Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

What are we watching tonight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

She won last time, Whale, at 12/1 with the bookies .  It was Muswellbrook, but a winner is a winner !  Wink
get on E W Macca !    And hope for the best !Thumbs Up

Oh well. Cry  Inflatable Miss  went down like one of Maccas blow up dolls !
animals before people.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:26am
Did anyone catch the first part of House Of Hancock Sunday night or Gallipoli last night?

I thought HOH was pretty good, and have recorded Gallipoli and will watch it tonight.
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 11:11am
Yep enjoy. This is the best TV of the year. The rest will be downhill from those two programs.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 5:45pm
I just saw this - typifies why the NFL is so great.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000469047/Super-Bowl-Sound-FX-Seattle-s-drive-ends-in-doom
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

I just saw this - typifies why the NFL is so great.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap3000000469047/Super-Bowl-Sound-FX-Seattle-s-drive-ends-in-doom

So the 21 is a hero for the winning team ?
reductio ad absurdum
questions View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Questions I believe that 9 is only showing Australia's games and the rest will be on pay until the knock out rounds...

i heard this yesterday and are they playing all the knockout games?

i wish they would pay more. surely foxtel is not paying so much that they want to protect them and not put games on gem. 

at least it is on a major channel that will attract plenty of interest to the games. 

will be interesting to see what people are saying in week 3. 
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:34pm
I reckon it's pathetic, they bring major events to Australia and then regular Australian's can't even watch them without having subscription television, I think it defeats the purpose of hosting these major tournaments if they aren't given mass exposure on FTA television, the Asian Cup is a good recent example, Football Federation Australia missed a golden opportunity to promote the game in this country by how low key the television exposure of that tournament was...
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:41pm
If you truly love sport, you have Foxtel. End of story. Garbage, absolute garbage that anyone cant find $50 a month to get sports on foxtel regardless of your income. You just cut back on something else.
Foxtel cares about sports coverage, FTA don't care about you at all, and treat you regularly with contempt.

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

If you truly love sport, you have Foxtel. End of story. Garbage, absolute garbage that anyone cant find $50 a month to get sports on foxtel regardless of your income. You just cut back on something else.
Foxtel cares about sports coverage, FTA don't care about you at all, and treat you regularly with contempt.

Sorry to say Sub but this just shows a complete disconnection from the realities that many people face. Yes, $50 per month is nothing to you and I but there are plenty of people who it is plenty. To say "you just cut back on something else" to pay for what is in reality a non-essential item shows that you are either completely ignorant on financial matters or simply taking the piss.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:14pm
$12.50 a week is one less takeaway, less beer, less cigarettes, becoming more energy efficient etc. It is possible on the dole to save $12.50 a week if you really want to. Saves you having to pay for live sport also.
People are poor with their money as a rule. That's why credit companies thrive.
If you love sport, you will find $12.50. I don't see this as ignorant.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:20pm
watched house of Hancock again last night, don't know how close to the truth it is but i suspect some of it is close enough to shake your head...
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:24pm

I was paying $92 month Foxtel
I was paying $120 month for a 250 gig Optus cable internet plan

I have now cut off the foxtel, and have unlimited broadband cable internet, with Optus "fetch" TV included for $90 a month, now that's a saving of $122.00 a month.

Optus TV is just like Foxtel and you add on channels that you want, the basic package comes included with my unlimited broadband internet...isn't that cool..yes I said "UNLIMITED" internet...$90 a month..!!!
Panspermia.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:28pm

$12.50 a week is one less takeaway, less beer, less cigarettes, becoming more energy efficient etc. It is possible on the dole to save $12.50 a week if you really want to. Saves you having to pay for live sport also.

So a low income family with two kids that struggles to put decent food on the table and where the father happens to love sport should be able to find that money? Just have a think about your statement for a minute. It's up there with some of the clueless stuff that we see from Questions. Ok that's an exaggeration but ignorant is an accurate description.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:43pm
Have to agree with E&E here.   Families with a morgage and kids and low income could not come up with that sort of money 
Dole bludgers , on pensions, with masses of kids can , of course.
But the honest hard worker sees that $12.50 as paying for something their kid needs.
Kids always need something for school,  and it all costs.  And if Dad doesnt make big dollars and Mum looks after the kids,  thats money they cant waste.
animals before people.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:50pm
The cost isn't the issue for me, I just don't see the value in it.  FTA may not care but Foxtel don't care anymore for their customers either.  I would have watched the Asian Cup if it were on FTA and same with the Cricket World Cup, but I don't see the value in signing up for foxtel just for the occasional tournament and to watch the NRL on Saturday nights.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

So a low income family with two kids that struggles to put decent food on the table and where the father happens to love sport should be able to find that money? Just have a think about your statement for a minute. It's up there with some of the clueless stuff that we see from Questions. Ok that's an exaggeration but ignorant is an accurate description.

