Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Matt Cumani

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Bart didn't do a bad job on Oz training tracks nor does Waller seem to be struggling too much Wink 

C.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:53pm
We don't do the whole National Hunt thing out here, so when you put that in with other racing too you can kind of see where people might get that idea, but out here staying is definitely considered 2000m+
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:34pm
James Packers ,Frank paid 6000guineas for the Pinza-Method Colt at the Sydney Easter Sale in1956. Topped the sale Pinza English Derby winner .The foal came in Uturo. (If that's the right word) I know I saw him ,sadly lacked talent, father Kerry owned good horse Foresight won many, he was by Wilkes..FR .
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:35pm
Grandad
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Sworn Revenge Sworn Revenge wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

A 2400m race is considered a staying event in every major racing country in the world.

To be fair to Morston having lived in the UK for 25 years their racing community believe staying races commence at the St Leger distance and upwards

Indeed....and that is where I live now...20 minutes from Newmarket

The St Leger is the final classic of the season for 3yo. I have never heard the Derby (2400m) referred to as a 'staying' race

There are quite a few 2yo races run at 2000 m (mile and 2 furlongs) towards the end of the season.

A mile and a half race (2400m) is considered middle distance.
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:52pm
Can't edit

Meant to say that a mile and a half is considered middle distance regardless of it's official designation.
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Morston Morston wrote:

Can't edit

Meant to say that a mile and a half is considered middle distance regardless of it's official designation.

Here is just one example where a mile and a half is considered middle distance

https://www.ascot.co.uk/History-King-George
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:07am
May have been wrong about the 2200m black type Japan race.

Kyoto - Nov 26th - 2000m Group 3
Nakayama - Dec 25th - 2000m Group 2

Saint-Cloud - Late Nov - 2000m Group 1 - Criterium de Saint-Cloud

Newmarket - October - 2000m Listed - Zetland Stakes

England - 2 2000m Maidens and 1 2000m Nursery
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 6:51pm
Getting back to Francesca's brother...

LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:32pm
Matt Cumani and Show A Star

Matt Cumani and Show A Star (Image: Racing Photos)

Matt Cumani puts on a city Show

Luke Sheehan@LukeDSheehan

3:17pm

, (

The Matt Cumani ball is well and truly rolling in Victoria, the Ballarat-based trainer getting his first metro winner with Show A Star at Caulfield.

The ex-Gai Waterhouse-trained galloper has had two starts for Cumani, 35, and after threatening to be his first overall winner first-up at Geelong in April, Show A Star became his third when honouring $5 favouritism in the Peter Jackson Handicap (1400m).

Cumani said he couldn't believe he was already a winning trainer in metro company - coming just 44 days after having his first runner on April 1.

"I thought it might take me a little longer to get a Saturday winner at Caulfield, but I'll take it," Cumani said.

"I feel silly saying it hasn't sunk in, I'm not an Olympic athlete or anything like that, but for me, it's a big milestone.

"I hope they [metro winners] will be common in the future, but for now, it feels like a huge step from where I have been a few days ago, a few weeks ago and six months ago."

Cumani, who has 12 boxes at his disposal but will have 40 by year’s end with more being built at Ballarat, paid due credit to Jordan Childs for his winning ride.

Childs has three rides for two wins aboard the four-year-old gelding, also winning for Waterhouse on Ballarat Cup Day.

Cumani said Childs' decision to take a sit behind the leaders vindicated his pre-race thoughts.

"Jordan rode a beautiful race, as I was desperate to see what he'd do in behind," the son of legendary trainer Luca said.

"I said if you can't get the lead, don't panic, he'll settle I'm sure.

"At home, he settles in gallops.

"He got him going nice and early, and he was gutsy right to the line."

Childs' only non-winning ride on the horse was in a 2040m race at Moonee Valley - the last run under Waterhouse - and Cumani said Gai advised him her belief now that the mile was his best trip.

That option looks to be the next step in Show A Star's progression.

