Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

VIC. & S.A. Apprentices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIC. & S.A. Apprentices
    Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 7:32pm
I'm only posting these as I reckon it could be a very interesting thread to look back on Big smile

Meet apprentice Sage Duric

A career in the saddle has long been on the agenda for Sage Duric and the well-bred rider took another step towards realising that dream when she was inducted into Racing Victoria's Apprentice Jockey Training Program in February.

"Being inducted as one of the 11, obviously 10 girls and one boy, I'm very grateful to be chosen," Duric said.

"Obviously, my second year trying and learning off Alf (Matthews) and Darren (Gauci), the knowledge that they're willing to give us kids and help guide us kids as we embark on our next path."

Duric is the daughter of Caulfield Cup-winning jockey Vlad, while her mother Storm is also a former jockey. Growing up in the industry clearly played a role in Duric's decision to become a jockey, but she also holds a strong passion for the animal.

"I've always loved horses," Duric said.

"I grew up eventing, show jumping and attending pony club every weekend. It's something that Mum and Dad could never really get me away from.

"I was always out with the horses and always competing and being a jockey was something that was weighing heavily on me.

"I knew if I didn't pursue it, it was something that would be a huge regret."

For Duric, it's also the speed of the thoroughbred that's enticed her towards becoming a jockey.

"I love going fast," she said.

"There's no other feeling, when you're on their backs and you can feel them kick into that next gear, they go into another one, there's nothing like it, it's nothing like I've ever experienced."

Duric is serving her apprenticeship with Phillip Stokes at Pakenham, having served a pre-apprenticeship of sorts prior to joining his stable.

"She's a great little personality," Stokes said.

"She's been with us for two years now. She's had a really good grounding coming into this; she started off riding trackwork for Stephen Gray in Singapore and then when she returned, she did eight months at Booralite with Julien Welsh before coming here.

"She's continued to improve in all aspects; she's got stronger, her personality, she gets on good with the staff."

Stokes can see that Duric has a future in the sport.

"She's the right stature, she won't get too big," he said.

"She's just kept on working on her style and her strength and her technique. Horses are running for her in her jumpouts, she's had a lot of jumpouts now and she starts her official trials very soon."

While Duric has had great mentors along the way in her riding journey, she's noticed vast improvement in her time under Stokes' watch.

"To look back where I was two years ago to now, it's been a big leap and you learn a lot of Phil," Duric said.

"He's a very hard worker and being around him makes you want to work harder. There's always something new to learn off him. He's hard on me but fair and I know that he just wants me to do well.

"Obviously, all I want to do is to make my parents and to make Phil proud, so that's something that I strive for every day."

While her father has won a Caulfield Cup and four premierships in Singapore, Duric would love to add a couple of famous trophies herself to the family's mantelpiece.

"I think the Cox Plate would be pretty cool, Dad obviously hasn't won one of those and obviously a Melbourne Cup," Duric said.

"I'd like to do two better and try and get those two!"

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 7:44pm

Meet apprentice Sam Kennedy-Roessling

You won't meet many more determined young riders than Sam Kennedy-Roessling.

One of 11 new inductees into Racing Victoria's Apprentice Jockeys' Program, the 20-year-old has had to move states and away from her close family to pursue her riding dream.

"I moved down to Victoria about two years ago from northern NSW to work for Matt Laurie and apply for the apprentice program.

"I didn't make it unfortunately the first year, but it was probably for the best because I've made it this year and I'm very excited for what the future holds.

"When I found out I got in I was just about in tears and very excited.

"This is something that I just have to put everything into because this is it for me, this is everything I've dreamt about."

She admits she's been horse obsessed since she was very young, coming from a family who also loved the animals but otherwise had no connection to racing.

"My mum is German, she moved from Germany about 30 years ago, she had some ponies in Germany and learnt that traditional riding style," she said.

"My sister was horse mad, especially show jumping, so I've grown up with that side of the industry and pony club and having my Shetland pony.

"But also a fixation on a movie Racing Stripes, I watched it so many times I can't tell you.

"I used to have this rocking horse and my dad had to bolt it down to the ground because I rode it out so hard.

