Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Boxing / UFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:09pm
i like that boxing emoticon max..Thumbs Up

tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:18pm
If you call ISIS a sport then this is sport
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:20pm
thats a sensible statement Ermm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Disgusting
You've already said that....sod off out of the thread !

Very interesting you like to promote yourself as some domestic violence expert and here you are loving UFC in all its bloody violence........ yep, its all 100 percent alcohol to blame.........nothing at all to do with power, control, desensitization to extremely violent behaviour.....
What is it with you....weirdo....if you want to bang on about DV go to the thread headed DV.....if you want to talk about UFC & how it is one of the worlds fastest growing sports please comment here. We already know you think it's disgusting....pls move on now !
Refer ALP Election Promises
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
If you don't want to discuss the link, just say so. Will make it much easier to understand your moral compass for future reference.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

a connection between domestic violence and combat sports?
could see it either way i suppose. normalizes it?
or gives people with an interest an outlet to do what they want to
v someone else who wants to do the same thing..in a controlled environment.
but personally i'm leaning to the latter..
i think people who have violent tendencies don't need inspiration form seeing it on tv.
it's part of their personality already, like alcohol doesn't make people violent,
just makes them less concerned about the consequences, when they are under the influence.

as a kid - friends + i would practise wrestling moves on eachother bodyslams..
sleeper holds - when hulk hogan + andre the giant + co were all the vogue.
i'm pretty sure at that point i hadn't clicked it was fake...was a kid, but still not silly
enough to actually hurt eachother. + it didn't make me want to bodyslam kids in the st.

You are an intelligent person EI, you are not the norm.
I do like your  point about peoples predisposition to violence and alcohol reference. It's all I have ever been saying with Oneone, but I get shouted down. Hopefully, with someone he respects, like yourself, he will understand my point more.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:30pm
It will be interesting to see how Rousey reacts to this loss Will probably just make her next match an even bigger pay day !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:35pm
Rousey just ran third at Strathbyn Greys race 11....bad day all round for her !
tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Rousey just ran third at Strathbyn Greys race 11....bad day all round for her !

How did they get her in the box?
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:16am
Holly Holm is a mean son of a gun. When Rousey was unconscious she was celebrating, hugging, jumping up and down, showed no concern for Rousey's well being.

Most others and boxers normally do not act in this selfish and self obsessed mannner, not nice
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:29am
Probably caught up in the moment Whale. The clip I saw which went on further, when she realised Rhonda was not well she came around to the other side of her away from those attending and crouched down for about 30 sec watching her lying there
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Michelle Payne was there watching, probably a "celebrity" invitee.

She was with Rousey camp .. She can get the shortys beaten   
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:51am
Yes, she & Nikita were all over FB for a few days with pics of them all together Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:44am
Not quite sure what would inspire an attractive, healthy young woman to channel her energies into knocking the s##t out of other young women, or have the s##t knocked out of her ?
Mind you, I didnt mind a bit of a biffo when i was her age.  Even got thrown in the cells once , for decking another sheila twice my size .Embarrassed
I guess I was just too stupid to realise I could make money doing it Sick
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Not quite sure what would inspire an attractive, healthy young woman to channel her energies into knocking the s##t out of other young women, or have the s##t knocked out of her ?
Mind you, I didnt mind a bit of a biffo when i was her age.  Even got thrown in the cells once , for decking another sheila twice my size .Embarrassed

It's a helluva lot safer than riding a horse.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Ya reckon ?  Wink
animals before people.
swanks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

You might be onto something tlaz. Haven't recalled any deaths in the ufc, but there's been alot in racing. Although going home with a every day surely would take it out of ya. My mates almost consistently got a black eye. And thats just from training.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:46pm
We live in an odd society, where "one punch can kill", but also can get you a very nice, entirely legal earn.
swanks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:52pm

We live in an odd society, where "one punch can kill", but also can get you a very nice, entirely legal earn.

