Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bryce Stanaway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:00am

The 9.05 clip in his name. Went to the trainers room, not owners.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Sometimes no matter how peeved you might be with a situation you should always consider how your reactions will reflect on you.
Correct...remember that Federal labour goose a few years back that got up in parliament whingeing that his wife thought the lasagne (or something like that) wasn't up to scratch...went down like a lead balloon !
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:20am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Sometimes no matter how peeved you might be with a situation you should always consider how your reactions will reflect on you.
Correct...remember that Federal labour goose a few years back that got up in parliament whingeing that his wife thought the lasagne (or something like that) wasn't up to scratch...went down like a lead balloon !
Apologies...just found it...it wasn't lasagne. John Murphy, member for the NSW seat of Lowe, used the Federal House of Reps to complain about the portion size of "beef stroganoff" served to his wife in the parliamentary cafeteria !
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:31am
Was great to hear Bryce's side of the story, thought there must of been more to it than a sandwich.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:35am
The clip really is worth listening to & shows why the stewards acceded to his demand.
There were upwards of 50 in the trainers room with only one canteen lady trying but failing to cope & when she did come out with a plate of sangers, they went immediately.
He had horses in early & late so went to the CEO, politely (he stressed that Terry Baileys' advice has mellowed him) pointed out the facts witnessed by Brian Higgins, his strapper & 3 owners to which he was told "If you don't like it, take your horses & go home"
He's since had full support of other trainers with the same opinion of that particular CEO & pics sent to him of all the sandwich plates from trainers at Casterton. As he said, some clubs cater wonderfully for trainers, specifically Sale & Bendigo.
In stark contrast he said is the jockeys' room catering which is akin to a smorgasbord (I've seen this myself)
When asked about ATA support he said "They're too busy running around trying to help the 'cobalt' trainers - don't get me started on that, I might blow up" so Shane stepped in & reminded him he was live LOL
Really is worth a listen yourselves even if only for the entertainment value Big smile
http://rsn.net.au
Bryce Stanaway  9.05
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:38am
Originally posted by James Bond Esq James Bond Esq wrote:

Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

just heard on the radio that Bryce had a blew with someone over the sandwiches in the owners bar, so has taken all his horses out and gone home.  Nutcase.

sandwiches? what is going on? seriously!!!!

Maybe you can talk your old lady into applying for the Catering Manager job at Pakenham? Will at least be another free eating/drinking hole for you.
Sunline...simply supreme
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:01am
Good interview. What is the basis for Trainers expecting to be fed ? Is it the need to keep them away from Joe public during the day as is the case it would seem for Jockeys ? I don't buy his argument that because of the long hours he puts in he cannot feed himself. No different to many occupations. Different if it is a negotiated requirement...part of the deal to train & bring horses to the track. Not sure it is though.
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:16am
I've had dealings with the CEO of Pakenham over the years, more so when at the old track and he was a complete prick at times. Well done Bryce if you ask me!!!

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:23am
When you're stuck at the races all day, it's nice to be able to sit down somewhere quiet without Joe Public, Punter or even Owner (perhaps!), getting in your ear. The issue of payment is irrelevant, availability of food, beverage, privacy & a seat is not.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by pnclick pnclick wrote:

I've had dealings with the CEO of Pakenham over the years, more so when at the old track and he was a complete prick at times. Well done Bryce if you ask me!!!

I know Hodgey quite well and even raced a couple of Trotters with him years ago . He is a guy that doesn't tolerate fools and has a strong personality , and I can see him telling Stanaway to pack his truck up and go if he wasn't happy . Stanaway has a history of being a belligerent tosspot and to me he has tarnished racings brand yet again with his outspoken drivel . Needs to be held accountable for these actions in my opinion. There would have been better ways to handle this rather than throwing the toys out of the cot and acting so immature .
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:48pm
Having listened to the interview on RSN the first thing is that Bryce is certainly a character.

If everything went down as said then that CEO needs to pull his head in and Bryce was entitled to take offence.

