Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jameka

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoanFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 1:00pm
Still at Pakenham as far as I know, just being a horse again after a tough 6 months
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:49pm

Jameka, one of Australia's most brilliant racemares, will go under the hammer at the 2018 Magic Millions Gold Coast National Broodmare Sale.
The triple Group One winner will join a star studded line-up of fillies and mares after connections decided to nominate her to the supplementary catalogue.

Jameka, to be consigned by Ciaron Maher Racing, won feature group races each season she has raced - at two, three and four.

Possessing an electric turn of foot in her races, Jameka proved to be one of the country's most talented racehorses with earnings of over $4.8 million with wins in the Victoria Oaks, Caulfield Cup and The BMW at racing's elite level.

"We are honoured to have been entrusted to offer Jameka at the National Broodmare Sale - she is an absolute queen," Magic Millions' Managing Director Barry Bowditch said.

"As a racehorse Jameka proved her class from winning a VRC Sires' Produce Stakes at two to her barnstorming win in the Caulfield Cup. And who can forget her last run - a six and a half length demolition of Humidor and co in The BMW."

"Ciaron Maher did a remarkable job with Jameka developing her from a Group Two winning juvenile to one of the stars of Australian racing. We thank him and his team for giving Magic Millions the opportunity to offer their prized mare to a global audience."

The 2018 Magic Millions Gold Coast National Broodmare Sale will be held from 29 May to 1 June and will boast a catalogue of over 1,000 lots. Entries for the supplementary close on 10 May.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:37pm
Three-time Group 1 winner Jameka will be heading home to a familiar face - her breeder Col McKenna buying back the star mare for $2.6 million at the Magic Millions National Broodmare Sale at the Gold Coast on Tuesday.

The 2016 Caulfield Cup winner was always going to be the star attraction of the sale, and she had to wait around to go through the ring later on Tuesday afternoon parading as Lot 1606 - where McKenna was on hand to pick up the mare he knows all too well.

McKenna and wife Janice were on hand to win the rights back to Jameka outright, having raced her with other owners under trainer Ciaron Maher - and it was an emotional winning bid.

"She's been very good to us - she's won nearly $5 million," McKenna said.

"I don't think it was a big outlay personally. We expected her to make somewhere between $2.5-3 million.

"That's what I thought.

"I'm very happy - my wife [Janice] wanted her back, and she's got her back."

In terms of a plan of stallions for Jameka, McKenna said it was too early to tell - but did tease another of his horses, one bound for Royal Ascot in a few weeks' time, might be in the mix.

"I did own a share in Merchant Navy of course, so who knows? She might go there. I don't know yet. We'll work out the mating," he added.

Earlier, Omei Sword was sold for $1.7 million and will be sent to the Northern Hemisphere for a date with one of the world's best stallions.

The talented mare surpassed Abbey Marie ($1.4 million) as the highest-priced lot at that stage on day one of the sale, before Jameka later trumped the pair of them.

Both mares were purchased by bloodstock agents Dean Hawthorne and John Freyer, acting on behalf of Jonathan Munz and Arrowfield Stud.

Omei Sword, by High Chaparral out of Group 1 winner Irish Lights, finished her career with two wins from 12 starts.

"We thought she would be well sought after and had to stump up to get her, we went a little higher than what we thought originally but when you are chasing these big mares, you have got to pay because everyone wants them," Hawthorne said.

"She comes from a lovely family, Irish Lights herself was a Group 1 winner, the bloodlines suit what we are doing breeding-wise for the future.

"When progeny come through out of Omei Sword in years to come, people will know exactly who Omei Sword was, she was very good.

"She will go straight to stud, she will be bred in the Northern Hemisphere.

"And hopefully we will get her back down her in 12 months and regroup.

"There are a couple (of stallions) in mind in the north, she is definitely going to the Northern Hemisphere and we will sit down in the next week and determine a plan for the next two to three years."

