Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Winx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 177>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:26am
What's the biggest danger in the Chipping Norton, not counting jockey error or missing the start? Will Humidor be there? I can't think of any dangerous milers off the top of my head except him. Weir says Tosen Stardom will be set for Aus Cup so can't see him in Chipping Norton.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
Humidor is still spelling isn’t he?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Humidor is still spelling isn’t he?

I don't know. So that leaves what to give Winx a race in Chipping Norton?
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
https://www.racing.com/news/2018-02-06/humidor-unlikely-for-orr-australian-cup

Interesting observation re TOSEN STARDOM

Humidor unlikely for Orr, Australian Cup

Andrew Eddy (@fastisheddy) & Grace Ramage (@gramage_)

6 February, 2018

, (

Cox Plate runner-up HUMIDOR is unlikely to return to racing in Saturday's C.F. Orr Stakes at Caulfield and is far from certain to chase next month's Australian Cup at Flemington.

Trainer Darren Weir's right-hand man Jarrod McLean said from Terang on Tuesday morning that the horse that stretched Winx in her third Cox Plate victory last October is slightly behind in his autumn preparation and his ultimate goal this campaign might shift towards a Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Randwick or even a Doomben Cup.

"He's a little bit behind," McLean conceded. "If he gets to the Australian Cup he gets there but at this stage races like the Queen Elizabeth and Doomben Cup in May are real good targets for him.

"There's no real hurry or urgency to get him to an Australian Cup."

Humidor followed his run behind Winx with a disappointing 19th in the Melbourne Cup before going for a spell. McLean said the horse preferred to be in work.

"He's not a horse that does great in the paddock," he said. "If he was to race on Saturday, he'd be a bit underdone.

"He's nominated for Saturday but at this stage I am told we'll give him one more trial and then head to the Futurity first-up."

Weir is certain to have a strong hand in the Orr Stakes despite the likely absence of Humidor as McLean said multiple Group 1 winners Tosen Stardom and Black Heart Bart are set to tackle the race alongside stablemate Brave Smash.

Despite having a soft spot for Black Heart Bart, McLean indicated it was Tosen Stardom that threatened to continue his elite-level form from the spring.

"We're really excited with him heading towards Saturday," he said. "He's wound up and he's forward and he's ready to go.

"I made the statement a couple of weeks ago when he galloped at Ballarat that he might go undefeated this preparation and I'm not back-pedalling from that.

"If he wins on Saturday, he'll certainly be a deserved favourite going towards an Australian Cup."

As for last year's Orr Stakes winner Black Heart Bart, McLean said the horse had some soundness trouble in Perth over the summer before his feet problems flared again after an unplaced Kingston Town Stakes run.

"He stayed at Lindsey's (Smith's stable) for two weeks after that and initially Lindsey said he was quite lame behind but with some anti-inflammatories and a few quiet days he came around quickly.

"I am pretty sure that was just muscle soreness.

"Since he has been back home we have had a little bit of foot problems but nowhere near as bad as what happened in the early part of the spring where he ran a couple of placings behind Hartnell.

"It hasn't been smooth sailing but it's been pretty good so if he has a few good days now we should see him present pretty well on Saturday."

Black Heart Bart galloped strongly with Burning Front at Terang on Tuesday for Damian Lane as regular rider Brad Rawiller was required to ride at Ballarat.

McLean said Brave Smash was likely to make it three Weir runners in the Orr despite coming off a first-up disappointment at short odds.

"He did go to the races underdone," McLean said. "The way he raced was disappointing. It was all upside down but he's come through it well and we've been able to work him hard since and I'm not going to drop off him just yet.

"We're looking to ride him a little bit quieter.

"Weight-for-age over 1400 metres, he might not be good enough to beat Black Heart Bart or Tosen Stardom but it will be a nice conditioning run for him when he steps out in a handicap next time."

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:28am
When Australian trainers and or their sidekicks say their stars are a little behind I suspect the horse is probably perfect for a kick off 200m further than what they want them to kick off at. 

Humidor should, like Winx, go first up in  the Chipping Norton.

reductio ad absurdum
therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:39am
I was dumb to run him in the Cup. He was never, ever gonna stay two miles. That race has broken a few in the past. Will it add another victim? 
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 9:04am
I find it quite funny that a lot of people keep saying Winx is getting old and she isn't as good as she used to be.

