Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Northern territory prison brutalisation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Dylan Voller is a repeat offender ,     Has spent more time in,  than out of gaol in recent years.
  Officers have been charged and acquitted in the past of abusing him by rough handling .
That hasn't stopped him from actually being interned in an adult gaol NOW for further crime .
( For an ice-fuelled gangland-style robbery and attempting to run over cops,)    Nice Boy aye .

Anyone volunteering to adopt him .   Please queue up.

I understand where you are coming from but what were his circumstances, his role models and such ?

How old was he when he first offended and what was the resultant punishment ?

My guess is that they should not be imprisoned as such they need some other sort of discipline in their lives.

When they serve their time in detention where do they go ?

You would think their experience in prison would be enough for them not to want to reoffend yet they are in and out of the system. Something is wrong with the system from the start. 

reductio ad absurdum
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Go Flash Go Go Flash Go wrote:

You seem to be new here Rattlesnake suggest you don't waste your time persevering "with the half baked"  unless you enjoy it of course Wink

more snide..
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:36pm

Dylan Voller is a repeat offender ,     Has spent more time in,  than out of gaol in recent years.
  Officers have been charged and acquitted in the past of abusing him by rough handling .
That hasn't stopped him from actually being interned in an adult gaol NOW for further crime .
( For an ice-fuelled gangland-style robbery and attempting to run over cops,)    Nice Boy aye .

I have a relative that worked in a Darwin High school for many years . Some of the students were totally out of control and very difficult to manage . They had zero respect for any authority and had no problem letting you know . 
I sure wouldn't know how to deal with them . Its a really difficult issue and probably a generational one , whereby a lot of these kids are lifetime criminals and lost forever but hopefully the next generation is better .  
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but what were his circumstances, his role models and such ?

How old was he when he first offended and what was the resultant punishment ?

My guess is that they should not be imprisoned as such they need some other sort of discipline in their lives.

When they serve their time in detention where do they go ?

You would think their experience in prison would be enough for them not to want to reoffend yet they are in and out of the system. Something is wrong with the system from the start. 

There in lies the problem.       Dysfunctional family maybe but many things are ...... " easy to say " .      Rehabilitate ,    Counsel ,    etc.      ( waste of breath.)
        Unfortunately ,   these misfits are going to progress to much worse things and we will complain that we allowed them to be released early.
     I note with Interest , when I talk to people I know who have worked or lived among these communities .           They have a very different opinion than the many who fall victim to the medias out of context presentation.
     Just like ( Ivan Milat )   these incorrigibles , have 25 years before the Courts ,In Gaols ,   until,   ( like Ivan)  they graduate to the ultimates of Rape & Murder.

No easy answer,  short of the noose.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:45pm
  Always nice to get these PM's .           I will share this one with you.
-------------------
Subastral's brain!
I couldn't post in the thread, but thanks Maccamax, best laugh I have had in a while...LOLLOL
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm

There in lies the problem.       Dysfunctional family maybe but many things are ...... " easy to say " .      Rehabilitate ,    Counsel ,    etc.      ( waste of breath.)
        Unfortunately ,   these misfits are going to progress to much worse things and we will complain that we allowed them to be released early.
     I note with Interest , when I talk to people I know who have worked or lived among these communities .           They have a very different opinion than the many who fall victim to the medias out of context presentation.
     Just like ( Ivan Milat )   these incorrigibles , have 25 years before the Courts ,In Gaols ,   until,   ( like Ivan)  they graduate to the ultimates of Rape & Murder.

No easy answer,  short of the noose.

At what age do you give up on them ?

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:52pm
macca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what's going on here? You know PMs are private even tho' in this case it seems harmless.
Anyone'd think it's a full moon tonight Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

macca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what's going on here? You know PMs are private even tho' in this case it seems harmless.

None of my business but I suspect its not real.

LOL
reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Harmless as you say ...     I was just getting the point over that quite a few don't mind some banter . 

I wasn't aware ..   sorry ..     Macca
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

I have a relative that worked in a Darwin High school for many years . Some of the students were totally out of control and very difficult to manage . They had zero respect for any authority and had no problem letting you know . 
I sure wouldn't know how to deal with them . Its a really difficult issue and probably a generational one , whereby a lot of these kids are lifetime criminals and lost forever but hopefully the next generation is better .  

