Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Mick Kent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mick Kent
    Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm
What has happened to this stable??? Used to be reliable as anything, now the stable is legless. No plunges, no good horses, not even winning at Cranbourne.
Does he just have bad stock, has he lost the passion, or has the increased testing caught up with him??
I honestly have no idea about the guy, but I always found him to be an astute trainer, but they are going worse than Hayes was a few years back.
room for a slew View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room for a slew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 10:00pm
Totally agree Subby.

Always used to bet on his debut runners and 1 uppers

snowfield lady at her debut made me a stack at her debut.

Scratchy bottom too.

always bet on his horses at cranbourne

but now as u said totally lost it
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 10:01pm
Maybe someone should start a 'Days since Mick Kent trained a G1 Winner' thread. 
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 11:05pm
did any of the vets/vet practices who've had "issues" used to service him?
to the victor
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 6:11am
What about his 'mate' from up that way, then to SING and then to QLD, Mr Len Treloar? Gave the game away didn't he, with a 'pos' in the wings........what happened to that, does anyone know or is it still pending?
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 6:32am
Agree - apparently a good fella & patient with the horses.  Stats have dropped off alot.

Yearly Breakdown
Last 5 years
Starts1st2nd3rdWinPlaceAvg Win OddsROI
201150969726514%41%$5.8-21%
201243060505414%38%$4.9-32%
201341064505216%40%$4.71-26%
201437947574012%38%$5.01-38%
201525128222111%28%$7.84-13%
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:18am
Seems to have lost a lot of his horses in the past 12 months.

A few of his have been popping up with different trainers.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 8:27am
Any idea how old he is?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:30am
He had 15 listed and 2 unlisted runners at the Cranbourne jumpouts last Monday.

Looks like stable numbers have been bolstered. 
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:39am
Would be interesting to see his horses in training stats last 5 years , may be just he found it hard to manage and has scaled back numbers to suit his style of training .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 9:47am
His number of starters is well down this year. 

73 runners so far after 31/2 months to 406 last season 

Has he had health concerns?
Sheet Anchor View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheet Anchor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 2:19pm
I thought the exact same thing when I was looking at the Kilmore Cup form last night.

Good Value who gets around with a walking stick is about the only runner I've seen him have in the city lately.

A couple of years ago he was knocking up winners, especially country cups and your standard city staying races.
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 3:27pm
He is Good Value today in the cup.
barney136 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote barney136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
I think Treloar was one of the trainers whose positives were overe ruled because of a technicality, may be wrong but i seem to remember something about that.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by barney136 barney136 wrote:

I think Treloar was one of the trainers whose positives were overe ruled because of a technicality, may be wrong but i seem to remember something about that.
Thanks Barney, thought you might like to read this.......nice type of bloke LT, I wonder if the QTC knew of that record when he was licensed.
=====

Australian Trainer Len Treloar Resigns

Australian trainer Len Treloar has submitted his resignation as a trainer at Kranji.

Treloar informed the Malayan Racing Association that he will not be submitting an application to renew his MRA licence for 2011.

As such, he will no longer train in Singapore after the end of the 2010 racing season.

Treloar is currently 22nd on the SIngapore training premiership for 2010 with 13 wins and 26 placinjgs from 156 starters.

The former Victorian trained 26 winners in both 2008 and 2009 and 17 in 2007.

Treloar was recently fined a total of S$40,000 following an inquiry into the finding of prohibited substances at his Kranji stables in June.

He has not commented on whether his decision to resign is related toi that case.

During a routine inspection of Treloar's stable in June a number of items and medications were seized and sent to the Singapore Turf Club Laboratory for analysis.

The SNTC Laboratory subsequently reported that one of these medications was found to contain strychnine, which is a prohibited substance under the MRA Rules of Racing.

Treloar was notified of the findings and the provisions of MRA Rules of Racing 137 regarding his rights and obligations concerning the referee sample.

Treloar subsequently exercised his right to have the referee sample sent overseas for independent analysis. The independent analysis of the referee sample overseas confirmed the presence of strychnine.

