Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bryce Stanaway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 11:01pm
Taking Crafty Cruiser along with a few of his other mates up to Wagga for 3800m on Sunday

9. Ventura Highway (3)     Ms Kayla Nisbet     54kg     Racing
     8. Letsgetsideways (NZ) (5)     Brendan Ward     54kg     Racing
     11. Knucklemanna (6)     Josh Richards     54kg     Racing
     13. Entirely Perfect (NZ) (7)     Simon Miller     54kg     Racing
     3. Crafty Cruiser (13)     Jeff Penza
This space has been intentionally left blank
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:46am
Poor old crafty, I recently met a part owner of Crafty and they want to retire him and Bryce refuses to.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm

One on one with trainer Bryce Stanaway

By James Lamb 3 hours ago

Torquay-based trainer Bryce Stanaway is not exactly shooting the lights out in terms of winners but it's fair to say he's one of racing's true characters.

Stanaway is a firm believer in the old adage 'honesty is the best policy', which has at times landed him in a bit of hot water with racing officials.

We caught up with straight-shooting Bryce to talk about slow horses, hard tracks, Racing Victoria, and the truth behind the infamous 'sandwichgate' saga at Pakenham racecourse.

BRYCE ON 'SANDWICHGATE'

In 2015, Stanaway was fined $2000 after scratching three of his runners over a dispute about sandwiches in the owners and trainers room at Pakenham. The incident attracted national media attention and led to countless gags at Stanaway's expense (guilty of a few here at Punters). 

Q: We'll get this one out of the way nice and early - what's your favourite sandwich?

I’m actually allergic to bread. That is the deadset, honest truth. I get as sick as a dog from gluten. If I have a piece of bread I’m no good.

Q: So what exactly happened that day at Pakenham?

The sandwiches weren’t actually for me - they were for the stablehands and other racing staff there. The doors to the owners and trainers room were wide-open and there was no one on the door, so the general public were just wandering in and helping themselves, just taking everything. I went down and calmly approached the CEO (Michael Hodge) to see if he could do something about it, because the stable staff were missing out, and they were the ones who deserved it. 

Anyway, I walk up to the CEO and the bloke fair dinkum attacks me! He's waving around his walkie talkie - I nearly wore the bloody thing! I had owners there and they couldn’t believe how calm I was. He (Hodge) told me to scratch my horses and go home. So I said, “alright, come with me to the stewards room then.” We start heading there and he puts his tail between his legs and bolts. I walk in and he was nowhere to be seen. I said to the stewards, “I don’t need this gelati and I don’t need to be treated like this."

So I took my horses out, loaded them on the truck and went home. People came forward. Four witnesses came forward saying they saw me get abused, but I still copped a $2000 fine. I get a letter from the stewards saying they had no evidence of me being told to scratch my horses and go home! One of the witnesses was a jockey, Brian Higgins. And I still got fined! It was all about how people were being treated, not the sandwiches.

Q: So have you and Michael Hodge patched things up then?

Nah, nah – he probably wouldn’t want to come near me at the races.

BRYCE ON FAST & SLOW HORSES

Q: Crafty Cruiser obviously holds a special place in your heart, but who is the fastest horse you've trained? Not necessarily the best, but the fastest on the track?

Electric Puha – it won over 1000m mate. I don't have many that do that. 

At the moment, I’ve got a horse called Who Shot Who (Bullet Train x Champagnat) that I named after a certain steward. I originally stuck in Who Shot The Steward but they didn’t give it to me. Then I stuck in Who Shot Terry and they wouldn’t give that to me either. So I went with Who Shot Who and I got that.

Anyway, the kid (Teo Nugent) got off this horse the other day (when Who Shot Who finished 6th over 1100m at Warrnambool on August 9) and said he couldn’t believe the toe it had. 

Q: If Electric Puha is the fastest, who is the slowest horse you've trained?

The slowest horse I’ve trained was a half-brother to Viewed. We nicknamed it Bart. I can’t remember its actual name – we didn’t want to remember its name. Beautiful big horse but just bloody slow. I bought it to be a jumper, and it jumped okay, but it was looking for 20 miles.

* Further investigation revealed the horse to be Sovereign of Haiti.

John Allen rode it for me in its last start at Seymour (in July 2015). He got off and said, “Bryce, this is the slowest horse I have ever ridden.”

BRYCE ON THE PUNT

Q: Do you punt?

I don’t mind having the odd bet. I’ve certainly never hooked a horse but I’ve sent plenty around that aren’t fit enough to win. When they are ready to go, I’ll have a bet.

Q: What's the best punting result you've had on one of yours? 

Best one I’ve ever had was a horse called Prince Vitality at Sandown a few years ago. It was a horse I bought off Graeme Rogerson. It raced at Flemington and Kingy (Steven King) got off – bloody good bloke Steven King, no hard feelings – and said, "I think this horse needs a spell Bryce." When I got home, my missus said to me, “Jesus, that horse didn’t even have a race – go and watch the replay."