Perfect Thumbs Up and how was the intrepid 4 corners "Journalism" on this - l won't hold my breath Wink
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
The behaviour of one doesn't justify the other Macca. Some may be beyond rehabilitation but if you're responsible for managing them and you can't do the job 'properly' then there are two options - pass the problem up the line and/or find different work. Brutalising anyone in incarceration is hardly likely to make them better people.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:09am
whats wrong with my suggestion ?
contraception for welfare ?
and remove kids at risk ?
too hard maybe ?
or too old fashioned for the new latte sippers who have never been out among it .
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:50am
The height of stupidity is to judge someone's life when not knowing the 1st thing about them.  You could not be more wrong about AA, she has lived o'seas in various countries for years and travelled extensively, now enjoying a quieter life in the country. You really have no idea

And as far as I can see she is simply responding to your attacks, certainly not stalking you, the reverse is true.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:55am
LOL,,,now come back gogos,,,and tell me and whale to get a life ,,again.LOL
We have a life , and its a good one.Thumbs Up
Whats your life like,  short of getting pissed on a flight to Thailand and getting kicked off ???LOL
oh no,,sorry,, we are stalking you,,again Wacko
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:38am
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

The behaviour of one doesn't justify the other Macca. Some may be beyond rehabilitation but if you're responsible for managing them and you can't do the job 'properly' then there are two options - pass the problem up the line and/or find different work. Brutalising anyone in incarceration is hardly likely to make them better people.
Any suggestions on how to do it PROPERLY ?
    I do accept your initial response to the low key handling of the inmates in the 4 corners program.
 How gentle those Officers were in restraining and hooding  the young man who has since graduated to armed robbery and trying  to run down Police in a vehicle ( In Gaol now for that ) .      I hope it isn't someone close to you or me when he takes the next step to doing " Life "

When people are responsible for managing these types ..      They go to work each day and actually expect their day to be full of the incidents you witnessed on 4 corners.       ( These days they Video these happenings in case they need the evidence )        The hooded man did have officers charged on another occasion and they were acquitted.

The Public are repulsed by such things as the restraint chair , the hood ( all legal ) and the officers were guilty of nothing.
    A bit more physical in other video  shown but  didn't injure anyone.  We only saw selected shots.
   Any Royal Commission will not  find against the Institutions but will suggest we magically REHABILITATE .        Encourage the Parents to give up the grog & drugs and look after the Kids .
 The very few Law abiding citizens will be banned from protecting their residences from the Gangs by Razor wire as that could be a risk to the health of machete wielding Burglars.
   AND these Judgements will be made by some goose from Law School , who has never seen conflict and lives in Point Piper where the mediun house price is $14 million .  
  Similar Enquires  have been held at Bourke , Moree , Dubbo  , Kempsey, Wilcania etc.etc.    for years.
     Good Luck RAT ,   I know your a well meaning Gentleman.     Cry
gogos View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

The height of stupidity is to judge someone's life when not knowing the 1st thing about them.  You could not be more wrong about AA, she has lived o'seas in various countries for years and travelled extensively, now enjoying a quieter life in the country. You really have no idea

And as far as I can see she is simply responding to your attacks, certainly not stalking you, the reverse is true.

More lies. She started stalking me 2 days ago.

I could careless about her and her cat.

She is obsessed with me.

Sadly Whale you're also a stalker. 22000 posts. Awesome champ.

gogos View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:01am

Any suggestions on how to do it PROPERLY ?
    I do accept your initial response to the low key handling of the inmates in the 4 corners program.
 How gentle those Officers were in restraining and hooding  the young man who has since graduated to armed robbery and trying  to run down Police in a vehicle ( In Gaol now for that ) .      I hope it isn't someone close to you or me when he takes the next step to doing " Life "

When people are responsible for managing these types ..      They go to work each day and actually expect their day to be full of the incidents you witnessed on 4 corners.       ( These days they Video these happenings in case they need the evidence )        The hooded man did have officers charged on another occasion and they were acquitted.

