Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Superannuation Investment Returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 10:37am
A Bump in the Road, or
a Cliff?
Saturday, 10 December 2016 — Gold Coast, Australia
By Vern Gowdie

In today’s Money Morning…countdown to Australia’s first recession in 26 years…debt, debt and more debt…why deflation is looming…and more…

The government has 21 days left to avoid triggering the official definition of a recession.

Two strikes — in other words, two negative quarters — and you are out of the economic growth game.

The GDP number for the September quarter was a paltry minus 0.5%.

However, this rather ‘neither here nor there’ number was enough to whip up a frenzy about the need for growth.

With the end of the December quarter only three weeks away, the government will be hoping and/or spending like crazy to avoid a repeat of September’s negative number.

When asked about the modestly shrinking economy during a radio interview on Thursday, Prime Minister Turnbull’s response was ‘This is a bump in the road. But we’ve got to make sure, it’s up to us whether it’s a pothole or a cliff I suppose.’

The predictable and programmed response to softer than expected economic data is ‘spend more on…[insert into this space whatever your pet project is]’.

OK, good theory; but what about the ‘practice’ part?

..............................Advertisement..............................

JUST RELEASED!
Vern Gowdie’s shocking new exposé of the Australian financial industry

It focuses on the broken Australian
financial system.

Your money. The people who have
influence over it.

And how to keep their grubby hands
off it.

Go here to download a digital copy now.

According to an ABC News report on 21 November 2016:

‘Treasurer Scott Morrison’s budget is facing significant deterioration, with a private forecast tipping bigger-than-expected deficits over the next four years.

‘The closely-watched budget monitor from Deloitte Access Economics predicted this year’s deficit would blow out by $3.4 billion to $40.5 billion, and $24 billion over the forward estimates.’

If the federal government is already facing a budget blowout, how does a fiscally-prudent Treasury embark on a spending spree with money it doesn’t have?

More debt? With government bond rates moving up in recent times, more debt eventually means more interest servicing costs, which means more budget pressure. Sounds like a Catch-22 to me.

In all the economic commentary I’ve read about the weaker-than-expected numbers, no one has tackled the real long-term challenge our economy faces.

Everyone is focused on how to ‘window dress’ the numbers into the positive, while ignoring the erosion that’s occurring to the foundations of not just our economy, but the global economy as well.

The chart below is a couple of years old, but the story remains the same.

Prior to 1980, a dollar of debt generated a dollar of economic output. The purple (debt in US dollars) and dotted (world GDP) lines operated in tandem.

Since 1990, debt in US dollar terms has mushroomed, yet GDP (economic output) has not followed suit.

It is now taking at least $3 of debt to generate $1 of economic output.

Source: maxkeiser.com
Click to open new window

The story is the same in Australia.

Avoiding a recession over the past 25 years has not been the great economic achievement we are led to believe. Australians have simply gone deeper and deeper into debt. The combination of rising wages and falling interest rates is the ‘secret’ of our economic success.

The willingness to ‘hock ourselves to the eyeballs’ has earned Australian households the dubious (and shameful) honour of being the most indebted in the world. Our political leaders gloat internationally about our ‘miracle’ economy. On that point I agree…it’s a miracle we have not yet self-destructed.

That time, I suspect, is fast approaching.

Which gets me to the ‘root cause’ of the enormous headwinds we in the Western world are facing.

If you believe in, or even entertain, the notion that the unparalleled (with any other time in history) accumulation of debt has been a major contributor to economic and asset price growth in recent decades, then, by extension, future growth is dependent upon more (and more and more) of the same debt elixir.

To be eligible for a loan (debt), you require an income. No one (or at least no one with an IQ above 40) will lend you money if you do not have the capacity to repay that money.

The US economy is the largest in the world. With an economy that relies on nearly 70% of household expenditure, US household spending matters.

Source: World Bank
Click to open new window

The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania published a public policy article, on 6 December 2016, titled ‘Why the Coming Jobs Crisis Is Bigger Than You Think’. Accompanying the article is a recorded interview with venture capitalist Art Bilger, founder of WorkingNation.

The article and interview are well worth your time; you can access it by clicking here.

This was the question Art Bilger posed to former US Treasury Secretary Larry Summers at a dinner in New York three years ago:

‘“We’re talking about a third of the population that doesn’t have the skills for the jobs of today, let alone the jobs of 10, 20, 30 years from now.” And then, I said, “And to compound it, we’re doing something extremely well, putting aside cost, and that’s longevity.” So I said, “Here’s the math: A third of the population drops out at 15 and we keep them alive to 85. What do you do?”’

