Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Toronado To Swettenham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toronado To Swettenham
    Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:29am
True Class Comes to Victoria
Tara Madgwick - Wednesday, 3 June 2015
European Group I feature mile races produce some of the best turf performers on the planet each year with this superstar of 2013/2014 headed to Australia for the first time this spring.

The loss of outstanding sire High Chaparral (IRE) has been highlighted this season with eight Australian stakes-winners sired by the Epsom Derby winner headed by Group I winners Contributer and Fenway as well as potential spring stars Alpine Eagle, Hi World and the Queensland Derby contender Sadler’s Lake, so it’s little wonder Swettenham Stud were quick to add his very best European son Toronado (IRE) to their roster for 2015.

Toronado
Toronado
like so many of the best Australasian bred progeny of High Chaparral, Toronado had an electric turn of foot and was best placed at a mile claiming the crown of Joint Champion 3YO Miler in Europe for 2013.

A brilliant unbeaten juvenile, who won each of his three starts at two highlighted by a win in the Group II Champagne Stakes at Doncaster, the Richard Hannon trained colt returned at three to contest all the very best mile races.

Fourth in the Group I English 2,000 Guineas to Dawn Approach and then a short head second to the same colt at Royal Ascot in the Group I St James’s Palace Stakes, Toronado turned the tables on his arch rival to score a memorable win in the Group I Sussex Strakes at Goodwood with another high class older miler in Declaration of War some two and a half lengths back in third place.

Returning at four, Toronado captured the Group I Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot beating the highly rated US bred More Than Ready stallion Verrazano comfortably by three-quarters of a length and then finished second to a couple of high class three year-old colts in Kingman and Charm Spirit in the Group I Sussex Stakes at Goodwood and Group I Prix du Moulin de Longchamp.

Toronado retired with six wins and three seconds from just 12 starts and is currently covering his first book of mares at the National Stud at Newmarket.

High Chaparral
High Chaparral
The first son of High Chaparral to stand in Victoria, Toronado has been priced competitively at $22,000 for a stallion with his imposing race record and comes from an intriguing Black Type female family that is not unfamiliar to Australian breeders.

A two time winner in France by US speed sire Grand Slam, his dam Wana Doo is from stakes-winner Wedding Gift, who is a half-sister to the very good broodmare Black Tokk (Fr), who found her way to Australia in 1987.

Black Tokk left Group I SAJC Goodwood Handicap winner French Clock and stakes-winner Dream About It, the grand-dam of dual Group I winner and $1.6 million earner Heart of Dreams and Group III winner Rightfully Yours.

Other notable Aussie horses in the pedigree are Group III winners Red Typhoon and Fast Future as well as stakes-winner Ladybird Blue, who was also from Black Tokk.

The success of this female family in Australia under our unique conditions, coupled with the achievements of High Chaparral in this part of the world make it hard not to think Toronado is the ideal prospect to continue the success of the Sadler’s Wells sire dynasty which has proven so dominant right around the world in recent years.

Sadler’s Wells sire sons Galileo and Montjeu have both proven themselves capable of siring Group I producing sires, while his US based son El Prado has given us Medaglia D’Oro, the sire of this year’s Golden Slipper winner Vancouver.

High Chaparral now has several of his best sons at stud and is poised to follow suit as a sire of sires with Toronado offering Victorian breeders an outstanding opportunity to access one of the best sirelines in the world today at Swettenham Stud.

Blessed with the good looks that have made the progeny of his sire so popular, both on the racetrack and in the sale ring, Toronado is ready to pick up right where High Chaparral left off.

We’ll leave the last word on Toronado to respected English agent John Warren, who has become a regular at Australian yearling sales.

"Toronado is a magnificent correct individual with tremendous muscle definition which is why he was such a fast horse. He is the fastest and most precocious son of High Chaparral and his 2yo winning dam is by the brilliantly fast dual Gr.1 winning 2yo Grand Slam (Gone West). He looks the perfect horse for Australia with the combination of his pedigree, powerful physique and high class performances.”

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Dec 2017 at 12:41pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:56pm
Do like this boy. I am sure he will make it. 
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 7:45am
He's a ripping type. Saw him in Newmarket last month. He should leave a good sort for a start.
Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by brogers brogers wrote:

He's a ripping type. Saw him in Newmarket last month. He should leave a good sort for a start.

Totally agree. Also raced against what was a very good crop in Dawn Approach, Verrazano, Kingman etc.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 3:54pm
< ="" ="modal-btn modal- js-" style="font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: ; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px; height: auto; : ; right: -30px; top: 9px; width: 20px; -: initial; -attachment: initial; -size: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; -: initial; -repeat: initial;">
Close
Previous
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 5:34pm
Like him also.

But balked at booking into him at $22k solely on the basis that his dam's only other winning progeny was successful in a lowly Maiden Steeple in Italy.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 6:14pm
I wouldn't worry too much Second Chance.  I hark back to Star Kingdom.  Nothing close to him but a wonderful female line back past the 5th generation.

We don't have to go back that far here to find Vaguely Noble.  Another a bit further is Pandour who was a pretty good stallion out here.

