more than 120 landslides.

The State Government says $53 million will be invested to improve the surface of the famous coastal route, and reduce the risk it will be closed in the future due to landslips.

Closures have already disrupted the visitor economy and operators have been nervous that more would follow heading into the peak season.

New traffic management technology — including electronic traveller information signs, CCTV monitoring devices, real time traffic counters and more signage will also be installed.

Premier Daniel Andrews and Minister for Roads Luke Donnellan toured the Wye River region on Tuesday, almost a year to the day after the devastating Christmas fires.

This State Government funding is on top of the $50 million the Labor Government is joint funding with the Commonwealth for capital works and maintenance on the Great Ocean Road between Apollo Bay and Allansford.

The work will complement the $2 million emergency project announced by the Government in November to build a concrete wall to stabilise the embankment between Wye River and Separation Creek.

This will allow two lanes to be opened to traffic from Wednesday.

“The Great Ocean Road is one of the nation’s most iconic destinations and Victoria’s top tourism drawcard — we’ll do everything we can to support local communities and attract visitors from all over the world,” Mr Andrews said.

“It’s just not good enough to lock out tourists and locals every time there’s an extreme weather event — we’re doing the work to make sure this beautiful part of our state is always open for business.”

Originally published as $53m upgrade for Great Ocean Road

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 4:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>