Bilger then went on to say:

‘When I posed the question, I narrowed it down to basically just education and longevity. But then you add to that [the impact of] globalization. Put a billion people into the global workforce at lower price points than we work for here. Great for the globe, not so good for jobs here …So, when you take globalization, technology, longevity and broken education, put those four together…the slope of the curve [based on the] change in jobs and skills measured against time has never been as steep as it is today. Matter of fact, we don’t even understand how steep it really is. And that’s the issue.’

Readers of The Gowdie Letter and Gowdie Family Wealth will be very familiar with this line of reasoning. It goes to the core of why I believe deflation is in our future.

Without well-paying jobs, it is not possible to secure lending. Without the capacity for the broader community to borrow, the driver of economic growth over the past three decades is gone.

And if you think it is only the unskilled in the firing line, think again.

‘You are talking about a dramatic change in employment in this country… It’s not just about the bottom 20%. This is about the lower-middle class, the middle-middle class, the upper-middle class.’

Bilger cites an Oxford study that estimates the employment carnage could result in the loss of 47% of jobs over the next 25 years.

He then leaves listeners with this to ponder:

‘What would our society be like with 25%, 30% or 35% unemployment? … I don’t know how you afford that, but even if you could afford it, there’s still the question of, what do people do with themselves? Having a purpose in life is, I think, an important piece of the stability of a society.’

It doesn’t require a lot of imagination to think of the mischief young, idle hands can get into and the social unrest that could eventuate from a greater number of people feeling disconnected, and of no productive value.

This is an extract from The Gowdie Letter published yesterday:

‘The following headline is from an article published by the Illinois Policy think tank on 30 November 2016:

Source: Illinois Policy
Click to open new window

‘As the Fight for $15 campaign, led by the Service Employees International Union, or SEIU, protested higher wages again Nov. 29, McDonald’s continued to unveil self-service kiosks throughout the country to counteract costly wage mandates.

‘McDonald’s announced Nov. 17 it was expanding its digital self-serve ordering stations to all of its 14,000 restaurants nationwide.

‘As the sub-headline says “Calls for a minimum wage hike are increasingly met with businesses using technology.”’

The future that Art Bilger sees for US employment is already here…it’ll happen more quickly than we think.

This is not an issue isolated to the US. We live in a world of economic connectivity.

The growth in part-time employment, at the expense of full-time jobs, is happening.

At best, with the brightest rose-coloured glasses you can wear, we can look forward to very modest wage increases and unemployment levels (due to the statistical anomaly of a part-time job being counted as employed) remaining in the 5% to 7% range.

At worst, we have the bleak picture Art Bilger is painting of stagnating, or falling, wages, and rising unemployment.

And, don’t forget, government revenues are ultimately connected to household incomes. How can already heavily-indebted governments (with ballooning healthcare and welfare expenses) go further into debt without the revenues to support the servicing costs on that debt?

There are no good outcomes for the collision that’s taking place between the promises made in the final boom years of the Industrial Age and the reality of what the future holds.

Neither the best nor worst case scenarios I’ve outlined are going to deliver the debt-propelled growth policymakers so desperately seek…artificial growth that will absolve them from making tough choices.

Hard decisions are going to be made — either voluntarily or involuntarily.

This is the potential reality you are not being told. It is unpalatable. It is contrary to ‘we just need to spend more to resume growth’ story.

Is it doom and gloom to warn people of impending danger? Or is it a civic responsibility? Should the Bureau of Meteorology always forecast sunny skies because people want to enjoy outdoor activities, even when severe storm activity is brewing? Or, does it do the responsible thing and warn of impending danger?

Anyone who does not peddle the line of ‘we’ll have a soft landing and growth will return to normal soon’ is label pessimistic.

Well, sometimes, bad things happen. History is full of stories when things got out of balance and had to be corrected.

The global financial system is more unbalanced than at any other time in history. The extent of entitlement promises made is without precedent.

Population numbers have never been greater. The speed of disruption is much faster than during any other period of transformation and advancement.

The sheer scale of what confronts billions of people — their finances, livelihoods and lifestyles — is difficult to comprehend.

The past 30 years have been a dream run. We are conditioned — from decade after decade of debt accumulation — to believe ‘what has been will continue to be so’.

The dynamics have changed.

Prime Minister Turnbull was right; what we experienced in the September quarter was a bump in the road…but that road is headed for a cliff called ‘economic reality’.

Buckle up.

Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:30pm
Take this next prediction with a grain of salt however I believe the ASX is about to enter a very nice bull market over the next year or so! Watching the charts very closely I believe the stars are aligning very nicely for a boom on stocks for at least 12 months! Time to take cash out and pump into the Aussie equities.When the financials/materials space starts gaining momentum, it's time to get serious and take notice! This is unfolding at present!!!!!