You can't make female line class appear out of nowhere but it can go to sleep for a few generations sometimes.  But if you get a good one he has got the good genes on offer and hopefully will pass those on.
Slipper View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 9:45pm
I love this horse! I'm just sorry I don't have $22k.
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:35am
he looks great

bit of a grimace reading that gone west is good for australia... either im heavily biased but I cant think of many sires with gone west who have done well out here? Might be one or two.. but he wouldn't be a spruik aspect for me

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by troppo75 troppo75 wrote:

he looks great

bit of a grimace reading that gone west is good for australia... either im heavily biased but I cant think of many sires with gone west who have done well out here? Might be one or two.. but he wouldn't be a spruik aspect for me

West Quest formally from Armidale is Tassie, he did a phenomenal job considering he never got to have the cream of the crop mares:RIP
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
Hello,
I noted that Toronado is from the same damline as Lombard (by Agio), bred and raced in Germany. hje ran until as 7 year old and was germ,any first "Galloping Millionaire". Unfortunatelxy he wasn't a great Sire, but his claim to fame he is the Sire of Allegretta.

Therefore I did a Hypomating Toronado (High Chapparal)/Lombard (Agio):
within 6 Generations they share Sdalers Wells, Mr. Prospector, ND, Nativer Dancer + 6x7 Belle Sauvage + HB Relko/Reliance

An interesting Feature in the ped of Sassafras (damline Toronado),
Barley Corn is bred 3x3 Serenissima.

As already mentioned Vaguely Noble is from the same damline, as
RB Chesne, Lead on Time, Paddy Return. Vaguely Noble sons are Ace of Aces, Empery, Gay Menece, Gonzales, Missisipian, Royal and Regal and Terreno, exported to NZ, just to name a few. Not to Forget his fillies Nobiliarity, Jet Ski Lady and of course Dahlia and her Sons.

regards, Ticino

Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:23pm
[URL= ][/URL]
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 4:31pm
Apologies. Tried to post a photo of this equine god and stuffed it completely. Apparently they took a stack of orders after he paraded
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 2:00am
He looks unstoppable. I've got no skin in the game, but blind freddy could see what they've got here. I bet when he got off the float & had a look around the place, the staff at Swettenham must've felt like a footy club and the reincarnation of Tony Lockett just walked through the door.
Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:42pm
Very good value at the fee. This guy was an absolute superstar on the track. Hope he gets some big books and is back for many years to come. He is a big plus for Victoria. All class
StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 1:47pm
Did anyone send a mare to this fellow? Looking at photos of his foals they look incredible types... had a weanling in the northern hemisphere sell for over $300k the other day. Tempting proposition....
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 2:50pm
Kristen Manning is pretty fastidious re matings & her group sent The French House, now positive, to him Smile
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:39am
Keep The Faith mares (presumably local to Swettenham's area) would duplicate Carduel through 3/4 siblings Always Fair & Duelling Girl... the cruel irony is that they might not be in the $22k price bracket.

Distance between stock might've gotten in the way of High Chap/Sunday Silence crosses, that & the possibility that they just didn't suit on type.... surely Swettenham would try?
StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 7:23pm
Wonder if that's a reason they were attracted to standing Trust in a Gust? Being by Keep The Faith, and having Storm Cat, an 8c family member that Family 1 seems to respond to... from looking at my mares family anyway lol..
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
Roidz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:23pm
Friends of mine have a Toronado colt. Ripper foal with a lot of presence and attitude. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:39pm
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 7:39pm
Kristen Manning has a lovely The French House filly foal which is a wonderful match Big smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:34pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm
Will no doubt be shown the error of my ways quick smart, but can't quite see what a breeding consultant like KM would see in the Toronado - The French House match.  Confused

ps  the above photo of Toronado does him no justice whatsoever.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:08pm
Is sweetenhams stallion EQUIANO a flop? i see quite few around, need soft going as a rule. doesnt seem to be throwing many good ones.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
Unnamed  
Toronado (IRE)
Bay 2010
High Chaparral
Bay 1999
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Kasora
Brown 1993
Darshaan
Brown 1981
Shirley Heights
Delsy
1-l
13-c
Kozana
Brown 1982
Kris
Koblenza
2-o
1-n
Wana Doo
Bay 2000
Grand Slam
Bay or brown 1995
Gone West
Bay 1984
Mr Prospector
Secrettame
13-c
2-f
Bright Candles
Chestnut 1987
El Gran Senor
Christmas Bonus
8-f
9-c
Wedding Gift
Bay or brown 1993
Always Fair
Bay 1985
Danzig
Carduel
7-a
19-b
Such Style
Bay 1977
Sassafras
Regal Lady
8-c
1-d
The French House (AUS)
Bay 2011
Dylan Thomas
Bay 2003
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Lagrion
Chestnut 1989
Diesis
Chestnut 1980
Sharpen Up
Doubly Sure
5-i
2-o
Wrap It Up
Chestnut 1979
Mount Hagen
Doc Nan
1-p
9-c
Deraismes
Brown 2003
Grand Lodge
Chestnut 1991
Chief's Crown
Bay 1982
Danzig
Six Crowns
7-a
23-b
La Papagena
Bay or brown 1983
Habitat
Magic Flute
4-r
14-b
Assertive Lady
Bay or brown 1993
Assert
Bay 1979
Be My Guest
Irish Bird
8-c
8-c
Cairene
Bay 1982
Artaius
Jem Jen
14-c
14-c
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 5m Danzig5m x 4m,5m
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Will no doubt be shown the error of my ways quick smart, but can't quite see what a breeding consultant like KM would see in the Toronado - The French House match.  Confused  

Thanks for the pedigree chart Djebel  Thumbs Up, one which would appear to support my reservations.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Is sweetenhams stallion EQUIANO a flop? i see quite few around, need soft going as a rule. doesnt seem to be throwing many good ones.

Pretty avg. I am sure he hasnt returned?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:30pm
Why are we talking about Equiano?
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Pretty avg. I am sure he hasnt returned?

not sure, you could be right though. yeah...pretty avg i think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>