Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Mick Kent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
Will win with Data Point as well today
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:13pm
Another smart one... Amadeus
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Another smart one... Amadeus
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:38pm
Interestingly he could finish the season with an undefeated group 1 winner plus a group 1 winner on a 7 race winning streak. 

reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 10:59pm
Supido won't be winning the Goodwood
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:21pm

Mick Kent not big on bulk

BY Mick Sharkie (@TheSharkTweet) + Damien Ractliffe (@DamienRactliffe)
1 hour ago Horse Racing

As buyers clamoured to secure a lot at Monday’s record breaking yearling session of the Japan Racing Horse Association Select Sale at Hokkaido, Cranbourne trainer Mick Kent wondered why Australians have such an infatuation with bulk.

The Japanese yearlings were not the same powerful, muscled up yearlings that Australian buyers would be used to seeing at sales time, these were lighter animals with more room for development, yet many still made millions in the auction ring.

Kent believes those physical differences are part of the reason why Japanese thoroughbreds have been so durable and versatile on the world stage.

You go to the yearling sales (in Australia) and anything any good costs you $300,000 or $400,000 and it’s being reared like a powder puff, fed up to look big and strong and bulky. You go to Japan and the yearlings look half the size and are much more raw but they are the toughest and best horses in the world,” said Kent.

“We’re just growing them too big too quick. The market seems to demand these big physical yearlings. If you ask me, if you want an athlete, in the context of a human athlete, you don’t want a 12-stone 15-year-old kid, do you?”

Perhaps the number of Australians travelling to Hokkaido in recent years on reconnaissance missions is an indication that Japan might be the new frontier; agents Robert Roulston and Justin Bahen were active at the sales this week and Gai Waterhouse has been in previous years, Robert Smerdon, and the late Phil Sly have also been regulars at the sale.

Kent believes it is the evenness of the modern thoroughbred that is causing buyers to look overseas for an edge.

European imports have become commonplace in Australia in the last decade but Kent points to soundness issues and regular breakdowns of those horses as reason enough not to take the risk on such horses, often valued at seven-figure sums.

“The dollar against the pound and euro hasn’t helped but the market has just gone crazy, you’re talking about buying a Listed class stayer and paying over $600,000 – that’s a lot of races to win especially when you’ve got to manage lots of issues like bad feet and joints,” he said.

“The fast ones are not getting any faster. The champions are still champions but soundness has definitely lifted the bottom up. It’s getting very even and the gap’s not as wide because more horses have issues, they’re held back.”

Kent has looked for his edge by changing his training methods and experimenting with genetic analysis, a stream of examination that is growing in popularity thanks to organisations like Matchem Racing.

“I’ve had the genetics of most of the modern day Melbourne Cup winners analysed and I’ve got some theories about them, about patterns in their genetic makeup. I’m going to go to New Zealand and search for horses that repeat those patterns, it’s a punt worth taking,” he said.

“Because soundness is an issue, just galloping a horse three times a week around a circle is probably not as effective as it once was, so we have a massive wastage in horses. That’s something that I’ve probably changed a bit in my training. We do a lot of beach work, a lot more swimming and a lot less galloping, as a result our horses stay sound more often.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:22pm

Trainer Mick Kent's secret to success

BY Damien Ractliffe - @damienractliffe
3 weeks ago Horse Racing

Cranbourne trainer Mick Kent has credited a stable cull and harsher criteria for taking on and buying horses for his improved winning strike rate this season.

The Group 1-winning trainer bounced back from a disappointing 2014-15 season (11 per cent winning strike rate) to produce a stunning 18 per cent winning per centage this season.

But Kent has saddled just 303 starts so far this season (for 54 wins), down from 421 the season prior (46).

“I found some nice three-year-olds, didn’t I? So that’s key – having the cattle,” Kent said. 

“I’m only working 35 horses; I had 50 or so (last season). I’m just a bit harder about what I take and a bit harder about what I buy. It’s something I’ve been aiming to do since I’ve been over from overseas – just trying to be really hard about the selection of horse.”

Abbey Marie provided Kent with his first G1 winner in the Australasian Oaks since Absolutely prevailed in the 2011 AJC Oaks.

Hattori Hanzo also gave Kent a G2 win in the Phar Lap Stakes, while three-year-olds Supido (third in The Goodwood) and Charlevoix have broken onto the scene as potential superstars.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:26pm
HugClap

How long have I been saying this. 
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:49pm
If you had read a few of my posts on 2 yo a couple of days ago,in regard to certain issues you may find a few of my observations are in the story's above re feed,soundness,maturity, even the emphasis on knees aka Arizi not that I would ever feel smug about that..even the point of champs of
yesta year as per today..Speed yearlings will bulk up if exercise is not proportional to the feeding regime.
So enlighten djebel,what have you been waxing lyrical about that has got both hands clapping.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
Arazi(..( my apologies)
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:01pm
The FACT that our yearlings are juiced up to the eye balls and are clearly not presented to sale to be a racehorse but a sales horse.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:01pm
So the key to success is to introduce harsher criteria when acquiring horses and to heavily cull the slow ones?

Who would've thought.  Shocked

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

So the key to success is to introduce harsher criteria when acquiring horses and to heavily cull the slow ones?

You got it SC.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

No the secret will be for you dimwitted breeders to stop producing horses for sale that are too f**king big.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:09pm
It's the same criteria I use when doing the form second chance,.but my ratings must be out ,I seem to be only backing the slow ones.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:15pm
I suggest you two bright sparks read 3.21 post rather than the 3.22 post.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I suggest you two bright sparks read 3.21 post rather than the 3.22 post.

