Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Feelgood Stories - Animal Related Only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:47pm
They all survived.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 2:39pm
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:49pm

I'm the reporter who discovered Knickers the giant steer. I can assure you he is enormous

Updated yesterday at 2:42pm

One month after I first met a seven-year-old steer called Knickers, he has become an internet sensation.

The massive Holstein Friesian steer standing at a height of 194 centimetres is believed to be the tallest in Australia and has burst his way onto news feeds across the world in the past few days.

I first heard about Knickers from my colleague Tyne Logan, who had asked me to come along to the Brunswick Show in the south-west of WA to meet what was rumoured to be one of the world's biggest examples of cattle.

Knickers didn't make it to the show that day because he was just too large to fit on the truck, and too big for his impending fate at the abattoir.

When we finally got to check out Knickers for ourselves at Geoff Pearson's farm in Myalup, 90 minutes south of Perth, any scepticism we may have had about this bovine's bona fides was instantly erased.

#FakeMoos

Photos cannot do the giant steer justice — he is huge.

Yet some overseas publications, including the Washington Post, have dared to question whether Knickers's proportions have been inflated.

They even got an expert from the Netherlands to try to cut Knickers down to size.

Standing in the same field as Knickers again on Thursday, let me offer some perspective.

Yes, in the pictures he is surrounded by Wagyu cattle — which are generally small.

But for me, a woman of five-foot-seven, it was pretty intimidating when all of his 1,400 kilograms first came lumbering through the gate towards me.

In a field full of normal-sized cattle, he certainly commands a degree of respect and humility from those trying to take his photo.

Knickers takes on the world

Fast-forward four weeks and Knickers has had way more than his 15 minutes of fame.

He has taken over the internet and filled up Mr Pearson's message bank with media requests.

"I scanned through my phone this morning and looked at how many messages and how many phone calls that I've had transacted through my phone and I think it was like 42 messages and 106 phone calls that I took yesterday," he said.

The calls came from media outlets across the world as the Knickers wave grew.

"The social media and the recognition, it's gone international, you can't believe it," Mr Pearson said.

"It's even got into a political space as well, it's touched everybody."

The tweets and memes have flown thick and fast over the past few days, with some suggesting Knickers should win TIME's person of the year, or that he was a reason behind Victorian opposition leader Matthew Guy's resignation.

But what does the future hold for Knickers and his new fame?

Mr Pearson has had offers from beef shows across Australia to show off his Knickers and even an proposal from Ripley's Believe It Or Not for Knickers to be stuffed and put on display.

"I actually had an offer [from Ripley's] for him to go into that sector, but I just said put something on paper to us and send it to us and we'll have a look at it," he said.

Cow or steer? Media in a twist over Knickers

But with all good internet sensations comes a level of scepticism. Some have even suggested the images of Knickers may have been Photoshopped to enhance his proportions.

"I can guarantee that he's had a lot of photos but he definitely hasn't been Photoshopped and that is his size," Mr Pearson said.

The only fake news that has been spread about Knickers is the use of the word "cow".

According to Meat and Livestock Australia a cow is a mature female used for breeding — something Knickers definitely is not.

"He's definitely not a cow, he is a steer," Mr Pearson said.

Of all the stories I have reported on over the years, nothing compares to the giant steer too big for the abattoir.

For the brief moment of joy you have all brought us Knickers, I salute you.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 9:03am

Brussels Parliament Recognises Animals As Sentient Beings

Brussels Parliament Recognises Animals As Sentient Beings
Freelance Journalist and Environmental Research Intern | Bristol, UK | Contactable via hello@livekindly.co

In a historic vote, the Brussels Parliament has unanimously backed a draft ordinance which recognises animals as sentient beings.

Bianca Debaets, the State Secretary responsible for animal welfare, suggested the vote could revolutionise the treatment of animals in the Brussels-Capital Region, according to The Brussels Times.

The vote means that animals will no longer carry the legal status of “object,” in the category of property and immobile goods. Instead, they will be classed as a specific group in society and afforded a more sophisticated degree of legal protection. When judging violations of animal protection regulations, courts must take into account that animals are capable of experiencing emotions and pain.

