Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel - Holidays
    Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 8:48pm
Safe travels Bro Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 5:52pm
And to you and yours old mate , safe journey , keep the news coming and your tips winning . Star
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 2:47pm
It's been a wonderful stay back in OZ.

Super racing to witness as well as plenty of beach time!

Tonight, we are returning back to the Nth. Hemisphere through Doha and then onto Budapest.

Hopefully, I'll be sane enough to have my tips in our competition!

For those who celebrate Easter this coming weekend, the best of festivities to you!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 4:20pm
Yeah, always getting texts telling me to pay my toll.  LOLLOL  Block one and another appears a week later.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 4:18pm
And don't fall for all the toll road scams as they're VERY smart!
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 3:06pm
AA just google toll roads and you'll discover how you can pay.  Here's a couple of sites that will assist you with tolls and accommodation/sights to see.  

Using toll roads : VicRoads

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/traffic-and-road-use/road-network-and-performance/toll-roads-in-victoria/paying-tolls

www.travelvictoria.com.au/victoria/driving/tollroads/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 10:31pm
We plan to wander down there.  Then find a spot and shack up.  Somewhere nice, quiet, pretty,  central, doesnt cost an arm and leg, and then go explore.
And NO it wont be in school hols.  Cry
Anyone can suggest a small quiet pretty central town,,,please do.
By posting these sorts of questions on here is how I found Slowdown, and his horses, and Tassie , and races , and sales, etc etc etc.Thumbs Up
Keep the suggestions coming.

animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 10:02pm
Just one tip, AA - it's one of those areas where there's heaps of nice towns and places and things to do, so best to to just play it by ear once you get some accomodation. Really nice area so you can't go wrong, especially when school hols are over.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:38pm
Thanks for the info , both of you.Thumbs Up
SC, can we just ring and pay the tollway via visa card ?   Could we exit the freeway earlier and go bush ?  Maybe thru Yea and have a look out that way ??? Then go down to the penninsular ?
We are not in a hurry and enjoy back roads and small towns.
animals before people.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 5:36pm
Best to go to the Mornington Peninsula during the summer months for sure.  I’ve found it cold & windy most other times of the year.

I liked Point Nepean (historic quarantine station) & Cape Schanck (walk & lighthouse) as places to visit down there.

And of course there’s 2 racecourses on the peninsula - Mornington & Balnarring.  

Not sure why Mornington shifted their Cup day, used to be a great day when held on a Weds in late February.   But Balnarring still have 2 meeting left for the season - 10th March & 30th March.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 5:13pm
AA you can avoid most of Melbourne by exiting the Hume Highway around Kalkallo and using good quality country roads and express tollways to reach the peninsular.  If travelling from Melbourne it's still reachable via freeways/tollways.

I'd perhaps be looking to stay in Flinders which isn't quite as hyped as other townships down there, has plenty of accommodation and decent fooderies, yet is within relatively close proximity of nearby attractions, wineries, restaurants etc.

As for attractions, well just google the peninsular and there'll be plenty of suggestions.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 4:25pm
We are thinking of going for a look around the Mornington Penninsular.  Always wanted to.  Anyone here from around that way, or know it a bit, got any suggestions where to go and what to see ?  Nice qiuet little place to stay,,,,by the sea maybe ??  And suggestions for a back route to by pass Melb ? From the north ???
All suggestions appreciated.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 12:55pm
As long as its clean and respectable, has a bed and bathroom, thats it for me.   I cant see paying a heap for a place to sleep.
animals before people.
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 10:59am
2 questions I ask when travelling. Does  it have a bed & does the price reflect what I’m after

Went on a golf trip a few months back. My mates stayed at a $400 a night joint. I stayed at the local pub……$75

Given we put our heads on the pillow at 2am and left at 7am I reckon I made the smart moveLOL
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 9:16am
PL: LOL

My wife got the video camera rolling and wants to post her views of the accommodation on all her social media outlets....

My feeling is that you really need to experience the OZ outback in all possible varieties so that you can appreciate the *real* good things.

I told her - look, the shower worked. The accommodation had pictures of the past floods in Hay. 

"Hey, you're lucky the Murrumbidgee is kind of placid!

Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:32am
Friends of mine did that drive recently and said exactly the same thing about a hotel in Hay….I wonder if it’s the same one LOL
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 6:18am
I think I've seen a generational rarity!