"I transferred that quite quickly to my Shetland pony, I used to gallop her around the paddock."

She says her horse obsession only grew as she got older, but she struggled to find the right outlet to turn her passion into a career.

"I was in a bit of a rut in northern NSW because there aren't any large stables there and there wasn't enough horses for me to learn on," she said.

"Then we decided that I'd try for a job somewhere in a bigger stable that could teach me.

"My sister's boss he had one horse from Matt Laurie's that he'd bought and we had no other connections to anyone in Victoria apart from that.

"So we gave him a call and Matt said 'When can you start'?

"My sister and I flew down and we met him and had a look at Mornington and the stables and Matt threw me on six horses that morning and I just knew it was going to be the place.

"I've learnt more from him than I have from anyone else in my life, he's just an amazing horseman.

"I love doing everything around the stables but as a job I absolutely adore the riding side.

"There's nothing better than getting up and getting to ride your favourite horse."

She says it still doesn't quite feel real yet that her own name will be in the racebook shortly.

For the record, the name on her birth certificate is Sam, she's never been a Samantha even though sometimes people assume.

Not that she really cares what people call her, she says, she just can't wait to have her crack and live out her dream more than a decade in the making.

"It's so exciting to think that I have now the opportunity to race ride in Victoria," she said.

"When I have my first race ride, I'm going to have to try and keep myself quite calm because I think the nerves are going to be very high.

"But I think it will be one of the best experiences of my life, even if I run last it's going to be such an accomplishment."

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 7:27pm

Pang's dream career start

For many new apprentices their first day race riding is one they’ll never forget, and for Chris Pang that’s certainly the case.

In a dream start to his career, Pang finished his first day at the races hoisting a trophy above his head having won the $30,000 Kerang Cup (1800m) for his bosses Leon and Troy Corstens.

Originally from Hong Kong, having immigrated to Australia 10 years ago, Pang was also celebrating his 29th birthday on Saturday as he began the next stage in his racing career in perfect order.

Pang is the first of the 11 new RV apprentices to make their racing debut and had three rides on the Kerang program, highlighted by consistent mare Look Sharpish in the feature event.

In an incredibly even contest the seven-year-old jumped the $4.40 second elect getting away solidly before settling at the rear of the eight-horse field coming around the first turn.

Travelling fairly down the back, Pang made his move on the mare coming around the final bend saving ground on the inside coming into the straight.

With 100 metres to go the new apprentice did what many inexperienced riders have done before him in dropping the whip, but he was able to keep his cool and rode her hands and heels to the line for a dominant three-length victory.

Taking to social media, Pang was thrilled with the result, and especially to have done it for his bosses Malua Racing.

“Words can’t describe how thankful I am,” he said.

“Thanks for Team Corstens and everyone single person who supported in my life.

“First start, first day, first cup win, and happy 29th nirthday to me.

“A remarkable day for my first step in the journey.”

Malua Racing was also full of praise for their new apprentice.

“This is what racing is all about. So proud of Chris,” they wrote on Facebook.

“His work ethic speaks volumes of the person he is and we look forward to watching him continue to grow as a professional jockey.”

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:58pm
Thumbs Up
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:45pm
Well done to apprentice Christopher Pang on his first day of riding at just his third ride gets his first career win in the Kerang Cup aboard Look Sharpish for Leon & Troy Corstens.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:04pm
This is an awfull injury to have happen at such an early start to her career , I wish her the speediest of recoveries to full blown health , and to maintain her love of horses from the other side of the fence forever . 💐🌷🌹🌺🌸🌻🌼
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:38pm

Reynolds shows marked improvement

Injured apprentice Chelsey Reynolds continues to make significant progress in hospital as she recovers from life-threatening injuries sustained in a trackwork fall in early February.

Reynolds was airlifted to hospital with critical head injuries after the fall at the private training property of her employers, Wayne Francis and Glen Kent, on the Fleurieu Peninsula.

Speaking on Racing.com's Raceday Live on Wednesday, Kent said the 28-year-old has shown marked improvement in the past fortnight.

He said Reynolds is fully conscious, smiling and starting to speak to doctors and family.

