Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Matt Cumani

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:49pm
Extract from the RAD decision - the commencement of the suspension was put off for 7 days so I assume no issues with having starters during that period:

In relation to each of charge 1 and charge 2, Mr Cumani is convicted and the following penalties are imposed and are to be served concurrently with one another: 

(i) Mr Cumani’s licence to train is suspended for a period to expire at midnight on Monday, 31 July 2017. The commencement date of the period of suspension is deferred for 7 Clear Days from today’s date; and 

(ii) A fine of $20,000 is imposed – due on or before 31 July 2017.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 1:12pm
Andrew Eddy@fastisheddy 12:07pm O
,(
Matt Cumani restrained his celebrations on Tuesday after his Magic Millions Classic contender Anthemoessa drew perfectly in barrier four as the trainer is still not certain whether the filly can make it to Queensland in time for Saturday's race.

Anthemoessa, who has been runner-up at both her starts, was to fly out to the Gold Coast on Monday night but was taken off the plane due to extra cargo and Cumani on Tuesday he had no guaranatees that the filly can make it to Queensland for the $2million Classic.

"We've done the hard part but seemingly the hard part is getting up there," Cumani lamented.

"We're booked on flights every night but it's a pretty dodgy set-up with the flights as we get bumped off if there's more cargo so we're a little bit nervous about it."

Fellow Ballarat trainer Darren Weir confirmed on Tuesday that he too is awaiting news on when his four contenders over Saturday's Magic Millions program - Lucky Hussler, Ozi Choice, Nikitas and He's A Moral - can make the flight to the Gold Coast.

"We had no luck last night but I'm hoping we can get two on tonight and the other two on the following night," Weir said. "But with these things, you never can be too sure."

WATCH: Anthemoessa's last-start second to Ollivander

Given the uncertainty surrounding the availability of flights from Melbourne, Cumani said he was looking at arranging his own air transport to ensure the filly got her chance to race for the $1.2million first prize.

"What I am hoping to do is to charter a flight but I need everyone else (other trainers) to agree and ideally I need someone to guarantee the flight," he said. "We're happy to pay a large chunk of it but I don't want to get lumped with paying for the whole charter myself."

Cumani is concerned that Weir's horses might make it north over the next few nights, leaving him holding the bill for the charter.

"He (Weir) might get preference over us because he's got more horses and he does it (fly to Queensland) a bit more regularly.

"Weiry told me from his experience that you are a two in three chance of getting a flight so that's pretty poor odds if you ask me.

"We can't do much but wait for the call. We try and keep in touch (with airline transport). We tend not to get anything definite until about 10 o'clock at night but we're ready to go at any time they give us the OK.

"But we were booked last night and got bumped off."

The urgency to get Anthemoessa to Queensland became a little more pressing after she came up with what Cumani thought was the perfect barrier on Tuesday morning.

"We're (barrier) four and probably three if the emergency doesn't get a run. Both the owner and I got asked independently what barrier we would prefer and he said four and I said three so we both got our wish

Edited by Gay3 - 09 Jan 2018 at 1:33pm
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Andrew Eddy@fastisheddy 12:07pm O
,(
Matt Cumani restrained his
celebrations on Tuesday after his Magic Millions Classic contender
Anthemoessa drew perfectly in barrier four as the trainer is still not
certain whether the filly can make it to Queensland in time for
Saturday's race.

Anthemoessa, who has been runner-up at both her
starts, was to fly out to the Gold Coast on Monday night but was taken
off the plane due to extra cargo and Cumani on Tuesday he had no
guaranatees that the filly can make it to Queensland for the $2million
Classic.

"We've done the hard part but seemingly the hard part is getting up there," Cumani lamented.

"We're
booked on flights every night but it's a pretty dodgy set-up with the
flights as we get bumped off if there's more cargo so we're a little bit
nervous about it."

Fellow Ballarat trainer Darren Weir confirmed
on Tuesday that he too is awaiting news on when his four contenders
over Saturday's Magic Millions program - Lucky Hussler, Ozi Choice,
Nikitas and He's A Moral - can make the flight to the Gold Coast.

"We
had no luck last night but I'm hoping we can get two on tonight and the
other two on the following night," Weir said. "But with these things,
you never can be too sure."

WATCH: Anthemoessa's last-start second to Ollivander

Given
the uncertainty surrounding the availability of flights from Melbourne,
Cumani said he was looking at arranging his own air transport to ensure
the filly got her chance to race for the $1.2million first prize.

"What
I am hoping to do is to charter a flight but I need everyone else
(other trainers) to agree and ideally I need someone to guarantee the
flight," he said. "We're happy to pay a large chunk of it but I don't
want to get lumped with paying for the whole charter myself."

Cumani
is concerned that Weir's horses might make it north over the next few
nights, leaving him holding the bill for the charter.

"He (Weir) might get preference over us because he's got more horses and he does it (fly to Queensland) a bit more regularly.

"Weiry
told me from his experience that you are a two in three chance of
getting a flight so that's pretty poor odds if you ask me.

