Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ben & JD Hayes [was + Dabernig]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ben & JD Hayes [was + Dabernig]
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:38pm
What is happening here.....Surprised how poor considering the quality they get.

Worst results in 5 years. ROI -43%

Their facebook updates are all about syndicating than giving updates.  

Too distracted with Criterion?

Yearly Breakdown
Last 5 years
Starts1st2nd3rdWinPlaceAvg Win OddsROI
2011231728627023512%34%$6.47-20%
2012139714315915110%32%$6.32-35%
2013109411113111410%33%$6.85-30%
2014118115014313713%36%$6.09-23%
201576082968411%34%$5.25-43%

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Feb 2023 at 4:56pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:43pm
Michael W said this wk what a promising bunch they have coming thru'.....remains to be seen.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm
How much prize money have they won during those 5 seasons ?

I have always been amazed that Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum has never had any other trainer in Australia.
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm
Average training fees between $5-6k per month at Euroa.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:02pm
Should have kept the mysterious package.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:22pm
And to think some where saying in January they were a chance to knock Weir off his perch.
Daytripper View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daytripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:36pm
I think we are seeing the impact of the bushfires that ripped through his property 6 months ago. 

After effects of that were always going to be felt 3-6 months down the track.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:13pm
Smoke inhalation/lung damage Daytripper?
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Smoke inhalation/lung damage Daytripper?

Not to mention the stress to any of those horses.. as its there instinct to flee, imagine that all impacts
one way or another:
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:11pm
Great behind the video camera. They do impressive 20-30 seconds updates oncer per week...........
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

About $200 per day.

That can't be correct (can it).

Or have I got the figures wrong.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 3:47pm

How much does it cost to have a horse in training at Lindsay Park?
The average ongoing cost is around $4,000/month (for the whole horse) which covers training, spelling, veterinary fees, transport, farrier etc. The monthly cost can fluctuate greatly depending on whether or not the horse is racing, in training, spelling, nominating for feature races etc. Over a 12 month period a budget of around $4,000/month is a guide.

http://www.lindsaypark.com.au/ownersfaq
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 3:51pm
Owners are welcome to speak with David Hayes directly 0437 888 808
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 3:57pm
Imagine it would only get up to $5k+ when racing.  Same as a number of Sydney stables.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

About $200 per day.  That can't be correct (can it).  Or have I got the figures wrong.

Actually much closer to 6k when vet, self-administered medications, transport, noms etc are added to the daily rate.  Which as someone else said is about the going rate in Sydney or with the upper level trainers around Melbourne.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:21pm
I like the drones he uses filming from above while his horses are galopping
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
They have taken the marketing of their training to new levels that is for sure.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:39am

Calculated risk gets trainer David Hayes past investment post

Melbourne Cup-winning trainer David Hayes. Picture: Wayne Ludbey.

Melbourne Cup-winning trainer David Hayes. ‘If you are buying property and can afford to hold on to it, it’s not a gamble’. Picture: Wayne Ludbey. Source: News Corp Australia

One of Australia’s most celebrated racehorse trainers, David Hayes has favourites running in the Cox Plate and Caulfield Cup this year. As an investor, he appreciates the merit of a calculated gamble; he’s prepared to endure the stresses of debt financing and he constantly invests time and money in his core business.

What was your first job?

Working for my father in the stables on the school holidays, I was about 12. I love it, and anyway Dad didn’t really about believe in holidays.

What did you learn about money growing up?

Not to spend more than you’ve got. I have (done that) generally.

You have trained horses for some ultra-wealthy people, and moved to Hong Kong for a decade not long after winning the Melbourne Cup in 1999. What did you learn about money from these people?

All of them at one stage have taken a big gamble in their lives to make their money — whether it was calculated or not. And if they are ultra-wealthy, they have either had a tonne of luck and an ounce of judgment or an ounce of luck and a tonne of judgment.

But the person I learned most from was my father. I’ve made most money doing what I do.

How do you invest outside your business?

These days I much prefer to ­invest in my core business rather than anywhere else.

I have invested in a lot of different things outside my core business, often with friends. But it’s only property that really paid off, and by training horses, and buying and selling horses.

But it’s taken me a while to learn this.

If you are buying property and can afford to hold on to it, it’s not a gamble. The properties I buy, I can afford. We have our freehold ­family home and a couple of other investment properties that give me a nice rental earning.

