Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pakistan Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pakistan Star
    Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:14am

Pakistan Star retires to Living Legends

Enigmatic galloper Pakistan Star has officially been retired, with the internet sensation and former Hong Kong-based superstar set to join Living Legends for the next stage of his life.

The son of Shamardal captured the attention of racing fans all around the world with his remarkable debut win at Sha Tin in July 2016, where he came from tailed-off last to score.

While he then went on to rise to the top of the ranks in Hong Kong, running second to Rapper Dragon in the 2017 Hong Kong Derby, he soon created headlines for the wrong reasons, pulling himself up in the 2018 Group 3 Premier Plate as the $1.20 favourite.

Trainer Tony Cruz was able to get Pakistan Star back to the races the following season and back to his very best, capturing the G1 QEII Cup for visiting rider William Buick and then the G1 Champions and Chater Cup under Tommy Berry.

"I rode him in a trial before the Champions and Chater Cup, it was on the course proper, and I'll never forget it," Berry said.

"He led the trial up, he started to pull up and I got back to about second-last, I gave him a click again and he came back to almost win the trial. It just shows you how talented he was on his day.

"When I won the Champions and Chater Cup on him, he was the dominant stayer in the race, and he treated them with contempt.

"He was a quirky animal, I was going through a bit of stuff with Chautauqua at the same time with him not jumping out of the gates, so I had these two horses that I was riding at the same time, both had their little tricks and nick nacks.

"I like riding horses like that, they've got a personality, they're not easy to get the best out of, but when we do and when we see them at their best, they could do incredible things on the racetrack.

"I think I'll remember him as just being a quirky horse that had a good personality, he was actually a very good ride when you were on his back, he was an absolute gentleman."

That was to be the fifth and final win in Pakistan Star's career, as he failed to return to that same vein of form and was eventually transferred to Paul O'Sullivan's stable.

While he was never far away in his four starts for the Kiwi expat, Pakistan Star would return to his old tricks, pulling himself up again in the 2019 G2 Jockey Club Sprint, which brought an end to his career in Hong Kong.

He was then sent to Doug Watson's stable in Dubai in a final roll of the dice but pulled himself up at his second start in the UAE last month and was banned from racing there.

Now a nine-year-old, Pakistan Star will fly to Australia in the next few months to spend his retirement at Living Legends, where he will be one of several former Hong Kong-based gallopers enjoying life after racing in the paddocks there.

"Living Legends is the international home of rest for champion horses, and I think he's an international horse that's had a whole lot of profile really, for better or worse I guess in some ways," said Living Legends CEO and Veterinary Director, Dr Andrew Clarke.

"He'll bring a lot of interest; I think there will be a lot of interest with international visitors, and I'll certainly be very excited to see how he transitions to his life after racing.

"We're looking to get him into our Legends Under Saddle program, so we'll do our usual program, which first off is to give them a good six months, let them have a really nice break and just clear their heads of racing.

"Then we'll start him with the round yard work and see if he stops when he goes for a ride in the park, I guess!"

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm
Apparently he'll be first cab off the rank in their new "Living Legendary Headaches" paddock.  Wink
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 5:19pm
Great news. Will have to go and visit him when he arrives.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
Officially retired & off to Living Legends Clap Clap Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:30pm
Wow copped a squeeze and opted out. Reminds of a good heel in the wrestling. LOL
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:52am
He certainly has a mind of his own....LOL 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:23am
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
Good resumption.
Not much luck closing stages
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
Did that self promoter ? Montey get his hands on him at one time? Or was that a publicity stunt?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm
😆
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:16pm
Clearly a light of other days.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Five starters in a Gp1?  You'd think we were in Ireland.Shocked

Both Ireland and France ( 2 group 1s,  1 with 5 and the other with 6 runners )  have  5 horse group 1 races today. LOL
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:19pm
quality over quantity.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:16pm
Five starters in a Gp1?  You'd think we were in Ireland.Shocked
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:11pm
Well how about that, He is a 2000m-2400m horse. 

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:26pm
I had two that used to stop when you needed their best effort.

Problem is, this horse doesn't have a divorce Court to fix the problem.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm
Massive blinkers on him.... So not to look at that place he likes to stop.

All on the rails and not settling 25 lengths last helped today.

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:20pm
Backed something else in the race but cheered him home
Well deserved win

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:11pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:07pm
reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:53pm
Decided he wanted to run today
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 8:48pm
RING IN 
reductio ad absurdum
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
Kerrin McEvoy to ride on Sunday
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:34pm
G2 Chairman's Trophy (1600m) on April 8, G1 APQEII Cup (2000m) on April 29, G1 Champions & Chater Cup (2400m) on May 27 will be his programme.

The Hawke
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:34pm
More reliable than Weir.

reductio ad absurdum
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 5:03pm
Hmm this horse is a myth
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:33am
Monty may be required by the connections of Chautauqua!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
Think Rusty is alluding to the fact that he got going inside the last 50, but wouldn't go between horses when the opening presented at the top of the straight.

Considering the overall race time, I would be looking to a similar forward position next start, with the top priority being outside when the whips are cracking.
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:14am
Watched the replay..

horse rears at the start misses it by 2 L

gets urged up on the rails.. hardly gets run off its feet.. settles nicely in 3rd / 4th.. gets every chance..

should it race at the tail of the field it runs a slashing 4th...

compared to a 4th just grinding home
take your pick what you wanna see

its not gonna run over the top of the leaders when the horse that has lead / sat 2nd has been able to win

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Rusty101 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
My bad, meant Chadwick, gets the gig back after being dumped for a string of shockers, blows the start, won't hold that against him, then proceeds to bustle the horse into the box seat completely extinguishing the famous after burners.
Rusty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>