Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Feelgood Stories - Animal Related Only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:00pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:06pm

Loyal blue heeler stays with three-year-old lost in bush overnight

Updated about an hour ago

An old blue heeler named Max remained by the side of a three-year-old girl and led searchers to her after she spent more than 15 hours lost in rugged bushland on Queensland's Southern Downs overnight.

Aurora was reported missing about 3:00pm yesterday after she wandered off on her own, but a search of woodlands and hills on the rural property in wet weather last night found no trace of her.

This morning, more than 100 State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers, police and members of the public resumed the search and found the girl safe and well with Max the dog at 8:00am.

For his good work in keeping the little girl safe, Max has now been declared an honorary police dog.

Kelly Benston, the partner of Leisa Bennett, who is Aurora's grandmother, said Ms Bennett and other searchers heard the little girl faintly from the top of a mountain this morning.

"She found the dog first. Max led her to Aurora," Mr Benston said.

"Max is 17 years old, deaf and partially blind."

SES area controller Ian Phipps confirmed a family member spotted Aurora and Max about two kilometres from the house, still on the family property at Cherry Gulley, 30 kilometres south of Warwick.

"The area around the house is quite mountainous and is very inhospitable terrain to go walking in, so she'd travelled quite a distance with her dog that was quite loyal to her," he said.

"The search was actually quite hard where the volunteers and the police were, amongst the very steep slopes full of lantana and other vegetation."

Ms Bennett said she tracked her down after the three-year-old responded to her shouting.

"When I heard her yell 'Grammy' I knew it was her," she said.

"I shot up the mountain ... and when I got to the top, the dog came to me and led me straight to her.

"He never left her sight. She smelled of dog, she slept with the dog."

Ms Bennett said it was an emotional reunion with "a lot of tears".

"I think [Aurora] was a bit overwhelmed by the tears and the howling, but I explained to her how happy those tears were," she said.

"It could have gone any of 100 ways, but she's here, she's alive, she's well and it's a great outcome for our family."

Mr Phipps said Aurora suffered minor cuts and abrasions but was otherwise well and it was a wonderful outcome for the family and searchers.

"With the weather last night it's quite lucky she is well because it was cold, it was cold and raining," he said.

"She's a very hardy young lass to survive that without any ill effects and everyone, all the volunteers are extremely happy.

"They had travelled from all over the region just to do the search and that's one of the things they join the SES for is to look after the community and do these activities ... and bring happiness to a family.

"There was a little bit of dread going into it with a cold night last night, but to get such a positive outcome the volunteers are very happy, and will be tucking into a bacon and egg sandwich very shortly."

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:58pm
So who says animals dont twig,,,dont know whats going on,,,
animals before people.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:03am
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:02pm
From acacia alba Smile

Anzac mystery and a horse-torian's decades-long search for WWI hero Dipso

By Hannah Walmsley

Australians paused this week as part of Anzac Day commemorations to remember and honour the service of men and women past and present.

For 82-year-old Pat Gallagher, it was also a time to remember the thousands of horses that went to war.

And one horse in particular has been on his mind for more than 60 years — a horse named Dipso.

"We'd moved to Sydney from the bush and I was just a teenager at the time," Mr Gallagher said.

"They'd opened a memorial for the horses of the Desert Mounted Corps in Macquarie Street in Sydney on the corner of the Botanic Gardens.

"I was walking up there one day and there was a wreath made of oats laying on the ground and a card with the name Dipso.

"The name itself was odd, because Dipso was the old term for an alcoholic and that's a funny name for a horse."

Mr Gallagher said the thought of a drunken horse stuck in his memory.

"I so often wonder who left the wreath there."

Twenty years later, Mr Gallagher found himself in Canberra walking down Anzac Parade.

"There had been something on at the Desert Mounted Corps Memorial and there again was a little wreath and that same name on a card, Dipso," he said.

"There just couldn't be two horses with that same name 20 years apart.

"Someone was still leaving wreaths in this horse's memory."

Mr Gallagher just couldn't ignore the coincidence any longer. What followed was a lengthy search following every thread of information he could find to trace the Dipso's story.

"I'm more of a horse-torian than a historian.

"The Trove facility at the National Library has all the old newspapers.

"People used to write home with news that Dipso had won such-and-such a race and the letters would get into the papers."

Dipso was one of the original horses of the 6th Australian Light Horse Regiment.

Reared at a station near Dubbo in New South Wales, the race horse was a thoroughbred and originally part-owned by Reginald Roy Brown.

"Records show that Dipso started his racing career in 1911," Mr Gallagher said.

"He ran second in the Nyngan Lady's Bracelet that year but won that event in 1912 and again in 1914.

