Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Toronado To Swettenham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:42pm
By Sean Cronin

5th-LLD, €18,000, Mdn, 4-29, unraced 2yo, 5 1/2fT, 1:13.63, gd.
BAYLAGAN (FR) (c, 2, Toronado {Ire}–Al Waghaa {Fr}, by Muhtathir {GB}) was sharply into stride and raced prominently from flagfall in this newcomers’ test. Joining the front rank at the top of the straight, the 51-10 chance came under pressure to gain a narrow advantage approaching the final furlong and kept on gamely under whipless rousting to deny Alissachope (Fr) (Kheleyf) by a short head in a bobbing finish, becoming the first winner for his Haras de Bouquetot-based freshman sire (by High Chaparral {Ire}). Kin to a yearling colt by Planteur (Ire), he is the first foal produced by Al Waghaa (Fr) (Muhtathir {GB}), who is a full-sister to the dual stakes-placed Maroon Machine (Ire), and a half-sister to the dual stakes-placed Place Vendome (Fr) (Dr Fong), who in turn is the dam of G1 Poule d’Essai des Poulains-winning sire Style Vendome (Fr) (Anabaa) and stakes-winning G1 Poule d’Essai des Poulains and G1 Criterium International placegetter Prestige Vendome (Fr) (Orpen). Sales history: €45,000 Ylg ’17 AROCT. Lifetime Record: 1-1-0-0, €9,000. Video, sponsored by Fasig-Tipton.
1ST-TIME STARTER. O-Al Shaqab Racing; B-Faisal bin Khalid Al Thani (FR); T-Simone Brogi.

reductio ad absurdum
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:15pm
Not much action thus far for this bloke in Europe   3 rnrs   1 wnr  on Continent

8 rnrs    1 wnr    & 16th on first seasons sire list in Eng/Ire

Is it yet too early to make an assessment
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:14am
Bought a little slice of one with Will Clarken, ex Al Nova (Al Samer, Carnegie).

I’ll just clear a bit of space in the trophy room.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:56am
LOL  Dream on .
animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:17am
all the best Red Hare. we have a two year in the stable who goes nice. should win her first very quickly . 2nd on debut....
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:48am
We now have an Excelebration, a Deep Field and a Toronado, all planned by breeding consultants. Fingers crossed at least one of them gets it right 😁 and maybe all
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:02pm
Prince of Sussex is a real nice horse.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Bought a little slice of one with Will Clarken, ex Al Nova (Al Samer, Carnegie).

I’ll just clear a bit of space in the trophy room.
First little pot hole on the road to glory... he's a rig. Fairly certain Will is still eager to cut, but they'll probably survive his first prep - or at least until the trainer has divested his own interest. For now, he's been sent to Krystal Bishop to learn a few manners.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:05am
Starting to hit his straps, I hear there are a few to come yet as 3yos ,he will have a serious horse from his first crop IMHO.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:58am
I would have to agree with you Goldey. He had so many nice 3YO miler types in the Yearling sales that some of them just have to be good. How many will be good? We'll have to wait and see
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 5:07pm
Noblet trained filly Backpedal just streeted them at B/rat, albeit on the syntho, breaking the 1100m record. Eased down too Clap
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:48pm
I have her in my 2018 yearling comp 😊
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:59pm
Thumbs Up
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 8:47pm
We own a couple of whiskers of a Toronado filly, starting to get excited. 🙏
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
gonski gonski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonski gonski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 12:05am
Times are getting faster as the track settles.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 10:21am
Great find Goldey.  Hope it eventually keeps up your good record with the Everest! 
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 11:49am
Thousand Guineas would be just dandy, Gay, have put on a couple of dollars each way when she was named and found a certain owner involved who seems to have the Midas touch.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 11:51am
Nice yearling shot showing on Racenet also.  The Toronado's I've followed haven't started yet so I'm hoping they have some ability.  The Shooting to Win yesterday I've got marked.  They are also coming out and showing good form.  It's nice to see the young middle distance types getting going also.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:35am
Is he losing interest in "the great pastime" this season? Anyone know
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Prince of Sussex is a real nice horse.
Now known as Lucky Express in HK. Has had four trials, so must be getting close to a race start.

Moreira rode all four, winning two and running on strong in the other two from wide draws.

I think Matt Laurie is pretty capable as a trainer. At least, from a punting perspective. No way known would I be able to say no to a $1.75m offer, but this fella looks pretty capable of pocketing that sort of money on the track - in either jurisdiction.

His older half sister Algadon Miss, by Equiano, is an above average mare with just short of $300k to her name. Plus, there is a yearling full sister to come.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Is he losing interest in "the great pastime" this season? Anyone know
Covered 197 mares.

I suppose it might get a bit vanilla once you clear 175. LOL
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:09pm
He's won the longevity battle against Olympic Glory & Dawn Approach, though it's certainly tougher to make it in the Hunter...mind you, the other two went backwards in service fee from the outset and Toronado has just had his biggest year off an increase.

Does anyone have an opinion (better yet, analysis) of the mares that he's serviced? How do they compare to his since-departed contemporaries?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:29pm
He received a far better book than Dawn Approach which was always a hard sell in Oz.  Mind you DA had five stakes winners from two crops in 2019 the moment they rightly kept him home, and reckon he'll get a few more from his remaining crops if they don't push his stock too early.  

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 1:07pm
Cheers SC. Do you have the numbers (group winners, group producers, etc) at hand, or just a gut feel?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 2:49pm
Don't have a list RH, though believe his books can be downloaded from somewhere (the Stud Book?).

Was just going by what Adam said to me and others about his first book, which hopefully was more than marketing.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:41pm
Fair enough. Thanks mate.

They're in the Stud Book, but unless you know them by name it's a good 3-4 hours of clicking through links... i.e. where a hobby becomes a chore.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:07pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
Good info Gay, but more about him and the crops. I'm interested in the mares.

I'll put something together. 

Unraced
Metro winner
Blacktype winner
Group winner
Group 1 winner

First season mare
Progeny winning ratio when served (i.e. two winners from four of racing age)
Blacktype producer
Group producer
Group 1 producer

??? Something to fill the gap where the mare has nothing but her family to bring to the table - i.e. The Broken Shore, Ten Carat Rock or Lago Ovation.

Could yet do a Chautauqua here...
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:25pm
For all stallions after 3 seasons of runners the stats that tell the story quite bluntly are;
1) runners to foals ratio
2)winners: runners
3) A.E.I.Index & APEX ratings
4) S.Wnrs to rnrs ratio

Hence Stallions such as Fighting Sun, Fiorente, Sizzling, Eurozone & Akeed Mofeed all nned a very good 6 months ahead or no amount of advertising will have them in the upper echelon of their respective year
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:51am
Got the winner of the Tasmanian Oaks the other day, for Bill Ryan.   Have a look at her race record.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>