The entertainment value kicks in when the ATA are mentioned.... 😂
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:48pm
Michael Hodge CEO of Pakenham interview is now up on the RSN website
Tuft_it_Tees View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:52pm
Sounds like a whole bunch of free-loaders got in ahead of him. It never ceases to amaze me, the people who come out of hollow logs to get sumthin' for nuthin'.  They can smell it a mile off !
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:03pm
Sounds like a clash of strong personalities. Regardless of how he might justify it I still disagree with Stanaway's actions.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:05pm
Another interview with Bryce from Melbourne's 3AW radio with Tony Jones

http://www.3aw.com.au/radio/horse-trainer-scratches-horses-after-being-denied-sandwiches-20150706-gi5s6x
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:07pm
I don't know whether chucking a tantrum like that is the hallmark of a "strong" personality. It is bloody pathetic, imo. I wonder what he does when confronted by a real problem.
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:11pm

Sounds like a clash of strong personalities. Regardless of how he might justify it I still disagree with Stanaway's actions.

As expected the ceo had a completely different take on the incident.

If he was in fact abusive toward the admin staff then that is not on and i would expect further action to take place.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:15pm
I would expect this in the playground between a bunch of 4 year old girls, but 2 grown men. Hopeless! Bot just as bad as each other.
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:52pm
Take a vegimite sanga to the races Bryce. How many other workplaces supply lunch. I think getting a sanga and coffee is a nice gesture by the clubs but shouldn't be a given. Even jockeys should take their own drinks and lunch.   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 1:53pm
I agree, it isn't a bloody soup kitchen !
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by spinner spinner wrote:

Take a vegimite sanga to the races Bryce. How many other workplaces supply lunch. I think getting a sanga and coffee is a nice gesture by the clubs but shouldn't be a given. Even jockeys should take their own drinks and lunch.   

Oh, I understand. I'm guessing that you also work seven days a week and when your canteen that always supplies sandwiches runs out, you are happy to go hungry given that you don't have the time to go driving around the neighbourhood looking for food. Or were you at home yesterday? Enjoying your lunch around that time?

Sometimes people need to take a stand no matter how trivial the matter may appear to others. Even if it only means that others won't have to put up with the perceived disdain that was dished out to Bryce in future.

Haven't listened to either interview and don't think it is necessary. Give the poor man his bloody sandwich and stop being a princess about it. CEOs should know better.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:14pm

What rot, the public doesn't get a free lunch, and they get treated with disdain all the time !

The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:21pm
"Short of the stewards standing on the back of the truck, there was nothing they could do to stop Mr Stanaway leaving" was Terry Bailey's comment during his RSN interview.
What about the stewards directing him not to leave the course. Isn't there a rule about obeying the directions of stewards? Or more likely this is damage control by the stewards to cover up a clear mistake by their panel. The stewards do not need to stand on trucks, just give orders.
And the CEO wants to learn a few lessons in how to treat the people supporting your course. Show some diplomacy and stop showing off in front of your office girls. Bully behaviour.
And Bryce Stanaway needs to look at his operation. He said two of them did 30 horses Sunday morning before going to the races. Nice place to get a horse trained if that is his level of professionalism. Is he another cheap no frills operator that does not have enough staff?
Each of the 3 groups have things to answer for.
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:23pm
The last time a man was denied something to eat a small town in Oregon was blown to bits.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 2:43pm
I'm not surprised they ran out of sandwiches at Pakenham, they race there every second day ! Thumbs Down
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:17pm
The sangers jokes have run their course i.e. cease to be funny - thanks.
MelbourneRacing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:25pm
You really should have used stale, Gay.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:31pm
A hit over-zealous hiding my post IMO. Could have just as easily edited one word out of it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuft_it_Tees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:33pm
Tip-Top suggestion to cease and desist from all merriment, this is serious ! LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 4:03pm
This from a fellow trainer:

This is worth a read

Brad Waters is a pretty reasonable type of guy I think and would have his story pretty straight.

I am using the article as an accurate guide to what truly happened.

On the face of it…it’s a pretty weird scenario….’trainer scratches over a dispute over sandwiches’

The article gives good background tho….and offers up a situation where a bloke stood up against a race club ‘bully’

I know the bloke .. Bryce …pretty well.

He isnt everyones cuppa tea..thats for sure… some would say he is as mad as a cut snake……but for the decade or more I have known him well….i would say he is a straight down the line bloke.

