Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Echuca horse sales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:00pm
Shayne Rogers I bought the Skilled gelding a few weeks back from Echuca sales AKA Laddie.
Hope he can do the same. Hes a gorgeous boy already loving his new home. We are hoping to lease share him soon. 😀😀😀😀😀

Lee Purchase Hi Shayne Rogers I led him in the ring at the Inglis sales.. He did not deserve to be where he ended up and that even came from my boss when I told him.. Huge good lucks with him.. Hope he wins a race for u
"Boss" = Weir

Shayne Rogers Hi Lee Purchase. I was just discussing you with my good friend Renee quilty. Lol 😂😂😂
Were your ears burning 😂😂😂
Renee mentioned all the great work you do over that way.
He is
a gorgeous loving boy who just needed some time.
Would be great to keep in contact with you with his progress.
Thanks Lee.

Lee rehomes all Weirs unless owners have already placed them. Some feat considering the huge numbers but remarkably the 'sacked' paddock is quite often empty Star
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 6:56pm
shame other trainers dont have a sacked paddock.
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:01pm
Henning wins again
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm
And Captain Material btn a whisker into 2nd at Hanging Rock on NYD. He's a J & S Laxon escapee in shocking order at the time.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:37pm
Captain Material from this:

TO

Career:  5-1-2-0    Prizemoney: $5,270 
Last Three Runs
PosDateTrackDistClassJockeyBrWgtPriceFirst/Second
1 of 1013/01/2018HEAL Good1000PIC-MDN-SWT Lake267$1.602 Chula 0-58.69
2 of 101/01/2018H RK Good1000MDN-SWC Quilty458.5$71 Champagne Pearl 0-59.75
6 of 822/12/2017Y VL Good12004UP MDN-SWJ Eaton256.5$311 City of Pearls 1-10.79

Edited by Gay3 - 13 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:41pm
Brilliant
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:53pm
Great to see him come back.  How much did they pay for him out of the pens ??
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:09am
He was purchased from the knackery for $800 (probably $350 at auction) as an unraced early 3yo sent in by John & Sheila Laxon Ouch
Note the hind shoe hanging off, they couldn't even be bothered to pull his shoes!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:15am
Time this sort of thing was cracked down on.  Unraced Censored and too lazy to remove shoes even.   Great advertisement for the stable Thumbs Down
animals before people.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:36pm
you gotta luv stories like this, just gotta.......he looks happy as, one of the lucky ones, bless those that aren't.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Time this sort of thing was cracked down on.  Unraced Censored and too lazy to remove shoes even.   Great advertisement for the stable Thumbs Down

Didn’t these guys defraud a whole pack of owners and get sued?
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:27pm
Yes but I think it was mainly involving the Butlers &  Mr Fielding.

This makes for interesting reading & explains why stock were likely not to have been afforded the level of care most would expect from an A grade trainer.

http://sociallitigator.com/2014/10/29/trainers-and-owners-beware-sheila-laxon-john-symons-judgment-offers-lessons-for-all/
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:35pm
yes, and many was the time i would have liked to have said mr owner whats your address and i will send your horse back.

many is the time the trainer is left with the horse and its welfare because owners dont understand that until ongoing arrangement is made the horse still needs looking after, and owners dont like ongoing bills for an animal not racing.

most trainers live with and build the relationship with the horse, not the owner.

sometimes the quicker solution has to happen.

nip it in the bud? look at the breeding side of things.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:44pm
They had to leave Vic in a hurry. Mortgagee seized property so Horses that we’re unable to be taken to owners properties or moved to Qld were just dumped at Echuca on the way through
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:13pm
BY Grace Ramage racing.com
While most eyes were focused on the Magic Millions raceday, a heartfelt story was unfolding at Healesville.

The Robert Kingston-trained Captain Material broke his maiden after just four starts in the 1000m event, which is a nice little feat in itself.

But when you consider the six-year-old’s backstory and how at one stage he was just days away from the knackery, it means so much more.

“The story of Captain Material is wonderful, it’s a proper rescue story,” Mornington-based Robert Kingston told Racing.com on Sunday.

“Kylie Stevenson [now managing owner] and a group of like-minded ladies keep a close eye on what is going on and what is going through the Echuca Sales.

“Three years ago they saw that this particular horse was sold to Laverton Pet Supplies, so they contacted them and they were able to rescue him for $500 or something like that.

“Kylie had him at her property for about 12 months and then the group all pitched in and decided to put him in training.

“He came to me last April and since the day he arrived he eats like a horse who was deprived of food at some stage in his life.

He is such a happy horse now and he’s a pretty little fella, he is only 15 hands and he is such an easy horse to train.

“He is a pleasure to have around the stable, he is happy to be here and we are happy to have him.”

Kingston and the ownership group were overjoyed by Captain Material’s efforts on Saturday and the young horseman is confident the gelding will be able to go on with it now and get another win on the board when they take him to the races again in a few weeks.

“Most of the owners were at Healesville and they were over the moon, they were so delighted,” explained Kingston.

“The horse had run second at Hanging Rock the start before and even though picnics prizemoney isn’t great, I said to the owners I think we should go there and get a win with him.

“The owners went nuts posting pictures. For them it felt like it was better than winning the Magic Millions yesterday, there are more pictures of Captain Material on Facebook I can tell you.

“I don’t think [Saturday’s win] will be the finish of him at all, I imagine he’ll win more races.

“Over the 1000m course yesterday he ran 58.5 so I don’t think he’ll be restricted to the picnics.

