Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Echuca horse sales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:54pm
A few good re-homing pages on Facebook, Gay will probably be able to help more, she has a few good connections
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:59pm
I've a close friend with her finger on the pulse & unfortunately it doesn't look good presently. Too many out to feather the nest &/or on ego trips. TB Gatekeeper only acts to help rehome with no money involved.
She's going to let me know.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
arc.racing75 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arc.racing75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 4:38pm
Along with Little Critter
Count Encosta
Go Trish
list goes on - no good

Reference to one D. Archard also below.

Edited by Gay3 - 22 Jul 2016 at 5:36pm
arc.racing75 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arc.racing75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 4:42pm
Yep makes my blood boil aswell!!
And wouldn't think he would pay for a vet certificate as vets are a waste of money apparently -
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:09pm
Thanks guys.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I've a close friend with her finger on the pulse & unfortunately it doesn't look good presently. Too many out to feather the nest &/or on ego trips. TB Gatekeeper only acts to help rehome with no money involved.

The latest advice is not to donate to any Vic rescue no matter how genuine they appear - great indictment aye? Angry

In the case of Gatekeeper knowing an owner offering a home but struggling with the immediate outlay (travelling costs usually) I'll post details on the TB G'keeper thread. This is the only way to guarantee any funds aren't abused Smile
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:17pm
Thanks Beliskner for asking about donations and thanks Gay for answering!

I have been thinking for a while that I should donate my (meagre) punting profits to TB rescue. (And surely the good karma will thence increase my profits! )

But am also distrustful of most horse rescue people/groups, especially after some recent controversies.

The Gatekeeper, though, appears to deserve all the help they can get. Love reading about their work (sad as the horses' stories are) and I wouldn't hesitate to donate to them if I can.
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:25pm
I was initially horrified to see Mitchell Freedman listed as the trainer of that last filly - thank goodness he cleared that up.
Shows the power of bringing attention to these horses, though. Keep up the good work people

And what a kind eye she has - heartbreaking.
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:11pm
Hi Belisker, if you go on facebook to Rescue Horse Foster Homes.  These are a group who chip in every week to save these unwanted horses. They go to a foster home first and get fed up and/ or retrained and when they are ready they are given away on a FREE LEASE.  This way the group can make sure they are not sold on. 
  Great group, I'm a member and so are about 50 of my friends.  

They try to get someone to every sale, but sometimes the doggers pick them up for about $250 and then offer them back to the group for $800 or more. As sholes

www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
jayzaa View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayzaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:12pm
Gatekeeper really want the pretty ones, with no issues

www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:14am
Gatekeeper simply post requests from any who want to buy, lease, sell or giveaway horses, they don't accept or need money nor do they differentiate between ugly, pretty, old or noncommercial.

Their mission as per the FB page:

Run by Lornita Papworth and Kylie Stephenson as Thoroughbred Avocates

The GateKeeper is implemented when Thoroughbreds enter the Saleyard, Dealers, for free ads or Knackeries.
Based on these horses fitting certain Breeding or racing propositions to be rehomed back into the Industry.
The GateKeeper's role is to complete research on breeding or background history to determine suitability. This ensures selected horses have a 2nd chance.
The role of the GateKeeper is not a Rescue Group as potential buyers are in fact Rescuing and utilising the Thoroughbred themselves.
The Gatekeeper on occasions acccepts horses at our own discretion who are personally overseen under the gatekeeper logo and our guidelines
Services provided are not for Profit and put in place for the benefit of the Thoroughbred and the great members within the Industry.

Jayzaa, the trouble with many of those 'rescues' is that their egos cause inflated prices when each tries to outdo the other in bidding duels. The abbatoirs will still fillt their quotas & far better to allow them to take the old & injured ones, than rescues spend a fortune on vets to patch them up so they can spend a few more years in a paddock, to the detriment of healthy & potentially useful youngsters.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:10pm
Good to know Thumbs Up

I will be scanning for RVL tomorrow at Echuca
and
Pakenham on Saturday

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:13pm
Would not be surprised if at some stage in the next few weeks a horse called LEVERACTION turns up here.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:11pm
Dumped at Echuca today is $100k winner Cosentino, was sold last year at an Inglis sale for 4000 to Inglis as agent
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:36pm
12 year old gelding bred by Vella Pty Ltd.
Unless the horse is bad news , one would think he wouldnt be too difficult to rehome ??  If they cared to try .
100k winner ends up at a sale yard Cry.
Deary me.

animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:58pm

COSENTINO (NZ)

8yo Chestnut Gelding
D.O.B: 15-Sep-2007
by CHOISIR  from VEGA SICILIA (NZ)
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:07pm
Worst one i heard of was a black-type winner in USA, and i don't think it was a cheap listed win but actually a grade 2 or 3, and had very decent prizemoney aswell.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:34pm
Woops,,, thanks Shawy. I obviously cant take 07 from 16 and come up with the right answer Embarrassed
Maths was never my strong point .Cry
How about Ferdinand , who won a Kentucky Derby, exported to Japan and ended up dogged ?
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:40pm
Well to be fair there aa.  The USA did protest when they found out.  He was sold for stud and failed (not sure if infurtile or what) but the original owners would of bought him back for retirement at one of the champion set ups.  Like France the Japanese have horses on the table like cows and sheep.  
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:40pm

The latest advice is not to donate to any Vic rescue no matter how genuine they appear - great indictment aye? Angry

In the case of Gatekeeper knowing an owner offering a home but struggling with the immediate outlay (travelling costs usually) I'll post details on the TB G'keeper thread. This is the only way to guarantee any funds aren't abused Smile

In correct. The Horse Sheppherd are fine to donate to, they took the Bulla horses and are doing an awesome job with them. Harmony Reins is also a good rescue.