And for Cumani, he has gone from getting his training licence at Christmas, to his first runner on April 1, to his first city winner 44 days later. Talk about fast tracks, Cumani's training career has been on one.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:24am
Cumani said Childs' decision to take a sit behind the leaders vindicated his pre-race thoughts.

"Jordan rode a beautiful race, as I was desperate to see what he'd do in behind," the son of legendary trainer Luca said.

Wow, not only got one of her escapees to settle, but also to win without leading ... is that even possible?

... AND he only charges 10%, AND he pays for his own airline tickets ... unheard of!!!LOL

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

We don't do the whole National Hunt thing out here, so when you put that in with other racing too you can kind of see where people might get that idea, but out here staying is definitely considered 2000m+

Staying racing in Australia is anything beyond 1400m.

reductio ad absurdum
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:56am
No it isn't. Staying in Aus is 2000+
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:50pm
Not only is their no national hunt, our hurdling side has diminished more and more, and we're now seeing these import stayers who don't measure up on the flat going over them, which in the short term is probably going to stabilize the hurdling industry.

I haven't heard much about the protestors this year, are they still being as much of a nuisance as they always are?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:55pm
They're alive & kicking on FB along with their normal non factual rants e.g. pic of Bashboy supposedly depicting Tuscan Falls Unhappy
Also making good use of their new whizz bang ultra long lensed camera to get footage from off course.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:10pm
More horses die in top notch stud farm paddocks then over hurdles, these guys are loonies, why don't they go harass the RSPCA about doing their job properly.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Wow, not only got one of her escapees to settle, but also to win without leading ... is that even possible?

... AND he only charges 10%, AND he pays for his own airline tickets ... unheard of!!!LOL

he's had more wins that Gai

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:26pm
Great to be born into money... Victorian taxpayer Ballarat club build you a $1.25M training complex. What a turn out
to the victor
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:56pm
Perverse
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 7:21pm
Business is about making money & only a couple of years ago, the BTC was a long way in the red. I've no idea how this is progressing but the more trainers they can attract, the better their book balance & with strong competition from Pakenham & Cranbourne, every effort needs to be made, silver spoon or otherwise.
The media love DKW & now have Cumani to fawn over as long as winners continue to flow so I imagine building more boxes to be money well spent.
As an aside, I saw the blueprint for these stables & more, many years ago.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 7:52pm
And his a young trainer, from overseas, which gives him an appeal and decent potential to grow his stable numbers, especially if he proves a decent trainer with stayers and imports.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Great to be born into money... Victorian taxpayer Ballarat club build you a $1.25M training complex. What a turn out

I nearly f**king vomited when I read this
Dead set , you have to be a cheat or 'in the club' to kick on in Vic.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:05pm
I'm all for building more stables - everywhere and for everyone - I'm sure there's plenty of young local trainers who would have appreciated a tenth of this opportunity. Media would fawn over anything remotely related to Francesca even if it trained out of the standard stables that everyone else has to use!
to the victor
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:13pm

So what exactly is involved in this training complex ?

Have they learnt anything from Japanese and European training complexes ?

What sort of tracks do they have ?
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:15pm

I'm all for building more stables - everywhere and for everyone - I'm sure there's plenty of young local trainers who would have appreciated a tenth of this opportunity. Media would fawn over anything remotely related to Francesca even if it trained out of the standard stables that everyone else has to use!

Stables ?

Is that what this is about ?

I doubt it makes too much difference to the horses if they are air conditioned 7 star stables if the training tracks are the same stupid garbage we see at all the other training centres around this Nation. 

reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:20pm
On what basis does a government - esp a Labor govt - and a racing club provide funds for infrastructure for the exclusive use of "one" person/business?  
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:25pm
I would have thought that the MRC as the most progressive club in AUS would have tied him up.

Clever move by Ballarat - will make the money back but must feel for other trainers. 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:31pm
Are you certain what you're maintaining is correct 3bm?

You may well be correct, however my understanding is that the design overlay for the new stabling complex provides for multi-trainer use.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:32pm
If the tracks training wise are that bad why are o/s trainers coming here .sh$thouse stake money where they were , or is it stability.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:34pm
Last post for djebel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>