Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pakistan Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

I read something about 'large fans' but looking at photos i dont know what they're talking about exactly. Did the same thing in his breeze-up too
Gets back a mile and finishes like a rocket.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:02pm
Looks like they’ll need to get him away from Sha Tin. Hopefully they bring him out here
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
Wins trial on dirt leading.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm
Doesn't count towards getting back to the track unfortunately
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 8:49pm

Renowned horse whisperer Monty Roberts in Hong Kong to work with Tony Cruz on Pakistan Star

While the cameras are focused on the headline acts for the internationals, a team is working hard behind the scenes to get the enigmatic galloper back to the races

Moments before the world’s racing media gathered to watch some of the world’s best racehorses to prepare for this weekend’s Hong Kong International Races, the horse that was meant to have been the centre of attention on Sunday, Pakistan Star, quietly cantered down the back straight alongside a lead horse without a single camera on him.

It was a routine Pakistan Star has completed without drama every second day for the last three weeks, as the talented but troubled galloper is re-educated after dramatically stopping in a race in June and then repeating the effort at exactly the same spot on the track during a barrier trial earlier this season.

The difference this time was that among those watching was world-renowned “horse whisperer” Monty Roberts, who has been hired by owner Kerm Din to consult with trainer Tony Cruz to get Hong Kong’s most famous racehorse back on track.

The 82-year-old Roberts likes to say he works with people, not horses, and he came away impressed with the way trainer Tony Cruz and trackwork rider Chris “Critta” McMullen handled Pakistan Star during his morning routine.

“Mr Cruz was very nice and cooperative, he is obviously a good horseperson – he is a champion jockey and a champion trainer too, and I respect that,” Roberts said.

“Some people said he might be difficult and not receptive but he was great. I felt like there was mutual respect there and some respect for what I do in the world. We had a good conversation.”

Roberts insisted that his consultation was exactly that – a conversation – and that his work for now with the horse was “hands off” and would simply involve observing Pakistan Star’s behaviour and the way he was handled and making some suggestions.

“We haven’t changed anything,” he said, although Roberts did admit “of course I wish I could take him home to my farm in California and work with him”.

“But I just saw the horse, I haven’t gone near him or touched him. I am making some recommendations. And those recommendations are strictly for the owner and trainer for now.”

Stable transfers, sea changes and shocks; how to fix Pakistan Star

Cruz was grateful for the input and said the next step was approaching Jockey Club officials for permission to implement some new ideas.

“It’s great that Monty came out this morning – now we have to take the suggestions to the club,” Cruz said. “The main thing is that we are all working with the same motive, to get the horse back to the track and racing again. And the horse is definitely on the right track, everything about him has improved. Right now, Pakistan Star is doing things smoothly.”

Roberts also sat down with Jockey Club chief executive Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges and was seen in a long discussion with chief steward Kim Kelly after watching Pakistan Star’s exercise.

“I had a good discussion with Mr Roberts, not just about Pakistan Star, but about horses in general,” Kelly said. “Ever since the first incident in June I’ve been speaking to Tony and looking at ways to assist him, as we would with any trainer in this situation. We just want the best outcome for the horse.”

http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/2123375/renowned-horse-whisperer-monty-roberts-hong-kong-work-tony-cruz

reductio ad absurdum
WOFTAM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOFTAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 8:59pm
So they've bought a stick with a rag on the end now! Wink
"One more start"
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:07pm
Interestiny
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:24am
Won his 2nd trial today no problems. Should be able to resume racing again.
Rusty101 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 7:27pm
Strike me, Schofield just slaughtered him big time.....again! 
Careful he doesn't end up like Miracle Mal.....
Rusty
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 8:28pm
What are you talking about?

Schofield did not ride in the race
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Rusty101 Rusty101 wrote:

Strike me, Schofield just slaughtered him big time.....again! 
Careful he doesn't end up like Miracle Mal.....

Might want to double check that
Rusty101 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
My bad, meant Chadwick, gets the gig back after being dumped for a string of shockers, blows the start, won't hold that against him, then proceeds to bustle the horse into the box seat completely extinguishing the famous after burners.
Rusty
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:14am
Watched the replay..

horse rears at the start misses it by 2 L

gets urged up on the rails.. hardly gets run off its feet.. settles nicely in 3rd / 4th.. gets every chance..

should it race at the tail of the field it runs a slashing 4th...

compared to a 4th just grinding home
take your pick what you wanna see

its not gonna run over the top of the leaders when the horse that has lead / sat 2nd has been able to win

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
Think Rusty is alluding to the fact that he got going inside the last 50, but wouldn't go between horses when the opening presented at the top of the straight.

Considering the overall race time, I would be looking to a similar forward position next start, with the top priority being outside when the whips are cracking.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:33am
Monty may be required by the connections of Chautauqua!
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:03pm
Hmm this horse is a myth
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:34pm
More reliable than Weir.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:34pm
G2 Chairman's Trophy (1600m) on April 8, G1 APQEII Cup (2000m) on April 29, G1 Champions & Chater Cup (2400m) on May 27 will be his programme.

The Hawke
reductio ad absurdum
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
Kerrin McEvoy to ride on Sunday
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:48pm
RING IN 
reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:53pm
Decided he wanted to run today
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:07pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:11pm
reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:20pm
Backed something else in the race but cheered him home
Well deserved win

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm
Massive blinkers on him.... So not to look at that place he likes to stop.

All on the rails and not settling 25 lengths last helped today.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:26pm
I had two that used to stop when you needed their best effort.

Problem is, this horse doesn't have a divorce Court to fix the problem.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:11pm
Well how about that, He is a 2000m-2400m horse. 

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:16pm
Five starters in a Gp1?  You'd think we were in Ireland.Shocked
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:19pm
quality over quantity.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>