"We
can't do much but wait for the call. We try and keep in touch (with
airline transport). We tend not to get anything definite until about 10
o'clock at night but we're ready to go at any time they give us the OK.

"But we were booked last night and got bumped off."

The
urgency to get Anthemoessa to Queensland became a little more pressing
after she came up with what Cumani thought was the perfect barrier on
Tuesday morning.

"We're (barrier) four and probably three if the
emergency doesn't get a run. Both the owner and I got asked
independently what barrier we would prefer and he said four and I said
three so we both got our wish

Wow, how stressful! Sounds like a logistical nightmare. Silly question - is it too stressful on them to go by road?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
It’s more of a timing issue.
Too much time spent standing in the float.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:17pm
They get travel sickness from having their head up in the truck
to the victor
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

They get travel sickness from having their head up in the truck

Correct , they don't get the airways drainage with their heads tied up and the gunk goes back down into their lungs.
Makes them really sick.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:45pm
Sent a mare to Scone a year and a half ago, a trip of about 10 hours.

She got travel sickness, which wasn't immediately diagnosed I have to say, and since then has been an absolute nightmare.  Crook, lack of appetite, weakened system unable to effectively fight infection or illness, slipped her foal, not well enough to conceive this season just gone.

Not her fault, and all essentially down to the road trip.  

And what about Jameka?  Suspect she might be finished as a racehorse due to the same debilitating malady.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Sent a mare to Scone a year and a half ago, a trip of about 10 hours.

She got travel sickness, which wasn't immediately diagnosed I have to say, and since then has been an absolute nightmare.  Crook, lack of appetite, weakened system unable to effectively fight infection or illness, slipped her foal, not well enough to conceive this season just gone.

Not her fault, and all essentially down to the road trip.  

And what about Jameka?  Suspect she might be finished as a racehorse due to the same debilitating malady.

That's bad luck mate.
Hope the mare recovers in time
Its a shocking thing , they get so sick
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:04pm
Yes that’s right regarding Jameka. She almost died from travel sickness when being floated back to Melbourne from Sydney. I read recently she is back in pre training at Ciarons Pakenham farm (run by ex Waller foreman Justine Hales) her owners have said they will retire her if she doesn’t cope with being back in work, just giving her every chance of being a racehorse again before she goes to stud.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
Another example also recently Weir couldn’t get onto the plane so opted to drive Sooboog and El Divino north for a Group 1 Race. They both got crook and had to be scratched.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:52pm
SYLPHEED (AUS)Chestnut filly 2013 
Real Saga
Bay 2006
Tale of the Cat
Bay or brown 1994
Storm Cat
Bay or brown 1983
Storm Bird
Bay 1978
Northern Dancer
South Ocean
2-d
4-j
Terlingua
Chestnut 1976
Secretariat
Crimson Saint
2-s
8-c
Yarn
Bay or brown 1987
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Narrate
Bay or brown 1980
Honest Pleasure
State
11-f
2-f
Windy Kate
Bay 2000
Air Express
Bay 1994
Salse
Bay 1985
Topsider
Carnival Princess
5-h
16-g
Ibtisamm
Chestnut 1981
Caucasus
Lorgnette
5-g
17-b
Kate Be Good
Brown 1988
Semipalatinsk
Bay 1978
Nodouble
School Board
A1
23-b
Kaoru Katie
Chestnut 1977
Kaoru Star
I'm a Charmer
31>
2-j
Domitilla
Bay 2005
Strategic
Chestnut 1992
Zeditave
Chestnut 1985
The Judge
Bay 1975
Showdown
Bellition
6-b
2-b
Summoned
Chestnut 1978
Crowned Prince
Sweet Life
4-d
1-n
Sudden Impulse
Chestnut 1980
Luskin Star
Chestnut 1974
Kaoru Star
Promising
31>
2-e
Sweet Embrace
Chestnut 1964
Todman
Miss Port
1-u
2-g
Miss Carefree
Bay 1997
Last Tycoon
Bay or brown 1983
Try My Best
Bay 1975
Northern Dancer
Sex Appeal
2-d
8-f
Mill Princess
Bay 1977
Mill Reef
Irish Lass
22-d
8-c
Lady of Renown
Bay 1983
Lord Seymour
Bay 1977
Habitat
Lady Seymour
4-r
14-c
Toltrice
Bay 1969
Matrice
Tolaldo
7-d
43>
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m x 5m Kaoru Star5f x 5m
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:56pm
Sylpheed

Sylpheed's audacious million dollar bid?

Kate Watts@katewatts_

2:43pm

Matt Cumani is embarking on an unprecedented plan to win Saturday’s Magic Millions Trophy (2200m).

Cumani has accepted with his sprinting mare, Sylpheed, eleven days after she ran in the G3 Standish Handicap (1200m) down the Flemington straight.

The mare’s past five starts have all been over six furlongs, but the Ballarat trainer has confirmed she will be taking her place in Saturday’s $1million race on the Gold Coast.

The five year-old has just one owner, the Japanese-based Mr T Sekiguchi, and it appears he’s the one calling the shots to step her out so far in trip.