"The last week has been amazing for us," Kent said.

"She's smiling, we've got a bit of a giggle out of her and she's really starting to wake up now.

"We took Justin Potter and Jake Toeroek in there and she was smiling at the boys and happy to see them.

"It's only little steps for us but they are massive compared to what we've had to deal with.

"Credit to her partner Craig and her family, we've all been right there and living through hell really."

Kent said Reynolds will undergo further surgery this week to replace a part of her skull that was removed to relieve pressure on her brain in the initial period after her fall.

"At the moment it's a bit tough (to say how long she'll be in hospital) because she's getting her skull put back in," he said.

"They had to operate to release the pressure.

"Hopefully in the next three to four weeks she'll be back into the rehab."

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 5:45pm
Learning to ride a racehorse is like riding a bike , the more you fall off , the quicker you learn . Wink  believe me , I know . 😂
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 3:26pm
Good. Thanks for letting us know 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm
They don't mate.

Here's a brief extract from the Victorian Apprentice Program:

The Racing Victoria Apprentice Program provides the technical classroom element for new riders and is the school-based component. Across the four-year apprenticeship, inductees complete a Certificate IV in Racing – Jockey qualification, covering subject matter including exercise science and athletic performance, personal and professional wellbeing, finance, media and business skills, defensive driver courses and of course the rules of racing.

Riding-specific technical training and performance analysis are major parts as inductees begin to find their seat in the saddle, with coaching by former top jockeys Alf Matthews and Darren Gauci.

Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 2:34pm
Why are jockeys apprenticed to trainers? Electricians, Lumbs and the like all work with qualified tradespeople, so how to trainers who may not ever have ridden a horse, teach these people how to ride?
Just asking 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 1:20pm

Meet new apprentice Nadia Daniels

Trainer Pat Carey is known as an astute educator of apprentices, not afraid to deliver the tough advice needed to help his young riders reach their potential.

But his latest new apprentice 18-year-old Nadia Daniels says he’s not the strictest taskmaster in the stable. And it isn’t his co-trainer Harris Walker either.

It’s her long-time friend and Carey’s most recent apprentice the talented Celine Gaudray.

“I like to say that I’m not actually apprenticed to Pat, I’m apprenticed to Celine,” Daniels said with a laugh. “She’s tough as nails, very tough on me, but she wants the best for me.

“She’s a great coach, a great mentor, she’s been through the ringer with racing, and she knows all about it.”

It was Gaudray who first suggested to Daniels that she should come and work at Carey’s yard three years ago.

They’d known each other since they were young, and Daniels says she was just happy to get a part-time job.

“It’s a funny story, my family don’t come from a racing background let alone horses at all, they wouldn’t know what a mane on a horse is.

“I asked my mum if I could start riding lessons at 10 years old, I’d never really had a true hobby or anything and I just liked the ponies.

“I started in a little place in Cranbourne, that’s where I met Celine, and when I was 15, she asked if I wanted a job at Pat’s, so I called him, and he got me in there straight away.

“I started working on the ground there for about a year and learnt all the bits and bobs about racing.

“I was very green and raw, I had no idea about racing, I didn’t even know how to put a rearing bit on properly.

“It was a big adjustment, it’s very different from the equestrian background.”

Daniels and Gaudray also bonded over similar backgrounds of having parents who grew up overseas and were not connected to the racing industry.

Daniels says her parents have gone through an adjustment as her part-time hobby has now turned into a full-time career after she was accepted into Racing Victoria’s prestigious Apprentice Program.

“My parents are very Russian and Ukrainian; we all speak Russian at home.

“My mum came over here when she was 18 and had me. I like to think I’m special because I was the first-born Aussie out of my cousins.

“My parents really want to come to a trial. I’m yet to bring them, they want to watch me and they’re really excited.

“They weren’t sure about it at first, but now they’re pretty stoked about it, they love it.

“Celine also came from a background where her family weren’t really involved with horses at all, so she understands my position.

“She helps me a lot with the mental side of things, she knows this job can be a lot of pressure on someone young like me and she was in that same position.

“She’s just told me not to take things too personally, be yourself and as long as you work hard, you’ll get the results.”

