Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Our Century (IRE)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
Comment from Nick post race was that they might wrap him in cotton wool and send him to the paddock after a tough run in the wet. They want to win the Melbourne Cup....again
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm
I guess you can't blame Team Williams from following the 'light' Autumn prep formula.

But its a shame that they consider a time honoured $2m race like the Sydney Cup too inconsequential to bother running in.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 9:14pm
Like Goathland, Kim Waugh also purchased this imported stayer from Lloyd for $145,000.

He’s showed real glimpses of what he’s capable of. Not sure if he’s had injury niggles in the past few years, or whether he’s another victim of Lloyd mismanaging his career.

Look forward to seeing what Kim can do with him.
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:58pm
This horse has a win it
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

This horse has a win it

Hope you and the Lord were behind the plunge!Clap
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:52am
Always loved this horse and thought he was dreadfully unlucky a couple of times.. in fact backed him for Melbourne cup last year.. he is talented.. not Melbourne cup but Kim Waugh has got another good one...

Interesting Kim Waugh with two of the past runners as winners from Lloyd’s yard.. not surprising at all as these horses are all very talented most of the time, Lloyd just wants MC’s and to trim his yard if he feels they’re not MC quality
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Always loved this horse and thought he was dreadfully unlucky a couple of times.. in fact backed him for Melbourne cup last year.. he is talented.. not Melbourne cup but Kim Waugh has got another good one...

Interesting Kim Waugh with two of the past runners as winners from Lloyd’s yard.. not surprising at all as these horses are all very talented most of the time, Lloyd just wants MC’s and to trim his yard if he feels they’re not MC quality

On his website it says all of his horses are for sale, make us an offer.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Does you have a link to his website, It does not come googling his name ?
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Never mind gave it a second thought and googled Macedon. Wink
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Like Goathland, Kim Waugh also purchased this imported stayer from Lloyd for $145,000.

He’s showed real glimpses of what he’s capable of. Not sure if he’s had injury niggles in the past few years, or whether he’s another victim of Lloyd mismanaging his career.

Look forward to seeing what Kim can do with him.

Be interesting to see how they campaign him. 

I hope he goes next into the Brisbane Cup.

I suspect he will go Lord Mayors Cup on 26th May but I do hope it is the Brisbane Cup 2200m on 9th June.

I would not rule the Melbourne Cup out with him, He will need to boost his rating another 6 points which should not be too hard to do to scrape into the bottom of the weights.

reductio ad absurdum
Tim Whiffler View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Whiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:21pm
Interesting & astute purchase by Australian Bloodstock. They would have remembered him losing the Manion Cup on protest to their own Big Duke (10 lengths back to third on a bog track). For $145k (if correct) there are plenty of rich pickings in the Spring & Autumn in Sydney for this lad, especially as he can handle the wet. Think Metrop, St Leger & Syd Cup etc.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:49pm
LLOYD Williams is the gift that keeps on giving for Kim Waugh after she trained Our Century to a win in the Listed Lord Mayors Cup (2000m) at Rosehill.

Waugh’s husband and former Test cricket great Mark is good mates with Williams and last year told him if he wanted to sell any of his stayers his wife would take a look at them.

The Waughs purchased Goathland and Our Century for $145,000 each.

Goathland won on debut for the stable at Randwick on Anzac Day and Our Century is on his way to the Group 2 Brisbane Cup after beating Ecuador by 1½ lengths, with Nettoyer third.

“I love Lloyd Williams,” Waugh said. “They live like they do at Lloyd’s. They’ve got plenty of paddocks and get spoilt and have adjusted to our way easily.

“I was confident because he was working as well as Goathland and they’re both flying. The tricky barrier was what I was a bit reserved about.”

Waugh’s confidence levels weren’t as high during the race however after jockey Jason Collett couldn’t find cover and was stuck out deep shortly after the start. He finally got up outside the leader Ecuador in the back straight and moved up to him the straight.

“It was a sensational win because he had such a tough run,” Waugh said.

“He was first-up over 1400m where I wanted to run him over further but he was strong through the line that day. I didn’t want him three-deep, being his second-up run over 2000m, and he was three-deep for half the race.

“When he got across I thought ‘oh well, he’s done a bit of work’ and it ended up being a strong win.”

Our Century got to the lead at the 300m and Collett rode him confidently to the line as he powered away from the field. He will next run in the McKell Cup (2400m) in three weeks at Randwick before heading north.

Collett said it was a tough win, but after he overcame the wide run and put the field away the hoop was kind on him to the line.

