Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Echuca horse sales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 8:32am
There are so many ppl willing to help that the 'anti' groups are totally unaware of but fortunately, it was an anti jumps group who publicised it & I must add, were very helpful.
Thousands of offers to save him were fielded including one from staff where he was broken in in NZ Thumbs Up
My source is fairly certain the owners were told a perfect home had been found, the week before the sale but many unscrulous types are now operating in Vic whereby they dupe owners into believing they're offering paradise on Earth, only to onsell quickly thru' the yards Angry  This appears to be the case with White Knight & the tough jumping mare Beach D'Or several months ago who also was saved.
The dealer who bought him at Echuca tho' connected to a knackery, only purchases horses to onsell for riding etc. hence the inflated price of $1200 from the initial $450.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 1:02pm
Great to see the Vic DPI so proactive, strangles cases have been coming thru' Echuca yards for over a month now with 2 sales per fortnight, namely Weds. & Fridays.

This on FB today:

Important!!! Anyone who buys horses from Echuca market has to immediately Quarantine all horses as there is a strangles outbreak which has not been dealt with!! Reality is- most horses will go direct to slaughter as the DPI have not closed down the Saleyard and stopped the movement of horses!!!

Important notice!! We have reports of horses who have contracted Strangles from Echuca Saleyards over the last 4 weeks! Any horse who has been through this Saleyard MUST be quarantined away from any horses to stop the spread of this nasty disease!
We at the Gatekeeper believe the sales should be shut down immediately to control and stop the spread of Strangles- although the DPI have not done anything to date! We need to protect the industry- and unfortunately most horses that go thru this sale yard will be processed!
Prices have never been so low - so we believe this is a reflection of this Strangles outbreak!
In conclusion, I am not saying do not buy - just be aware and Quarantine !

Judy Ramsey Im suprised it hasnt been shut down for a little while. Give the place a good scrub and clean out. Give a chance to those that are destined for that place in the coming weeks not to bring it home with them.
DPI seemed more concerned about lice on sheep. You cop an on the spot fine with that. The attitude about strangles is like 'pffft'

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Aug 2015 at 1:06pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:59am
An example of what's happening to TBs every fortnight at Echuca & no doubt, elsewhere Ouch

Leanne Warren Where is this horse still for sale
Like · Reply · 1 · 45 mins
Lynne Aitken
Lynne Aitken He is at Shepp knackery ..go to Shepp Second Chance Horses ...
Leanne Warren
Leanne Warren Ok do u know why he wasn't brought
Lynne Aitken
Lynne Aitken There were just so many ..
Lynne Aitken
Lynne Aitken Just think he was unlucky ....Graeme Daffy said so many beautiful gentle horses there yesterday ..
EdenLibby Nicholls
EdenLibby Nicholls Lots of lovely quiet horses there yesterday but very few bidders. Was a very sad day
Lynne Aitken
Lynne Aitken I could hardly look actually

Christine Daffy So many horses there yesterday and so few people to buy them.Thats why lots went to LPS or Shepp. Not because there was anything wrong with them. Very Sad
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 mins · Edited

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Dec 2015 at 9:02am
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:18am
Breaks my heart every time.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:34am
Unfortunately, no matter how fastidiously rehomed after racing, they, like all others in the sales, become victim of owners who no longer want or are able to continue caring for them. I realise death is inevitable but the stress of leaving their home & friends, getting dumped in saleyards, followed by the stench of death shortly prior to their demise, appalls me.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:08pm

Bargain buy Georgia on my mind

• 12:00pm
  • |Daniel Miles
Tycoon Georgia

Most of the crowd has dispersed by the time a scrawny daughter of Written Tycoon made her way through the Echuca and District Livestock Exchange sale ring in late 2012.

The sting of the summer sun was slowly creeping across the sky, warming the vast complex’s tin roof as the well-bred filly sauntered, head slung low, through the undercover ring before a group of largely uninterested onlookers.

Little more than skin and bones, the unraced, unnamed two-year-old thoroughbred spent no more than a minute in the ring before being purchased for just $280.

There were only two bidders present at the time. Luckily for the filly, one of them was on behalf of Meagan Abaloz.

Abaloz had fallen in love with the young horse less than 12 hours earlier, having seen a photo of the filly on Facebook.

However, this was no conventional love story.

According to Abaloz, the unnamed youngster looked down for the count. She was thin, her coat was dull and there were more than just a few ribs on display.

But there was also something different about her, something that Abaloz couldn’t help but notice.

“She was just so broken. She had no life in her and her eye – it was just so sad,” Abaloz said.

Inspired rather than deterred, Abaloz committed to purchasing the filly – no matter the cost.

After an anxious fortnight’s wait for the filly to arrive, she was finally united with her purchase and took the young horse straight to a paddock filled with knee-high grass.

The filly was thrilled.