I expect her to come out and win the Chipping Norton with ease, just like she does the vast majority of races. The fact that you can point to a Cox Plate where was 3 wide the trip and breaking her own track record as a sign that she has gone backwards is hilarious. She set that track record when there was some inside bias and she got a dream run the whole race, yet somehow when she betters it with a run that would have the majority of Cox Plate contenders finishing towards the rear everyone says she's getting old and looking beatable. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
straw man
noun
  1. 1.
    an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
    "her familiar procedure of creating a straw man by exaggerating their approach"
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:58pm
I hear red excitement is around Wink

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
She just keeps winning, it’s remarkable how good she is. I reckon she is in career best form, she’ll continue to spank whomever races against her. I would love to see her win by 10 this weekend
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

I find it quite funny that a lot of people keep saying Winx is getting old and she isn't as good as she used to be.

I expect her to come out and win the Chipping Norton with ease, just like she does the vast majority of races. The fact that you can point to a Cox Plate where was 3 wide the trip and breaking her own track record as a sign that she has gone backwards is hilarious. She set that track record when there was some inside bias and she got a dream run the whole race, yet somehow when she betters it with a run that would have the majority of Cox Plate contenders finishing towards the rear everyone says she's getting old and looking beatable. 

Not EVERYONE Speediskey.        > She is the best middle distance horse I've seen in 80 plus years and her most recent Cox Plate win was sensational .

Her style does make her a little vulnerable 1st up I expect, but thus far she is simply TOO GOOD, in her last 21 runs..     
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm
I noted the usual condemnation of Winx in another area and the usual drivel of who has she beaten and she will never be great until she's won one in front of the Bowler Hats.
    One great observation noted was that Winx ,   being a middle distance performer who races well off pace ,   is regularly caught in the position of having to produce sensational final sectionals , in unsuitable sprint type races.    She has certainly done that like the true champion she is.
The other main point was ,      What other middle Distance performer has put 22 straight wins together.
Phar Lap couldn't , Bernborough didn't. Tulloch , Kingston Town , No.
       Our WINX is SPECIAL.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I noted the usual condemnation of Winx in another area and the usual drivel of who has she beaten and she will never be great until she's won one in front of the Bowler Hats.
    One great observation noted was that Winx ,   being a middle distance performer who races well off pace ,   is regularly caught in the position of having to produce sensational final sectionals , in unsuitable sprint type races.    She has certainly done that like the true champion she is.
The other main point was ,      What other middle Distance performer has put 22 straight wins together.
       Our WINX is SPECIAL.
I couldn't agree more Max. I go back to the late 60s and I've never seen anything that I'd back to beat her. Not even the King. Some of her wins have been just freakish. I feel a bit sorry for people who don't appreciate what they're watching because you can be sure you'll never see her like again.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 4:42pm
Baguette, she surely is special. I also go back to early 60's and the only horse I would consider a possible bet would be Tobin Bronze. A champion 3, 4 and 5yo, classic winner and a masterful WFA star., comments we do use when describing Winx, except for the 3yo classics.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:34am
Baguette, I too am in agreement with you. The King missed three autumns so he could tackle the Cox Plate in spring. His third Cox Plate was magnificent made more so by Bill Collins now famous call. Yet, since May 2015 Winx has won every race between 1400-2200m set before her in both spring and autumn and races more times per year than some horses in their entire career - 10 races in 2015, 8 in 2016 and 9 last year. Her versatility combined with her brilliant turn of foot, competitive edge, speed and stamina to overcome all challengers, distances and conditions is what sets her apart from her contemporaries. She set a weight-carrying record for a mare to win the 2015 Epsom Hcp, a race she shouldn't have won such was her hopeless position while suffering interference, before going on to win the Cox Plate in record time beating Highland Reel who went on to become an outstanding global superstar with 7 G1s to his name. He took on the world's best racing in the most coveted races on the global calendar winning 2xHKJC G1 Vases, G1 King George and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, G1 Prince of Wales Stakes (SYT won this back in 2012), G1 Breeders Cup Turf and a 2nd in the Arc. The string of wins Winx pulled together in season 2015-16 had never before been seen on the oz turf. In the autumn of 2016 Winx won every race set before her including carrying a record weight for a four year old mare (56.5 kg) to land the Doncaster Hcp while giving second placed Happy Clapper 6kg. He won last year's Epsom Hcp with top weight of 57 kg. In filthy conditions, her George Ryder win in autumn last year was simply sublime. That spring she won the Cox Plate by a record margin in the most dominating manner. Last spring, Winx should not have won the Warwick yet did. Her barrier mannerisms do her no favours, yet overcomes these and sometimes sluggish starts to pull off finishes that are reminiscent of Bernborough. Covering more ground than any other horse in last year's Cox Plate she bested her own track record. What other horse can lay claim to winning the country's premier wfa race three years running in this fashion? It's unprecedented. We all know great horses not only have an uncanny knack of making good horses look very ordinary but cause connections of other horses to look elsewhere in the hopes of winning without Winx in the picture. Need proof - look no further than Black Caviar when she was racing. To anyone who thinks Winx beats nothing and there's nothing special about how she wins her races, look up her 22 wins on the trot courtesy of youtube. There will always be those that knock her but it's their loss so far as I'm concerned. I appreciate champions from every era, and I am absolutely loving the era of Winx.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:36am

