Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Robbie Laing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robbie Laing
    Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 11:11am

Robbie Laing will decide whether El Soleado has one more run or head to the spelling paddock after his victory in the Bendigo Golden Mile on Saturday.

Laing said on Sunday morning he was on the mend after he had suffered a leg injury on Friday.

“I’ve got a crack in the top of the femur, where it goes on to the hip. There’s a lot of fluid and build-up on the hip,” Laing said.

“I couldn’t walk on Friday. I was a little bit better on Saturday and I’m hobbling today.”

Laing said he was putting some leg straps on Attain when Hey Fat Cat lunged at him over the petition between them.

“Attain spun around to protect himself, and when he swung around I took the full impact of his rump and he slammed me into the wall.”

Laing said he watched El Soleado’s victory at his parent’s place sitting on the couch with them and his sister.

Laing said he told Patrick Moloney how to ride him in the Golden Mile and he followed the instructions to a tee.

“At the end of the meeting, you would be better suited to have drawn wide as the track would be chopped up. I told him to get back two or three in the running line and then come home down the middle of the track.”

Laing said the Mornington Cup could come up too quickly for El Soleado.

“It might be too big a step at the end of his campaign. One more run somewhere or go to the paddock is my plan.”

Laing said there could be a couple of options at the VOBIS Gold Race day at Caulfield on April 27.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 3:28pm
Group 1-winning trainer Robbie Laing has received a suspended penalty after pleading guilty to failing to provide veterinary treatment to two broodmares on his property.

Laing was charged in September with failing to provide veterinary treatment to the mares in March 22.

The Victorian Racing Tribunal heard a member of the public reported the mares were in poor condition, which eventually resulted in the horses being humanely euthanised.

Laing's counsel Ross Inglis told the VRT there were mitigating circumstances that led to horses' condition.

Inglis said Laing suffered from a severe case of Covid while arrangements to feed the horses fell through due to misunderstandings.

The lawyer noted Laing had a long history of helping others that have had issues caring for horses in the past, which he argued entitled the trainer to a suspended sentence.

RV's legal team agreed with Inglis's submission on penalty.

The panel, chaired by Judge John Bowman, noted Laing was unlikely to reoffend when handing the trainer a six-month suspension, suspended for two years
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 3:27pm
Group 1-winning trainer Robbie Laing has received a suspended penalty after pleading guilty to failing to provide veterinary treatment to two broodmares on his property.

Laing was charged in September with failing to provide veterinary treatment to the mares in March 22.

The Victorian Racing Tribunal heard a member of the public reported the mares were in poor condition, which eventually resulted in the horses being humanely euthanised.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 3:23pm
Dont know.  Cant keep up with all the things that happen.
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 1:28pm
Have the charges ever been proven?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 12:59pm
OMG did anyone see the clip/vid they did on him on channel 7 racing yesterday.  Why do they promote people like this ?
He looked a complete slob. Never even made an effort to shave and spruce up a bit .  Carrying on about his love of horses.
Made me want to puke.Sick
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:54am
No follow up on the horse welfare charges with the two broodmares that he denied vet treatment? Hows this bloke still training? The last people in the world that should work and profit from animals are those with no concern for their welfare. Bad look for racing, the industry doesn’t need negative PR. People like that need weeding out, not given second chances or more. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:34am
I have to agree Oldflight. These people that don't pay their bills sicken me. They know they can get away with it. I hope all the suppliers in Vic have him COD .

oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 9:04pm
How many more puff pieces on this Bloke are they going to do?
Nothing on all of the business who did it tough with him duding them for money and then they had COV hit them, magnifying the issue (less cash flow due to bad debts)

I really feel that promoting this bloke will end in tears for all, but him!

Just my opinion, happy to be corrected

Ciao For Now Oldflight
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Foxseal Foxseal wrote:

Robbie looks to have a handy young horse in Hey Fat Cat, who won again today at Sandown.

Noticed Robbie scratched Hey Fat Cat from a very winnable race at Sandown today & has instead accepted with him in the Autumn Stks at Caulfield on Sat.

Cant say I’ll be backing him to beat Southport Tycoon but will be interesting to see how he measures up in better grade on Sat.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 9:19am
Stars of Carrum, two tendons and then he breaks down and can’t be saved? Save me the crocodile tears Cry horse welfare is gelatie
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 6:36pm
Robbie looks to have a handy young horse in Hey Fat Cat, who won again today at Sandown.

Saw this horse debut at 100/1 in a 2yo race at Flemington over 1000m last winter and thought he ran a great race at the time and a horse to follow.

Kicking myself I didn’t notice him when he went around at 10/1 in a Sale maiden and won by 7.5 Len!!  He’s backed that up again today albeit at 6/4 fave.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 1:33pm

Stars of Carrum passes away

Robbie Laing’s stable stalwart Stars of Carrum has sadly died after a routine trackwork session at Cranbourne on Wednesday morning.

The eight-year-old, whose sole victory came in the G2 Moonee Valley Vase in 2018, returned with an eye-catching first-up run at the same track last Saturday with eyes towards a third Adelaide Cup tilt.