Can I wait till my grandson comes home from school so he can read it for me.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:20pm
So you've been saying what Mick Kent said for ages?

Can't see anywhere where Mick mentions the size of horses as a buying criteria.  Just talks about stricter criteria and culling slow ones.  And with few exceptions he gelds his colts, leading to more genuine performers who race on longer.  

Other than that am sure you're almost spot on Djebel.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:27pm
Read this Second Chance.

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Mick Kent not big on bulk

BY Mick Sharkie (@TheSharkTweet) + Damien Ractliffe (@DamienRactliffe)
1 hour ago Horse Racing

As buyers clamoured to secure a lot at Monday’s record breaking yearling session of the Japan Racing Horse Association Select Sale at Hokkaido, Cranbourne trainer Mick Kent wondered why Australians have such an infatuation with bulk.

The Japanese yearlings were not the same powerful, muscled up yearlings that Australian buyers would be used to seeing at sales time, these were lighter animals with more room for development, yet many still made millions in the auction ring.

Kent believes those physical differences are part of the reason why Japanese thoroughbreds have been so durable and versatile on the world stage.

You go to the yearling sales (in Australia) and anything any good costs you $300,000 or $400,000 and it’s being reared like a powder puff, fed up to look big and strong and bulky. You go to Japan and the yearlings look half the size and are much more raw but they are the toughest and best horses in the world,” said Kent.

“We’re just growing them too big too quick. The market seems to demand these big physical yearlings. If you ask me, if you want an athlete, in the context of a human athlete, you don’t want a 12-stone 15-year-old kid, do you?”

Perhaps the number of Australians travelling to Hokkaido in recent years on reconnaissance missions is an indication that Japan might be the new frontier; agents Robert Roulston and Justin Bahen were active at the sales this week and Gai Waterhouse has been in previous years, Robert Smerdon, and the late Phil Sly have also been regulars at the sale.

Kent believes it is the evenness of the modern thoroughbred that is causing buyers to look overseas for an edge.

European imports have become commonplace in Australia in the last decade but Kent points to soundness issues and regular breakdowns of those horses as reason enough not to take the risk on such horses, often valued at seven-figure sums.

“The dollar against the pound and euro hasn’t helped but the market has just gone crazy, you’re talking about buying a Listed class stayer and paying over $600,000 – that’s a lot of races to win especially when you’ve got to manage lots of issues like bad feet and joints,” he said.

“The fast ones are not getting any faster. The champions are still champions but soundness has definitely lifted the bottom up. It’s getting very even and the gap’s not as wide because more horses have issues, they’re held back.”

Kent has looked for his edge by changing his training methods and experimenting with genetic analysis, a stream of examination that is growing in popularity thanks to organisations like Matchem Racing.

“I’ve had the genetics of most of the modern day Melbourne Cup winners analysed and I’ve got some theories about them, about patterns in their genetic makeup. I’m going to go to New Zealand and search for horses that repeat those patterns, it’s a punt worth taking,” he said.

“Because soundness is an issue, just galloping a horse three times a week around a circle is probably not as effective as it once was, so we have a massive wastage in horses. That’s something that I’ve probably changed a bit in my training. We do a lot of beach work, a lot more swimming and a lot less galloping, as a result our horses stay sound more often.”

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:50pm
Reading sharkies tweet djebel there really isn't a lot there that is not known..We do know that a lot of sprinting type yearlings are " bulked up" so to speak,.we also know that young staying types are leaner and more angular..Unfortunately speed via hype grabs owner/ trainer and so the cycle
continues..Sharkie quoting Gai,Smerdon, and PHIL Sly,..well the latter two go hand in hand ,they were good mates and breeding partners,.as for Gai
he's dropped that in the tweet to grab a bit of att..I don't think too many would worry if she went to Iceland to buy..Now good point about buying tried
o/s horses,it appears you go over to " fluke" one, that many don't stand up ,,why would you sell a good used car? As for Mick going to NZ ,.Tj and Bart
had been going there for 65 yr so it's not new..Galloping horses 3 times a week? hardly ,..as for swimming horses ,I was swimming them nearly 60 yr
ago off Coogee Beach and before that ,up and down the eastern seaboard for a 100 yr ,so nothing new in this story,..just have a look at the author.
Tankster View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tankster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 3:44pm

Kent talks off working horses in different ways to protect joints. How many has his treadmills broken down? Over-rated

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Tankster Tankster wrote:

Kent talks off working horses in different ways to protect joints. How many has his treadmills broken down? Over-rated

Care to share any 1st or 2nd hand knowledge?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 4:20pm
Better track-walker than he is bloke. Not nice to work for.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 5:36pm
That looks another world beater.

Where will she get to.

He just said she will probably be better mare next season...............
reductio ad absurdum
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm

That looks another world beater.

Where will she get to.

He just said she will probably be better mare next season...............

If the owners were serious about her they'd send her to a different trainer
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 1:58pm
Interesting trainer. Plenty will tell you he's a genius.
Sunline...simply supreme
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:08pm
If he can get Galileos Pearl to win today then I'll declare him one!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

What inspired this comment ?  LOL
reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:10pm
Do his horses ever put two runs together?
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

What inspired this comment ?  LOL
probably because he is a myth
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>