Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jameka

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by tillyras tillyras wrote:

I would be surprised if she ran Top 5

Personally I think she is good enough to win it if she draws a barrier. Would rather see Oliver on so may just depend if Nick "asleep at the wheel" Hall gets going soon enough to get to the line first.
SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:01pm

I would be very surprised if she missed top 5.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm

Why Tilly? she is my top pick at the moment . would love a jockey change though
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
The Gooch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:22pm
I think she is clear top pick. At the very least the pick of the locals. Last 2 starts resulted in a 4 length win over 2000, then last start she was gapped by Hartnell but then she had 3 lengths in the next tier of horses like Preferment, Tarzino and Tally. Runs the trip, handles all track surfaces and will carry 52.5kg. Will wait till final fields though as $4 is way too short currently.
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:44pm
What did Hall say after winning the Caulfield Cup?
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Why Tilly? she is my top pick at the moment . would love a jockey change though
I too wait for a compelling answer
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:09pm
I would lay her simply because she is a 4yo oaks winning mare. Probably do my dough one of these days but that's good enough for me. They can't all be Winx.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:12pm
She is a 4yo mare that seems to be thriving.

Her form demands she be the top ranked Australasian representative. 
reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:16pm
There's only three that aren't Aus/NZ reps...

I think she's going to win this by a big margin.
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm
Don't know about top 5 but I wouldnt be surprised to see her miss the placings. I don't get the wrap on her, she has won one race this prep when she found the speed lane.
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Delta Deel Delta Deel wrote:

Don't know about top 5 but I wouldnt be surprised to see her miss the placings. I don't get the wrap on her, she has won one race this prep when she found the speed lane.
Other than Hartnell she's gapped the field her last 2 runs.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
The Turnbull was a thin race with The US out and Preferment in terrible form. I can't imagine an Aus/NZ horse winning the Caulfield Cup but Jameka will probably do the best of them.
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Delta Deel Delta Deel wrote:

She isn't a first up horse and she was trapped wide at the Valley so a bit of a harsh evaluation.

She will be competitive enough with that weight.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The Turnbull was a thin race with The US out and Preferment in terrible form. I can't imagine an Aus/NZ horse winning the Caulfield Cup but Jameka will probably do the best of them.

Well hope you're off-base Tlaz, as have backed Tally all-in to win $7,300 at a cost of $200.  I give him a sporting chance, and reckon Jameka, Real Love and Preferment can figure also.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:18pm
My reason for earlier comment is related to Nick Hall being the rider. He is a terrible jockey for this horse. I'd like to see Ollie on her for the Cc and I think she could win.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm
She'll win the Caulfield cup
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Beware, have a look at the number of Caulfield Cup winners that have been trained at Caulfield.
Last winner was Elvstroem in 2004, before that Arctic Scent ???( 1996 ). Before 1996 I cannot think of any Caulfield trained horse to win, although Qld horse Cole Diesel may have been trained there whilst he was in Melbourne. 
All of Freedman's winners were trained at Flemington.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Beware, have a look at the number of Caulfield Cup winners that have been trained at Caulfield.
Last winner was Elvstroem in 2004, before that Arctic Scent ???( 1996 ). Before 1996 I cannot think of any Caulfield trained horse to win, although Qld horse Cole Diesel may have been trained there whilst he was in Melbourne. 
All of Freedman's winners were trained at Flemington.

How many have started that were trained out of Caulfield? What was their SP? Weekend Hussler was I think and he started short of the love of the general public but he was never going to win that race.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:58pm
Nick Hall's the perfect jockey for obviously. He's won the Sires, Naturalism and 2nd in a Turnbull in 3 rides, seems clear cut to me!

As already mentioned, wide at the Valley and very good, hence why everyone backed her next start and if she didn't perform in the Turnbull then you know it was just an off day for the rest but she smashed them - going away too.

