Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bushfire near Ballarat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushfire near Ballarat
    Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:13pm
Scotsburn, Elaine and surrounding areas are in severe danger at the moment, couple of out of control bush fires in the area.

hope everyone out there is okay. my family not far from there in meredith. they are safe at the moment thankfully.
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:15pm
Hope everyone is safe..
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:19pm

Victoria bushfires: Out-of-control blazes in Victoria as heatwave continues across southern Australia

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:21pm

CFA UpdatesVerified account

@CFA_Updates

Official emergency warnings, incident updates, and media releases. Never rely on one channel for warnings. Account not monitored 24/7. Emergency? Dial '000'.

Victoria, Australia

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Scotsburn, Elaine and surrounding areas are in severe danger at the moment, couple of out of control bush fires in the area.

hope everyone out there is okay. my family not far from there in meredith. they are safe at the moment thankfully.

Meredith music festival was last weekend. Could have been an utter disaster
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 5:31pm
Very true sub, just had a bit of rain fall, but lots of smoke in the area. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:35pm
Hope Gay is safe .
Best of luck to all in the danger zone.
animals before people.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:37pm
AA, Gay is safe. Just talked with her on FB.😊
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 7:52pm
It is about 20km from the City of Ballarat,  opposite side of town than the race course for those who aren't familiar with the town. The main fire is on the Midland Hwy (Ballarat-geelong rd)

Confirmed houses have been lost. Hope all humans and animals are alright. Property can be replaced, life cannot. Please look after yourselves.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Dizzy Dizzy wrote:

AA, Gay is safe. Just talked with her on FB.😊

Thanks for the concern guys & trust The Mayor doesn't deem me as being inattentive LOL
Thanks also 'cg' for the update re properties & location in relation to B'rat & the racecourse which, for the record, I'm across the road from the back straight Smile
Wind has almost totally dropped so I sincerely hope they can control it before the northerly picks up again early morning by 9.00.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:17pm
Arsonists involved according to TV news.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Time to make an example of these Krunts. Give them 10 years regardless of their effect. Caught lighting a fire , no excuse.
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 9:43pm
Issued For: Mount Doran, Bungal, Ballark, Lal Lal, Elaine, Clarendon, Morrisons, Scotsburn
Fire Origin: SCOTSBURN
Incident Name: FINNS RD
Issued: 19/12/15 8:33 PM

This is an updated Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for
Mount Doran, Bungal, Ballark, Lal Lal, Elaine, Clarendon, Morrisons, Scotsburn.
Firefighters have slowed the spread of the scrub and grassfire and are working to strengthen containment lines on the southern edge of the fire preparing for fire conditions to worsen overnight and into Sunday morning.
This fire is approximately 3000 hectares in size.  The fire crossed the Midland Highway between Clarendon and Elaine.
There is another wind change expected anytime into the evening, strengthening early in the morning  which will cause the fire to move in a south easterly direction towards Cargerie and Elaine.
Traffic management points remain in place around the fire area.

Midland Highway has been closed at Boundary Road.
Refer to Vic Roads website for further road closures. 
A Relief Centre has been opened at the Mechanics Institute, 143 Inglis Street, Ballan and will remain open throughout the weekend.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 7:32am
shocking conditions...glad you're safe, Gay...loss of stock is always depressing...unfortunately I think this is going to be a really bad Summer...I follow a weather channel and they are predicting cyclones up north on Christmas Day, as well...

Adelaide suffering through four horror days will breathe a bit today...apparently it is now heading NSW way...
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 10:45am
8 houses confirmed destroyed.

Police believe the fire in Scotsburn started from an "idiot" using machinery and caused a spark.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Time to make an example of these Krunts. Give them 10 years regardless of their effect. Caught lighting a fire , no excuse.

I so agree with this.   Time for payday for any one caught lighting fires.  No ifs or buts if its straight out arson.   And no excuses for kids either.  Slap the little suckers in juvie for awhile and make parents help the victims , and take the kids with them when they do.  Kids started a bad one over Meadowie way last year and all they got was a slap on the wrist.   
Not good enough.
Stay safe everyone.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 10:13pm
whats happening there ?   is the fire contained or what ??  
animals before people.
blackdog View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 9:21am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

whats happening there ?   is the fire contained or what ??  

NO , A.A.         Victoria Burns .    

Gee I hope it doesn't spread to Australia .

Please forgive me for My poor sense of humour.    I can't help myself but my thoughts and prayers are with all the victims.
WHEN WILL SMOKERS RISE.?
NO labor votes for a start .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 12:07am
How are things in Victoria , where the fires are/were ?
It looks terrible.  Those poor people.
Is the worst of it over and the fires out ? 
I think we are all thinking of those people , and sending them all out thoughts. 

animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:44am
Fire near Ballarat is contained at the moment. Still some spot fires being worked on.