Our WINX is SPECIAL.

Who? Where?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:40am
Don't know where Macca saw it but it rears its ugly head from time to time on Racenet Tlaz. The criticism of So You Think was probably worse/stupider.

Comparing past and present champs is interesting - esp when racing historians weigh in with little known facts - but has sfa validity for any number of reasons which have been discussed ad infinitum (tracks, drugs, feed, science, vets, injury, competition, opportunity, money...). 

In the end all it does is diminish/tarnish some of the greats in the minds of the easily led. For example the King's and Manikato's physical issues are pretty well known, others not so much. 

I still remember Martin Riley's comment re BC - Bernborough would have picked her up at the furlong and carried her home, or words to that effect. Don't know because I never saw Bernborough but I respect the opinion.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Our WINX is SPECIAL.

Who? Where?

R & S   ....    Under the nic of GLADY'S
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by carche carche wrote:

Baguette, I too am in agreement with you. The King missed three autumns so he could tackle the Cox Plate in spring. His third Cox Plate was magnificent made more so by Bill Collins now famous call. Yet, since May 2015 Winx has won every race between 1400-2200m set before her in both spring and autumn and races more times per year than some horses in their entire career - 10 races in 2015, 8 in 2016 and 9 last year. Her versatility combined with her brilliant turn of foot, competitive edge, speed and stamina to overcome all challengers, distances and conditions is what sets her apart from her contemporaries. She set a weight-carrying record for a mare to win the 2015 Epsom Hcp, a race she shouldn't have won such was her hopeless position while suffering interference, before going on to win the Cox Plate in record time beating Highland Reel who went on to become an outstanding global superstar with 7 G1s to his name. He took on the world's best racing in the most coveted races on the global calendar winning 2xHKJC G1 Vases, G1 King George and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, G1 Prince of Wales Stakes (SYT won this back in 2012), G1 Breeders Cup Turf and a 2nd in the Arc. The string of wins Winx pulled together in season 2015-16 had never before been seen on the oz turf. In the autumn of 2016 Winx won every race set before her including carrying a record weight for a four year old mare (56.5 kg) to land the Doncaster Hcp while giving second placed Happy Clapper 6kg. He won last year's Epsom Hcp with top weight of 57 kg. In filthy conditions, her George Ryder win in autumn last year was simply sublime. That spring she won the Cox Plate by a record margin in the most dominating manner. Last spring, Winx should not have won the Warwick yet did. Her barrier mannerisms do her no favours, yet overcomes these and sometimes sluggish starts to pull off finishes that are reminiscent of Bernborough. Covering more ground than any other horse in last year's Cox Plate she bested her own track record. What other horse can lay claim to winning the country's premier wfa race three years running in this fashion? It's unprecedented. We all know great horses not only have an uncanny knack of making good horses look very ordinary but cause connections of other horses to look elsewhere in the hopes of winning without Winx in the picture. Need proof - look no further than Black Caviar when she was racing. To anyone who thinks Winx beats nothing and there's nothing special about how she wins her races, look up her 22 wins on the trot courtesy of youtube. There will always be those that knock her but it's their loss so far as I'm concerned. I appreciate champions from every era, and I am absolutely loving the era of Winx.

A good read carche....   well put.
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:16am

This is sadly a typical post trying to tear down other horses to promote the poster's own favourite.

In the Autumn of 1980 Kingston Town won the Expressway, the Heritage, the Rosehill Guineas, the Tancred, the AJC Derby, the Sydney Cup, the Grand Prix and the Queensland Derby. Not bad for a horse who was apparently kept for the Spring! In both '81 and '82 he was injured during the Autumn so it wasn't exactly a deliberate decision to miss the Autumn to aim at the Cox Plate.
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:33am
Injured after his first Cox Plate missed Autumns due to injury exactly !! 