Abbey Marie ensured the sale got off to a strong start, fetching $1.4 million as only the fourth lot in to the ring.

"We thought she was the filly of the day for us, she has so much quality, she has a great pedigree, she is a tough sound mare, she just oozed class," Hawthorne said.

"($1.4 million) was a little bit higher than what we thought, but when you pick out the ones you want you are going to have to pay for them, especially at the top end."

Abbey Marie finished fourth in the Group 1 Doomben Cup behind Comin' Through on May 19 and Hawthorne said a decision is yet to be made as to whether she will be retired immediately or continue to race on during the Winter Carnival.

"We haven't ruled it out, John Freyer and myself will talk about that, we just wanted to get her first and then make plans," he said.

A daughter of Redoute's Choice, Abbey Marie won the Schweppes Oaks at only her third start but has failed to win another race since that Group 1 triumph in 2016.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:02pm
Unnamed  
Merchant Navy (AUS)
Bay 2014
Fastnet Rock
Bay 2001
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Piccadilly Circus
Bay 1995
Royal Academy
Bay 1987
Nijinsky
Crimson Saint
8-f
8-c
Gatana
Bay 1989
Marauding
Twigalae
4-i
2-f
Legally Bay
Chestnut 2000
Snippets
Bay 1984
Lunchtime
Chestnut 1970
Silly Season
Great Occasion
1-g
7-f
Easy Date
Bay 1977
Grand Chaudiere
Scampering
19-b
20-a
Decidity
Bay 1993
Last Tycoon
Bay or brown 1983
Try My Best
Mill Princess
8-f
8-c
Class
Chestnut 1987
Twig Moss
Pirouette
1-k
1-n
Jameka (AUS)
Bay 2012
Myboycharlie
Bay 2005
Danetime
Bay 1994
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Allegheny River
Bay 1987
Lear Fan
Allesheny
20>
4-r
Dulceata
Bay 1988
Rousillon
Bay or brown 1981
Riverman
Belle Dorine
10-a
8-k
Snowtop
Bay 1983
Thatching
Icing
5-h
13-e
Mine Game
Chestnut 2005
General Nediym
Chestnut 1994
Nediym
Bay 1985
Shareef Dancer
Nilmeen
4-r
9-c
Military Belle
Bay 1988
Without Fear
Reticella
4-c
10-d
Aperto
Chestnut 1994
Grosvenor
Bay 1979
Sir Tristram
My Tricia
6-e
8>
Pathos
Chestnut 1984
The Minstrel
Warfever
8-f
1-e
 Ancestor duplications:Danehill3m x 4m
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:20pm
She’s back in work at Ciaron’s.
Taking it a day at a time, but if she continues to progress she may have a couple of runs in some of the early features before going to stud.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:11pm
Great news. She deserves another crack
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:46pm
Coming along okay early stages. About a month off a jumpout
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:05pm
Caulfield trainer Ciaron Maher is undergoing surgery this morning for a suspected broken femur after champion mare Jameka threw him at trackwork at Caulfield on Friday.

Maher's assistant trainer David Eustace confirmed Maher had been taken to hospital via ambulance after the incident at around 4am.

Eustace explained Maher was aboard Jameka trotting in the exercise area when she whipped around and threw him heavily to the ground.