Did the fires that burnt around and on the fringes of Lindsay Park in Euroa last year make you worry about your ­investment?

Not really, you worry at the time, but we have the right amount of insurance, we were prepared.

It cost you $20 million to build Lindsay Park in Euroa, but you did it without yet having sold your Barossa Park property. You have said the banks were breathing down your neck? How hard was it?

I decided to sell the family property (in South Australia) to start up a mirror copy — a new Victorian version. But then the world crumbled a bit — I put the property on the market during the GFC, so instead of taking one year to sell it took four. 
So I was bridging, but I didn’t want to be a forced seller. Thankfully Mr Pan (Pan Sutong, chairman of Goldin Group) came and bought Lindsay Park and we were able to wipe the slate clean.

But it was always worth more than the banks said — I changed banks through it all, because I wasn’t happy with the deal I was getting, (my previous bank) didn’t want to wait. But NAB was fantastic and I’m still with them now.

It wasn’t the first time you have had significant debts. Many people wouldn’t be able to cope with the pressure. Tell me about your approach to debt and when you take it on and when you don’t?

(My first big debt was) when I was 26. It was a family debt — I had an agreement to buy my ­family out of the business — (I needed) $8m-9m. I really wanted to do it, but with interest rates and tax it was going to take a long time (to pay back the loan), so I moved to Hong Kong to earn it. I had had a record year here (Hayes had just won the Melbourne Cup with Jeune in 1994), but I decided to go to Hong Kong, even though many people here couldn’t understand it. But I had an opportunity, and by going, I was investing in my core business.

Do you have the same appetite for risk in other investments?

No, not at all. I had an appetite for it and invested with friends. While they are still are friends — I am not very good at investing outside my business.

What have been your best and worst investments?

Best investment — my home in Toorak, while going to Hong Kong was a great investment in myself.

My worst was Western Desert mining shares, which went broke (it collapsed in 2014 as the iron ore price plummeted). And I invested as a seed investor in a fuel cell ­battery — like all venture capital projects it sounded good at the time but the pitch was better than the result. It never got off the ground.

Would you do it any differently if you had the chance?

I would just stick to what I know, and stick to nice conservative property plays.

What are your expectations for the Spring Racing Carnival?

Fingers crossed I’ve got good chances with Criterion in the Cox Plate and Rising Romance in the Caulfield Cup.

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:43am
where's subby, Hayes is his fav trainer isn't he..??

Panspermia.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:47am
Good on him. Wish them all the best.

They have been spending $500k+ on overseas horses over the last few years.  Cannot imagine how much they have dusted of their clients capital. BUT - he has a very good business model. These people just want the opportunity to race in the Cups & there are plenty willing to step up.  Also has the set up to make it work.
Michelleyu View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michelleyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:47pm
Geez there a few in here who need to eat some humble pie... all the knockers a few months back saying he was a gone burger...flyyyyyying...he is.FFFFFlying.Good on him very good trainer and good for the industry.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

where's subby, Hayes is his fav trainer isn't he..??

He is going super now. Doesn't change the fact I was right that the stable stunk for 3 or 4 years.
Happy as to back his horses now. He's a good guy and he deserves success, as hes clean.
Letskeepithonest View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Letskeepithonest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:23pm
He had to learn from the new property, but some were quick to write him off as a mug... class is permanent and he is class.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:33pm
And Dabernig's influence can't be understated.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:39pm
Unbelievable turn around of late - appears to have a midas touch & could really see this momentum continuing over the Spring Carnival.
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Letskeepithonest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:43pm
Could win the CC saturday
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:24pm

seems to be a big measure in their success, coincidence perhaps but have gone from busted to travelling since the partnership .Something that DH is struggling with I hear
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Letskeepithonest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

seems to be a big measure in their success, coincidence perhaps but have gone from busted to travelling since the partnership .Something that DH is struggling with I hear

So you can't pot him for not training winners so now you try to say there is tension in the partnership... get real, the guy has been with him for years.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:12am
I am not saying there is tension at all , what I have heard is that DH is very defensive regards anyone suggesting that Tom is the reason the stable has turned around its fortunes .He has been around for years as he married into the family however has only been co training with David for a couple of years .
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:33am
Tom is excellent. Very steady hand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>