I mean he is the type of bloke who would do anything to help you if you broke down or got stuck….no worries about that.

I have to say…..i quite like the bloke….me and him always have a few jokes…..

As is said …he isnt everyones cuppa tea …but he is a good guy imo.

He calls everyone ‘shagger’ ..or ‘shaggy’ …..

So I swing it back…and that’s my name for him …..’Shagger’

And he is a bloke who stands by his convictions…he will not bend to just be palatable to ‘powers that be’….and I love that quality in a person.

He wont run with the wolves and hunt with the hounds……straight as a dye………..some would say he takes it a bit far sometimes and that’s maybe a fair call……but he is a good intentioned bloke.

But mad with it ..

I have noticed the ‘hand wringers’ around the traps all being disparaging towards him for sticking up ..

I am sure most of them don’t know the true story…..[assuming that article is true..and I believe it is]

I say good on him …and will tell him myself when I see him..

By the article his owner fully supported him ..i believe he was the main owner anyway in each horse that was scratched.

Bryce didn’t get out of bed at 4.30am …load up his truck with horses and drive all the way to Pakenham to scratch his horses…….

I am betting the story is 110% correct……

There are a lot of fantastic race club officials….and race club raceday staff who go out of their way to accommodate people….especially trainers.

Indeed ..i personally have some good friends who do those very jobs…….and you cant speak highly enough of them…you look forward to catching up with them at the races..

The other side of the coin is that there are those who are just arrogant flogs who think ‘they are the industry’ and for that day…it’s a ‘power trip’ for them.

They are the minority….but they are everywhere and they can ruin a raceday experience for many people…

I must say…I am looking forward to running into Shagger at a meeting soon [not that we have much by way of runners] and getting the guts of it

He is his own man….you have to admire him for that at least

He isnt everyones cuppa tea…..but he is mine..

I take my hat off to him for sticking to his guns and not rolling over…..

At least he can go to sleep at night knowing he was straight down the line and true to himself…….thats a good quality to have I reckon.

The raceday wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the owner/trainer/punter collective….all equally as important and inter reliant.That gets lost on these over zealous admin types……repeatedly

It will be interesting to see how this plays out…if the article is accurate as I expect it is…….i would be disgusted if the trainer was ‘fined’ and had to pay any more than a standard late scratch fee….

Stanaway protest not just about sandwiches  Brad Waters - 06 Jul 2015

A furious Bryce Stanaway says he scratched his horses from Sunday’s Pakenham meeting in protest against disrespectful treatment from the club’s chief executive.

A row erupted on Sunday when Stanaway withdrew three horses after an incident that started when he was unable to get a sandwich in the course’s owners and trainers’ lounge.

Stanaway appeared on RSN to put forward his side of the story on Monday morning, declaring it was the attitude of the Pakenham Racing Club’s chief executive Michael Hodge that prompted him to scratch his remaining runners.

"I went into the trainers’ room, not the winner’s room, and was expecting to have a coffee and a sandwich and a bit of relaxation before I had to go and saddle the next three (runners),” he said.

"There’s a poor woman there bringing out one plate of sandwiches to about 50 people and it was like vultures, all of the sandwiches were gone.

"I went politely, which is quite a shock for me, I’m actually starting to mellow out. I went and saw the CEO and I said, ‘for a trainer, there’s nothing left up there’ and all this.

"I’ve got witnesses, he went off his head at me and said, ‘scratch your horses and go home’. He actually told me to scratch my horses and go home.

"The final straw was the attitude of the CEO and the way he treated me. He did it in front of (jockey) Brian Higgins, a girl that works for me and two of my owners and he’s the one that asked me to scratch my horses and go home.”

Stanaway said the issue highlighted the difference between the treatment at racecourses of trainers and jockeys, who he said, "are fed like kings” despite having a lighter workload than the smaller trainers.

The Torquay-based trainer said he would do the same thing if he was treated the same way as he said he was at Pakenham on Sunday.

"I’d do it again. These clubs have got to show a little bit more respect for the people that work in the game,” Stanaway said.

Stanaway said the problem did not extend to all clubs with the likes of the Casterton, Bendigo and Sale clubs the best in Victoria for the treatment of trainers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>