Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Craig Williams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

There is little barrier or on-pace bias at that start these days.

I'm relying on a failing memory , but the last horse I saw win from well back in Randwick sprints were on heavy ground.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:02pm
When you look at the stats for horses that press on from wide draws, you see it is far preferable to easing.
SETTLING POSITION     % RETURN (SP)
1-4                             110

5-8                               84

9-12                             70

13+                               60
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:10pm

When you look at the stats for horses that press on from wide draws, you see it is far preferable to easing.

Good stats Max.. That supports the on pace debate .
Shame for the Everest fav. that connections weren't aware, apparently .
Brownie points for Sunline's argument.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:15pm
Certainly applies over most sprint courses, but curiously not so much at the Randwick 1200, where being in the top 4 in the run from wide, yields only average results.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm
If Redzel stays home, or gets a migraine going around to the start, Vega Magic romps in, and Craig has ridden a blinder. You can over-analyse these things.
Donald Hiltonson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Hiltonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:27pm

Where do those stats refer to horses pressing forward from a wide draw?

And what are stats for horses pushing forward to ride outside of Redzel? Probably not very good I reckon if anyone’s tried it
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
Those are just some numbers I have cobbled together, They are pretty accurate, but of limited utility, as guessing where they finish up in the run in a very inexact science, to say the least. But it does show that pressing on is a better plan, by and large. Depending on the sectionals of course, but you don't know what they will carve out before the jump either. Maybe the smarter jocks know it is more the percentage play, but you don't know what instructions they have been given,that might over-ride their natural inclination.
Donald Hiltonson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Hiltonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:42pm
But the stats don’t tell you what barrier they came from. For all we know from those stats the strike rate of horses pushing forward from a wide barrier might be zero. The stats don’t say otherwise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

There is little barrier or on-pace bias at that start these days.

I'm relying on a failing memory , but the last horse I saw win from well back in Randwick sprints were on heavy ground.

Yes, not a great deal of advantage to be forward in the run there, on the wet, by the looks. Other places, generally still better up front. Getting clods in the face can't make them go forward !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Donald Hiltonson Donald Hiltonson wrote:

But the stats don’t tell you what barrier they came from. For all we know from those stats the strike rate of horses pushing forward from a wide barrier might be zero. The stats don’t say otherwise

I did say wide draws. I think it was either 10 or 11 outwards. But if you back one out there, and even it has a history of going forward, probably still a coin toss what they will decide to do, on the day.
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:44pm
Vega Magic has won 12 races ,but none as quick as this race was ran at . That should tell us something.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:59pm
It tells us nothing. Times on different tracks on different days with different conditions mean bugger all

They run 1:07 for 1200m in NZ
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:08pm
exactly.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 8:48pm
A mate sent me a stat today , CW last 69 rides in Sydney has resulted in 4 winners .. fiddlesticks grand idea to let him ride Vega magic in a $10 million race
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by hatch hatch wrote:

Vega Magic has won 12 races ,but none as quick as this race was ran at . That should tell us something.

Hi Hatch.. Good obs.    . The variables of racing are more complex than Chess.
To win on the punt :- In order:- A bank, Self control of that bank,
recognising poor value,    Patience,
I've got none of the above now days .

Good Form Students have no trouble coming up with enough winners.
Recognise horses are truly honest in the main, only peak near to the Grand Final.
Only give your time to the open class and better restricted age races.
Realise there are few atheists about when the photo is close.
Pleased to see u again.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

It tells us nothing. Times on different tracks on different days with different conditions mean bugger all

They run 1:07 for 1200m in NZ

Fastest in every Race wins it. Variables are many. Sectionals/ Times are just one of them BUT

Name me a champion who didn't register sizzling times and /or sectionals.

NZ times are recorded fast and I'm NOT sure they have Electronics there yet.

The Everest had entries who hold 3 Sydney Course Records. One won it with 1/2 K more weight . The other ( Deploy )went up in class and 2K in weight
   Black Caviar & Miss Andretti who won at Ascot UK still hold several Melbourne course reords.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:28pm
lover of just sitting deep no cover without a care in the world.
Sunline...simply supreme
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

lover of just sitting deep no cover without a care in the world.

Caul 1200m mate. Only one turn, it gets said time after time. Can't be said enough.
Craig had him right where he mapped, in the perfect spot to win for that course but found one better.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:40pm
I agree it's not a harsh deep run, no question. But it doesn't change that it's better again to be one off the fence or leading. My only question there is, when you've drawn 10 and your horse begins like a bull out of a gate and you can get across with some urgency, why hand up and let them muster underneath you? He just sits there casually as though he's riding in Ireland.
Sunline...simply supreme
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:45pm
Well he did identically the same as McEvoy did on Earthquake in the Blue Diamond. As predicted Earthquake sat wide until time to straighten and won.

Jukebox found one too good. Take a sit and run the risk of running 3rd.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:51pm
According to Trakus JUKEBOX covered 2m more than FORMALITY
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:12pm
Scamanda , I note your point re the tracking but when your horse is pulling why take hold to sit 3 wide , surely pushing forward to the breeze or lead its is a better option , let McEvoy run you down not visa versa . I thought it was brain dead ride and yes I backed it .
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm
Can only hope the fish he is having this week is high in omega 3s to enhance neurotransmitter connection and cognitive function so as to give Amelies Star every chance in the cup on Saturday.

After vega magic, now jukebox today I'm not sure I could handle another willow stinkfist when so much is at stake
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:32pm
You blokes are concentrating too hard. Hang loose !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
I'm still waiting to hear from someone who was gifted a winner, because some jockey on an opposing runner, rode a dodgy race. One day......
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:19pm

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who was gifted a winner, because some jockey on an opposing runner, rode a dodgy race. One day......

We were gifted a winner today Max ..   Our star trifecta The 3 S's got onto a time horse and spread the word at nice odds.=    God bless him . Osborne's Balls .. ( Whale will fix the spelling )
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:43pm
Well some of Sydney,s finest left a gap a mack truck could get thru on the rails , for Robert, who took full advantage of it, and won on his only ride in Sydney .  I think it was , anyway.  Last Sat.
So I think I was gifted a winner thanks to all the rest of the jocks in that race on Sat.
The old bushie blew them away LOL
animals before people.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:27pm

I backed Redzel, so.......
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:30pm
In all seriousness, they weren't going that hard in the Everest and Williams was on a G1 1400m animal that does most of his winning from the pointy end of the pack... in my mind, he wussed out of a speed battle that didn't exist.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:34pm

I had $10 on Prince of Penzance in the Melbourne Cup, did send a thank you message to Dettori
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>