So I watched the replay, and she was right - Kingy was pretty kind to him. So I worked him the next day and entered him in a race at Sandown a week later. I reckon I got about 40-1 and he gelati in!

BRYCE ON VICTORIAN RACING

Q: How do you think racing is travelling in Victoria? 

Where are our staying races in Victoria? If Racing Victoria aren’t very careful, New South Wales are just going to leave us behind – not only with The Everest – but with staying races too. Without the Melbourne Cup and the Cup carnival, our racing here isn’t that gelati-hot. Racing here has got too top-heavy. Money-wise, the bottom is starving. NSW are actually trying to cover both ends, it’s a credit to them.

Q: What's your favourite track in Victoria to race at?

It used to be Flemington until it became a road. You can’t be racing on a Good 3 in the middle of winter. I'm not surprised that Weiry's horse (Sixties Groove) is shin-sore. Jockeys keep saying how hard the track is, but it's falling on deaf ears. Other tracks are just as bad. There was a meeting at Bendigo last month (July 22) that should never have been held. 

* Five hurdle/steeplechase events were held at Bendigo on July 22, with 20 out of 48 runners either falling or failing to finish. The track was upgraded from a Soft 5 to a Good 4.

I went into the stewards room (at Bendigo) and dressed those bastards down. I thought I would’ve been charged with what I said to them. The track was like a skating rink and jockeys were coming in and saying that. They (the stewards) were gelatiting themselves because they knew I was in the right - that's why I didn't cop a fine. It cost me $660 to scratch three of my runners though. There was no way I was running them on that track. It meant I was out of pocket about $600 per horse that day, when you take into account transport costs as well.

The jockeys that came off that day looked like they'd done a round with the New Zealand Māoris in a pub brawl - some of my mates back home. I applied to have a meeting with the club but I still haven't had it. I might be waiting a while I reckon.

Q: What are your thoughts on synthetic tracks?

You only take a horse to the synth if it’s no good. Horses that have raced on the synthetic, I won’t buy them. When Bart Cummings tells you that they are no good, you listen. When he stopped running and training horses on synthetic surfaces, his breakdown rate dropped 50%. You have a look at how many horses go there and then don’t measure up on the turf after that.

Q: You mentioned Darren Weir before, what do you think about his dominance in Victoria?

Someone told me the other day that there are 15 trainers in Victoria pre-training for Darren Weir - that’s a bit of a joke. Is that good for racing? One stable is just getting bigger and bigger, while the bottom 50% are starvin'. I had to drive 5.5 hours to Wagga to find a suitable race for my horses the other day. 

Q: So why do you it?  

I love horses. I love being around horses. It's what I've always done. 

BRYCE ON HOBBIES

Q: What do you do when you're not training horses?

Having a rest. Racing takes up most of my life - I work seven days a week. So nothing really. 

BRYCE ON JOCKEYS

Q: Who is the best hoop in Australia? 

Hugh Bowman is the best jockey in Australia. 

Q: What about Victoria?  

Victoria... you'd be an Christmas pudding if you picked out just one. Damian Lane, Damien Oliver, Craig Williams - they are all professional horsemen. You could put the top 10 in a hat and any name you picked out, you'd be pretty happy with them riding your horse. 

BRYCE'S HORSE TO WATCH

Q: Can you leave us with a winner?

I've got a horse by Street Cry called Laheeb. If that's no good, I reckon I'll give up. It ran a huge race at Geelong (August 6) the other day - had no luck at all. 
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 3:55pm
Love the bit about Who Shot Who.   Pmsl
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:00pm
Great read Gay.
Not afraid to speak his mind.
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:06pm
Good read thanks
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm
Great work James Lamb.  Best trainer interview I have read seen or heard all year. 

Bryce can't eat sandwiches..Who would have thought it ? 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 11:01pm
Very enjoyable read
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 1:15am
Unreal read. Cheers for posting
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 4:34am
It was a great read.

Re Weiry- I know of 4 trainers just in my area that have had to resort to pre training for him. All successful stables that can’t get winners but have big stables to fill. It’s a concerning trend re his dominance & I don’t know where it’s going to lead us.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:24am
Really makes you wonder how many horses these blokes actually have. And how easily fooled owners are into thinking they are paying to have asked train their. Horses.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:25am
* to have Weir train their horses
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 4:15pm
Well done Bryce, you were generous with your time and thoughts, I hope it puts up a picket fence for you, 23s to 8s.....hope ya got plenty.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 4:35pm
Backed it just because of the naming ,
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

It was a great read.

Re Weiry- I know of 4 trainers just in my area that have had to resort to pre training for him. All successful stables that can’t get winners but have big stables to fill. It’s a concerning trend re his dominance & I don’t know where it’s going to lead us.

He's not doing too bad for a bloke with all those fines/suspensions.....caught with tubes/needles......aint life grand.
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 7:59pm
Who Shot Who was also his shortest distance winner ever, with Electric Puha, his only ever Sub 1099m winner winning over 1010m in 2005. So it's been 13 years since he had a winner over 1000m.