Lots of concern with the weather change on Friday (Christmas day) that could cause some flare ups, but firies are working hard as usual.

I saw one man on the news who lost his house (brick), yet less than 100m away a weatherboard house survived only to have broken windows. 

Sadly lots of injured wildlife, mainly Kangaroos with burnt feet from trying to get away. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 10:57am
The poor animals.  I hope someone is helping them, even if its a quick bullet to put them out of pain.  I saw one farmer had 800 sheep to shoot. Must be devastating .
Stay safe everyone.
animals before people.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 10:48pm
Great Ocean Road fire has become very serious.

Wye river Lorne etc everyone has been along that road at some stage or other and seen the houses nestled in trees on the slopes. Can't see how anyone has a hope of tackling fires in there.

Wye river has a population of about 45 and 35 homes are gone so far.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 11:39pm
Saw it on TV news.   Just so sad !!!   Poor people, and poor animals.
Also the tornados in the southern states of America.  So far 11 dead.
What a terrible time for all these people , on Christmas day.
All I can do is hope and pray for those people on the Great Ocean Road.    Been down there,   Beautiful place. 
Makes me appreciate how lucky I am.  
Thinking of those people,,,,

animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:27am
I've just finished speaking to my brother who's been a member of the CFA for over 20 years & RFS another 10, punctuated by many training stints & Captain of several different crews, dependent on his location at the time. He also has National awards for service in this capacity so does have a clue Wink
Apparently NSW is world renowned as the best firefighting service & presently, touch wood has controlled all fires this season with little to no serious damage. All systems currently in place are obviously working well which is more than can be said for Vic Ouch
He tells me there was plenty of warning via tracking of the Lorne lightning strike & it was attended to almost immediately but the 2 Erriksons and the loaned super tanker from NSW should have been immediately dispatched, instead of waiting untill it was seriously out of control. Operational costs minimisation has always been a major problem in Vic. (in his experience) & it seems it continues Unhappy
How many more lives have to be lost & wrecked before powers-that-be wake up? Crikey, the actual guys at the coalface don't even get paid, what more do they want Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:52am
Why can not our Govny buy a few more of these choppers and spread them around ?  Instead of wasting millions on stupid things, like advertising campains , and awarding themselves pay raises, and keeping all the lurks and purks up to some old PM thats  been retired for years, and no doubt managed to feather his nest very well while in power, and then step into a corporate job after .  Just snatch back all that wasted money and we could buy a fleet of choppers, and Aust needs the choppers more than the old jokers who should have been put in the back paddock and forgotten years ago.
It makes me so angry , watching so much money being wasted, while things like this happen. 
Hell , a lot of the firies dont get even paid !  
How fair is that !!!
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 12:43pm
As I understand it, the choppers were ready/waiting but on the ground when they should've been bombing with water Unhappy. Resources were available when time was of the essence - better to be safe than sorry!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 1:23pm
Insurance premiums will be going up.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

As I understand it, the choppers were ready/waiting but on the ground when they should've been bombing with water Unhappy. Resources were available when time was of the essence - better to be safe than sorry!

They sure were flying today ... you'd hope after 2009 with 173 deaths (still can't believe that) and a supposed thorough Royal Commission, a simple mistake like that would not be allowed to occur ... the same scenario caused the Canberra fires which burnt out about 2 suburbs ie lightning strike not properly addressed for days - l'm sure there'll be a review Ermm or maybe there has already been one as we had some pollies around pleased with themselves and all ....

Anyway the biggest problem is the fuel load as always and no amount of response is going to address that now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm
If safe burn offs were allowed to take place,  in suitable weather,  a lot of these fires wouldnt be so bad.
But the Pitt Street greenies cant see past their noses.
The Nat Park near us has a massive build up of fuel.  The fire trails have been closed and allowed to grow over,  for quite a few years now,  and their dozers are long gone.
So what do we all think will happen if there is a lightning strike ????
All hell will break lose , when with proper management ,  it wouldnt.
Not blaming the NPWS employees .     Their hands are tied.
Blaming the bleeding hearts who have NFI , and because they are so dam stupid they bring all this grief on people. 

animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:05pm
In case anyone happens to be wondering, the Ballarat fire is at Scotsburn with a strong Northerly fanning it.
Thankfully, this one is SE of B'rat & I'm at Miners Rest, sort of NW the other side but have no idea if other members are being or could be impacted. Play safe if you are Exclamation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>