Stewards conducted another inspection of Treloar's stables on June 29 and as a result of this inspection further items and medications were seized and sent to the SNTC Laboratory for analysis.

The SNTC Laboratory subsequently reported that one of these medications was found to contain strychnine, brucine and atropine, which are prohibited substances under the MRA Rules of Racing.

Treloar was notified of the findings and the provisions of MRA Rules of Racing 137 regarding his rights and obligations concerning the referee sample. Treloar subsequently advised that he did not wish to exercise his rights to have the referee sample sent overseas for independent analysis.

At the conclusion of the inquiry the stewards found Treloar guilty of two charges under MRA Rule of Racing 33(4)(b) relating to prohibited substances being found on his stable premises.

The stewards took into account his record and the nature of the charges before Treloar was fined a sum of S$20,000 for each charge, amounting to a total of S$40,000.

image: 

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Could Iron Spider be the winner Mick Kent needs??
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 2:34am
I was told ages ago that their was an extremely very high opinion of 'Holy'Cow' and people thought she had at least group winning potential, does anybody have any info about her?
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 5:56am
feet not great
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:34am
It is quite disturbing to see the obvious correlation between testing and winners for many trainers
who's stats have been mentioned on this site in general not suggesting Mr Kent is one of these trainers
he probably is just having a bad year.

His horse placement methods are good however I have never understood his methods in jockey selection.

There has been many times he has had decent horse in average grade carrying 58, 59, or 60kg, a number
of his opposition claiming and he has stuck with the experienced jockey.

Analysing the form you think if his horse was claiming a couple it would be over the line.

The result 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th many times.

Don't get it. If my trainer takes a horse to the races I want it to be able to win on paper first.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:49am
I've noticed Gilgai Farm give him a few decently bred horses, but other then that does he get a whole lot of quality breeding wise?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:17pm
Never fails Thumbs Up
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:21pm
He has fallen off the map.

Last season 10%, this season to date 8%.

Overrated?
Sunline...simply supreme
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:29pm
I guess they can only work with what they've got Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
Good to see Mick bounce back.

A bit hard to get regular winners when half of your owners take your horses off you.
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Good to see Mick bounce back.

A bit hard to get regular winners when half of your owners take your horses off you.

Why is that?
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 4:27pm
When Mick Kent trained in OZ the early 90s he trained a lot of horse with the prefix Norgwyn in their name for a married couple Norm and Gwyn. I do not recall their surname, but eventually as they had so many horses with limited success they disappeared off the scene and Kent migrated to Singapore, only to return to OZ some years later.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

When Mick Kent trained in OZ the early 90s he trained a lot of horse with the prefix Norgwyn in their name for a married couple Norm and Gwyn. I do not recall their surname, but eventually as they had so many horses with limited success they disappeared off the scene and Kent migrated to Singapore, only to return to OZ some years later.

Their surname was Abbott. There were heaps of those Norwgyn horses around in the late 80's And early 90's.

My favourite Michael Kent horse when I was a kid was BOSTON BAY. I don't know if anyone else remembers him but seemed to win a couple of 2400m+ races every winter for 3 or 4 consecutive winters, probably between 1988 & 1990
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Are you sure that applies to Kent? All I've heard the last 10 years is how good the bloke is. Everyone wants to tell you he's a great trainer. He may well be but he isn't getting the results to deserve the raps.

I'd much sooner give one to Vandyke, who is a perfect example of someone who doesn't get the stock yet still produces results.
Sunline...simply supreme
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Are you sure that applies to Kent? All I've heard the last 10 years is how good the bloke is. Everyone wants to tell you he's a great trainer. He may well be but he isn't getting the results to deserve the raps.

I'd much sooner give one to Vandyke, who is a perfect example of someone who doesn't get the stock yet still produces results.

The integrity landscape has changed markedly now.

And in the heady days he had Michelle riding for him.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 1:03pm
TBV does it again. Supido ultra impressive Saturday at headquarters and another impressive debutant then at Sandown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>