She’s also told her to keep learning as much as she can off their official bosses and Carey says the 18-year-old, one of the youngest in the latest program intake, has heeded the advice.

“She’s a good listener, she’s focused, and she doesn’t switch off from racing as soon work’s finished,” he said.

“She came into the stable with the expectation that she’d just give us a hand for a few weeks or a month or two and learn something and give us a chop out.

“Well, here she is today, she’s been inducted into the system and has a bright future ahead.”

For Daniels, she just can’t wait to get to the races, already daring to dream of what could be ahead.

“When I first found out I got into the program I was stoked, it was an amazing feeling.

“It was a long wait, but we got there in the end and I’m really happy to be inducted with a great group of girls and Chris.

“It will be really great and I’m really excited to start this journey."

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 9:51pm
Great day for young apprentice Brittany Button, first day of riding at Towong and boots home the winner of the last Chairman's Choice for Andrew Dale.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 2:40pm

Injured SA apprentice set to move out of intensive care

Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Update | Chelsey Reynolds

Chelsey’s family have provided Racing SA with the following update on her condition.

Chelsey underwent craniotomy surgery earlier this week to relieve pressure on her brain. She remains in an induced coma and her condition, while still critical, remains stable.

Everyone at Racing SA would again like to thank the outstanding team at the Flinders Medical Centre for their care of Chelsey and the South Australian community for their continued messages of love and support.

We would again ask that the privacy of Chelsey’s family remains respected, and we will provide updates as appropriate.

There are more positive signs for injured South Australian apprentice Chelsey Reynolds with confirmation she is set to move out of intensive care.

The 29-year-old was initially airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre after suffering serious head injuries in a trackwork fall at a private training property at Finniss on February 13.

Reynolds has since spent most of her time in an induced coma and underwent delicate surgery late last month to help remove pressure on her brain.

Last week the family announced her sedation levels were being reduced and she was opening her eyes but not yet responding, while also reiterating that her recovery was going to be long and slow.

Racing SA provided another encouraging update on Friday night.

"We are delighted to share some promising news from Chelsey's family," Racing SA said in a statement.

"Her condition continues to slowly improve, and she will be moving out of intensive care and onto a ward in the coming days to continue her treatment at the Flinders Medical Centre.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 1:29pm

Meet new apprentice Zoe Waller

At 18 years old, Zoe Waller is one of the youngest new members of Racing Victoria's Apprentice Jockeys' Program.

But don't let her age fool you into thinking she hasn't already put in the hard yards.

For more than three years she's been working for trainer Julien Welsh, up at 3am to ride work, then to school, before returning to the stables for the afternoon.

Welsh says she's one of the hardest workers he's ever seen, while the former elite show jumper says there's nothing else she'd rather be doing.

"I'm really determined to make it as a jockey, I love it so much and it's just so cool to get to work with these horses every day," Waller said.

"When I found out I got in the program I was pretty excited, it's been a goal of mine for the past few years.

"It was just a bit of relief to finally get in, to finally be able to really ramp it up and start working towards getting my official trials done and hopefully get to the races some time this year.

"Like everyone else I'd love to outride my claim and win a major, but at the moment it would just be pretty cool to be out there amongst everyone else."

Originally from Warrandyte and now based at Warragul with her family, Waller says she's been horse mad since getting her first pony at two.

It's a passion that's now shifted to racing.

"You can't beat the adrenaline rush, I love the speed side of things when you're galloping or when the gates open and you fly out, it's an amazing feeling."

Working at Welsh's Booralite Park property, she's also been able to learn from last season's leading Melbourne apprentice Carleen Hefel.

Hefel is known as one of the hardest workers within the industry and Waller says it's been invaluable getting to see firsthand how she prepares.

"She's helped me out a lot since I started working here at Julien's," she said.

"She's got me into the gym and she's really helped me with my strength side of things.

"She goes through my jumpouts with me and puts me on the mechanical horse and just really helps me tweak all the finer points with my riding style.

"She's had so much success throughout her apprenticeship and I'm just really hoping I can match a bit of that success.