Shouldn't have had kids........

(joking, relax....)
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:24pm

The cost isn't the issue for me, I just don't see the value in it.  FTA may not care but Foxtel don't care anymore for their customers either.  I would have watched the Asian Cup if it were on FTA and same with the Cricket World Cup, but I don't see the value in signing up for foxtel just for the occasional tournament and to watch the NRL on Saturday nights.

Absolutely Foxtel care for their customers, hence we get things like a 24 hour channel for the cricket world cup, why we have a 24 hr AFL station, why we get sports in HD. I could go on....
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:44pm
The new series Forever has started promisingly, it is a bit different now, but I am concerned it could get old quickly. Anyway, I will give it a chance.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:54am

Absolutely Foxtel care for their customers, hence we get things like a 24 hour channel for the cricket world cup, why we have a 24 hr AFL station, why we get sports in HD. I could go on....

They only care for the money you hand over each month, they don't put these channels out because they think your nice and want to reward you for your loyalty... Big smile

I'm not sure if things are going swimmingly in subscription TV land however, I got a call from Telstra marketing last week trying to ask me how my service is going and how they could improve it, afterwards the girl tried to change the topic on to TV, she said, what do you like, I said footy and cricket, she then tried pushing me into signing up for Foxtel so I could 'watch the Premier League' (she was English, so I guess nobody told her Australian's by default call footy either AFL, NRL or Rugby) so she suggested maybe my wife would like it to watch some of it... Made me wonder how good things are going for Foxtel if they're pushing so aggressively for customers...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:01am
the only thing Foxtel cares about is stinging their customers for as much as possible as often as possible, one of their key tactics is to put the most popular channels ins separate packages so it forces you buy into them, they will never give customers what they want which is the ability to pick channels one by one and only pay for them, they are monopolizing pigs, treat customers with uttermost disdain, was with them 8 years and not once did they offer a free movie package for a week or something...glad to be off them now.

I was a contractor for them for 6 years, I know all their ways.

Panspermia.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:06am
What??? A business wanting to make money??? Get out of town!!! Whatever next.....
Yes, they have an issue with rewarding loyal customers, but the sports package is simply superb, and Afros, yes they want to make money, but at least they do their utmost to make it worth your while, unlike FTA.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:08am
I have no opinion on this topic Shocked

I have never subscribed to Foxtel or any other pay TV service.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:11am
Is anyone using Netflix or any of those other new online operators? Any thoughts?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:14am

What??? A business wanting to make money??? Get out of town!!! Whatever next.....
Yes, they have an issue with rewarding loyal customers, but the sports package is simply superb, and Afros, yes they want to make money, but at least they do their utmost to make it worth your while, unlike FTA.

Agreed.

I am no Murdoch fan but I am 100% happy with my Foxtel subscription. 

Not sure I should say 100% as I would obviously be happy paying a whole lot less, But I am happy that I get value for money.

reductio ad absurdum
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:20am
I would consider Netflix.

I am sick of the free to air networks chopping and changing programmes, showing an episode or two then holding them back for weeks and generally not giving a damn about viewers.

Depending on price of course as I currently download many shows for free, but there is always a risk of copping a virus doing it that way
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 9:32am
I would die without my platinum Foxtel package...multipurpose...I get all my racing/sports/crime/documentaries...& the missus gets all the other stuff. Separate rooms...with the occasional..."how's the coffee going"..."turn it down", "whens dinner" or "just got pipped". Works a bloody treat !
Refer ALP Election Promises
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:19am
Goggle Box.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:22pm

greatest waste of money going...

get out and away from the TV for a while...life exists...

when we are away at a hotel we have Foxtel...after about an hour of flipping around channels full of sport repeats, uninteresting non-important golf tournis (I was once a big golf fan) and endless dart competitions, I throw up my hands in disbelief that anyone actually pays for that garbage...

(plus endless repeats of Spongebob and  Rugrats...HELP!!!!!)

we will never have Foxtel at home...I would rather put that monthly fee toward a nice meal or the next holiday...Clap

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

when we are away at a hotel we have Foxtel...after about an hour of flipping around channels full of sport repeats, uninteresting non-important golf tournis (I was once a big golf fan) and endless dart competitions, I throw up my hands in disbelief that anyone actually pays for that garbage...

we will never have Foxtel at home...I would rather put that monthly fee toward a nice meal or the next holiday...Clap

agree, there is plenty to watch on TV, those infomercial stations are hypnotic.Embarrassed

and if not surely you can find another way to occupy your time
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Really??? You want to tell me how to live my life?? You have deduced because I like watching sport on Foxtel that it leaves me no time for other things?? Come on Ju, mind your own bees wax and worry about your own life.......I am quietly confident my life has been one extremely well lived, and far from done.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>