Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Reward for Effort

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reward for Effort
    Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:24pm
Am I just unlucky? Presented a good conceiving mare on 3 occasions. Well set up every time, and only a 25 min drive as a walk-on but no joy.
Mare in very good condition breeding wise & healthwise.

I am perplexed or am I not alone?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:18am
I've no idea but I do know a friend presented a mare, identically to yours, to a top stallion & after the 3rd negative, went elsewhere for a successful single cover, so it could well be the horse Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
willow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:58am
we were advised he rarely misses any, but that person was biased.
Our mare the year before last in foal on one serve, although not a walk in.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 11:00am
I don't believe old wives tales but from "body Language" even though Tina was "hot on" she was more receptive to the teaser than R F E
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 11:28am
Sometimes, some mares will just not go in foal to a particular stallion for unknown reasons.  If he was having fertility issues, I'm sure the stud would be decent enough to let you know.  You could change to another stallion now, and she goes in foal straight away, and naturally people would immediately blame the stallion, despite that stallion already having got another 95 mares in foal that season.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 1:24pm
I agree Michael Thumbs Up I'm sure Tesio bred a champion (Nearco?) when the mare in question refused point blank to oblige with the 'superior' & handsome prospective suitor but fell in love with 'shabby Mr Nobody' Smile. I think Leilani had similar well documented ideas, may've been regarding a grey stallion.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 2:43pm
I've heard of stallions not liking grey mares either. I pretty famous one but for the life of me can't think of the name. Too much to do and so little time before Christmas. Brain has gone out on holiday already.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I agree Michael Thumbs Up I'm sure Tesio bred a champion (Nearco?) when the mare in question refused point blank to oblige with the 'superior' & handsome prospective suitor but fell in love with 'shabby Mr Nobody' Smile. I think Leilani had similar well documented ideas, may've been regarding a grey stallion.

I believe the stallion in question was Sovereign Edition. 
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 4:32pm
Sir Tristram and bounding away Embarrassed
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 6:06pm
This season we bred a mare to Easy Rocking for a client and she presented perfectly for each cover, had 3 covers and missed them all, now even at 18, ER is still a very fertile lad so it was decided to give her to Mahisara, what do you know, one cover and in foal, some mares just don't click with a stallion
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:08pm
Hello,
the mare you asked was Signorina (by St. Simon) and the very second class Sire was Chaleureux (by Goodfellow) and the result was Signorinetta (won Derby and Oaks). Btw, she was covered twice by this Sire.

Regards, Ticino
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:20pm
Tks Ticino.
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

I don't believe old wives tales but from "body Language" even though Tina was "hot on" she was more receptive to the teaser than R F E

Ah, the ladies always go wild for a 'bad boy'   
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 6:07pm
Great to see Reward For Effort with a headliner for Spring. He's going great guns, and everything I've heard from trainers with his stock says that they are very trainable horses, good to work with and improve a lot from when they're yearlings to when they're two-year-olds and get some work into them. Also they're not overly heavy horses so if you've got a nice colt you can leave it a colt without it getting too big.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 6:33pm
About a month ago was offered a nom to RFE for $7k all-inclusive.  Thought about it for a while but eventually knocked it back and decided on Street Boss at $8.8k.

Two weeks later Gold Symphony wins the Vain Stakes and I'm thinking "did I make a *#! blue here?" 

Then in the following race Petits Filous wins the Quezette Stakes and I'm thinking "hey, I made the right decision".   

But only time will tell.  Tongue

Banjo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

About a month ago was offered a nom to RFE for $7k all-inclusive.  Thought about it for a while but eventually knocked it back and decided on Street Boss at $8.8k.

Two weeks later Gold Symphony wins the Vain Stakes and I'm thinking "did I make a *#! blue here?" 

Then in the following race Petits Filous wins the Quezette Stakes and I'm thinking "hey, I made the right decision".   

But only time will tell.  Tongue

Owners of foals and yearlings of both sires are looking at good returns. Both are sires are on the up. I think they both will end up full time hunter valley sires. I like sires with a strong consistant producing dam line like RFE
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:19pm
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:01pm
No rearing bit or chain in their mouth gives them a nice sense of freedom, a great sight imo.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:26pm
Quite a surprise to see this fellow relocate mid-season follow the sudden closure of Chatswood Stud. 

Reward For Effort now joins the roster at Larneuk Stud, Euroa.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
Chatswood has been a disaster for a while now as you'd well appreciate VSP, all down to Greg Willis who I believe had little if no equity in the stallion.

So glad to see the horse has been relocated.  

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 9:00pm
Me too! He's been the dream 'bread n butter' stallion since his 1st runners hit the track; they handle wet & dry as well as several being group capable.
His mate Anacheeva is one I expected to do well but he's been very poor but maybe a change of scenery & environment would work wonders for him. No idea where he is tho' Confused

Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 10:17pm
riverbank i think gay

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:20pm
It is a sad moment for those oldies amongst us who had so much respect for Alan Willis who started Chatswood 49 years ago
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
More TB breeding history via the stud, gone.  Sad day.
Hope now the stallions get a fair go.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:23pm
And I believe two stakes winners including Outlaw's Revenge in  today's Christmas Hcp in Adelaide for the fellow since his sad demise just weeks ago.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 10:43am
Sad loss, this boy.  
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 8:39am
What happened to RFE? Neville’s place would have been perfect for him. Chatswood offered to pay the transport fees to put our mare to him a few years ago. They liked the bloodlines together, emulated a stakeswinner he got. We went to Excelebration and now we are left wondering what could have been.
 Like all breeders Wink He was a terrific stallion, bred copious winners. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 11:39am
Cant remember now Sister, but foot infection or something ?  Think I posted somewhere ? 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 11:41am
Look in Breeding, under Chatswood Stud.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 1:27pm

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (2) Thanks(2)
  Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 6:53pm - IP:
And to add to the disaster that Greg Willis oversaw, the following clearly suggests Reward For Effort had a serious pre-condition prior to his move to Larneuk:  Angry

Reward For Effort 

Larneuk are sad to announce the withdrawal of Reward for Effort for the remainder of the 2021 breeding season due to an ongoing foot abscess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>