Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australia's Whip Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:37pm
The trouble is

the rule is a joke

and the penalties do not deter.

Work on the theory that the owner is prepared to compensate on fines, "GREG HALL /SLIPPER style"...only difference GREG got time.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 12:00pm
Just for the record

NOWRA..last race yesterday.

CANALETTO just won in a 3 way go to the line.

Canaletto – J Victoire pleaded guilty to a charge under AR137(A)(5)(a)(ii) in that he used the whip on 11 times prior to the 100m, 6 more than permitted. J Victoire’s license to ride in races was suspended for a period to commence on Sunday 9th July 2017 and to expire on Sunday 16th July 2017 on which day he may ride. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:41am
Can somebody who has access please copy and paste an article in todays Heraldsun regarding Lloyd Williams calling for the banning of whips ?

Thanks.
reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:52am
Yes I noticed Williams on one of those CH68 shows saying whips should go.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 9:57am

Australian racing’s most decorated owner has called for the immediate banning of whips.

Lloyd Williams, who has raced a record-breaking six Melbourne Cup winners, wants whips outlawed as outrage over animal cruelty accusations haunt the industry.

Focus on animal welfare in racing has heightened since last week’s ABC expose on the barbaric treatment of former racehorses in gruesome abattoirs.

Williams is concerned at how racing – his lifelong passion – is perceived beyond its bubble and is particularly alarmed at the damage caused to its image by whip use.

He believes the only solution is the complete removal of an instrument many in the industry describe as a “safety tool”.

Racing jurisdictions abroad have taken steps to take the whip out of the sport.

Whips are banned in harness racing in parts of Europe and the California Horse Racing Board this year introduced a proposal described as the “most stringent racehorse whipping ban in the nation.”

Under the proposed new rule, whipping of horses will no longer be allowed at any state-sanctioned track for any circumstances other than “when necessary to control the horse for the safety of the horse or rider.”

Trainer Ciaron Maher does not believe there is need for change.

“I just think the stewards are doing the right thing,” he said. “The whips are padded, they're tested. I think all horses are different, some need it and some don't.

“I think the stewards are doing a great job policing that, there's fines, there's suspensions if it's overused.

“It doesn't always have to be used, it's a discretionary thing. I just think everyone is getting a bit carried away.”

Champion jockey Craig Williams said: “We’re only participants and we're governed by the rules that we've been given and we're mindful about the welfare of the horse.

“The whip has been introduced as being a padded, proven it doesn't hurt or inflict pain on a horse, and in regards to the rules that they bring out we’ll just have to adapt to them.”

Damien Oliver says it’s too early to remove the whip.

“I think it’s still premature to be thinking about that,” he said. “They’ve got a good handle on it at the moment if you do transgress there’s penalties there certainly to stop you from going overboard with it.
“Now using the padded whip we’ve gone a long way from where we were in recent times.

“I still think it’s quite an important tool as far as getting the best out of the horse and also for the punters to perceive every horse is there to win as well, so you got to find that balance as well.”

A Racing Victoria spokesman said the use of padded whips is continually monitored.

“While our veterinary team are not seeing any evidence of a welfare problem on raceday, we understand the need to consider the perception of the padded whip and this is something that the industry nationally must continue to debate,” RV said.

“As events of recent days have shown, it is important that all within the Australian racing industry recognise that community expectations continue to evolve. We understand that and will ensure that they remain a key consideration.”

Australia needs to be at forefront and withdraw the whip,” Williams said. “If we are not proactive, the industry will be lucky to survive.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:00am
Thanks Mr. Bob 👍
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:04am
If the whip is padded and causes the horse no pain, why would it make them gallop any faster?Geek

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

If the whip is padded and causes the horse no pain, why would it make them gallop any faster?Geek

If my dear old mother had hit me with the feather end of the duster when I needed behavior modification it would not have worked.Wink