He said Jameka was caught immediately after the incident and sustained no injuries.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
They apparently rushed to secure Jameka and later looked to see how Ciaron was as something of an afterthought.  Smile
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 1:24pm
Jameka's wonderful comeback story might have had its final chapter at the Cranbourne trials on Monday with trainer Ciaron Maher clearly underwhelmed by her performance. The six-year-old mare, who has not started for 16 months after almost dying from travel sickness, was listed as finishing sixth in Monday's 990 metre trial behind a Mick Price trifecta when Holy Snow beat his Guineas winners Grunt and Mighty Boss. After the trial, Maher conceded: "I know the horse really well and she's a little bit off where she needs to be. "If she goes back to the races, she goes back to group 1 level and she needs to be competitive at that level otherwise there is no point running her, so she needs to improve a little. "We all know what's she's done. Unless I feel she's somewhere close to her best – knowing she does improve through her campaign as she stretches out in distance – if she's not somewhere near her best or somewhere near where she needs to be to kick off, there's probably not much point. "We'll see how she pulls up over the next few days and I'll sit down with the owners to make a decision on whether she goes to another trial and let her come on a little bit more that way or whether she goes to stud." WATCH: Jameka's Cranbourne trial     As for the trial, Maher said he felt the old Jameka would have shown more. "I thought she trialled OK but I thought she could have done a little bit more. She really likes these conditions – it was a soft 7 there today. "(She) probably could have done a little more through the line but we'll see how she is over the next few days." Maher said jockey Mark Zahra viewed Jameka's trial in a similar way to her trainer. "He (Zahra) said she travelled really well, felt great underneath him. She wanted to lay-in a little bit when he asked the question of her and was good through the line but has been a bit sharper in the past." In 24 starts, Jameka has won six races – three of them at group 1 level – with earnings of $4.87 million.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:22am
JAMEKA’S future continues to hang in the balance after a mediocre trial at Cranbourne on Monday.

Ciaron Maher and David Eustace have decided to press on with the star mare’s preparation.

But there is no guarantee the triple Group 1 winner will return to the track,

Jameka hasn’t raced since contracting life-threatening travel sickness after her BMW victory in March, 2017.

It is likely a decision will be made next week as to whether she heads back to the trials or a race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:23am
A desire to see how the comeback mare Jameka performs under race conditions might be enough for Caulfield trainer Ciaron Maher to send the mare to the races as early as this Saturday.

The 2016 Caulfield Cup champion was one of 18 entries for Saturday's group 2 Lawrence Stakes at Caulfield but while Maher was being coy about her return when quizzed on Monday, he said race conditions might provoke a response from the mare.

"It would be good to see her under race conditions - it might just stimulate her a bit more - but as I said, I'll see how she works and we'll make a decision closer to race day," Maher said.

"I've got a fair idea on her now but I'll have a chat to the owner first. I thought we'd put her in there and have a look. It's an option. She'll either trial or go to the races.’’

Saturday's $200,000 Lawrence Stakes will mark almost exactly 18 months since Jameka last raced. After winning the group 1 BMW by a widening six and a half lengths, Jameka was struck down with a serious bout of travel sickness on her way home to Melbourne.

Maher feared she might not live but Jameka's condition finally improved to the stage where he put her back into work. A lacklustre trial at Cranbourne last month placed some doubt on her return, but her nomination for the Lawrence can only be seen as a positive sign.

If Jameka does return to the races this Saturday she might find herself up against as many as seven horses from the Darren Weir stable.

Weir nominated Caulfield Cup favourite Kings Will Dream as well as proven group 1 performers Humidor, Black Heart Bart, Red Cardinal, Big Duke, Danon Liberty and last week's Aurie's Star winner Voodoo Lad.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 3:00pm
After a disappointing trial this morning Jameka has been retired to stud.

The racing comeback of 2016 Caulfield Cup winner Jameka is over, with the six-year-old mare heading to the breeding barn this spring after another lacklustre trial at Cranbourne on Tuesday.

The news was confirmed some hours after Jameka was again unplaced in an 1190-metre trial. The three-time group 1 winner had been unable to recapture her best form after her life was nearly claimed by travel sickness 18 months ago.

Jameka's final race in a career that spanned 24 starts was probably her best performance of all as she won the 2017 Group 1 BMW at Rosehill by 6.5 lengths to take her earnings beyond $4.8 million.

Jameka went through the Magic Millions broodmare sale in May, where she was purchased outright by part-owners Colin and Janice McKenna for $2.6m. McKenna announced her retirement to the Warrnambool Standard on Tuesday.

An announcement is expected soon as to which stallion Jameka will visit this spring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678