Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Black Heart Bart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Balciano Balciano wrote:

Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Don't think he's the same horse since that Cox Plate.

Agree jacko, he's older. Won two G1s and second in a G2 since so age must agree with him.

Yes. He's still competitive in these races. Just not at the level he was.

Up until a week ago his last 2 starts were both Group 1 WFA wins in Melbourne. First time he'd won back to back Group 1's, first time he won back to back races since joining Weir.

Now on the basis of 2 runs in a week, one on a track that resembled quicksand, he's not at the level he once was.

Think that's jumping the gun a bit. Very premature to say he's not the horse he was IMO.
Agree Completely some ppl pot good horses quick here they love to jump ship 
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Balciano Balciano wrote:

Don't think he's the same horse since that Cox Plate.

Agree jacko, he's older. Won two G1s and second in a G2 since so age must agree with him.

Yes. He's still competitive in these races. Just not at the level he was.

Up until a week ago his last 2 starts were both Group 1 WFA wins in Melbourne. First time he'd won back to back Group 1's, first time he won back to back races since joining Weir.

Now on the basis of 2 runs in a week, one on a track that resembled quicksand, he's not at the level he once was.

Think that's jumping the gun a bit. Very premature to say he's not the horse he was IMO.

Those were very weak G1 races, including one he was hot favourite and won by a lip. No offense if you're a fan of the horse, I just think he's struggling to recapture his best.
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:51am
Fair enough mate.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Delta Deel Delta Deel wrote:

Horse was well unders, looking for at least 1400m or even 1600m now. Might have reached the top of his bell curve in his career as well.

After 1 mediocre run on a track I wouldn't ask Tony Abbott to ride his bike on - unless it had just a seat peg? You're kidding surely.

What and forgive his very average effort in a very weak G1 1st up as well. That run today rated on par with his Goodwood run.

Doubt it was as weak as you think DD and today's run was understandably nowhere near that level. The WA sprinters showed they were close to Malaguerra, Takedown, Shiedel, Terravista in Perth.  

He had 59kgs, was first up - check that stat some time, ridden too close, finished 2+ lengths back in good time, was best of the topweights by a margin. He won the Goodwood last year at his fourth run from a spell. 

All the above, plus Weir's reservations about today suggest to me that predictions of BHB's sudden demise are premature.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:11am
I said earlier he was 2nd up on a 7 day back up plus travel between Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane. That's a tough ask on any horse and he obviously didn't cope.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:43am
Did you have a shekel on the stable roughie Lordy? Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

I said earlier he was 2nd up on a 7 day back up plus travel between Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane. That's a tough ask on any horse and he obviously didn't cope.
very true Lordy. often you don't realise just what is involved until you have to start travelling them etc. when you do this and pull of the win you get a new appreciation for what the trainer and staff have managed to achieve.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:06am

Horse was well unders, looking for at least 1400m or even 1600m now. Might have reached the top of his bell curve in his career as well.

After 1 mediocre run on a track I wouldn't ask Tony Abbott to ride his bike on - unless it had just a seat peg? You're kidding surely.

What and forgive his very average effort in a very weak G1 1st up as well. That run today rated on par with his Goodwood run.

Doubt it was as weak as you think DD and today's run was understandably nowhere near that level. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">The WA sprinters showed they were close to Malaguerra, Takedown, Shiedel, Terravista in Perth.  </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">He had 59kgs, was first up - check that stat some time, ridden too close, finished 2+ lengths back in good time, was best of the topweights by a margin. He won the Goodwood last year at his fourth run from a spell. </span>

All the above, plus Weir's reservations about today suggest to me that predictions of BHB's sudden demise are premature.

No one said he was no good, I just don't think he has the class this prep to be winning at less than 1400m at WFA. Wouldn't be racing in to back him atvless than $10.00 in the straddie as well.

Horse is 6yo about to turn 7, he is closer to the end of career than the start and some dip in performance especially at these trips is to be expected.

Plenty of races for him in the spring with the stupid prizemoney for barrier trials like the Memsie and the Makybe Diva.