“He was only cantering, he went three furlongs and he blundered,” Laing explained.

“He had Sunday off and had a swim yesterday and this morning he was just trotting and cantering.

“He was beaten 2.3 lengths and was the quickest sectional home (on Saturday), I was rapt and he had pulled up fantastic.”

The son of Fiorente was famously Laing’s only yearling purchase in 2017, paying $75,000 for the VRC Derby runner-up behind Extra Brut at the Inglis Melbourne Premier Sale.

When struggling to syndicate the horse, it was at a Carrum Football Club reunion event where Laing gathered former teammates into the horse.

Despite two tendon injuries and having stints under Michael Kent, Pat Carey and Peter Moody, Stars of Carrum earned $729,055 in prizemoney.

“We like the pictures on the wall and we love winning but when they take you Sydney and Queensland as well and win three quarters of a million,” Laing recalled.

“After he was gelded he was a lovely horse anyone could ride him.

“Special mention to PJ she rode him every morning… she just adored him.

“When you have a slender little team he was one of the main cogs in the wheel.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2024 at 10:37am
Stars of Carrum sadly broke down at the track this morning and couldn’t be saved 
QuizAbout View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuizAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2023 at 6:04am
He also has Box Vale in the stable, Desert Lashes first foal, by Fiorente. A big 2yo, had its 1st the other week, think it would be better to come back in late spring.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2023 at 1:35pm
Robbie has got a couple of interesting debutants at Sale today.

R1 - Towering : By SYT from the family of Grosvenor

R7 - So Think Again : By SYT from a daughter of Let’s Elope

Pedigrees like that I could have posted this in the bees to stay thread!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:06pm
Lets see what punishment he gets .  6 lashes with a wet noodle , as most of these offenders seem to get .
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 1:56pm
Yes, serial offender of the worst kind Angry
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:21pm
Yikes.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:22am
Lock this bastard up and throw away the key, that's the final straw......fiddlesticks....
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:41am

Robbie Laing hit with welfare charges

Racing Victoria stewards have levelled welfare charges against Cranbourne trainer Robbie Laing for allegedly failing to provide veterinary treatment to two broodmares.

Stewards will allege Laing failed to treat retired racehorse Private Show, found to be suffering from severe chronic laminitis and was subsequently euthanised, between January 1 and March 11, 2022.

A second broodmare, Rock My Fuji, was also subsequently euthanised after a difficulty foaling led to the horse not feeding and a body condition score of 0 out of five.

Stewards allege Laing failed to provide treatment to Rock My Fuji between November 1, 2021 and March 11, 2022.

The charges will be heard before the Victorian Racing Tribunal on a date to be fixed.

Stewards announced the charges late on Thursday.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:17pm
Took a little while longer than I expected, but Tasuma has given Robbie his first winner after his enforced hiatus.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:16pm
Robbies only horse Tasuma just ran in a 1950m maiden at Yarra Glen - ran on pretty resolutely for a 2nd placing.  Should be a forthcoming maiden win over 1900-2200m for this horse next time.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:01pm

Robbie Laing admits he couldn't recall his Racing Australia code on Monday morning, when he rang up to enter his first horse in more than two years.

"I couldn't even remember my access code, I had to ring them up and ask the first few numbers," he said with a laugh.

Laing has one horse in work, Tasuma, and was recently granted permission to return to training at Cranbourne, after being thrown a lifeline by Racing Victoria in December.

"I am sharing (son) Jack's property in Cranbourne South," Laing explained.

"I'm fortunate Neil Bainbridge has let me back to train at the club.

"I wouldn't have minded if I had to go elsewhere but what's the saying ... you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

"I've been there all my life, it's close to the beach and all my family is based in the area."

Laing in recent months has spent time working as foreman for son Jack, having also helped out Robbie Griffiths and Mathew de Kock as well as Shawn Mathrick in his time away.

Tasuma has been entered for races at Pakenham on Thursday night and Yarra Valley on Saturday.

"He's a Tavistock out of a Zabeel mare, which has had super success," Laing said of the three-year-old.

"Jack paid $20,000 for him off Bjorn Baker and I helped putting some friends in, but I said to him they'll probably want me to train it when I get my licence back, which he was fine about.

"First-up he ran over 1000 metres and was good.

"Then he got a cold and was four or five weeks between runs and hit the line alright I thought on a Heavy track over 1600 metres.

"He'll win a mile-and-a-quarter maiden, whether it's this week or the start after.

"I'd like to think we can get him to Flemington on ANZAC Day for the 2800-metre St Ledger."

RV gave a bankrupt Laing his trainer's licence back under a proposal with the support of prominent businessmen Peter Sidwell, Rick Smith and Andrew Harrison.

"The agreement was the three of them felt I shouldn't have been denied a way to make a living, so they did something about it," Laing said.

"They put in a pool of money for suppliers and the like, but they all have their other trainers too.

"They might give me a horse or two, but we aren't going to go spending one or two million (dollars) at the sales.

"I'm going to be hunting my own down."

Laing is hopeful for the return of one of his banner horses, Stars Of Carrum, who was runner-up in the 2018 Victoria Derby, once fully recovered from a second injury.

