Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Fires - Victoria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fires - Victoria
    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 6:08pm
Quite apart from 40 degree plus temperatures which are leaving vegetation tinder dry, the following could well lead tolightning strikes and further serious fire activity.  

ps Another 20 separate fires flared throughout Victoria last night.  Hands up all those who believe arsonists and/or the lack of fuel reduction burns were to blame.

"Very dangerous" thunderstorm to hit Mornington Peninsula imminently

The Bureau of Meteorology says a "very dangerous" thunderstorm with 125km/h winds are expected to hit the Mornington Peninsula within the next few minutes.

Hands up all those who believe arsonists and/or the lack of fuel reduction burns will be to blame.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm
Or to be rather more precise make that "Hands up all those who believe arsonists and/or the lack of hazard reduction burns were to blame".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:42pm
Another 20 separate fires flared throughout Victoria overnight.

Hands up all those who believe arsonists and/or the lack of control burning were to blame.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
This was recorded in 2009 after the disastrous Victorian bush fires of that year. It is just as appropriate today as it was all those ten years ago

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Softy Softy wrote:

And how did I foresee that Mr Positivity.
Obviously not the intellectual GIANT that you are but modesty was fashionable in our household.

Well at least you do that well.Clap
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Thanks GAJ for finding that Thumbs Up  Nothing like ole Henry to bring a tear to the eye. 

Yes, thanks GAJ Clap

These lines are just so Australian ... HeartBig smile

Flash Jim the Breaker is lying low — blue-paper is after him,
    And Dunn, the trooper, is riding his rounds with a blind eye out for Jim,

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

Totally off the argument and politics of the thread, just thought I'd share what I saw on a film we watched the other night called 'Manganini'.
A film set in1830, about a Tasmanian aboriginal woman and a little white girl, it was very good, the opening scenes showed the white settlers riding along looking back at a burn off by the natives! Interesting this was portrayed in the film.
Clap
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

In February I am about to pay my annual municipal rates and on the rates notice I see that I am being charged $373.90 for "Fire Levies ".Most property owners pay an annual levy via their council rates to help fund Victoria’s fire services. The Fire Services Property Levy, which is based on your property's capital improved value plus a fixed charge for all properties, helps fund the services provided by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) and Country Fire Authority (CFA). 

It is collected by local councils and usually appears on your rate notice., however local councils pass this levy on to the State Government where it is added to Consolidated Revenue.

I pose the question if the levy forms part of the government's Consolidated Revenue how much is actually given to the MFB and the CFA ? Would you trust any government to pass any levy fully if that government faces a shortfall in other budgetary areas ?

BTW, in addition to that levy I also had my own own home and contents insurance. Although living within 6 km of the Melbourne CBD, where bush fires will never happen, I am happy in some way to contribute to the Country Fire Authority, providing the state government distributes to that authority and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and not to fund other budgetary shortfalls. 

... I hope that you didn't know that "your" Dan Andrews;

* Cut $50 million from the RFS budget - understandable if they have stopped bothering with fuel reduction - and

* Gave himself a $47k pay rise - because he is doing such a great job for the United nations! ... Clap

Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:10pm
And how did I foresee that Mr Positivity.
Obviously not the intellectual GIANT that you are but modesty was fashionable in our household.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:07pm

thanks Whale, can’t quite remember but I think the AFL are safe for a while.
And I’m probably not the most intelligent either but I do know that if Alistair McLean looked at one of our horses and said ‘that tendon looks a bit iffy’, I wouldn’t disregard his advice because of his political leanings.
A few on here would though.

We are in furious agreement softy.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm

One fact is that Morrison was warned quite early and done nothing.
Fact.

softy, the PM has no say in STATE BASED RFS. Stop repeating what the TV tells you to say.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

have to disagree Baguette - I would think that everyone wants a comprehensive and unbiased enquiry.

Why? ... we have had 18 major inquiries in 80 years ... the only thing that the Labor/Greens in Victoria has done is make new fire hazard warning signs that go up to "CATASTROPHIC" ... which was very well received by the "activist media" and the HYSTERICAL greenies ... RRRRREEEEEEEE!!! 