The Public are repulsed by such things as the restraint chair , the hood ( all legal ) and the officers were guilty of nothing.
    A bit more physical in other video  shown but  didn't injure anyone.  We only saw selected shots.
   Any Royal Commission will not  find against the Institutions but will suggest we magically REHABILITATE .        Encourage the Parents to give up the grog & drugs and look after the Kids .
 The very few Law abiding citizens will be banned from protecting their residences from the Gangs by Razor wire as that could be a risk to the health of machete wielding Burglars.
   AND these Judgements will be made by some goose from Law School , who has never seen conflict and lives in Point Piper where the mediun house price is $14 million .  
  Similar Enquires  have been held at Bourke , Moree , Dubbo  , Kempsey, Wilcania etc.etc.    for years.
     Good Luck RAT ,   I know your a well meaning Gentleman.     Cry

Let the professionals solve it. Forum experts won't.

gogos View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:26am
More abuse
More stalking
Creepy
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:52am
every thread on here is turning into a focus on gogos.
lets all just ignore gogos.  
dont respond.   dont even let him think he exists.

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 3:12am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Naughty   AA.
           That is being racist .
            He is a wog you know.
gogos View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 3:23am

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Naughty   AA.
           That is being racist .
            He is a wog you know.

The poor old cat woman has lost it.
Rattlesnake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Video of Voller being stripped naked and abused by authorities when he was 11, and continued abuse at 13 and 14 and so on, and people still want to blame the kid......

Detention centers have procedures in place when an inmate threatens self harm.

One of those procedures in this case was to remove the inmate's clothing to reduce risk of self harm.

If corrections staff didn't follow procedure and the inmate managed to kill himself, you'd be the first person on here complaining about the injustice of it all because procedure wasn't followed.

There may also be culpability issues for correctional staff if they knew the inmate threatened self harm, did not remove their clothing as procedure directed, and the clothing was used by the inmate to harm themselves.

If the inmate refuses to comply with directions to remove their clothing, force obviously needs to be used. You can't wish clothing off somebody. A hashtag wouldn't help either.

When harsh reality of a violent/confrontational situation clashes with the opinions formed by people after watching a few moments of CCTV and having no understanding of the circumstances.
This is a very interesting observation, and deserves comment.

The fact that this individual is NOT just another black death in custody or suicide statistic, but is in fact now, as a 19 yo adult, able to apparently articulate his remorse, is being completely overlooked ...

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though some people are able to respond to points being made, they just skip over what's uncomfortable for them to address.

What subastral is asking for correctional staff to do in the case of stripping the inmate of their clothing and give them detention center issued clothing, is ignore procedure and burden themselves with personal risk.

If a staff member knew of a self harm threat, did not follow procedure, and the inmate ended up injuring or killing themselves with their own clothing, possible criminal and civil cases could be brought.

The fact the the inmate was 11 is irrelevant. The procedure was in place at a juvenile detention center, which means the procedure was meant to be applied to young people.

The ABC lead with the footage and photographs of the hooding and wrist restraints as it's cleary the most provocative, and yet that situation is probably the easiest to explain out of all the 'abuse.'

No one who first saw the images or footage as abuse is yet to give any reply to those who have explained in what situations hoods and wrist restraints are used. Again, it's just skipped over because it's been explained in a rational manner that doesn't fit the initial emotional response.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:50am

Solitary for 5 days, a so called riot, 1 guy is out of prescribed area , guard say gas them all, I don't care how much chemicals you use.

Can you admit anything, is it possible some guards are desensitised, some are sadists, some commit human rights abuses and flaunt the guidelines, miscreants amongst guards should be inveatigated ?

No i am not saying all guard, or all American cops etec etc, just a small percentage of bad ones.

It is all or nothing with you guys, no flexibility of thought

I would definitely agree with that, especially the desensitization part. It's human nature that after years of having to deal with that sort of behavior, a person could become desensitized to it.

There will be bad apples in any profession, and they absolutely need to be weeded out.

What I don't agree with is people launching into labeling others as abusers when they are following procedures in place to deal with specific behavioral issues (e.g. spitting -> use a hood)

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:28am

Seriously? He's simply trying to excuse/rationalise away what is clear brutality - by both an individual and a system. How that brutality comes to exist and is permitted by authorities is the real question. Invariably the answer is  - money and priorities. The measure of a society is its honesty and compassion - easy to say, a lot more difficult to uphold, especially when you're at the coalface. 

Played footy with a young bloke years ago. Wild young guy who liked a beer and was as hard as nails on the field. I'd never have guessed but turns out he had a heart of gold. Saw some scratches and scars on his hands and arms one day at training and enquired about them. Turns out he was employed as a wardsman in a mental illness institution where getting attacked was an occasional job hazard. He shrugged it off because as he said, 'it's not their fault'. Understanding and at least some compassion goes a long way.