A veterinary inspection revealed a broken nose (the cause of her apparent wind-sucking), some obvious malnourishment and a bit of swelling, but after a brief period of rehabilitation the precocious bay was back bucking her brands off.

Abaloz, foreman to Pakenham trainer Dianne Clover at the time, recognised a desire to work in her filly and as such, entered the young horse to her employer’s care.

Given the name Tycoon Georgia, Abaloz’s filly thrived.

After an inglorious debut at Geelong in July 2013 – “She was so green she zig-zagged the entire straight” Abaloz said – Tycoon Georgia transitioned to the picnic racing scene where she’s been a constant inspiration to her owner.

The horse that no one wanted, that no one gave a second glance or hope, had finally found her feet.

Tycoon Georgia
Tycoon Georgia nuzzles her paddock mate. 

A third placing at Woolamai at her second career start led to a desperately close second three weeks later at the same track.

Abaloz was overcome with a sense of achievement.

“She’s pretty special. She may not be the fastest horse going around on the track but she gives 110 percent every time she goes out there and tries her heart out,” she said.

Abaloz continued to fall for her prized filly and within no time the pair were inseparable.

She even committed to inking Tycoon Georgia’s name across her ankle once she broke her maiden status.

Too excited to wait, and too in love to care, ink hit skin in the midst of her Tycoon Georgia’s second racing prep.

Fortunately for Abaloz, her racing star came through with a win at her sixth start over 1050m at Balnarring.

However Tycoon Georgia is more than just an honest horse.

“She means more to me as a companion than a racehorse,” Abaloz said.

“But she loves racing which is why she does it.

“She’ll never be making me money – we’ve had some fair vet bills in our time – but I couldn’t care less if she never makes me another dollar in her life, as long as she gets around that track sound and comes back to me safe, I’m happy.”

Tycoon Georgia is now trained by Abaloz’s current employer, Paul Kramer, and is tentatively eyeing off start number 11 at Drouin Racecourse on Boxing Day.

Abaloz thinks Tycoon Georgia’s due for her second career win, and she says there’s always room for another photo on the living room wall.

But the racetrack outings aren’t for the wins, the prizemoney or even the bragging rights. They’re for Tycoon Georgia.

“Racing with her isn’t about winning, to me it’s about her being happy and doing what she enjoys doing,” she said.

“This horse means the world to me, she’s absolutely beautiful. When she shows me she’s ready to stop that’ll be it.

“She’s found her forever home here with me.”

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Unfortunately, no matter how fastidiously rehomed after racing, they, like all others in the sales, become victim of owners who no longer want or are able to continue caring for them. I realise death is inevitable but the stress of leaving their home & friends, getting dumped in saleyards, followed by the stench of death shortly prior to their demise, appalls me.

yep.   appalls me too.  if you no longer want,  or have use for , the animal,  at least have the decency to give it a kind end. 
how hard is that,, FF$  ????   
oh yeah.  i forgot.  suck that very last dollar out of the animal,  be greedy,  bugga kindness .
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:31pm
Another lucky soul thanks to social media!

PEN 89 this poor kid has well and truly given up he honestly didn't want a bar of us as you can see from his photos he is in desperate need of a rescue home who has the time to see him back to health he is really a sweet boy
approx 15.3HH

Langer 5yo by Artie Schiller goes to this lady: Ashlee Potter Rehabilitation to Begin with but in the long run I believe he would make an amazing hack we are very experienced with horses I am a vet nurse an we have 130 acres so he would get what he needs.
Kristen Manning it was quite the drama too!
Kristen Manning a long story this one but all's well that ends well. Needless to say his original owner was horrified that he ended up this way

Kristen Manning
Kristen Manning quick thinking by Kylie saved the day!

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 1:33pm
Kylie Stephenson to Thoroughbred GateKeeper
1 hr ·

Thanks to an unbelievable team effort between many rescue groups, the lovely Flying Spur mare Miss Longueville who has already seen herself go thru Echuca twice in the last month and ended up at Shep (processing plant) is SAFE
She will be entered into the Gatekeeper program and will head to one of the most amazing friends Jane Morgan

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 9:48pm
Embedded image permalink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 9:51pm
In case anyone's interested, this Savabeel mare went thru' Echuca today & was bought by Shepp. meats.
Kylie Stephenson She is av for a short time at shep for 700
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 1:38pm
Kylie Stephenson to Thoroughbred GateKeeper
12 hrs ·

SOLD great news

This mare is a good example of why to watch the Thoroughbred Gatekeeper and see what goes thru Echuca sales

Kylie Stephenson
Kylie Stephenson Thanks for the interest shown in this lovely mare
Would like to congratulate Cathryn Kelly And Adam Warren in purchasing this cracking mare
Purchased by Victorian Breeders
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 3:58pm
Count Encosta  somehow this poor guy ended up in the sales but thru' social media, has found a super home despite a damaged flexor tendon Clap