Memsie/Makybe/Underwood/Cantala perfect prep.
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Did you have a shekel on the stable roughie Lordy? Smile

Had a bit each way
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:43am
Clap
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:04pm
Punters beware, might not be ready to win today
Being set to fire in the $1 million Memsie and Makybe Diva
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Punters beware, might not be ready to win today
Being set to fire in the $1 million Memsie and Makybe Diva

Agree. Better on a firmer surface too.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:28am
Black Heart Bart - laid out rounding the home turn and in the straight.. Beaten favourite; a post race veterinary examination revealed the gelding to me mildly lame in the near hind leg and will require a veterinary clearance prior to racing again..
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:17pm

Raceday inspection for Black Heart Bart

Andre Eddy@fastisheddy

Defending Memsie Stakes' champion Black Heart Bart will be inspected when he arrives on course at Caulfield on Saturday after an application was made to stewards on Friday for the horse to wear a three-quarter bar plate on his near-fore hoof.

Racing Victoria chief steward Terry Bailey said stewards would be negligent not to examine the Darren Weir-trained horse, which is among the favourites for the first $1 million Memsie.

"Given the stable had the need to make the shoeing change, we'd want to check him over to make sure he's 100 per cent," Bailey said on Friday morning.

Racing Victoria vets reported that Black Heart Bart pulled up mildly lame in his near hind leg following his first-up run in the Lawrence Stakes two weeks ago at Caulfield.

Bailey said the application for a change of shoeing for Black Heart Bart came on the recommendation of the stable farrier.

A three-quarter bar plate is designed to relieve pressure on a certain area of the hoof.

Black Heart Bart was holding his place at equal-second favourite at $6.50 along with Le Romain for the Memsie Stakes. The Lindsay Park-trained Vega Magic is a firming favourite at $2.40.

Lexawin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lexawin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm
The beginning of the end... can't keep going forever.Wink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:53pm
So many of these top horses seem to have a month or '2 let up' which in reality means they never get 6 - 8wks in the paddock for their bodies to fully heal from exertions.
A week - 10 days in a small paddock or yard followed by weeks on a water walker then back to full work isn't helpful in extending their careers, imo but then I'm no expert trainer.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:23pm
I would think Weir would know what he was doing with him. If he has had enough then he will not hesitate to pull him up.

I do agree with you Gay re the spelling. Horses never get much break these days, the turn around from Spring to Autumn, and then if they go to Adelaidenor QLD, next thing you kno it's July. Maybe that's something for the head honchos to have a look at in future. We need an extra month!
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
Agree Gay, but it just means owners and trainers have to prioritise. Of course not everyone can afford to be as singularly focussed as Lloyd but the way he pretty much ignores every major carnival outside Victoria means that his better horses do get a decent break.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:39pm
I would say there are at least 25 to 30 black type that have been added over the years that have extended each carnival , your right Tilly we need a longer year.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 2:15am
The bar plate worries me. Not a lot of horses with bar plates win. I have no stats. Just an observation.

I think Bart deserves another chance before we sack him. He's been such an honest galloper throughout his career. It might just have been fitness and the slightly wet track first up.

But Gay you are right. Many times a racehorse only gets 1-2 weeks in the paddock. Hardly seems enough.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 3:13am
Love this old boy and he has been good to me, but I've been off him the last couple and I've unfortunately got him down as over the hill. I don't think he'll be able to keep up with Vega Magic again.
Sunline...simply supreme
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:20am
I tend to agree sunline but this is his grand final if that means anything.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
I think there is a very real risk Bart hasn't come up this prep. He may need a decent spell or even retirement. His first up run this prep was poor, as was his first up run in the Goodwood. His run at Eagle Farm though can be forgiven due to the heavy track.

I'm only giving him another chance because he's $7.00. I have Vega Magic rated on top of him. A repeat of their last starts sees Vega Magic winning easily. However Bart's too good a horse to dismiss lightly. I won't be surprised if he wins.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:24am
Had an accident in the box Wednesday with some bruising and has bar plates on. Weir isn't giving him much hope and will be inspected by vets at the races. If it runs will probably be out the gate betting wise,double figures I would suggest.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:31am
I hadn't realised untill the interview this morning that the bar shoe is on a front foot whilst the soreness post last race was a hind leg.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 11:10am
Yes I definitely noticed it, but didn't know it was due to an accident - cheers Shovhog, very helpful.
Sunline...simply supreme
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:12pm
Played up in his box at night apparently.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 1:15pm
Not good.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:06pm
Might be looking for a nursing home. Too old, too slow
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:10pm
Lost a shoe on his bad foot, poor horse.
Retirement looms surely
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>