Giddy up!
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:07pm
Cannot recall the names but I am sure Geoff Murphy, Mick Price, Rick Hore-Lacy,Robert Smerdon,Peter Moody, Angus Armanasco, Lee Freedman ( when he trained at Caulfield ) , Colin Little,Des Judd etc all had plenty of starters over the years.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:33pm
I counted 8 from Caulfield BB,.going back to 1957 ,Sir Blink,Regal Wench,Sobar,Gurners Lane,Tristark,Imposera
Paris Lane ,.Yangsze,.Des Judd two that I know of Bore Head and Beer Street,.although Des may have had
Yangsze when at caul.fwiw.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:35pm
Gee, she ticks all the boxes this mare. I grew up knowing you go looking for the 4yo mares in the Caulfield Cup. Oaks winners like her were the ones. Ethereal won one. Republican Lass ran a placing. More recently Southern Speed.

Jameka is probably classier and has done more than all of them. But above all else, her run in the Turnbull is as good a Caulfield Cup trial you will ever see. They don't do that, behind a horse many are touting capable of knocking off a world class champion, without being a huge Caulfield Cup chance.

This is the one with Hartnell now almost certain to run in the Cox Plate.
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:40pm
Which Oaks did Southern Speed win? Winx is the only Oaks winner since Etherial to win one of the big 3 spring races as a 4yo. Forget looking for them just lay them!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Baghdad Bob,.Ross Mac, may have been at Epsom when Imposera and Tristarc won.Noccy may know.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Which Oaks did Southern Speed win? Winx is the only Oaks winner since Etherial to win one of the big 3 spring races as a 4yo. Forget looking for them just lay them!

That might be a wise move at the beginning of Spring but how many 4yo mares had super duper form well into the Spring going into one of the big 3 ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

That might be a wise move at the beginning of Spring but how many 4yo mares had super duper form well into the Spring going into one of the big 3 ?

Id have to look at all the fields for a refresher but there have been several. Miss Finland at the top of the list of hyped up Oaks winners that failed to go on.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:50pm
When I listed those examples I was referring to "you look for 4yo mares." Albeit she placed in an Australasian Oaks.

Point being, Southern Speed ran 2nd Underwood, 4th Turnbull or something like that and then beats the future Melbourne Cup winner Green Moon in the Caulfield Cup.  Ethereal 3rd Yalumba then beat Sky Heights in the Caulfield Cup. Republic Lass 3rd Hill Stakes, 4th Yalumba and then runs 3rd in the Caulfield Cup to dual Cox Plate winners Northerly and Fields Of Omagh.

You want to lay the 4yo mares who are doing nothing in their spring prep and are in the race only because they qualified off a restricted 3yo fillies prep and have shown nothing to suggest they can win a G1 in open class.

But when they take that step and are performing at WFA in open class already, it will take a very good WFA horse to beat them. Jameka just ran 2nd to Hartnell - needs no intro/summary - and thrashed everything behind her including last year's Turnbull, Australian Cup and BMW winner. She will carry 52kg, has tactical speed to be there (I believe that's a huge plus for a Caulfield Cup unless you're Dunaden or Admire Rakti), will come into it off two 2000m runs (hard fit and seasoned) and is a G1 2400m winner.
Sunline...simply supreme
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:55pm
Fwiw,.How Now 1976 ,.won Ajc Oaks,.Underwood Stk,.Caulfield Stk..Caulfield Cup,..Swell Time 1973 won NZ oaks
won Caulfield Cup ( God bless her )
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:55pm
No, you want to lay all Oaks winners because they are inevitable running with too much weight given to them on the back of wins where they are usually more physically mature than their opposition. Lay them all in the big 3 and you will be miles in front. Start of the spring or at final field, it doesn't matter.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
Exceed, you're being a little narrow-minded mate. I'm the first to lean on a good stat or history mounting against something. Trust me I am. But there has been good history to show this can be a race for 4yo mares when you strike the right one. It's not like the "you have to have one run in Aus to win the M Cup."
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>