"I also definitely look up to riders like Damien Oliver and Jamie Kah, not only all their success but also their riding positions are just so good and their incredible talent to make the right decision in a race."

Having seen her determination over the past few years, Welsh says if she continues to work hard, he's confident Waller also has a good chance of reaching the highest levels.

"I think her work ethic is going to take her a long way," he said.

"She leaves home at 3:30am and she doesn't get home until 5pm at night and that's every day bar Sundays.

"She was an exceptional show jump rider as a junior, she got to Grand Prix level, which takes a lot of dedication.

"She's a very determined young girl, gets something in her head and she shoots for it.

"She's smart, she was pretty much a straight-A student before she came here, I think her mother wanted her to be a vet, but she had other plans.

"I don't think it's going to matter what she does, she's going to excel, she's just got to keep two feet on the ground now."

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 6:52pm

Meet new apprentice Eliza Lloyd

Eliza Lloyd wasn't one of those people who grew up always wanting to be a jockey.

She hadn't dreamt of winning a Group 1 or a Melbourne Cup.

But all of that has changed very quickly in recent years for the skilled horsewoman, who is now one of 11 inductees into Racing Victoria's Apprentice Jockey Program.

"I only started in racing about two years ago, I never really thought of being a jockey to be completely honest," she said.

"I was working as a vet nurse for the vets at Cranbourne on course and I saw the girls ride past for trackwork and thought that looks like something I'd really like to try and do.

"So I kicked off my career and realised I really like doing jumpouts, I really enjoyed the thrill of it coming from a show jumping background.

"I show jumped from when I was young, nine or 10 years old and then have now got into racing and I found the same thrill."

The 23-year-old admits she's one of the least experienced from a racing perspective to get into RV's highly competitive apprentice program.

But after a lifetime of riding and almost 15 years in show jumping, it was also her connection with the horse through her work as a vet nurse that helped win her selection into the prestigious program.

"I started in vet nursing during COVID just after the start of everything getting shut down," she said.

"I worked at the vet nursing hospital doing surgeries for the racehorses specifically because this industry was still running.

"We did a lot of knee chip surgeries, throat surgeries and I just loved helping those animals and helping them get better and get back to racing.

"Doing a lot of the vet nursing has made me very aware on how horses feel, the way horses look and the way that they move and sound.

"And I think that's really helped me in my early riding career to be able to pick up when something is not right and then report back accurately and appropriately to my trainer.

"One of the great things that I love is seeing the whole process and outcome of where they end up after they've recovered and the lives they get to live."

Having worked on the road as a vet nurse helping racehorses all around Victoria during those times, Lloyd found her way back to the vet centre at Cranbourne.

She was again back next to the canteen where she had full view of the morning trackwork and the young riders out there, including her now housemate and fellow apprentice inductee Olivia East.

"I saw them ride past every morning, Olivia was actually one of them that I saw ride past laughing her head off as per usual, so when she rode past, I thought that looks fun, that looks like something I would love to do," Lloyd said.

"At the time I had a couple of off-the-track horses myself and my show jumping horse had just injured himself.

"I've always been around horses from a young age and I was friends with Georgia Price, Mick Price's daughter, so the day I decided to really give everything a crack I called Mick and asked if he knew of anyone who needed a trackwork rider and he said 'Yours truly' and I started on Monday.

"So after two years of vet nursing, I decided to just sort of push that aside and give it a go and here I am.

"All of the jockeys have been so helpful and so great to learn off and from working with Mick he was amazing, as was Michael Kent Jnr, with getting me running and getting me started for a couple of years.

"I decided to branch out to Luke Oliver's about three months ago to try and find more things to learn.

"I'm happy to get on anything, I'm happy to give anything a crack and that's my main priority now to keep getting better and practice those jumpouts and see where that gets me.

"The thing that I love most about racing is just the adrenaline rush that you get and just the love for the horses and the way that you can work with a horse throughout your trackwork and jumpout there on it and get those results on the track as well.

"Obviously there's very good money involved in racing as well if you're any good and I strive to give back to my parents and to give back to those people who have helped me along the way."