A horse stands in a paddock

In 1914, Brown paid his brother £70 to own Dipso outright and enlisted with the 6th Light Horse Regiment on October 27.

On December 21, Brown and Dipso departed Sydney aboard HMAT Suevic bound for Egypt.

"In April 1915 the Australian infantry and artillery landed on Gallipoli but the light horsemen were left in Egypt," Mr Gallagher said.

"In just a couple of weeks the Anzacs had sustained so many losses that their leaders gladly accepted the volunteer light horsemen.

"They would leave their horses in Egypt with a quarter of the force to care for them while the other troopers fought in the trenches as infantry."

Records tell that Brown served at Gallipoli where he became ill and was evacuated to a hospital in England.

During his recovery Brown accepted a commission in the Royal Field Artillery.

He won a Military Cross for bravery on the Western Front and was elevated to the rank of major, but he was killed in an accidental explosion in October 1918.

A life-long love of horses

Mr Gallagher said in Brown's absence officer Stuart Archibald Tooth inherited Dipso.

"There were many empty saddles after the Gallipoli campaign."

But while Mr Gallagher has been able to document much of Dipso's experience at war, he remains mystified by who might be leaving wreaths in his memory.

"The Tooth name is reasonably common and while I've made many phone calls, I haven't been able to track down the Tooth family," he said.

Tooth had worked with Dipso in the Sinai and Palestinian campaigns and returned to Australia in June 1919.

"Tooth and Dipso had been through many perils together but the joy of victory was saddened by a parting that had to come," Mr Gallagher said.

"The horses could not be brought home."

At the end of the war 13,000 horses could not be returned home because of Australia's quarantine restrictions.

A select picking were sold as remounts for the British Army of Occupation. Wounded horses and those over the age of 12 were put down.

"Some, to the disgust of the Light Horse, were sold locally," Mr Gallagher said.

"If Tooth lived to read The Referee [newspaper], he would be pleased to know that Dipso went to the Indian cavalry and they were known for good horse care."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:13pm
Thanks Gay .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:33pm

My mom put oil on her bird feeder to keep squirrels from stealing the bird food

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:44am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

So who says animals dont twig,,,dont know whats going on,,,

I did a leg of lamb for dinner tonight ..   I hope your wrong A.A.

I feel bad already.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:49pm
3 Bears, you post cat vids.  Have you ever watched Simon,s Cat on youtube ?  For anyone who likes cats, he is so funny and so typical .  Especially when the cat is trying to get Simon out of bed to feed it.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:21pm
I get the vids from my wife AA. The best one lately was about cats that don't like kids. I'll try and find it.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:23pm
Simons cat wants $4.99 to watch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:40pm
Here's the cats and kids video. My fave is the one near the end where the brat belts the cat. Cat has last laugh. LOL

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 11:43pm
And for something different - horse and rubber chook

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:38pm
Hmm, I must be lucky as a friend sent me a link to Simons Cat and I watch when ever I need a chuckle. 
Not clever enough to get it to copy here tho.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:42pm
https://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat

Maybe this will work  ??   Not sure tho, as not real clever at getting links to copy/paste.
I love the one of the cats and kids, 3 Bs.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:43pm
Liked the off to the vet one. It's a bit Garfield with a scapegoat kitten instead of  the small dog.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:30pm
So the link worked ??     Phew.  Big smile
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:51pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:15pm
Both good, 3 Bears and PT.  
Bet when cat got across the road he wanted to get back again.    Hope he has 9 lives or that kind cop is present when he does.
LOVE Garfield.  Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:34am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:37am
I'll have a small chicken and a nice piece of liver thanks ....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:42am
This one for PT. I call it Donald and Melania .....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:27pm
Golly, I am not the only cat nutter around after all LOL
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:12am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:28am
Oh I love my magpies.   They are brilliant to watch and relate to.  They know the locals in their territory.    We have lots and lots in our end of the street and they know they are safe with us, , and no one gets bombed. 
A study was done at some fancy Uni , and its been proven that magpies recognise faces. 
They do here.   The parent birds bring their babies into my yard as soon as they can,,sort of,,fly,,,and leave them here , while they go off searching food.  Every year , for many years, I have been baby sitter for generations of magpie babies. 
I just love them
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:55am

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:51pm
My dad used to hand feed his local magpies during the bad drought years. He knew all the regulars. More food about now so they've moved on. They loved a bit of kangaroo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 5:54pm
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:36am
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2017/dec/14/the-2017-comedy-wildlife-photography-awards

Tibor Kercz’s owl scrambling to get back on to the branchEh, what’s up doc?Olivier Colle’s photograph of a wild rabbit in Flanders, Belgium, wins highly commended
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 21>