“On Australia day there are two or three options for him. We can go back to Hanging Rock if we decide and there’s also a 1000m race at Mornington, so we’ll make a decision.”

The day was made even better for Kingston by saddling three winners around Victoria, two at Healesville and one at Werribee.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 5:18pm
Brooke Douglas to Thoroughbred GateKeeper
1 min ·

While a crowd of 100 strong at the Marquee at Balnarring are busy celebrating, I'll announce the now famous Captain Material has once again brought home the biscuits with a 4.75 length win, with the 3rd horse another 2.75 lengths behind.

There will be more to come from all involved, at the moment I dare say they are busy celebrating.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:34pm
Congrats to them, pd $1:40 so sounds like he was backed too
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
LOL. Good on them. I think all 100 owners were on it. Clap
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:13pm
Robbie doesn't mind a decent bet either, he said on racing.com after the previous win that he couldn't believe the odds & had a good lash Big smile
He is Irish after all LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:14am
Henning won yet again the other night at Pakenham but the sales go on regardless, with tireless workers pushing to help TBs avoid the abbatoirs.
I've seen photos of those that were there yesterday & most were lovely types, youngsters obviously not deemed fast enough & highly educated off trackers whose owners innocently believed they'd go to a good home by stating "No kill buyers" on their card outside the pen.
Facebook has been the saviour of many Smile

So today we went to the sales - 15 tbs and 13 were rehomed to good homes.
I fell in love again - so welcome Jazz Pen 63 , smooching with DJ ( Johnny Fiasco) from Pakenham sales last week .
After a hard day it's all worth it - congratulations to everyone that bought today.
Heart felt thanks - well done

anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:44am
Many of these TB’s were also listed as “retired to equestrian” and sent straight to the sales, some in awful condition. It’s time RVL actually started doing something about this rather than relying on the good hearts of volunteers. 2% “prizemoney” deducted for welfare -where is this going?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:21pm
Didn't Deirdre train a Brisbane Cup winner?
Lucky boy thanks to Facebook networking Big smile

The sad side of racing our retired racehorses. Here is SENSE OF PLAY winner of nearly $1000,000 yet here he is at Maffra knackery hoping someone will rescue him. Last raced Oct '17

He has his last chance of finding a saviour for only a few days. I do not know his history or how he was retired to a supposed good home or straight into a sale at Echuca yesterday to take his chance.

Well his chance of living depends on someone saving him. It breaks my heart to see these horses ending up at these places when they still have so much to give us.

Laura Cheshire Just spoke to trainer he said they've been in touch, horse is safe. If someone could get onto the dogger and confirm this, that would be excellent.

Laura Cheshire Horse was given to a family member wouldn't settle so given away to someone else who has put him through the sale ring and ultimately almost sealed his fate as dog food. They will be speaking with this woman.

Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Many of these TB’s were also listed as “retired to equestrian” and sent straight to the sales, some in awful condition. It’s time RVL actually started doing something about this rather than relying on the good hearts of volunteers. 2% “prizemoney” deducted for welfare -where is this going?
Most of the times they are retired to an equestrian home, but then these people send them to the sales to make quick cash after conning the trainer.Dead
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:56pm
Hi Gay......Deidre Stein did a bit better than a Brisbane Cup.

Her mighty galloper RISING PRINCE had a resume that included:

WS Cox Plate 2050m
Mackinnon Stks 2000m
Chipping Norton Stks 1600m
AJC Queen Elizabeth Stks 2000m
Villiers Hcp 1600m
Summer Cup 2400m

Not bad for an unfashionably bred horse that cost $2800 as a yearling.
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:59pm
Not sure about a Brisbane Cup but she trained a Cox Plate winner in Rising Prince.
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Hi Gay......Deidre Stein did a bit better than a Brisbane Cup.

Her mighty galloper RISING PRINCE had a resume that included:

WS Cox Plate 2050m
Mackinnon Stks 2000m
Chipping Norton Stks 1600m
AJC Queen Elizabeth Stks 2000m
Villiers Hcp 1600m
Summer Cup 2400m

Not bad for an unfashionably bred horse that cost $2800 as a yearling.

Beat me to it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 12:46pm
Thanks guys for the memory jog, I knew she had a huge claim to fame & yes of course, Rising Prince Big smile
She's doing a wonderful job with OTTBs & the pics (don't need to post) a heap of them having fun on the beach with their new lessors as well as showing & jumping.

Deirdre Stein to Racing Australia

I wish to thank everyone who responded to SENSE OF PLAY and his sad state that has ended well.

I take and rehome a lot of OTT here on our property 1/2 way between BRISBANE AND THE GOLD COAST. Fortunately we have the perfect property to do this and the ideal location. To do this I lease these horses out on property where we look after them and the lessees pay for their feed. This way they get a free horse and the horse gets it forever home here to train for their own use.

They become Show Hacks, eventers, show jumpers, dressage horses, polo ponies or just trail riding. It is the perfect outlook for both horse and rider. Here are some photos of the lucky horses here

Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

He was purchased from the knackery for $800 (probably $350 at auction) as an unraced early 3yo sent in by John & Sheila Laxon Ouch
Note the hind shoe hanging off, they couldn't even be bothered to pull his shoes!

Oh gelati that's sad.

To the untrained eye all is ok.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:01am
Oh *gelati that's sad.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:31pm
Racing.com is feeling proud.
23 hrs ·

What a beautiful story. Ahsha - a mare Debbie Wills rescued from the Echuca sales - and Special Feeling provided the hobby trainer with her first double on the weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>