Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Boxing / UFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:36pm
Trouble is, EI, that a certain percentage of the population (half-wits) will be inspired to act out such antics in inter-personal disagreements. Anything that seems to normalize it, edges them closer to it.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

i enoy watching a good fight too.
be it boxing/mixed martial arts, any code really.
people are intersted in who's the fastest, who can jump higher,
further, who can shoot a gun the most accurately ( on that should all
shooting, archery, fencing sports be banned too as they are based around weapons?)

people are also interested in who is the best fighter.
sometimes 1 has to defend themselves and fights happen -
these athletes are role models i nthe sense that they are fit as f*ck
+ to my knowledge advocate using their skills in self defence or in a ring/fair contest.
do archery / shooting events glorify guns + killing ?

Firearms are used in sports shooting. 
Firearms only become weapons in the wrong hands.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

Ronda by 1st round submission looks a good bet.
OOPS !
What an unedifying scene it was, Rousey bloodied, dazed, and beaten.

LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

Ronda by 1st round submission looks a good bet.
OOPS !
What an unedifying scene it was, Rousey bloodied, dazed, and beaten.

Lucky I didn't pay a cent to watch it, thanks to live streaming. It was $60 on Main event which was daylight robbery.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
Knocked out by a kick to the head.  Thumbs Down A fine sport for any parent to encourage their daughters to enter. Thumbs Down
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by tillyras tillyras wrote:

I've seen worse fights between 15yo girls at the local shopping centre. Who doesn't love a good hair pull Stern Smile

Besides, this fight is 'fake' anyway.

I see so the result was predetermined Confused
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:37pm

Knocked out by a kick to the head.  Thumbs Down A fine sport for any parent to encourage their daughters to enter. Thumbs Down

she'd be pretty good at defending herself if some psycho ever attacked her i reckon.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:42pm

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

she'd be pretty good at defending herself if some psycho ever attacked her i reckon.

maybe a psycho attacked her today. Seriously, society is on the slide if people see something to admire in this.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:47pm
pretty common for parents to send their kids to martial art lessons..
natural extension is combat sports, testing the skills you worked hard to develop.
in a controlled environment against someone else in the same situation.
if watching it isn't you cup of tea, fair enough..i don't watch synchrosied swimming
 - but i 've got no issue with other people practising it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:48pm
Tellya something, totally un-PC I know, but some aboriginal women can fight like threshing machines, they'd knock those biatches into next week !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:54pm
swanks made a good point ealrier too..

boxing may not look as gruesome as the ufc fights where blood is splattered
around - but repeated punching to the head in boxing is more likely to have long term
effects than the blood nose/concussion or whatever short term injuries that are more likely
without the big gloves...yes there are risks in both, but there are risks in any sport.
you could fall off your chair playing chess + knock your head on the table.Smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:00pm
Sink the boot in  ? Hit them when they're down ? These expressions have entered the language as symbolic of unfair play, and excessive force, but they are the stock-in-trade of this "sport", which will inevitably re-inforce it as normal, acceptable behaviour in the wider world of impressionable youth.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:04pm
Disgusting
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:11pm
She was gonzo even before the kick. In the previous fight she won on her feet & I think she thought she was invincible....her strength is on the ground with her judo background. ! I think the Aussie girl will bowl her again in a rematch if she does not get her to the ground !
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Disgusting
You've already said that....sod off out of the thread !
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm
Very strange tactics to use against the best boxer in UFC.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:17pm

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm
The thing with UFC is its horses for courses....usually find they have a core skill type....boxing, wrestling, judo, martial arts ect.....& depending on the match up different skill sets dominate .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:20pm
i'm pretty sure holm is a yank 1:1.

--
+ yes that was the selling point early on, howw would a judo expert go v a boxer
or a wrestler v a karate expert etc..+ that's still a big part of the interest..
seeing how different styles match up.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:24pm
There you go Eccair....I though she was a local girl.....wish she was. She had muscles on her muscles
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
How about a chimp Vs a world champ cage fighter of the same weight? Wow, that didn't last long,........call the undertaker.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:44pm
Just watched it again....she knew she was in trouble half way through the first round....almost out on her feet walking to the stool . Also seemed out of breath early on
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Very strange tactics to use against the best boxer in UFC.

Now there's an oxymoron.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:07pm
Holly Holm (born October 17, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight division. Holm is also a former professional boxer and kickboxer. During her boxing career, she defended her titles 18 times in three weight classes. She is the current UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion after defeating defending champion Ronda Rousey with a knock out 59 seconds into the 2nd round.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:23pm
this seems more brutal, fighrt would have been stooped much earlier in UFC

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/14/9531617/last-woman-to-beat-holly-holm-picks-ronda-rousey-to-win-at-ufc-193
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Disgusting
You've already said that....sod off out of the thread !

Very interesting you like to promote yourself as some domestic violence expert and here you are loving UFC in all its bloody violence........ yep, its all 100 percent alcohol to blame.........nothing at all to do with power, control, desensitization to extremely violent behaviour.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:46pm
Michelle Payne was there watching, probably a "celebrity" invitee.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:08pm
a connection between domestic violence and combat sports?
could see it either way i suppose. normalizes it?
or gives people with an interest an outlet to do what they want to
v someone else who wants to do the same thing..in a controlled environment.
but personally i'm leaning to the latter..
i think people who have violent tendencies don't need inspiration form seeing it on tv.
it's part of their personality already, like alcohol doesn't make people violent,
just makes them less concerned about the consequences, when they are under the influence.

as a kid - friends + i would practise wrestling moves on eachother bodyslams..
sleeper holds - when hulk hogan + andre the giant + co were all the vogue.
i'm pretty sure at that point i hadn't clicked it was fake...was a kid, but still not silly
enough to actually hurt eachother. + it didn't make me want to bodyslam kids in the st.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>