“It’s not exactly my first choice to have her in that race on Saturday,” Cumani said from the Gold Coast.

“The owner has been very determined to have her in this race, so that’s the plan we’re going with, we don’t get too much say.

“She’s had two starts with us and in that time I haven’t actually ever spoken to him directly, but  have been informed that this is the path he wants to take,” he said.

Cumani is the third trainer to stable the daughter of Real Saga, after stints with Toby Edmonds and Gai Waterhouse.

In that time the mare has never raced above a mile and never won at more than 1350m, so Saturday’s 2200m poses an interesting test.

“It’s not ideal, obviously the 2200m comes up a bit soon for her,” Cumani said.

“But in the past two weeks we have been working on adapting her style of running with the plan to step out in trip, making sure she’ll be relaxed.

“She’s used to just charging flat-out from the barriers so we’ve had to calm her down for that a bit too,” he said.

But Cumani agrees it’s an interesting task having the five year-old step out so far in trip, he doesn’t think she’s as suited to the sprinting distances either.

“I think a mile will be her best distance, she showed in the Standish that she’s not speedy enough for 1200m.

“She galloped over 1400m up here on the Gold Coast on Tuesday and was very good so we’ll just have to see how she goes on Saturday.

“She’s shown a lot of promise and I’m hopeful that if her owner and I can both have our interests met, she could end up being one of the best horses in my stable,” Cumani said.

The Ballarat trainer might get the chance to express his interests to the owner in person this Saturday, with the possibility that he might make an appearance to watch Sylpheed on the Gold Coast.

“I’m told he might be there, we’ll just have to wait and see,” Cumani said.

“Her colours are orange, a colour that he loves apparently and I’ve heard that if he comes there’s a good chance he’ll be all dressed up in orange so keep an eye out for him.

“She’s got a half-brother by Zoustar on sale here too this week, so you never know he might be coming to buy him as well,” he said.

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:03pm
Very interesting read
Sheera View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 7:44am

I know she was in much better form but last year she wasn't disgraced in at MM in the F&M over 1300m. Coming from last at the 400 to get within 4L of Invincibella. Not sure if her racing manners, especially while still fresh will suit the 2200m though. 

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Jan 2019 at 8:34am
GO SHIRA
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:05am
Why not grow a pair Matt? go on, I dare you.......you are the third trainer, to lift your profile and credibility in the public eye a simple press release, ''Please come get your horse Sir, it's not fair on her or me to be forced to run in a race she hasn't been trained for, it's likely to damage her physically and mentally not to mention me, for the reputation of MM and Cumani racing, please send a float to pick up your lovely filly as I wont be a party to this''!.....that's what you should do Matt.....but you haven't, however it's not too late. #cruel
Oh, by the way, QLD Stewards should/could step up here, if they are serious about animal welfare, because that's what it is.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Why not grow a pair Matt? go on, I dare you.......you are the third trainer, to lift your profile and credibility in the public eye a simple press release, ''Please come get your horse Sir, it's not fair on her or me to be forced to run in a race she hasn't been trained for, it's likely to damage her physically and mentally not to mention me, for the reputation of MM and Cumani racing, please send a float to pick up your lovely filly as I wont be a party to this''!.....that's what you should do Matt.....but you haven't, however it's not too late. #cruel
Oh, by the way, QLD Stewards should/could step up here, if they are serious about animal welfare, because that's what it is.

Hysterical.

reductio ad absurdum
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
Even Robbie Laing is shaking his head at this one.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:26am
I actually think the owner is right. I wouldn’t be shocked if she won
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

I actually think the owner is right. I wouldn’t be shocked if she won

What makes you say that?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:54am
Reckon something has got lost in translation here. Bloke probably wanted her in the F&M race.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:12pm
Cumani knows exactly what he is doing. Just just slanting it his way to not look like a fool! Prob poached the owner to spend his money at up coming sales. Quite typical of trainers these days. Get the money in the stable and hope they buy more horses.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:33pm
Sylpheed ran a super race. Think she clung on for 4th
This space has been intentionally left blank
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:13pm
No it didn't hang on to 4th. But has obvious talant! Just needs to be trained!! But has done job. Cumani has followed orders and probably gets some more horses off owner
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:16pm
Finished 5th beaten just over 2 lengths.
Francesca has been riding her work all week and thinks she would be a nice 2000m horse, just need to teach her to settle - which she did today.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:41pm
Sylpheed is Coming off a month freshen up, out to 2500m on Friday night.
Will be interesting
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:33pm
Sylpheed did a good job first go at 2500m

Might get to 3000 next time out
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:45pm
Sylpheed back today over 1200m
Aiming towards a Caulfield Cup and/or Arc according to the trainer (tongue in cheek)
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:07pm
Sylpheed for sale in the current Inglis Online catalogue. 

She is in foal (served Dec 1st) to Better Than Ready.

Current bid $200k.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:10pm
It'll be a mug's bid by the end of the day.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 9:05pm
Passed in with a 250k reserve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456