They ignored the recommendations of the 2010 Victorian Royal Commission - common to EVERY inquiry - to "substantially increase fuel reduction measures".

What will a Royal Commission tell you that you don't know, and what would the point even be? Royal Commissions simply waste time and money, tell us what we know, have no powers, and they are mostly just placed in a bottom draw of a filing cabinet.

I tell you facts like these every day and you just remain an ignorant denier ... Wacko

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm
Thanks GAJ for finding that Thumbs Up  Nothing like ole Henry to bring a tear to the eye. 

animals before people.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:56am
< width="150" height="1200" ="http://ironbarkresources.com/misc/s.htm" border="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0">

The Bush Fire

Henry Lawson, 1905

Ah, better the thud of the deadly gun, and the crash of the bursting shell,
      Than the terrible silence where drought is fought out there in the western hell;
      And better the rattle of rifles near, or the thunder on deck at sea,
      Than the sound — most hellish of all to hear — of a fire where it should not be.

On the runs to the west of the Dingo Scrubs there was drought, and ruin, and death,
      And the sandstorm came from the dread north-east with the blast of a furnace-breath;
      Till at last one day, at the fierce sunrise, a boundary-rider woke,
      And saw, in the place of the distant haze, a curtain of light blue smoke.

There is saddling-up by the cockey's hut, and out in the station yard,
      And away to the north, north-east, north-west, the bushmen are riding hard.
      The pickets are out and many a scout, and many a mulga wire,
      While Bill and Jim, with their faces grim, are riding to meet the fire.

It roars for days in the hopeless scrubs, and across, where the ground seems bare,
      With a cackle and hiss, like the hissing of snakes, the fire is travelling there;
      Till at last, exhausted by sleeplessness, and the terrible toil and heat,
      The squatter is crying, 'My God! the wool!' and the farmer, 'My God! the wheat!'

But there comes a drunkard (who reels as he rides), with the news from the roadside pub: —
      'Pat Murphy — the cockey — cut off by the fire! — way back in the Dingo Scrub!'
      'Let the wheat and the woolshed go to — — ' Well, they do as each great heart bids;
      They are riding a race for the Dingo Scrub — for Pat and his wife and kids.

And who is leading the race with death? An ill-matched three, you'll allow;
      Flash Jim the breaker and Boozing Bill (who is riding steadily now),
      And Constable Dunn, of the Mounted Police, is riding between the two
      (He wants Flash Jim, but the job can wait till they get the Murphys through).

As they strike the track through the blazing scrub, the trooper is heard to shout:
      'We'll take them on to the Two-mile Tank, if we cannot bring them out!'
      A half-mile more, and the rest rein back, retreating, half-choked, halfblind;
      And the three are gone from the sight of men, and the bush fire roars behind.

The Bushman wiped the tears of smoke, and like Bushmen wept and swore;
      'Poor Bill will be wanting his drink to-night as never he did before.
      'And Dunn was the best in the whole damned force!' says a client of Dunn's, with pride;
      I reckon he'll serve his summons on Jim — when they get to the other side.

It is daylight again, and the fire is past, and the black scrub silent and grim,
      Except for the blaze of an old dead tree, or the crash of a falling limb;
      And the Bushmen are riding again on the run, with hearts and with eyes that fill,
      To look for the bodies of Constable Dunn, Flash Jim, and Boozing Bill.

They are found in the mud of the Two-mile Tank, where a fiend might scarce survive,
      But the Bushmen gather from words they hear that the bodies are much alive.
      There is Swearing Pat, with his grey beard singed, and his language of lurid hue,
      And his tough old wife, and his half-baked kids, and the three who dragged them through.

Old Pat is deploring his burnt-out home, and his wife the climate warm;
      And Jim the loss of his favourite horse, and Dunn his uniform;
      And Boozing Bill, with a raging thirst, is cursing the Dingo Scrub —
      He'll only ask for the loan of a flask and a lift to the nearest pub.