According to Debaets, only the southern region of Wallonia offers similar legal protection in the country. However, the Senate is looking into a constitutional amendment which would compel the Federal State and its bodies to enforce animal sentience protections.

We are perfectly in line with the spirit of the Federal Government which, through Justice Minister Koen Geens, has proposed a modification of the Civil Code to remove animals from the category of goods and create a new specific category for them,” Debaets said.

Debaets also praised other countries for their progressive animal rights legislation, saying, “We also learned from countries like France, the Netherlands, and New Zealand, which are very advanced in this regard.”

Hopeful that Brussels’ vote will be a significant step forward for animal rights, the politician added, “The ultimate aim is for animals to benefit finally from the legal status that corresponds to their biological nature.”

Animal Rights Legislation

Around the world, animal rights legislation is moving forward.

Last year, UK MPs omitted part of an EU treaty recognising nonhuman pain and emotion from the EU Withdrawal Bill. In retaliation, the public urged the government to legally recognise animal sentience.

The Environmental Secretary Michael Gove responded positively. He said in a statement, “animals are sentient beings who feel pain and suffering, so we are writing that principle into law and ensuring that we protect their welfare.” Though the bill did not allude to the protection of factory farmed-animals, Gove said, “we are a nation of animal lovers, so we will make Brexit work not just for citizens but for the animals.” The Welsh government officially backed Gove, concurring, “we fully agree animals are sentient beings.”

In India, the state of Uttarakhand recently bestowed human rights to animals in a bid to deter poaching, environmental abuse, and cruelty towards both domestic and wild animals. And in the U.S., elephant welfare advocates are currently awaiting a ruling by the Orleans County Supreme Court, which may rule that an isolated, self-aware Bronx Zoo elephant has legal personhood.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 6:56pm
If you love dogs as much as I do, try getting through the first two episodes of Netflix's "Dogs" without welling up a little.

"Bravo, Zeus, bravo".
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:22pm
Wombats poo in cubes
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:18am

Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
Far out, how good is that! Golden 🤩
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 3:48pm

Inseparable - A remarkable bond between strapper and Jericho Cup hero

Monday, 3 Dec 2018

www.RSN.net.au's Trent Masenhelder reported:

Jericho Cup winner High Mode is a little bit special to his strapper Bec Smith.

In fact, truth be told, he’s incredibly special.

And when the Anthony Freedman-trained gelding swung for home four lengths in front in Warrnambool on Sunday afternoon, Smith was both terribly excited and extremely nervous.

As history shows, High Mode would go on to score a three-length victory, sending Smith into a state of euphoria.

“It was literally the best day, it was so exciting,” Smith told RSN927 on Monday.

“To have the horse win and win so well, it meant so much to me and the entire stable.”

Smith explained that nervousness is a regular occurrence when High Mode takes to the track, and admitted the enormity of Sunday’s historic occasion took things to a new level.

“I didn’t think I would be able to watch it, I thought I was going to spew,” said Smith, who watched the race behind the fence adjacent to the winning post.

“When he hit the front, I started shaking and crying, and then when he crossed the line, I balled my eyes out and hugged everybody. I tried to pull myself together, but I couldn’t.”

Following High Mode’s famous victory, and after attempting to calm down, Smith enjoyed a special (quiet) moment with her much-loved friend.

She wanted to let him know (privately) how proud she was.

“I gave him the biggest hug then popped his rug on and walked him back to his box,” said Smith.

“I gave him his dinner and just sat there in his box with him for a while; we enjoyed each other’s company.

A son of Redwood, High Mode was purchased by Freedman for $105,000 at the New Zealand Ready To Run Sale of 2YOs in 2015, and since crossing the ditch, Smith has pretty much been by his side, spoiling him more often than not.

“He is my absolute favourite horse, I adore him so much,” said Smith, who has been with the Freedman stable for nearly four years.

“He’s got the best temperament and he’s the smartest little horse. He’s so sweet; he just does anything you ask of him. He’s a legend.”

High Mode’s win in the Riverina Cup at Wagga in New South Wales in August qualified him for the Jericho Cup, and he has since raced at Avoca and Moonee Valley.

“It’s been such a long journey to get this horse here. Because it’s such a long-distance race, there’s so much preparation that goes into it,” said Smith.

“Given the months and months of preparation, it made it all worth it.