He also 'doubled' his stable on Monday afternoon with his partnership, Winning Ways Racing, purchasing Lot 1059 at the Gold Coast Magic Millions Yearling Sale.

Possessing a knack for finding a yearling, including Victoria Derby winner Polanski for just $4000, this chestnut colt is a son of Heroic Valour and is the furst foal out of a winning Pierro mare

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:42am
Wonder if he is allowed to have a betting account?
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:14pm
You have to love Robbie. He has more front than Myers. Another scoundrel wont upset the balance in this industry 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:11pm

Robbie Laing has trained almost 1200 winners, but you get the feeling the next winner he saddles up might just be the most satisfying of them all.

Bankruptcy robbed Laing of not only his trainers licence two years ago but his way of life, but on Wednesday he was granted permission by RV to return to the training ranks.

Despite his ups and downs, there is no dampening Laings enthusiasm to set the alarm again to the early morning rises, nor did he fall out of love with the game in his time away.

Here I was without the love of my life for two years - but Im back, Laing said.

I probably wasnt as intent on racing midweek because I didnt want to be a couch potato and watch races all day, but from 12 until 5 on a Saturday afternoon I was fully focused on what was going on.

If youre training horses its more than a job, its a way of life and youve got to love it.

The windscreens are big a big piece of glass, the rear vision mirror is only small so we will look at the big picture.

Im keen as mustard to get going.

With the backing of prominent businessmen Peter Sidwell, Rick Smith and Andrew Harrison, Laing will be employed by a new company named Winning Ways Racing.

I just want to take things quiet and go steady, I want to recruit the best staff and best horses I can, Laing explained.

I dont want a big team... below 10 (horses).

I want to be able to train them, I want to be able to take them to the beach myself and all those things.

We are going to start talking about what type of horses to target, what horses I need now to get me back going and what to target at the yearling sales.

There are a few maybes I could be getting, Stars of Carrum after hes been rehabbed after reinjury his tendon with Moods could be one and the horse that I bred Gennady I believe could be coming back.

One of Laings first jobs will be to find himself a training base.

With Peter Sidwell one of three businessmen to throw Laing a financial lifeline, he may also be in a position to accommodate Laing at his now vacant Sutton Grange property.

Laing first helped Sidwell bring his private training vision to reality in the early 2000s helping with the design and being the properties first tenant training over 60 horses at any one time.

It has been mentioned, Laing said of a potential return to Sutton Grange.

Cranbourne is a fantastic place to train also, Im just waiting for the committee to give me the thumbs up or the thumbs down and if I get the thumbs down its not the end of the world.

Pakenham is a beautiful place to train from, so is Mornington.

While acquiring horses and a stable will be a priority for Laing, so will getting his finances in order.

When you have your license taken off you and you owe people money that gives you no ability to earn and no ability to pay people back, Laing said.

All these people I havent paid I cant, Ive been living on Jobseeker worth $630 a fortnight.

My car has been repossessed, I lost my house, I had to have a total hip operation and lost my farm.

I wasnt suspended, not disqualified, hadnt cheated or done anything ill towards a horse, I just ran out of money.

Despite the hardships and not setting a return date, the Group 1 winning trainer is certain one of thing, and that is vowing to bounce back in typical Laing fashion.

I never let it get me, he said.

I always thought there are a hell of a lot of people worse off then someone who has lost their job.

If Ive got the backing to do it, Ill been attending the sales and be buying something that will run early and something that can get over ground.

The only form of advertising in racing is winning, you can take out a big glossy advertisement but winning means the phone doesnt stop.

In five years time if Im training big winners the old blokes down the pub will elbow each other and say was it four or five years ago Robbie Laing was out... its a funny game.

monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:15pm
Here we go again! He owed so many people money and didnt give a damn. Left so many people not paid, not a great look for the industry.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 7:56pm

Robbie Laing is set to rejoin the Victorian training ranks after Racing Victoria on Wednesday gave the Group 1-winning horseman back his trainers' licence.

Laing saddled up his most recent runner in November 2019, before having his licence withdrawn by RV after he was deemed bankrupt. He was first licensed in 1980.

It had been reported that Laing's submission for a return included that he had gathered the support of Peter Sidwell and fellow businessmen Andrew Harrison and Rick Smith.

Sidwell, who owns a private training property in Sutton Grange that was recently vacated by Brent Stanley, had Laing as his first tenant at the facility in the early 2000s.

It is unknown where Laing will resume training from

"Two years have passed since I last threw a saddle on one on race day," Laing said in a post on social media.

"Jobseeker, some immediate family, mum 87, dad 91, and sister Jenny and some good friends have looked after me exceptionally.

"No house, no car, until gifted one by a champion of a man Rick Smith.

"I'm back, I want to win the Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate and any other Group 1's around the country."

RV said Laing's application for a trainers' licence had been provisionally approved pending acceptance of the conditions and completion of necessary paperwork.

Laing's sons Jack and Aaron have also recently entered the training ranks.

Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 6:48pm
RE Laing - back in business with RV giving him his trainers licence back today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>