Taken that 1 punch can kill out of context max. We're talking about trained profesionals who dont have gutters in the ring to smack their head on. They're not paired up against someone half they're size. They have different weight classes to stop that. They're not drunk so the bloods been thinned out so more damage can be done

Danny green done that add and didn't stop boxing. Because its to the drunks out on the streets looking for the fights.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by swanks swanks wrote:

Taken that 1 punch can kill out of context max. We're talking about trained profesionals who dont have gutters in the ring to smack their head on. They're not paired up against someone half they're size. They have different weight classes to stop that. They're not drunk so the bloods been thinned out so more damage can be done

Danny green done that add and didn't stop boxing. Because its to the drunks out on the streets looking for the fights.
I anticipated a reply like that. The problem is some people, not over-endowed with brains, are more suggestible, and will ape what they see. It appears to them, to validate it as acceptable. I see a major conflict between campaigns to lessen the consequences of street violence, and UFC style organized mayhem.
swanks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by swanks swanks wrote:

I anticipated a reply like that. The problem is some people, not over-endowed with brains, are more suggestible, and will ape what they see. It appears to them, to validate it as acceptable. I see a major conflict between campaigns to lessen the consequences of street violence, and UFC style organized mayhem.

Most of that street violence can come back onto the type of house the person was raised in, school they went to. The discipline they recieved when growing up. And yes i do see it the apes following the flock. Recently someone we know got bashed by a group of teenagers with golf clubs out the front of 1 of the teens house. And all he wanted to do was confront the parents abbout the rude txts that the kid was sending to his daughter. The kid sending the txt met him at the door while his mates jumped from behind the bush and done the number. The parents inside watching and not doin crap. Needless to say those teenagers tasted they're first blood and will prob want to do it again because they never got disciplined. Got away scot free. The cops haven't done nothing because they're underage.

But thats because the parents didn't discipline the kids. Thr best thing parents can do is put their kids into martial arts from a young age for self defence, and for the discipline you learn.

Dont know if thats for you max. Sorta went off on a bit of a rant
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
The older you get, the more you realise there is no such thing as social progress, it can unravel pretty quickly. There are far more "feral" types around today than at any time in my lifetime.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:27pm
In boxing, you get punched and knocked down, then you cant keep hitting the opponent. In UFC, you keep going, and you keep hitting them when they are on the ground. That is the difference between the 2 and a disgraceful one.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:31pm

In boxing, you get punched and knocked down, then you cant keep hitting the opponent. In UFC, you keep going, and you keep hitting them when they are on the ground. That is the difference between the 2 and a disgraceful one.
Where are all those "one punch can kill" people, fronting that campaign ? The silence is deafening.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:47pm

without doubt...it is a disgraceful "sport"....in reality it is street assault, ad nauseam...I just shake my head in disbelief hat this is allowed on TV where kids can see people kicking others in the head, after they are on the ground...

no wonder we have a violent society..

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:04pm
you aren't allowed to kick someone in the head when they are grounded..

the following from here
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

1. The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts and may result in penalties, at the discretion of thereferee, if committed:
    1. Butting with the head
    2. Eye gouging of any kind
    3. Biting
    4. Spitting at an opponent
    5. Hair pulling
    6. Fish hooking
    7. Groin attacks of any kind
    8. Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
    9. Small joint manipulation
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow
    11. Striking to the spine or the back of the head
    12. Kicking to the kidney with a heel
    13. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
    14. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
    15. Grabbing the clavicle
    16. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
    17. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
    18. Stomping a grounded opponent
    19. Holding the fence
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
    21. Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area
    22. Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
    23. Attacking an opponent on or during the break
    24. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
    25. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the round
    26. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
    27. Throwing opponent out of ring/fighting area
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
    29. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
    30. Interference by the corner
    31. Applying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm

Why kick when you can elbow them eh....

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm
  1. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent

they showed that footage over and over on the news last night...

there aren't any rules...it's just street violence...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:18pm
the person on the ground is allowed to protect themselves too..
+ if they are unable the ref stops the fight.

which footage jujuno, i haven't seen any of the fight..?
maybe the person on the ground was trying to get up..
i think if you have a foot planted on the ground that's considered not grounded..
if that makes sense.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:30pm
There used to be virtually no rules at all. No biting or eye gouging was pretty much it. Groin strikes were allowed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>