Flash Jim the Breaker is lying low — blue-paper is after him,
      And Dunn, the trooper, is riding his rounds with a blind eye out for Jim,
      And Boozing Bill is fighting D.Ts. in the township of Sudden Jerk —
      When they're wanted again in the Dingo Scrubs, they'll be there to do the work.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:43am
Henry Lawson,s poem, The Bushfire, written round early 1900s, tells a story about busfires which sounds very much like whats happening today.
animals before people.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:34am
Totally off the argument and politics of the thread, just thought I'd share what I saw on a film we watched the other night called 'Manganini'.
A film set in1830, about a Tasmanian aboriginal woman and a little white girl, it was very good, the opening scenes showed the white settlers riding along looking back at a burn off by the natives! Interesting this was portrayed in the film.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 11:05am

And I’m probably not the most intelligent either but I do know that if Alistair McLean looked at one of our horses and said ‘that tendon looks a bit iffy’, I wouldn’t disregard his advice because of his political leanings.

And neither would I for that matter Softy, very astute man fwiw.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:54am

In February I am about to pay my annual municipal rates and on the rates notice I see that I am being charged $373.90 for "Fire Levies ".Most property owners pay an annual levy via their council rates to help fund Victoria’s fire services. The Fire Services Property Levy, which is based on your property's capital improved value plus a fixed charge for all properties, helps fund the services provided by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) and Country Fire Authority (CFA). 

It is collected by local councils and usually appears on your rate notice., however local councils pass this levy on to the State Government where it is added to Consolidated Revenue.

I pose the question if the levy forms part of the government's Consolidated Revenue how much is actually given to the MFB and the CFA ? Would you trust any government to pass any levy fully if that government faces a shortfall in other budgetary areas ?

BTW, in addition to that levy I also had my own own home and contents insurance. Although living within 6 km of the Melbourne CBD, where bush fires will never happen, I am happy in some way to contribute to the Country Fire Authority, providing the state government distributes to that authority and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and not to fund other budgetary shortfalls. 
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:31am
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
Softy, you are an intelligent person so it is obvious your signature is not your belief. Can you remind me which total idiot made that statement Embarrassed
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:18am
One fact is that Morrison was warned quite early and done nothing.
Fact.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:17am
have to disagree Baguette - I would think that everyone wants a comprehensive and unbiased enquiry.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:06am
Things like this is why we need a Federal Inquiry into these bush fires and above all the commitment to act on its findings. I don’t know about Victoria but in NSW there are so many mistakes made that contributed to the destruction and these fires getting as huge as they did. Why were the aircraft not called in earlier to the Gosper Mountain fire for example ? Before it built into an impossible to control mega fire .There seems to be a disconnect between the RFS command with their computer models and the firies on the ground actually fighting the fires and who have local knowledge. The Fire Captain from Balmoral is a hero for what he did but unfortunately his experience was repeated across the fire grounds. We also need a clear cut program as to when the Federal Government can get involved in what at the moment is a state by state response . The vocal minority of Climate Change screechers don’t want a comprehensive inquiry of course. Can’t have the facts getting in the way of their narrative can we!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:30am

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 5:35pm
This letter from a fire fighter was published in this morning's press....

"WHAT does the federal government have to do with fighting fires? It is the responsibility of the states. Then again, perhaps they feds should take control, as hundreds of volunteers in Victoria have deserted due to Dan the Man’s union laws. How can a paid firefighter of one year be in charge of a volunteer group captain with 30-40 years’ experience? What a joke."
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

AA is very vocal, all her pent up resentments, hatreds for those more successful spewing out of her pursed little cake hole

LOLPot/kettle muchly ???
Try again , but do better next time.  Evil Smile
animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
Swim off, whale. Creepy dude.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
Good to see your back Whale!Thumbs Up
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Whale needs another holiday for that one.

good pathetic  try court jester 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Is your three bullshyte posts in the space of 4 or 5 minutes a record?  For today that is.Ermm

Yes indeed ... time you took a bex, wiped your chin, and had a lie down.Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>