Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Boxing / UFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxing / UFC
    Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:17pm
Rousey V Holm Sunday Arvo.

$1:09 v around $8.

rousey by submission in rd 1 $1:83

any hope for holm?
any value to be found in any market?
any other good bets on the card?

(a few weeks ago a bloke was telling how hot he found rousey, personally
a woman being able to beat the living sh*t out of me is a bit of a turn off..
so doesn't push my buttons at all.)
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:40pm
You prefer to be the one doing the belting? Shocked    Tongue
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:41pm
But, in answer to your query re value-
The 1.83 first round looks okay for mine-
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:45pm
You'd like to wrestle Arousey ?
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
andi,

just doesn't push my buttons, that's all.
being a happily married mam, only mrs e i gets to push my buttons anyway, so all good.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:58am
I lost interest in it after they banned kneess to the head on the ground and headbutting. It's a girls' sport now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:15am
blood sport. I'd expect an upswing in schoolgirls brawls as a result of this. What gets me about the frequent youtube school-girl scraps, is the people around them are all egging them on, not trying to break it up.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:23am
I've seen worse fights between 15yo girls at the local shopping centre. Who doesn't love a good hair pull Stern Smile

Besides, this fight is 'fake' anyway.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

blood sport. I'd expect an upswing in schoolgirls brawls as a result of this. What gets me about the frequent youtube school-girl scraps, is the people around them are all egging them on, not trying to break it up.

Do you like boxing?
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:10pm
Ronda by 1st round submission looks a good bet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Do you like boxing?
Boxing is a lot more acceptable than this cage-fighting stuff.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:01pm
Turned it over for first time ever today. First fight was innocent enough. Was actually quite homoerotic, just 2 dudes with repressed sexuality holding back their desire to kiss.....
Last one I watched was the Aussie kid elbowing a guy in the face repeatedly, blood smeared over both bodies, commentators talking about what a great style the Aussie had. I turned it off. Barbaric, disgraceful, prehistoric and I cant see how social acceptance of this and a spike in domestic and social violence cannot have a link.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Turned it over for first time ever today. First fight was innocent enough. Was actually quite homoerotic, just 2 dudes with repressed sexuality holding back their desire to kiss.....
Last one I watched was the Aussie kid elbowing a guy in the face repeatedly, blood smeared over both bodies, commentators talking about what a great style the Aussie had. I turned it off. Barbaric, disgraceful, prehistoric and I cant see how social acceptance of this and a spike in domestic and social violence cannot have a link.

It alarms me that this seems to be seen as OK. Reminds me of ancient Rome and the barbarity of the colusseum, or is heading in that direction. Very poor example for young people. When I was a kid, we knew the wrestling was theatre, UFC is just vicious.
tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm

Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

It alarms me that this seems to be seen as OK. Reminds me of ancient Rome and the barbarity of the colusseum, or is heading in that direction. Very poor example for young people. When I was a kid, we knew the wrestling was theatre, UFC is just vicious.

Got to agree. When they started this type of fighting i thought it wouldn't last. How wrong i was.

Barbaric blood sport.
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:34pm
It's symptomatic of a society that has shifted visibly toward an over-competitive, under-cooperative, give the other fella hell mindset. No wonder  cops get curry from 14 and 15 year olds today, they'd only get from 17 or 18 year old miscreants just a few years ago.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:37pm
A blood bath.
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:56pm
Some softies on this forum.

Cmon Ronda!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:01pm
You are a renowned Philistine/redneck, LR80. Help me Ronda, help me get her out of my heart !
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm
I am not so sure there is general acceptance of this or any fighting sports. There will always be a section of the community who supports it and as long as it is commercially viable it will always exist.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:29pm
Glorifying violence is not a great move IMO
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:58pm
I can understand it if you dislike all combats sports include boxing, but if you say you don't mind boxing, that tells me me you don't mind brain damage but consider the sight of blood to be barbaric. Boxing and UFC are equally barbaric but they bleed more in UFC because they don't use big gloves.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:03pm

Don't think any of it is a good idea, but kicking and kneeing seems more likely to cause injury than padded gloves used in boxing. But maybe not.

LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:06pm
I'm pretty sure the Pacquaio v Mayweather fight had mainstream coverage, set world record in PPV sales, live gate revenue.

Boxing/UFC are gladiator sports and I marvel at their athleticism rather than derive pleasure out of the violent aspect to the sport. I'd encourage some of the PC brigade to get off their phones, tablets and computers, stop whinging and spar a few rounds in headgear, shadow box or hit the bag. Maybe you'll enjoy the fitness aspect of it. If not, you can always get back to plotting which sport to ban next. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:15pm
i enoy watching a good fight too.
be it boxing/mixed martial arts, any code really.
people are intersted in who's the fastest, who can jump higher,
further, who can shoot a gun the most accurately ( on that should all
shooting, archery, fencing sports be banned too as they are based around weapons?)

people are also interested in who is the best fighter.
sometimes 1 has to defend themselves and fights happen -
these athletes are role models i nthe sense that they are fit as f*ck
+ to my knowledge advocate using their skills in self defence or in a ring/fair contest.
do archery / shooting events glorify guns + killing ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:16pm

Belting people and getting belted isn't that ideal as a way to fitness.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:17pm
good way to prepare yourself if you ever have to defend yourself 1 day.
+ not like they actually beat the cr*p out of eachother in training.
AndiCap View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm
I would rather have these fighting types in controlled environments than running loose on the streets
beating up on random innocents-

The FACT is many just want to fight and will go out of their way to provoke one-
swanks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm
I really can't see the dislike to this sport on here. Some of my closest mates are mma fighters, albeit not professional, but they would be the nicest blokes you'd meet. They dont fight when not in the ring, they're taught discipline by they're trainers.

Its nothing like the romans, because no one is forced to fight to death. There hasn't been a death in ufc. And the reason why they use those small gloves is because the big boxing gloves put the guy on the edge of concussion every time they're punched on the button. That's why alot of the older boxers have some form of brain damage. Its proven that a quick knock out is better than being on the edge for most of the fight.

Btw, everyones favourite actor/martial artist bruce lee was also in a ufc style fight club. Would of loved to see him in the ufc at his prime though👍
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:30pm
not like they go wandering the streets and beating up old ladies
+ televise it.

2 athletes testing themselves + their training/styles v eachother.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm
God's gift to womankind and greatest athlete of all time ko'd in round 2.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>