Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Toronado To Swettenham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toronado To Swettenham
    Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 10:45pm
And High Chapp. son Tivaci got Gai's Darley Stks G1 winner Never Been kissed Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 7:08pm
What a great 24 hours for Toronado.

The real Master Montaro put it all together in HK for a very impressive win last night. Then today with Masked Crusader and Still a Star winning Gp2 races at Randwick and Flemington. Going beautifully is Toronado.

And more broadly, the great High Chaparral keeps stamping his legacy here every Saturday. As well as the Toronado's above, So You Think's Think It Over wins a $1M Gp2, Tivaci gets his 1st Gp1 with Never Been Kissed in a Randwick Classic, and Dundeel got nosed out of the Gp1 Metrop with Entente. The Contributer's are going well too.

All distances, all tracks, High Chaparral has been such a boon for our racing in Oz. An ever growing legacy.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 6:34pm
Great call 3 1/2 years ago Daraabah.  Clap
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Daraabah Daraabah wrote:

I just LOVE the Toronado ex She's Got Gears colt Hawkes got at Premier $340k...CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO..

.......win The Everest?????
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 6:10pm
Thanks Gay.  Great stuff, great read!  Thumbs Up
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 6:03pm
I love these stories of hope & success from such small beginnings Clap

Kristen Manning

I remember the moment, back in 2005 with Gavin Beever, when a filly from the final crop of Grand Lodge came out of her box at the Inglis Easter Yearling Sale - love at first sight! She had it all; scope, strength and presence. There was just something about her and I remember her getting cranky when put back into her box - her handler commenting that she was at her happiest when being the centre of attention.
Was lucky enough to be able to take a wee share of this gorgeous girl who was bred by friends Tim & Brian Kelly who raced her dam Assertive Lady to a Listed win with the legendary C.S Hayes - and luckier still to be able to name her - Maria Deraismes, the famed French feminist, the first female leader of a Grand Lodge.
We had so much fun with Deraismes; from her five length maiden win at Wodonga (I was the only owner there but I think I cheered enough for all - thanks for the lift Adrian Fox) to her two Sandown victories and her Listed placing at her final start in the Caloundra Cup; Glen Boss noting that it was the heaviest track he had ridden on - she was tough!
Sold back to her breeders, Deraismes visited the gorgeous Dylan Thomas who we had the fortune of seeing race in Hong Kong. Sadly her first foal did not last a day her second was a pretty though not particularly imposing filly.
For a couple of decades now a group of racing and breeding enthusiasts have met monthly to have a yarn over a meal and the discuss all things pedigree. The Kellys are our hosts and one night mentioned that we should take a share in Deraismes' first daughter.
We visited Merlin Park on a cold, dark day. Our first impression was - well, she is ok, a little on the small side. But then, as a storm began to brew, as thunder rolled, the filly got a bit spooked and started to run. And wow could she run - Vin and I looked at each other and smiled; that movement, wow!
Once again I enjoyed the privilege of naming - a bit of research showed that Dylan Thomas once got so drunk at his favourite Soho haunt that he left his original Under Milk Wood under a chair. That pub? The French House.
One of our 'what might have been' horses - so much natural ability, a beautiful long action - she could really cover ground. Two very unlucky fifths in stakes company after her maiden win; Australasian Oaks bound with her form lines hold in up, but my Flemington jinx kicked in during the lead-up and she incurred a tendon injury at just her eighth start.
Entered for a mixed sale at Oaklands in 2016, The French House did not attract much attention. We were not really in the market for a new mare but we had so much faith in her ability - and for a mere $1400 she was our's!
A few great friends came aboard and the pedigree research began - oh if only we could afford Swettenham Stud's handsome boy Toronado; perfect on paper and in the flesh. Crosses of five great mares within seven generations - Natalma, Doubly Sure, Mixed Marriage, Relance and Somethingroyal; I drooled!
Adam Sangster and Sam Matthews came to the party, arranging a foal share with Toronado's owner. A surprise package arrived in the spring of 2017 - the two bay parents producing a bright chestnut filly covered in bling. We called her Maisie and then Auclert - a contemporary of Maria Deraismes. She ran third at her first start and we were delighted; things have not gone right since but still we hope!
A year later her full brother arrived - and he was more what we expected. A handsome bay with a look of mum and dad. Well raised by Neville Murdoch and his wonderful team at Larneuk Stud, Fergus (named after a character in one of my favourite book series Outlander) was never very big or eye-catchingly strong but there was something about him.
Paul Dugan thought so too when perusing photos in search of a Toronado - having raced the classy Prince Of Sussex he was keen for another crack at the breed. We were in lockdown one when he rang, straight away I thought I'd be very happy to race a horse with this guy - and thankful that he allowed the breeders to stay in.
Happy to with his choice of trainer - Matt Laurie - and the ride since has been mostly smooth, though at his first jumpout Fergus (now named Chartres) went one stride and that was it! Fortunately it has been all up from there and we were so proud when he ran so well at his Cranbourne debut a couple of weeks ago. Came home that night and poured over the calendar and saw a likely race at Sale; started to plan a weekend away.
Of course however we could not be at Sale today. But boy did we scream as our little Fergus strode up to the leader into the straight and put his gorgeous nose in front. Our neighbours are wondering what the noise was, why we were sitting on our front porch drinking champagne on an average winter Sunday.
A big thank you to the many well-wishers on phone, email and social media - you have all made the thrill an even bigger one!
And THANK YOU to Neville and his great team at Larneuk Stud, to Swettenham Stud - Adam Sangster and Sam Matthews for arranging a visit to a stallion we couldn't afford - to Daniel Brash for looking after our boy during his yearling prep (and congrats on the first winner through your system!) - to Brian & Tim Kelly, to our fellow owners of The French House and all the people in Chartres who we haven't even met yet. And thanks Ethan Brown - that's three of our home-bred winners now! And of course Matt Laurie and his stable; our boy's lovely track rider and strapper Bec who looked to be a little teary on the tele ??
Sorry for the big read on the back of a maiden, but gotta celebrate somehow! Our first home-bred 2Y0 winner, our first third generation winner. Love you Fergus!