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2024 at 12:08pm
Poor girl.  Terrible thing to happen .  Not much one can do but keep her in our thoughts.
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 5:28pm
Update | Chelsey Reynolds

Chelsey’s family have provided Racing SA with the following update on her condition.

Chelsey underwent craniotomy surgery earlier this week to relieve pressure on her brain. She remains in an induced coma and her condition, while still critical, remains stable.

Everyone at Racing SA would again like to thank the outstanding team at the Flinders Medical Centre for their care of Chelsey and the South Australian community for their continued messages of love and support.

We would again ask that the privacy of Chelsey’s family remains respected, and we will provide updates as appropriate.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 11:07am
I haven't seen any updates on Chelsea Confused doesn't bode well for any improvement.

Field's recovery focus

Almost six weeks after having surgery to repair a fractured leg, apprentice Sarah Field says she's determined to get back to doing what she loves.

The 25-year-old damaged her tibia and fibula during a race meeting at Stawell on January 5, when she was dislodged in the mounting yard by the Keith Hall-trained gelding Lewandowski.

"Everything's going well so far, it's just going to be a slow process but so far it's going well," she said.

"It's been about five-and-a-half weeks now and they said it will take weeks for the bone to heal.

"So timeline-wise probably at about the three-month mark I'll start trackwork but I'll see how it goes, I'm not going to rush it."

Apprenticed to Ciaron Maher and having previously worked for the stable prior to starting her apprenticeship, Field has kept herself busy visiting the yard and has even worked for the team on course while out of the saddle.

"I'll go in just to get out and about, the team's great and I like to be able to help them out whenever I can and see the horses and everyone," she said.

Field began her career in perfect order last July with a win on her first day riding at Donald aboard gelding Field Of Flutes and she's since recorded 11 victories, the most noteworthy of those the Burrumbeet Cup on New Year's Day.

Having spent years trying to get into the apprentice program, she says she's focused on getting back to riding and being able to once again build up winning momentum.

"I'm 100 per cent determined to get back, I think it's made me even more eager to succeed," Field said.

"It's going to be hard though, I feel like I've lost almost all my strength already.

"So I know it will be a long road back but I'm definitely excited and keen to get the recovery done."

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 5:48pm

Apprentice Chelsey Reynolds is expected to remain in an induced coma for the next few days, according to an update from Racing SA.

The 28-year-old was seriously injured in an incident at trackwork on Tuesday morning at the private Finnis training property managed by Wayne Francis and Glen Kent, and Racing SA released the following statement on Thursday via X:

"Understanding the level of concern for Chelsey Reynolds, we provide the following update," Racing SA said via X. "We have been advised through her family that Chelsey is likely to be kept in an induced coma for a number of days.

"Chelsey is receiving the best possible care and we thank the dedicated medical team at the Flinders Medical Centre.

"While we completely understand everyone's interest in Chelsey's condition, we would again ask that the privacy of Chelsey's family remains respected.

"Racing SA will provide an update as soon as there is a change in the situation."

Reynolds was airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide in a critical condition and has remained there since in an induced coma.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 12:16pm

South Australian apprentice Chelsey Reynolds remains in an induced coma at Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide as she receives treatment for serious injuries sustained in a trackwork incident on Tuesday.

Racing SA provided a short update on the 28-year-old's condition on Wednesday morning, 24 hours after she was airlifted to hospital in a critical condition following the accident at the Finnis property managed by trainers Wayne Francis and Glen Kent.

"Our thoughts are with everyone close to Chelsey during this concerning time," a spokesperson said.

Racing SA is providing support to the family and our wider racing group, particularly members of our apprentice academy where Chelsey is much loved.

"Chelsey's family have asked us to thank everyone for the messages of love and support they have received.

"They have also requested privacy at this time."

The Racing SA statement also confirmed that that the horse involved in Tuesday’s incident has been cleared of any injury by a veterinarian.

Francis and Kent scratched their only runner from Wednesday's Gawler race meeting

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 10:47pm
Any updates ?  Last I read she was critical  ? 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 3:45pm

South Australian apprentice jockey Chelsey Reynolds has been flown to Flinders Medical Centre after an incident at trackwork on Tuesday morning.

