Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Howard Be Thy Name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howard Be Thy Name
    Posted: 14 May 2016 at 7:00pm
That is all.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 7:02pm
👍😊
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 10:46pm
Howard Be Thy Name

John Allen aboard Howard Be Thy Name (Image: Atkins Photography)

Derby dream a reality for Johnny Allen

Tom Biddington@TomBiddington

5:40pm

, (

Once a battling Irish jumps jockey, John Allen is now a Group 1 winner.

The fairytale came true at Morphettville on Saturday as Howard Be Thy Name continued his remarkable form to take out the South Australian Derby.

Allen is known as one of the hardest workers in the Darren Weir stable and the master trainer rewarded that effort with the Group 1 ride.

The jockey, who just a week-and-a-half ago won the Galleywood Hurdle with Gingerboy, rewarded the faith as Howard Be Thy Name knocked off Etymology and Cool Chap to claim the $500,000 feature.

Allen has been in Australia for ‘four or five years’ and was revelling in the biggest moment of his career.

“I came from Ireland as a battling jumps jockey hoping to get a few rides and I’ve managed to win a Group 1 now - it’s unbelievable,” Allen said.

“It’s just great to get the opportunity. I’m very grateful to Darren and all the connections.

“It was probably a big call to put me on in a Group 1, I’m sure there were plenty of other jockeys available.

“On a personal level, it’s great knowing that I’m able to compete against the top flat riders in the world.

“Sometimes jumps jockeys have a bit of a stigma, but we’re every bit as good a riders as any of the flat ones.”

Howard Be Thy Name

Trainer D.K.Weir
Age 3YO
Sex Colt
Colour Bay
Prize Money $203,090
Last 5 -1111
Career 10-4-3-3
POS Jockey Track Date DIST Race WGT MRG Odds
1 – 16 J.M.Allen MORP 14 MAY 16 2500m SA DERBY 56.5kg 0.5L $5
1 – 12 B.Rawiller MORP 30 APR 16 2020m CHAIRMANS 57.5kg 2.3L $2.50
1 – 17 J.M.Allen MORP 16 APR 16 1800m PT A GNEAS 57.5kg 1L $5.5
1 – 8 B.Rawiller PAKM 31 MAR 16 1600m BM70 57.5kg 0.3L $2.30 %
2 – 6 B.Rawiller HOB 5 FEB 16 2200m TAS DERBY 57kg 0.2L $3.20

Howard Be Thy Name has gone from strength to strength since finishing runner-up in the Tasmanian Derby, rattling off four-straight wins including the traditional lead-up races - the Port Adelaide Guineas and Chairman’s Stakes.

And the stable hopes he’s not done yet, with a trip to Queensland now on the agenda.

“He’ll be straight on the plane and go to Brisbane and have a crack at the Derby up there,” stable foreman Jarrod McLean said.

“It’s a great result to get the Group 1 and great for Johnny Allen to be rewarded for his hard work.

“Darren Weir rewards everyone who works hard for him.

“Weiry had no hesitation at all (to put him on in a Group 1).”

The win was Weir’s 12th Group 1 victory and completed a huge day for the stable with seven victories across three states including three at Caulfield.

Meanwhile at Caulfield, Tavi Bay launched her bid to be a Queensland Derby (2400m) horse, winning The Jericho Cup in 2018 Handicap (2000m) at her first attempt at 10 furlongs.

A daughter of Tavistock, the Henry Dwyer-trained filly can follow on from Tarzino (Victoria Derby), Tavago (Australian Derby) and Werther (Hong Kong Derby) as a Derby winner for the boom sire this season, with the $600,000 Group 1 feature at Eagle Farm on June 11.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:33pm
Bring on QLD
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:38pm
$8 William hill for QLD
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Bring on QLD

Was very dominant
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:25am
Great work Sky. Super confident all week.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:54am
Running in the 2200 this weekend in Bris
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:26pm
I think he'll be running extremely well again today despite the little setback this week.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

I think he'll be running extremely well again today despite the little setback this week.

Not doubting you but where was this reported ?

Is it an excuse to give him a run today ?

reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:35pm
Was in the H/Sun today. Not really a setback but he was on the float to the airport tuesday night and got a phone call to turn around as the flight was cancelled. ended up flying out wednesday night
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:40pm
just keeps stepping up to the plate, bring on the derby
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:56pm
Howard Be Thy Name, who is trying to become the first horse to complete the South Australian-Queensland Derby double, has also spent the past few weeks in the Sunshine State and had his first run the clockwise-way of going when third in the Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes at Doomben last start.

"I thought he was really good - obviously his first time that way," Weir said.

"He was steaming home really well and he just had to change course a bit the last 200m but he still ran through the line really well and got around that way of going.

"It looked a nice trial for the Derby."

He has drawn barrier two for Saturday's $600,000 feature and is proven over the trip - key reasons why Howard Be Thy Name has been backed into $4.40 favouritism with CrownBet.

The only real concern is the weather, with last weekend's deluge costing him a crucial gallop.

"Unfortunately, the weather has been a bit hit and miss up there, he's probably missed one gallop, but he was very fit going up there so hopefully that won't matter," Weir said.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 4:54pm
Giddy up Howard, track will suit him beautifully. No excuses in the world today
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:01pm
I'm on at $5 - reckon he wins.
Sunline...simply supreme
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:07pm
Ordinary ride, too far back
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:19pm
Again I think of Gai..................
reductio ad absurdum
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:21pm
You seem obsessed with her lately
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:31pm
Has come to the end of his prep. I feel ,also very hard back where he was, have to be reasonably handy on the turn.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Ordinary ride, too far back

He missed the kick by 5!
Sunline...simply supreme
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:22pm
Qld form looks good. Nice chance today for a place
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:47pm
outclassed, but I think he can show something today. Just want to see him hitting the line.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 5:06pm
I think Weir was right. This horse is not ready for the Melbourne Cup. Needs another year . Just hope the owner doesn't pressure him into running Tuesday
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:00pm
Good to see him back
Will find this too short, but will be happy to see him running Home strongly
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:51pm
I think he wins today
Looks magnificent
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm
Huge run with the massive amount of weight
He’ll be winning again soon (if placed right) which is hard for a horse like him.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:17pm
Kristen Manning will however be over the 'moon' with Artie Shore finally winning another Big smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Kristen Manning will however be over the 'moon' with Artie Shore finally winning another Big smile

Kristen Manning @RacingPedigrees 15m15 minutes ago

thank you one of my all time fav boys ARTIE'S SHORE, Woodford Cup winner - our 100th winner as owners, a MASSIVE thrill! Thank u to everyone at Matthew Williams Racing

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:36pm
3rd time lucky in the Cup for Artie

As for Howard, looks like he could be heading down to Tassie for the Cups
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:57pm
Might be ready to win today
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>