“He was very quick away, but we couldn’t slot in,” Collett said. “He was able to get outside the lead and to do it all while still on the bridle made me quite confident when I got to the leader and saw Ecuador under pressure.

“I just think he was the superior stayer. Gee, he looked good in the yard and it gave me confidence going to the barriers. It was soft on the line and soft going around the home turn. Even when I went for him it was very easy.”

Adam Hyeronimus said Ecuador produced his usual “super performance” but the big weights are making it hard for him to secure wins.

He is very tough. He bowled a long at a nice tempo. I wanted to pick up at the 700m and try and catch them off the bridle knowing he can sustain a run,” Hyeronimus said. “The winner was ready for it outside me but to fight on and just get beat a length, he has done a super job.’’

Brenton Avdulla rode another of the race’s fancies, Nettoyer and she, once again, had to come from the back of the field but couldn’t pick up the winner when he sprinted.

“I thought she had every chance, to be honest,” Avdulla said. “She gave me the perfect ride and jumped into the bridle and put herself into the race but she just wasn’t good enough. Softer ground would probably help her.”

Alward firmed in late and was sent out a $2.80 favourite and didn’t have the easier run in transit but should have put up a better fight than what he did when beaten at the 300m to finish seventh.

“We were probably a pair close early but from the gate we wanted to be closer and that’s the only spot we had,” jockey Tye Angland said.
ready2run View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ready2run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:18pm
Nom'd for the Doomben Cup today.
Tell the truth - there is less to remember
ready2run View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ready2run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 5:43pm
Just wins tomorrow in the McKell Cup at Randwick.

Another example of trainer, Kim Waugh's ability to place her horses well.

3rd up and out to 2400m off a good draw with all the pace drawn outside of him sees him getting an easy run for mine and will be too strong for this field.
Tell the truth - there is less to remember
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:32pm
Kim does place her horses very well.

The McKell Cup tomorrow does look a perfect assignment for OUR CENTURY.

I imagine that bigger things planned for the Spring - Metropolitan Hcp & St Leger would be a perfect target races.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:02am
He may have missed the Spring, but on yesterday’s excellent return at Rosehill, Kim Waugh has a great chance to pick up some of those Listed/G3 summer staying races in Sydney.

Summer Cup, Xmas Cup & Tattersalls Cup, maybe even Gosford Cup.

He’s only had 4 runs with Kim since being sold by Lloyd Williams and he’s already recouped the $145,000 purchase price
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:21am
Xmas Cup - tick

Tattersalls Cup - next up

Sydney Cup - plan for the autumn

Good luck to Kim in aiming him at the 2019 Sydney Cup. He would gave gone close to winning the Sydney Cup in 2017 if Lloyd didn’t snub the race. Would be great to see the horse get a 2nd chance under a smarter trainer like Kim.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:23am
Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:29pm
6 starts for KIM WAUGH

Returning approx 255k. 

Missed a placing once for her at unsuitable 1400.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:50am
Scratched from the Tattersalls Cup at Randwick today, hope nothing is amiss with him?

Today’s race would have been an easy $76,500 for connections if he’d run.

Really a very disappointing field without him there.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:57am
Diabolical field.

reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:50am
Isn’t today’s race on the Kensington track?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:07am
Yes.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Diabolical field.

It really is diabolical isn’t it, especially compared to the VRC Bagot Hcp which is being run for similar prizemoney also at Listed level.

I’d have thought that when initial nominations for the Tattersals Cup were extended, that some more Melb horses might have made the trip to Sydney but it seems David Hayes is the only one to take advantage of this with Earth Angel. She’s a very limited mare but is well bred and HHD recognised she’d be a big chance to pick up a black type placing by running in Sydney & enhance her pedigree page.

Darren Weir could have split his team across the 2 races?   Gai’s import Goodwood Zodiac would surely be a better chance of picking up a cheque in Sydney rather than at Flemington. Similarly for Snowden’s Californiagrandcru. Eric Musgeove took Noumea to Sydney a few weeks ago but is now back in Melb and running today in a race in which he has little chance of any prizemoney - yet if running in Sydney he’d be a big chance to run 3rd.

And no horses backing up from the Summer Cup, despite several of them looking better placed at 2400m, like Satono Rasen & Roman Son perhaps?

Apologies to Our Century for hijacking the thread to lament the size & quality of Sydney staying races. Rant over
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
Weir doesn’t go to Sydney. His horses can’t win there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12