“With the race being 4600 metres, it’s hard to keep the horse from being dour, so we did a lot with him; we took him to the beach, to the track, we schooled him (over some jumps).”

The Jericho Cup is the brainchild of Bill Gibbins, and Sunday’s race took place 100 years after the first running, which was staged to distract Turkish forces on the eve of the charge of the Light Horse at Beersheba.

Sunday’s meeting at The ‘Bool was a huge success, with more than 4,500 patrons on track.

“It was so much to do with race, especially when they sang the national anthem and all of the horses came out. It was such a special moment, to sit back and think that you a part of history,” Smith explained.

High Mode improved his record to three wins from 17 starts, for stakes amassing $210,000.

Smith hopes he adds to that tally, but should he not, High Mode will always be a champion in her eyes.

“When he retires, I hope to give him a forever home. I told Anthony the first day I rode him, ‘this is a special horse’,” Smith said.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:01pm
George H.W. Bush’s service dog Sully lying by the former president’s coffin

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

That is simply fantastic
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:41pm

George H.W. Bush’s service dog Sully lying by the former president’s coffin

Now that is sad, and shows us how animals can love .
animals before people.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 12:15pm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:29pm

Trump & Abbott, PT .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Which one is the pelican maxie?
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:40pm
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:44am
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:50am
[Man finds lost dog after 3 years
QUOTE=Sister Dot] https://www.facebook.com/askmen/videos/253815152150633/[/QUOTE]
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

[Man finds lost dog after 3 years
QUOTE=Sister Dot] https://www.facebook.com/askmen/videos/253815152150633/
[/QUOTE]

that is the happiest dog I have ever seen Smile  
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:21am
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 9:59am
A close up with Barnacle Bill! Don’t know if I would have had my hand in its mouth though. Those jaws look mighty strong 😳
https://www.facebook.com/LifeAndArtCollections/videos/1938221026270436/
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

That little dog has had some bad luck and some very good luck. What patient, brilliant people 🤩
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 8:32am
Definitely a feel good dog story 😊 too many of these stories unfortunately
https://www.facebook.com/ilovemydogfans/videos/10156430023853673/
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 9:14pm

Giant Rats Are Helping Save Pangolins From Wildlife Trafficking

rat-in-trainingA rat completing training exercises.

Wildlife officials in Tanzania are training African giant pouched rats to help identify illegal shipments of pangolins, a heavily trafficked endangered species.

Funded through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) as an effort to end wildlife trafficking, this program is currently assessing the rats’ ability to sniff out pangolins in various settings. If the rats are successful, they will eventually work in shipping ports to locate pangolins that have been illegally captured and locked up in shipping containers.

food-rewardRat in training gets a food reward for a job well done!

An extremely vulnerable species

Pangolins are an endangered species and the most illegally trafficked mammal on the planet. Their scales are ground up for use in traditional Chinese “medicine” and their meat is considered to be a high-end delicacy and status symbol in some areas of Asia.

Though these docile animals are protected by an international trade ban, their populations continue to plummet as poachers relentlessly capture them for the black market.

The only strategy pangolins have to protect themselves is to curl up into a ball and expose their tough outer scales. This helps with their natural predators but makes them an extremely easy target for poachers who can simply pick them up and walk off with them.

pangolinPangolin in defensive posture. Image: Wildlife Alliance

That’s where the rats come in. The goal for these surprisingly intelligent rodents is to locate pangolins packed away in hidden shipping containers before they’re sent off to be sold to the Asian black market.

While dogs usually come to mind for this sort of work, rats are less expensive to train and care for, and easier to transport. Officials believe that these enormous three-foot-long rats are perfect for the job as they’ve been so successful in other similar endeavors. This species is also used to sniff out landmines in Cambodia and test tuberculosis samples in Mozambique!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-08-07/farmers-challenge-public-perception-of-drought/10078840

Tottenham sheep farmer on his motorbike in a black and blue jacket with three dogs
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 9:26am
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:52am
If this isn’t a feelgood story......I don’t know what is 😊
https://www.facebook.com/334191996715482/posts/1911621795639153/
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:38am
Its a miracle.    How do people allow an animal to get like that ?  No telling how long it took , suffering all the time.   In the end its a lucky little dog.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:21am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>