I would not touch Rescue Horses Foster Homes, they are a mess and have had horses die and be starved because they don't check up on them.

Gatekeeper really pick and choose, and tend to only take mares they can breed with and resell later in the online auctions, so they don't really keep to their own policy.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:49pm
After Ferdinand, wasn't there clauses put into sales contracts of horses to Japan to make sure something like that never happened again?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:53pm
I keep saying Gatekeeper only rehome TBs & do not accept any type of charity so I don't know why they keep being brought up; they're out of the donation equation.
As far as I understand, Horse Shepherd are not funding the Bulla horses, Vic Racing is, tho' they're not backward in taking the credit.
I stand by what I've been told by someone with nothing to gain by stating her lack of confidence in any.
jayzaa has the fullest confidence in RHFH & clearly doesn't know what you do Einstein, so I'm only advising to err on the side of caution & for what it's worth, that's my mail too (disarray, starving to death).
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:20pm
Specifically, TB Gatekeeper endeavours to identify TBs in the few hours prior to sale & can't do this untill someone arrives to relay brands. They then find out as much as possible about them & post on FB hoping someone will buy the horse at auction the price, usually $400 - $500. In the event of any passing on to an abb. or Depot In Transit, a price of $800 - $1k is then needed which will be the case today for a Not A Single Doubt mare who wasn't id'd in time.
Only TB knowledgeable homes are sought & occasionally, although someone is happy to take the horse, they haven't the ready cash, so others will chip in to get the animal out before it's processed.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:29pm
Is it true of Abbatoir's buying horses at a minimum, asking for double or 3 times the price they paid, and then essentially engaging in a form of emotional blackmail to the people who they know try to rehome horses?
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 8:39pm
Pretty much Beliskner. All about the $$
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 12:42am
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Well to be fair there aa.  The USA did protest when they found out.  He was sold for stud and failed (not sure if infurtile or what) but the original owners would of bought him back for retirement at one of the champion set ups.  Like France the Japanese have horses on the table like cows and sheep.  

Yes.   True .   If the US owners had been informed , they would certainly have brought him back.  But they wernt,  so a Kentucky Derby winner went for dog food.  
There is a place near Lexington called Old Friends Farm.
They have 2 places now,,,the one at Lexington is wonderful.   Some famous horses there .
Set up by a bloke horrified as to what happened to Ferdinand .  He has a life size statue of him on the farm.
The place is a not for profit ,,,and they repat good horses.   Some wealthy owners contribute to bring horses back from overseas.  
And other locals find a home there.
Google and have a look at some of the horses they have there .  
At least some of them get a break.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 12:57am
Forgot to add .  
Living Legends in Melb do a good job .  
Its wonderful to see the famous horses homed .
Now lets concentrate on the little fish.
If we,,who love the TBs and racing,  dont,  then lets look at going the same way as the greyhounds, if heads dont come out of the sand,  and  bodies who run this show dont smarten up, and find ways to stop horses  being dumped at doggers sales .
Seriously !!    A 100k winner ends up at Eucha ???    What are these owners thinking ???  
So, maybe they onsold , and the home didnt work out.  But, how hard is it to say at time of sale ,,look, if this horse doesnt measure up , just lets know.  
I have argued this point over and over ,,here,,over quite a few years now.
And my point has always been the same.
We, us, that love this game, and the TBs ,  must be seen to be pro active with the welfare of the horses.
If not,,,its just a matter of time before the libbers do a job on racing just like they did on the greys.  
animals before people.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:16am
I would really like to see RV money go to some sort of re-homing program, similar what they have in the greyhound industry.

Just think if you took 500k off the Melbourne Cup what that money would do for a group doing re-homing, re-training, re-purposing etc.

And while it's not the nicest thing to talk about, also to make sure there is humane euthanasian of older and sicker horses, i would rather horses are humanely put down then sent to the doggers.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:24am
RV could start with a small, pilot program for 12 months, don't have to invest an arm and a leg in it, just enough to make it competent and productive, not something absurd like an average of 10k per horse helped.

Also, perhaps we need to look into an overall strategy of breeding less thoroughbred horses.

I think people who want to own more then a certain amount of broodmares should be required to obtain some sort of approval or license, and part of this is demonstrating the financial resources to reduce the change of a Bulla-esque situation happening, while i loathe red tape and bureaucracies, i think some sort of strategy needs to be put in place, we breed too many thoroughbred horses.

Also another idea, create some sort of public agreement for the big time owners with several dozen horses, who all commit that they will NOT sell any horse directly to doggers, this might also involve Inglis and MM refusing to allow doggers to buy horses at their auctions.

I know its kind of pie-in-the-sky stuff, but i definitely think there is public support for ideas what would deliver such outcomes.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:45am
I like your ideas, Beliskner.
But you wont get much support form the top end of the industry.
Breeding less horses will put you in the kill basket for the big studs.
More money to rehoming.  Yes.
Euth of horses,,,yes. 
In fact a lot of what you say is good.
But get the powers that be,  and the big money players to buy into it..
Good luck with that.
When in fact all of us should be buying into these ideas and suggestions. 
Before Peta and others force us to .

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>