He sounds like a good man who had a very helpful mindset considering the profession he was in.

Do you think that, over the course of his career as a warden, you'd be able to find any 5-10 second pieces of footage where he's having to use force, or apply techniques, that would in isolation look heavy handed? I'm positive you would.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by gogos gogos wrote:

She is obsessed with me.

so funny 103 posts yesterday till 12 midnight, omline from 8.30 am to 1.37 sm the next day  wow Ouch

Plus no doubt countless thousands of posts on another racing or sports forum, impressive LOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:52am
  Considering the large numbers of  incorrigible people in our criminal / Psychiatric areas and the need to safeguard  the Public & themselves.
   PLEASE detail what those  Officers did young , given the volatile environment they were in.     ?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:53am
  correction =    What the Officers did wrong.
gogos View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 11:27am

Originally posted by gogos gogos wrote:

She is obsessed with me.

so funny 103 posts yesterday till 12 midnight, omline from 8.30 am to 1.37 sm the next day  wow Ouch

Plus no doubt countless thousands of posts on another racing or sports forum, impressive LOL

Yet more stalking. No opinion on topics.

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though some people are able to respond to points being made, they just skip over what's uncomfortable for them to address.

What subastral is asking for correctional staff to do in the case of stripping the inmate of their clothing and give them detention center issued clothing, is ignore procedure and burden themselves with personal risk.

If a staff member knew of a self harm threat, did not follow procedure, and the inmate ended up injuring or killing themselves with their own clothing, possible criminal and civil cases could be brought.

The fact the the inmate was 11 is irrelevant. The procedure was in place at a juvenile detention center, which means the procedure was meant to be applied to young people.

The ABC lead with the footage and photographs of the hooding and wrist restraints as it's cleary the most provocative, and yet that situation is probably the easiest to explain out of all the 'abuse.'

No one who first saw the images or footage as abuse is yet to give any reply to those who have explained in what situations hoods and wrist restraints are used. Again, it's just skipped over because it's been explained in a rational manner that doesn't fit the initial emotional response.

Your ability to blame the victim and rationalise obvious abhorrent behaviour and "procedure" is legendary although it comes with the territory so we shouldn't be surprised. The fact that Turnbull and Brandis would implement a RC suggest even your con pals think this sort of treatment of offenders - particularly young offenders - is grossly inappropriate. It appears you support stripping people of their clothing as a measure to prevent self-harm. Interesting insight into your character for those who haven't already worked it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the August 2015 report by the commissioner into the 2014 gassing at Don Dale centre.

Among its findings, the report says the extended use of solitary confinement “was inappropriate and did not comply with the Youth Justice Act”.

It found the six youths had been held there between six and 17 days. The maximum under the Act is 72 hours (three days).

It also found that the department’s version of events used to justify the use of tear gas was “inaccurate and misleading”.

Bath’s investigation noted that two children playing cards in their cell were also punished alongside the key perpetrator. They were gassed and transferred to the adult prison – in contravention of the Act – with “spit hoods” on. That footage was seen on Four Corners last night.

.....It’s not the first time Dr Bath has tried to raise the alarm. He also wrote a still suppressed 2012 report into the systematic abuse of Dylan Voller, 18, who has been repeatedly institutionalised since age 12. The Northern Territory government has not released the report.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-truly-shocking-thing-about-the-nts-juvenile-detention-abuse-is-how-many-times-the-alarm-was-raised-and-ignored-2016-7

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:46pm
 3 Blind Mice.       Truly , you have no idea of the environment and the difficulties involved in the every day management of incorrigible people.
     You saw nothing on 4Corners .     On the scale of 1 to 10 ,   you saw 1.
All of these inmates are there for very good reason .     In the main to try and keep the community safe .
   Do gooders  scream now but Much louder when they become a victim of these criminals.

These teens serve their apprenticeship in areas like 4 corners filmed.  AND their coming to a place near you.

FYI .    Clothes are stripped from these people so they cant use the materials to strip and hang themselves from (say) a door knob.        So they cant eat them , choke themselves with them.
   The restraint chairs prevent self harm or violence to others  ( allows the madman to settle in a low stimuli environment ) 2 hours in this case.
   The hood prevent spitting body fluids at others .  ( obvious reasons )

We have terrible murder rates , people disappearing ,    rapes , domestic violence ,    Home invasions etc.      >>      These are the people responsible .     Do you really want them on the streets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>