Corinna Slade
Corinna Slade From Brooke; We will get him home. See how bad his tendon injury is. His first track rider Amiee is an excellent eventer and has history with managing tendon injuries in retired race horses. No doubt he will be loved till the end of his days with the people who started his racing career. He may even make it to the show ring. Fingers crossed for Count Encosta's bright future.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:08pm
Another one from the Archards
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:09pm
Oh no Angry does he have any morals towards animals?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:11pm
Nearly all his horses end up at those sales.
Encosta was trained by Weir when he was injured but the Archards still owned him and took him to Echuca.

mowie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:17pm

bit rich! do you know daz? gay you do understand he has saved some from the sales?meat man? can't save them all sadly
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Another one from the Archards

Care to enlighten us as to who this person is ???  Please ??
animals before people.
Oritah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oritah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 10:35pm
Local Echuca Trainer Unhappy acacia 

Lawyer
Oritah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oritah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by mowie mowie wrote:

bit rich! do you know daz? gay you do understand he has saved some from the sales?meat man? can't save them all sadly

Really.... which one? 

Lawyer
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Oritah Oritah wrote:

Really.... which one? 

OK .  So I get the drift now.
Horses just get the flick if they are not paying their way ????
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  rule Thumbs Down
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Oritah Oritah wrote:

Local Echuca Trainer Unhappy acacia 

Oh.  One of those .  Cry   Couldnt  train a greyhound to run out of sight on a dark night Censored ??????????
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:48pm

Saved? Yeah, those he thought he could make an earn out of Disapprove & when they're too damaged to do that, they go direct to the meat pens.
Wednesday sales disallow brand broadcasting on social media but luckily for the Count, he went thru' on Friday with the winning bid amounting to a whole $420, one above the meat buyer & would've been higher had he been in decent condition Ermm
A rather damning post on FB tonight:

What have Count Encosta and Little Critter got in common?

- both ended up at Echuca Sales
- both saved against the meatman
- both had previous injuries
- both had the same owners/s

And were not sent there after been given to a good home!!!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:56pm
They did the same thing to Go Trish as well.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:25pm
40 TBs there today, guess it's due to drought conditions & winter not far away Cry
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 11:07am
Count Encosta - great news!

Our Count - The People's Horse
He's limited in how much work he can have. Light trotting and gentle exercise are within his capabilities. He's being retrained to take up a position at the Sydney riding for the disabled. Where he will walk around on the lead with beginners.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 12:21am
"Jumps racing gives horses a second chance"
"Jumps racing keeps horses out the knackery"

Yesterday we were alerted to the fact that Eric Musgrove trained horses SINGERSONGWRITER and WILARI were at Pakenham Sales.
SINGERSONGWRITER - with $59,0000 in prize money and 12 jumps races to her name - raced a month ago at Warrnambool where she ran 4/5 in a hurdle race. Yesterday she appeared at the sales still wearing her race plates. She is nursing a tendon injury.

WILARI with $43,000 in prize money and 2 jumps races to her name - last raced over the hurdles in 2014 and appeared along side SINGERSONGWRITER at the sales.

Both were bid on by kill buyers.

Wilari's profile shows her as "retired" Singersongwriter is shown as still actively trained by Musgrove. No doubt in the next few weeks she will show up "Retired" as well.

Where is the accountability? How does this continue to happen?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 12:21am
Thankfully both the above were saved
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:23am
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

"Jumps racing gives horses a second chance"
"Jumps racing keeps horses out the knackery"

Yesterday we were alerted to the fact that Eric Musgrove trained horses SINGERSONGWRITER and WILARI were at Pakenham Sales.
SINGERSONGWRITER - with $59,0000 in prize money and 12 jumps races to her name - raced a month ago at Warrnambool where she ran 4/5 in a hurdle race. Yesterday she appeared at the sales still wearing her race plates. She is nursing a tendon injury.

WILARI with $43,000 in prize money and 2 jumps races to her name - last raced over the hurdles in 2014 and appeared along side SINGERSONGWRITER at the sales.

Both were bid on by kill buyers.

Wilari's profile shows her as "retired" Singersongwriter is shown as still actively trained by Musgrove. No doubt in the next few weeks she will show up "Retired" as well.

Where is the accountability? How does this continue to happen?

Muscgrove has been sending his horses to Pakenham markets for years. Has no morals. Instead of taking 5 minutes to advertise them through horse deals or social media, where he would get quite good money for them (uninjured) but still at least $500 for those injured but still rehabable, he takes the easy way out.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Thankfully both the above were saved

Thats good to hear.
Maybe its time for anyone that cares , to start naming and shaming , all over the place .
Not just the trainers, but dont the owners have some say in where their horses end up ?
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>