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:46pm
Yes .   Tail and whiskers all present and accounted for Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

He is a cracker,  have loved him for a long time now,   and his whiskers are not plucked out, which should please one or two here on TBV.LOL

Full tail as well.LOL
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:35pm
What a stunning looking boy
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 11:00pm
He is a cracker,  have loved him for a long time now,   and his whiskers are not plucked out, which should please one or two here on TBV.LOL

animals before people.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 10:21pm
Have used this boy a few times and going again. He is a far better looker than his dad as is Frosted funnily enough. When one is afforded the opportunity to use the fastest sons of champion stallions with better conformation to boot, then one should. IMHO 
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 7:02pm
I love his rich colour also with those three white feet and the High Chaparral head and stance makes for a good looking boy.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:56pm
Lovely head on him.  Even the above shot doesn't do him justice.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:46pm
I love Toronado. What a good looking horse.
Time is a flat circle
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:42pm
No wonder his stock have such fabulous heads Heart

A plane carrying some of the world's most valuable thoroughbred stallions jetted into Melbourne on Saturday night ahead of the 2021 breeding season.

International Racehorse Transport was charged with bringing the elite load of horses into the country from Europe.  

Among the shuttle stallions on the flight was Toronado, who will stand his sixth season in the southern hemisphere at Victoria's Swettenham Stud.

After a brilliant 12 months, during which he sired seven Australian Stakes winners including Group 1 star Masked Crusader, demand for Toronado has been unprecedented, with Swettenham confirming his book of mares had already reached capacity. 

Toronado's CV was boosted even further on Saturday night when his five-year-old son Tribhuvan won the Grade 1 United Nations Stakes (2200m) at Monmouth Park in the USA.

Edited by Gay3 - 18 Jul 2021 at 6:44pm
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 1:21pm
2020 was awkward for the middle market, so they’d be hoping that a good chunk of that missed revenue is still on the table. He’s firmly in the sprint-milers sandbox now, so a 30% increase wouldn’t be out of the question. $38,500 would be my guess... possibly $44,000 if there’s pressure from the NH.

They would be hoping that dropping the bottom third from his book translates to his sales results, thus raising the avg to $120-150k. 
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Stood for an advertised $27,500 last season.  Most expensive was Brazen Beau at $49,500.

Toronado will surely go up to $33k in 2021 with BB significantly less than the above imho.

Fee increase confirmed by Sangster via Racing.com. No number as yet, but the intention is to cover a smaller book. Aiming for 120 in foal, so probably 150ish.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 7:45am
ahh i see Masked Crusader won a group one on Friday night. Cheers
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 10:00pm
Toronado (IRE) 2010
while in Australia this horse is deemed to be born in 2009 season
 Life Number: IRE45156781bay stallionDate of Birth: 20/02/2010 
 Microchip Number: 9851010451567816 stakeswinners & 10 stakeswinsDNA Typed: Y 
 by High Chaparral (IRE) 1998Contact: Swettenham Stud 
 from Wana Doo (USA) 2000Exported to France on 16 Dec 2020Ph: 03 57942044  
 bred by Paul Nataf2020 advertised service fee: $27500 
Stakes Winning Progeny
WinnerYearRace Name That YearStatus
Affair To Remember (AUS) 20162020VRC Matriarch Stakes2
Masked Crusader (AUS) 20162021ATC Southern Cross Stakes3
Shelby Cobra (AUS) 20172020VRC Amanda Elliott HandicapL
Solaia (AUS) 20172021WATC Challenge StakesL
Still A Star (AUS) 20162021TTC Vamos Stakes3
2020TTC Tasmanian OaksL
2020TRC Launceston GuineasL
2020TRC Strutt StakesL
2020TTC Tasmanian GuineasL
Tactical (GB ) 20182020GB July Stakes2
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
are the group one winners overseas?
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
ok. my research is shyte . LOL Cheers 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:34pm
3rd season sires:

-4-3-2-1 StallionCtryStud FeeWnrsSWinsG1SWAUS$Top Earner, Season EarningsAEIStartersAEI

----1Hallowed Crown (AUS), 2011, by Street Sense 65/321/11/05,800,275 Colette, $4,395,5754.101202.60
----2Deep Field (AUS), 2010, by Northern Meteor 189/864/72/15,479,641 Portland Sky, $528,0751.334111.21
----3Toronado (IRE), 2010, by High Chaparral 140/615/73/14,331,570 Masked Crusader, $471,0001.412621.37
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
Not sure I get it Second Chance. from what i read he has had in Australia 354 runners for 6 stakes winners ? no group one winners, 2 group 2 winners and 2 group 3 winners. at an A.E.I. of around $43 grand. gets plenty of winners but to me overpriced. happy to be told differently. Cheers Slowdown. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 5:42pm
Stood for an advertised $27,500 last season.  Most expensive was Brazen Beau at $49,500.

Toronado will surely go up to $33k in 2021 with BB significantly less than the above imho.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 5:25pm
Good weekend for the Swettenham shuttler as Laverrod finally breaks through at listed level.

Stakes winner #6 for the season.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:44pm
Group 1 #1 for Toronado with Masked Crusader. 

Peach of a ride from the Wiz.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Gets a Group 2 with Affair To Remember Clap

Didn't pass the vets for ASM nor did she get a run either but Dan took her to B/rat vets as he too wasn't happy with her action.
Nothing came to light so a bone scan was opted for which entails a totally locked down isolation box post nuclear injection for 24hrs.
However she panics without company & tried to climb out multiple times, managing to catch a foot on a very high ledge which removed the shoe & both heel bulbs so badly it looks like early retirent for her
Cry Dan was interviewed at Terang today.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:31pm

Toronado's Still A Star Makes Triumphant Return in Vamos Stakes

Mark Smith - Wednesday February 24

All roads lead to Moonee Valley for the $5million All-Star Mile for Still A Star after the four-year-old daughter of Tornoado (IRE) came off a 363 day break to win Wedneday’s $150,000 Group III Armidale Stud Vamos Stakes (1400m) at Launceston.

Brendon Mc Coull gave the Bill Ryan-trained mare a sweet ride following the leader Deroche (Needs Further) until well into the straight before pouncing at the 200 metres to win by three-quarters of a length. 

Runaway Girl (Sebring) was a length back in third.

Ryan said it was a relief to get Still a Star back to the track.

“It’s been a bloody long year. She’s back, her star is still shining and it has been worth the wait, Ryan said.

“She was going to Melbourne last spring and she got a lung infection and I had to turn her out. Then we got her ready for the Bow mistress (Stakes) and she got another respiratory infection, then we had to beat that.

“I was very confident. She had to do a bit of buffering, but once she got out it was all over.”

Still A Star was making her return to the track for the first time since reeling off wins in the Listed Tasmanian Guineas, Launceston Guineas, Strutt Stakes and Listed Tasmanian Oaks.

Still A Star - $13,000 well spent at the 2018 Tasmanian Magic Millions

Still A Star - $13,000 well spent at the 2018 Tasmanian Magic Millions

A $13,000 purchase by Monica Ryan out of the Alva Stud draft at the 2018 Magic Millions Tasmanian Yearling Sale, Still A Star advances her record to eight wins and five seconds from 13 starts with earnings of $501,190.

The daughter of Toronado (IRE) is out of the Brisbane winning Casino Prince mare Lita, who is a daughter of the top-class Stravinsky mare Royal Asscher the winner of the Group III MVRC Red Anchor Stakes, Listed VRC Ottawa Stakes and Listed MRC William Crockett Stakes and was third in the Magic Millions 2yo Classic.

Purchased by Alva Stud for $20,000 at the 2015 Inglis Australian Broodmare Sale, Lita missed to Alpine Eagle in 2018 and foaled a colt by Spendthrift Farm’s Bolt D'Oro (USA) last spring.

Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

It's been a good day for Toronado.

His stakes winners only come in pairs this season! 

Another good day - Masked Crusader wins the G3 Southern Cross at Randwick and Solaia the listed Challenge Stakes at Ascot. Both have looked capable for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>