Dont think ive ever seen a horse on the wrong leg at the Valley balance up displaying Ferrari like excelleration like he did that day 

Was never the same horse after that ………All that brilliance in the 1980 Autumn / Spring was the King at his absolute best 

What makes him so great is what he achieved on 3 legs afterwards  

Comparing Winx is just something we shouldn't be doing .....both are Champions !!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm

Our WINX is SPECIAL.

Who? Where?

That twerp, aka Khaptingly and at least one other, has been infesting R&S for at least a decade Macca. Should have been booted by the mod long ago. R&S forum has been moribund for a long time, partly because of its lack of moderation, partly because it wasn't interactive - post and wait for hours at times.  Moral is - if you're going to do it, do it properly. 

KhapGlad probably started off as a stir but it's incredible that anyone would bother keeping the negative farce going for years on end, let alone the obvious repartee with his other main nic. He has been the subject of many laughs though, one of the best being caught out taking his "girlfriend" to the night footy in Perth - to the wrong oval. He obviously invented the story so a few invented his girlfriend - a blow up doll. Very amusing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

This is sadly a typical post trying to tear down other horses to promote the poster's own favourite.

In the Autumn of 1980 Kingston Town won the Expressway, the Heritage, the Rosehill Guineas, the Tancred, the AJC Derby, the Sydney Cup, the Grand Prix and the Queensland Derby. Not bad for a horse who was apparently kept for the Spring! In both '81 and '82 he was injured during the Autumn so it wasn't exactly a deliberate decision to miss the Autumn to aim at the Cox Plate.

Yes, I gave up after the third sentence for that reason.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:15pm
KT had the advantage of steroids - as did all his era. Does that diminish his achievements,  raw ability, and guts? Not in my view. Modern horses have things like Lasix, as well as a far better veterinary testing and caring regime - altho Percy SDykes was ahead of his time.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Our WINX is SPECIAL.

Who? Where?

Most of us take advantage of the information available for form study .   The Forum isn't operating really...      I venture here and there in my idol time ( 23 hours of every day )
   I lost my teeth yesterday 3BM ...My day was very busy searching ==   Ended OK ..   I Blamed you of course

That twerp, aka Khaptingly and at least one other, has been infesting R&S for at least a decade Macca. Should have been booted by the mod long ago. R&S forum has been moribund for a long time, partly because of its lack of moderation, partly because it wasn't interactive - post and wait for hours at times.  Moral is - if you're going to do it, do it properly. 

KhapGlad probably started off as a stir but it's incredible that anyone would bother keeping the negative farce going for years on end, let alone the obvious repartee with his other main nic. He has been the subject of many laughs though, one of the best being caught out taking his "girlfriend" to the night footy in Perth - to the wrong oval. He obviously invented the story so a few invented his girlfriend - a blow up doll. Very amusing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:42pm

Most of us take advantage of the information available for form study .   The Forum isn't operating really...      I venture here and there in my idol time ( 23 hours of every day )
   I lost my teeth yesterday 3BM ...My day was very busy searching ==   Ended OK ..   I Blamed you of course

Entertaining as always Macca.
Try attaching one of these:
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Apologies for the oversight of The King's stellar 3yo season. I'm in no way diminishing his achievements. I know of the injury you speak of behind his missed autumn campaigns having watched the doco "The King and The Man" (highly recommend) which forms part of my horseracing DVD collection. As I said in my last sentence I appreciate champions in every era. I was merely highlighting Winx's achievements to her knockers, that's all. No harm or insult intended to Kingston Town's memory, his fans (including myself) or his legacy.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:38pm
I'm the same with Kingston Town. He was the best I'd seen and I'm his biggest fan. Saying Winx is better in no way diminishes the King in my mind. There's just something freakish about this girl that I've never seen before.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm
Look I'm pretty sure the King missed the Autumn each year because of injury.  He was very hard to keep sound after his 3yo season.  Both are different animals in different eras.  So the King is the best of my youth and I can say Winx is the best so far in my latter years.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:23pm
There are a whole of excuses in the KT story, legitimate or not. With Winx, once she got going, there are no excuses, just wins.

No Winx excuses before she got going either. When she was beaten as a 3yo she was beaten fair and square.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 177>