Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2016 Yearling Competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 Yearling Competition
    Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Okay let's get started.

If all agree we will stick to:

Up to 6 yearlings from any Inglis or Magic Millions Sale, plus the NZ Bloodstock January Sales.
Spend of up to  $1 million.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:34pm
I should add - Duplicates are more than welcome!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:10pm
I'm in and am happy with same criteria as last time.

I will also help out in searching for newly named yearlings like i have in the 2015 thread Dizzy, so the workload isn't just on you and Gay3, we cam take turns searching if you like.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:32pm
Thanks Beliskner, all assistance appreciated.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 3:55pm
just had a quick look through the catalogue last night, have about 200 on my wish list and all out my budget no doubtLOL Looking forward to going up to the sales though with a couple of local trainers to see if we can find a bargain.

Now down to the serious side, I need to find some winners for this competition. Will get back to you with my selections.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:18pm
Can I propose we allow an exception for horses that go to South Africa. We have Ready To Attack in the 2014 comp that is going really well but races for so little money it seems really unfair. I've got one in SA as well that I don't know what she's done, if anything, as too difficult to check and not worth checking anyway. I suggest we allow those who pick horses that end up in SA the option to change that pick. What does everyone else think?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:25pm
Perhaps we could pick 2 emergencies in case that situation arises? Dizzy handles all the data sheets so is best able to answer from her perspective Wink
I find if you wait 'till after each sale, it gives a better idea as to where each may head e.g. I tend to  pick once I've seen the trainer has bought.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:32pm
Gay3 that sounds the best option. Wait til after the sales, makes it easier to work out what you can afford. We have until the end of June to finalise the picks anyway. 😊 Just keep in mind there are more than 6 sales you can choose from.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:33pm
Actually, end of July. 😊
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:49pm
At least the 2013 pair will be wound up, that'll 'only' leave us with...................4????? Big smile
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:01pm
That's the aim Gay3. 😂 The only problem is more people joining in.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm
I don't mind updating the 2013 comp every few months for posterity, but we could do with one less sticky.

Instead of nominating emergencies, maybe just allow people to make changes by the end of july?

Choosing a replacement horse will depend on how much the horse you want to take out costed, so naming emergencies mightn't work if they cost more then the removed horse?

I dunno, whatever is best and easiest for you guys.

Also, if a horse is confirmed to have died by end of july, perhaps allow a substitute horse as well?

And if somebody doesn't like the trainer the horse has gone to, maybe the same aswell?

I'm not fussed either way, just throwing ideas out there, but i think end of July has to be the concrete limit for changes.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:17pm
Good idea about South Africa.  Hong Kong and Singapore give good money.  New Zealand is way behind also but South Africa can have a G1 horse with $19,000 which is stupid!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:18pm
$100,000 South African Rand is at present worth $9,000 AUstralian dollars.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:22pm
It's just terrible prize money isn't it furious.

And if we just have a close date for selections of July 31st, suits me fine. 😉
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:37am
I am in again, will be shopping strictly at the NZ sales again. If I was not flat out with a few projects on the go for the new year I would have been more tan willing to help out. Dizzy, Gay and crew do an amazing job with these threads. Unfortunately I don't have the time to participate on the forum as much as I would like to these days.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:19am
Agree - Delta - Dizzy, Gay & all do an amazing job!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 6:42am
Curious if anybody is interested in running a comp where you pick one horse looking for an absolute bargain buy, with a cap of something like 20k, or with no cap but with the general idea your looking for a very low purchase price, and/or the opposite picking out really expensive horses you think will be a bust for whatever reason?

I'd be happy to run the comps like that if there is enough interest, and if Gay3 is ok with another sticky.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:58am
Beliskner, why not just have one of the six in this comp as your cheapy and /or expensive? If anyone doesn't want to pick (or nominate one as their cheap/expensive pick) that's fine as it doesn't affect the comps one way or another.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:40am
People can do that with the cheapies, i am just throwing ideas out there, seeing if theirs enough interest in the idea to run it, but i'm pretty relaxed about however the comps turn out, you and gay3 do a great job.  Thumbs Up
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:42am
Thanks Beliskner. Smile
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:01pm
Lot 12  magic Millions Animal Kingdom < Alexandrova  res $80 000.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

Lot 40 also,   Savabeel  < Baby Shacks  $300 000 .
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

People can do that with the cheapies, i am just throwing ideas out there, seeing if theirs enough interest in the idea to run it, but i'm pretty relaxed about however the comps turn out, you and gay3 do a great job.  Thumbs Up

The less they cost, the better your chance of recouping expenses, depending to a large degree on who trains them, imo Smile Less chance too of whizzing them off to breed if they don't show much, especially fillies.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:16pm

Lot 40 also,   Savabeel  < Baby Shacks  $300 000 .

On the spread sheet. Big smile Only $620k left to spend...
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:26pm
Lot 16
Anywhere- any price, within the budget- 

Big smile

Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:28pm
Already got yours pencilled in Andi - I will let you know in July what they are. LOL
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:29pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmwwhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  Big smile
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm
AndiCapMM GC16Charge ForwardAlverta $  160,000.00
 NZ 16Bel EspritPosavina 
 Inglis Classic16ZoffanyHussmania 
 Inglis Premier16Smart MissileFoscat 
 Inglis Easter16   
 Scone16   
      $  160,000.00
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:37pm
Wow- an Alverta for 160k- loving that one Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>