The other runner he mentioned at the end of the article, Laheeb, goes around in Race 1 at Warrnambool on Thursday.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 11:56am
Bryce has been ordered to front the stewards in relation to his interview above.
In particular the naming of Who Shot Who
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Bryce has been ordered to front the stewards in relation to his interview above.

Given this was front page news, I actually have no idea how this could get Bryce into trouble.

Possibly the criticism of the Bendigo track would be an issue. Although nobody batted an eyelid when weir got stuck into MV track.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Makes me love the bloke even more 👍👍👍
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 1:26pm
Wouldn't you think they could just pull him aside at the races and have a "quiet chat", no authority must be seen to all and sundry, not very professional imo.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:16pm
Maybe they want to explain the case pronoun rule to him,  and suggest he change it to Who Shot Whom.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:30pm
Is Danny Nicolic likely to provide support for Big Bryce? 
And just who's earlier cuckholed husband was allegedly involved in any shootout?  
And will they fine Bryce for straight talk about the disgraceful jumping surface at Bendigo?
And, most importantly, will his staff be able to secure on-course sustenance in his possible absence?

Even given Bryce's lack of tact it's a moving caravan of RVL Integrity Staff bullying behavior imho who might be better served performing as Liberal Party spill-numbes people.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:58pm
Bryce has a few good points, he just gets a little carried away.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
Old Mate Crafty will hit the million bucks today. Just needs to finish thevrace and he’ll make it. 4.15pm at Warrnambool
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Crafty Cruiser set to pass $1 million prizemoney if he runs at Warrnambool

In the 3021 days since Crafty Cruiser’s racetrack debut, Australia has had six different Prime Ministers and only one southern hemisphere-bred Melbourne Cup winner.

In the 143 starts since Bryce Stanaway’s stable star first earned a prizemoney cheque — $250 for finishing sixth behind Noetic at Sale on September 23, 2010 — Crafty Cruiser has been a rare constant in Australian racing.

On Monday, pending track and weather conditions, the 11-year-old will surpass $1 million in stakes.

Guaranteed a minimum $600 from the Warrnambool Football Netball Club Handicap (3100m), Stanaway’s flag-bearer will take his earnings to $1,000,341 if he runs.

“If he starts, he’ll go over the million,” Stanaway said. “He’d be the first horse I’ve ever had to get there.

“He’s been a fantastic horse but he’s still racing only because he wants to.

“There’s nothing wrong with the horse, so we’re not thinking about retirement. I’ve placed him well and his welfare is something I take very seriously.

“He loves doing what he does and, if everything is OK, he could have a crack at the Jericho Cup (4600m) again next year.”

With a winning range of 2300m-3100m, Crafty Cruiser earned $50,000 when he chased home High Mode in the inaugural Jericho on December 2.

Fanatical about track firmness, Stanaway will resist the temptation to take Crafty Cruiser to the ‘Bool unless conditions are suitable.

“Too many horses are breaking down because tracks are presented with punters in mind rather than horses,” Stanaway said.

“I’ve raised the issue of horse welfare many times with Racing Victoria. It’s something that needs to be looked at again because it’s so important.”

Jess Eaton, who claimed her first Melbourne Saturday winner at The Valley, takes the ride on Stanaway’s greybeard.

“He only has to go around to get the $1 million in prizemoney but I won’t do it unless the conditions are right,” Stanaway said.

“I put my horses’ welfare first.”

Crafty Cruiser has 13 victories, 21 seconds and 16 thirds to his name.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:59am
Rumours have swirled around for several months that cult stayer Crafty Cruiser had retired.

The veteran hadn’t run since December 31 and spells have been a rarity in the iron horse’s career so the rumours seemed to have credence.

Also, at his last start, when he finished sixth at Warrnambool and collected $600, which took his earnings over $1 million, there was a school of thought he’d done enough.

But trainer Bryce Stanaway said the thought of retirement had never crossed his mind.

On Friday at Geelong, the 11-year-old kicks off another campaign, which is likely to be his last, when he starts in the Benchmark 64 over 1540m.

Stanaway will again set him for the Warrnambool marathon, the $300,000 Jericho Cup over 4600m, a race he ran second in last year to High Mode.

Stanaway said Crafty Cruiser couldn't be in better condition.

“He’s flying,” Stanaway said. “He’s been acting like a spring chicken. I haven’t been able to get him in a jump-out so this is really a track gallop for him.”

Crafty Cruiser will be having his 146th start on Friday and will be ridden by Will Gordon.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:32pm
Crafty Cruiser raises the bat for start 150 today

Bryce suggests he has worked better than he ever has during the week fwiw
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
And that he hates wet tracks but needs the run Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 6:02pm
life in the old boy yet... super run from Crafty to finish 3rd at big odds.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:58pm
Stable on fire 😂

Flagship horse Crafty Cruiser was good running another 3rd yesterday at Mornington.

But getting 90 start maiden in Costano Mille to run 2nd in the Hotham at Ballarat today is an amazing feat. She’s almost exclusively raced in the 2000-2400m range, even a few hurdle starts.....dropped back to 1200m today, she runs 2nd and a $13.500 payday for Bryce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>