Drove from Adelaide to Canberra via the Sturt Highway - And the country is lush green ALL THE WAY!

This is January when its supposed to dust bowl brown!

OZ beautiful! (except that my wife thinks that the hotel in Hay s*kked big time!)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 12:34pm
Safe travels Brudder Thumbs Up  See ya at the pub Wink
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 8:36pm
Safe journey old mate . Star
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 7:56pm
I'm returning back to OZ.

The details of the trip from Uzhhorod, Ukraine to Adelaide are bit convoluted since my wife's family is now in Freiburg, Germany so there is a detour through that quaint city for a few days.

For those lucky enuff to be celebrating Thanksgiving Day (Turkey Day) - we will be doing that here in Ukraine with guests.

In the US the best Thanksgiving Day was at Aqueduct when I was living in NJ. Today they don't race on
Thanksgiving any more but a few tracks do including Churchill Downs, Del Mar and Fair Grounds in New Orleans.

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 12:24pm
Rainbow Pie Shop, Milton
Bemboka Pie Shop Snowy Mtns HWay
Nimmitabel Pie Shop Snowy Mtns HWay
Ryes Pies Pambula or Kalaru, Far South Coast No 1!
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:18pm
Best pies in NSW are at the pie shop in Freddo, on the northern outskirts of Kempsey.  Any sort of pie you can think of , they make. 
The ones at the bakery in Merriwa are pretty good too.  Thumbs Up
animals before people.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:16pm
Haha,
No, Im local.
And yeah the upper crust pies are very good.
Usually a line down the road to get in on most weekends.

I highly recommend the Mexican FYIW
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Watching the birds on the beach from your tent at north narrabeen?
On the lagoon?
Your obviously a regular as well Rusty. Maybe we could pitch our tents side by side. You bring the food & grog - & I'll bring the birds  Thumbs Up 
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:57pm
Sister Dot, Barmah closed to horse riders these days thanks to Parks Vic. & the Yorta Yorta who don't even own it, traditionally, but do now due to a dodgy deal with the govt. Angry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:48pm
Watching the birds on the beach from your tent at north narrabeen?
On the lagoon?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:11pm
Our last family holiday was the Narrabeen Caravan Park on the northern beaches here in Sydney. Pub & Club within walking distance - & always get a half decent run on the pokies in both. Also best pie shop in Australia just around the corner. I sit their for hours on end bird watching on the beach through my binoculars whilst downing a few cold ones in my tent. Great fun. Gotta beat hiking in some god forsaken country i reckon LOL 
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 2:00pm
Must have been a section hike? The entire AP is 2,200

Yes, just the section thru the Smokies.  Dont think even back then I could have done the lot. 

Sister, quite a few of the huts have been lost in the fires.  We used to ride and camp in some of them and now they are gone.   And the Govnt are on for shooting the Barmah Brumbies. 
You have to do Ireland.  So so green and beautiful, and so friendly.
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 1:29pm
Best holiday Ive ever had was right here in good old Australia.  We packed up the two german shepherds, two horses, two utes, caravan, installed CB radios and went south for a Victorian holiday incorporating Barmah Muster. Did some team penning there, (its like a stockmans festival) rode the forest looking at brumbies, big day long trail ride with stockmen that did the annual muster. Then off camping beside The Murray with friends, then onto camping by ourselves at stockmans hut up in the Mtns right next to the Howqua River. It was wonderful and all animals behaved themselves, no dramas LOL The scenery was glorious, riding around the stockmans huts and wilderness up there unforgettable. The Muster, located in the Barmah Forest is an extremely well run eclectic gathering of talented horsemen, serious competition and happy horse loving trail riders, supplied delicious camp fire dinner, bands on the rear of a semi, bonfires, market stalls, and informal ride your horse everywhere, no need to walk atmosphere. 
Ireland was always on my bucket list, but not so sure these days. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

A long time ago when I was young and fit, and silly, I hiked the Appalachian Trail thru the Great Smokey Mountains.  Took about 6 ? days, from memory.   Very beautiful country.  Camped at night in bear proof "cages" .   The whole area is so pretty, especially in Fall.

Must have been a section hike? The entire AP is 2,200mi. Would love to get over that side of the country to hike as well. Im planning to do the JMT next. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>