Simon Cameron

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:53am
It's funny how the Williams stable has gone off the boil at carnival time and out comes this little pearler, if the racing fraternity all over the world are dirty on padded whips they really should start on banning ALL chemical or synthetic additives and banning people for life who continually break the rules of racing , the 7 year long doping of horses in swabbing boxes under the nose of officials is the greatest scourge in racing I've heard of , padded whips ...they are all show , the cracks are amplified because they are padded, and now you have mugs in the ATC who are allowed to grow marijuana, of topic it maybe but it's all arse up.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 11:00am
🤔
reductio ad absurdum
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 11:01am
I am sure you meant ACT.... but it would explain some of the behaviour of V'Landys and co.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 11:06am
Yeah I did.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 12:44pm
It beggars belief all those saying "It doesn't hurt, only makes a noise"  well Censored people, give yourself at least a hearty slap with one, then come back & reiterate Angry
The put welt marks on skin, how can they not hurt?
I'm not fussed either way but for heavens' sake, stop saying it doesn't hurt!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:11pm
If only my teacher had a " padded" cane ( probably received more ) but I've noticed quite a few hit rather low ( e.g. flank even gaskin area) but the padded whip to my knowledge was designed to soften the impact but maintain a persuasive point, my previous post may have seemed a bit erratic but the mention of California and their new whip rules made my blood boil , it's drugs not whips they should be concentrating on imo, animal welfare and integrity are our main issues, apart from the winning post the swab box is the most important place on a racetrack and it was left unattended for 7 years to give these flogs a free hit, that's the elephant in the room not whips.
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:26pm
if they ban the whip, what will B.R & J.A jam into their necks?
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:45pm
time has come for jocks to be suspended for whip breaches 
And be in play for protests. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:10pm
Looks like Walker is right up there after today ?
animals before people.
Fri View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:01am
As far as i know in South Africa the number of times a jockey's whip can be used during a whole race is seven. And a maximum of five strokes can be administered in the last furlong. Why shouldnt this work in Australia too? Plus recently there have been run some races without whips at all at South Africa, as a trial. Just some thoughts...
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:05am

Is this a fact about whip free races in South Africa ?

I assume they carried whips for safety ?

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Nov 2019 at 10:24am
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:46am
Will not have to worry about the whip rule after the next two years as it will be banned by then.

If you are truly worried about the sight of a jockey whipping a horse, jockeys should only be allowed to use the whip if a horse is shifting its ground or if there is potential for danger to other horses and riders, but the jockeys have shown they can not self regulate so, just ban the use of the whip.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 11:50am
It will never happen , get use to it , its a major part of the wheel.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:20pm
I think it will happen Carioca.  Public opinion and animal libbers will force their hand.  
animals before people.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 2:53pm
Then we tackle spurs. 😳😳
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Then we tackle spurs. 😳😳

I assume your part of " WE" mc41.
Fri View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Is this a fact about whip free races in South Africa ?

I assume they carried whips for safety ?

Here is a link:
https://www.racingpost.com/news/south-africa-trial-whip-free-races-as-public-pressure-mounts/352783
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Then we tackle spurs. 😳😳

I assume your part of " WE" mc41.

Tongue in cheek.  
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I think it will happen Carioca.  Public opinion and animal libbers will force their hand.  

This is the VERY problem of the Racing Industry.
They feel some pressures, then go into marginal damage control, shove it under carpet, pretend things are okay, then repeat.

The Racing Industry shouldnt need animal liberation to be the voice.
The answers of animal care, need to actually come within the hearts and souls of those within the industry.
They need to have some serious meetings. The big players, the country players, the board room players. All of them need to come together, through their own hearts. And make strong decisions about animal welfare.

Guess what is going to happen if they dont do this??

Mark my words, the industry is digging its own grave.
It is going to die.

Stop bloody waiting for animal lib to chant "shame shame shame".

At the very least, improve the standards, and changes, by 50%.

If they means by getting rid of whips, then do it.

Animal lib want horse racing banned completely.

The rate this is all going, the racing industry is digging its own grave towards oblivion anyway.
And if you dont think that, you seriously have your head in the sand.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:37am
Should of been policed harder from the out set! Horses should of been disqualified! It was never done that is why these peanuts will throw caution to the wind in our most scrutinised race! MONEY
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:00am
Why not have whip free races on each program. Maybe 2yo and 3yo races, and then study results, betting turnover, change of times, form inconsistencies etc. if jockeys need a whip for safety, allow it but disqualify horses that get whipped. Even backhanders. Worth a try. And the better horsemen would shine.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:05am
Can anyone confirm whether it’s true that the padded whips don’t actually hurt and it’s all about the cracking noise they create? I’m going to test one on myself when next in a racing stable but happy to hear from others in the meantime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>