The 28-year-old had been working on an uphill sand gallop on the Fleurieu Peninsula when the incident occurred.

Racing SA has confirmed it is providing support to Reynolds' family and will provide a further update on her condition "as soon as we are able".

Reynolds, who is indentured to Wayne Francis and Glen Kent and has seven winners from 52 rides, tasted success in her very first race, saluting on The Great Baby at Balaklava on July 30 last year.

Her last winner was on Pool Pony at Murray Bridge on December 10.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 10:41am
Vic. Apprentice Intake 2024

Sage Duric is set to follow in her parents footsteps after joining Racing Victoria’s (RV) Apprentice Jockey Training Program.

Duric, the daughter of Caulfield Cup-winning jockey Vlad and Storm, was announced as one of 11 inductees into the four-year program on Monday Morning.

There will be 10 women in this year’s program and one male.

Duric said she would lean on her father, who won the Caulfield Cup on Master O’Reilly in 2007, for advice.

“Both Mum and Dad went through Racing Victoria’s prestigious program, so to be chosen by RV and given the opportunity to do the same makes me feel extremely honoured and lucky that I get to live out my dream,” Duric said.

“Dad is obviously my father first but he’s also my best friend and to have somebody to share this passion with is like no other. Dad’s success speaks for itself in both Australia and Singapore, so I feel a little bit of pressure there, but I think pressure can be a good thing.”

The eleven inductees into the program are:

Brittany Button (Gerald Egan) – 24 years old

Nadia Daniels (Pat Carey) – 18 years old

Sage Duric (Phillip Stokes) – 21 years old

Olivia East (Mick Price and Michael Kent Jnr) – 22 years old

Stephanie Hateley (Anthony and Sam Freedman) – 28 years old

Samantha Kennedy-Roessling (Matt Laurie) – 20 years old

Ruby Lamont (Michael Kent) – 21 years old

Eliza Lloyd (Luke Oliver) – 23 years old

Chris Pang (Leon and Troy Corstens) – 28 years old

Hayley Spitse (Ben, JD and Will Hayes) – 21 years old

Zoe Waller (Julien Welsh) – 18 years old

Tianni Chapman, Bailey Kinninmont, Hannah Le Blanc and Makisha Salter will all graduate from the program on Monday night.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 4:15pm

Scans have cleared Tatum Bull of any fractures following a fall at Benalla on Tuesday.

The hoop was taken to Wangaratta Hospital via ambulance after she was dislodged soon after crossing the line on Calypso Rich in Race 7.

Bull was conscious when taken via ambulance but was complaining about pain in her ankles.

Victorian Jockeys' Association boss Matt Hyland confirmed on Wednesday that the ankle injuries are most likely soft tissue, however, she also suffered a concussion and will be stood down automatically for 12 days.

Bull was expected to leave hospital on Wednesday.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 3:09pm
I was busy at the time , but I heard this after the first winner at Randwick , " Nash riding a little bit longer " , Nash to interviewer , " yeah , well I had to , never been on it's back before " , the first starter , a 2y/o winner . no flies on Nash . Wink
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 2:27pm
Tatum has been cleared of any fractures, however has been stood down from riding for 2 weeks due to concussion.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 1:39pm
Exactly to the last bit 👍 and horses do roll about when race is over .
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 1:36pm
Maybe move them a little further from the finishing post. Lots of tracks are using tunnels too. While we’re at it, horses need a bit more space to pull up past the finishing post and jockeys need to pay attention after the race/trial too, lots of stargazing, riders dropping the anchor etc. Safety considerations shouldn’t stop just because the race has ended 
to the victor
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 12:33pm
Our major tracks ( and all others ) have had  them for over a century , blundering at crossing are few and far between imo lingh11 , having said that LOL what can they do ? Randwick has 3 , Flemington 3 ( unless the straight six has been altered ) but I've got an idea , drop your irons a peg or 2 , the longer you ride , the longer you stay on , our Queen never fell off LOL very good straight six horse Marmion snapped fetlock at half mile crossing early 60s , in all honesty , how do they work their horses without those crossings ? be alert , be aware , and be prepared I say , the awareness of crossings to junior riders at app. school is paramount .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>