These opportunities don't come around very often, and when they do,, one pounces!

My charts point to this occurrence happening now and continuing ....

I am not Nostradamus but have a very good feel about the OZ equities at present.

Shoot me down in 12 months if I get it wrong but golden opportunities are opening right here and now!

Those that take the opportunities are rewarded.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:58pm
That would take some heat out of the real estate market, which is overdue ... one tends to perpetuate the other.

Reckon you could be right Rosscoe.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 12:54pm
My bad record with horses has extended to shares Ouch

Bought APO at $5.10 sold at $4.65 when my nerve gave out, is now $5.88 up 8.8 % today

The old saying you haven't lost anything if you don't sell, and not the only stock I have done that Cry

Image result for crying tragic

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:21pm
Whale, without knowing too much about this company which I have never owned, why not put into place a stop loss? A basic strategy is to come up with a stop-loss of 15%. Assuming this stock was bought for $5.10, a 15% stop-loss would have allowed you a little more leeway without having to drop out prematurely. A stop loss for APO would be around $4.35. Should it hit this figure, out the door you go. If the stop-loss is not struck,,,you're still in the hunt for hopefully a recovery.Sounds as if a merger could be taking place for a spike like this with APO??

From what you've stated $4.65 was too early to get out!

If a stop-loss is triggered it means the company is more than likely in a downward trend and more than likely will continue to head this way. This does not happen in every instance but more times than not!

Food for thought, I've learnt over time and experience,,, to use a trading log plan.

Stop-losses are absolutely crucial.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 1:24pm
Just checked APO, a merger has been announced, thus the spike!!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 1:22pm
Crown tanked when Chinese announced new regs on ATM withdrawals, not a problem, patience is a virtue, going up today
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Mr Prospector Mr Prospector wrote:

I agree with you EI on Blackmores , but Ive already bought into them so it will be interesting to see where they bottom out . $90-$100 ?? . 

Another one I also like is Cochlear COH ,but I'm still waiting and watching . 

My Telecom stock that i have is Mynetfone MNF , but TPG look quite good too . 

Any idea why COH dropped 20% ish from
Early october? Does look interesting - i'll keep
an eye on it. Done ok last 2 days btw.

My "angle" is to buy maybe 5-6 good
Solic companies when they are cheap and hang on
For 4-7 yrs. Re BKL and TPM where's the bottom?
I think we have to be close and I'll be getting some
Of that action... Also like IEU "basket" of top euro stocks
- lots of upside there over next few yrs I reckon.

Hope you are on the $ rosscoe re a very good
Year coming up as I'm finally ready to get involved
So the timing would be very nice - sounds like you
Are doing pretty well - hope you keep kicking goals.

Re a stop Loss - tough 1 - but i think its a good idea
to have a plan in place before u buy, ie a stop Loss
Or cut Your lossess and get out pt. The idea is to avoid
Rash emotional decisions by knowing what to do in advance.
I'm thinking a sixth for each stock: as a get out pt.. Or double my
$ the other way.. Within my 4-7 yrs as a pt to get out or atleast partially.
These are just guesstimates and would vary between individual circumstances
Ie time, risk tolerance, stability of company/sector...etc. but I think
The point is to have a plan & stick to it so 1 isn't
Acting on emotion.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:32pm
EC, the health space is not the flavour at present! Have a look at the link below! You'll partly understand why COH has underperformed!

http://us.spindices.com/indices/equity/sp-asx-200-health-care-sector

At present there is a rotation of monies in and out of sectors! Don't be too concerned about COH, it's following the sector generally in a downward trend. It will bounce back, I tend to think the Health space will improve next year.

As stated earlier, I think the Oz market is looking good next year overall however one needs to take the bumps along the way.

Stock & sector selection is crucial!

The Materials Sector being the winner this year, will it continue?? That's the question being asked by many! I tend to think it still has a few legs to go,,,, over the next 3-6 months, maybe longer?!?

Watch the Oil & Energy Space in 2017! A sector at present I really like!! Plenty depends on the countries honouring the OPEC decision and not cheating!!

Signing off now for this year, let's see what 2017 has for us.

I reiterate stock selection and placement of stop-losses crucial!!!

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:36pm
EI,,,, above, sorry.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:47pm
Also before signing off, watch Bellamy's on January 14,,,, not looking good,very sick actually!!Trading halt in place,

Investors who still own this comp any would be very nervous!

Thankfully, I bought this stock at $5.50 and sold out at $13!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

Also before signing off, watch Bellamy's on January 14,,,, not looking good,very sick actually!!Trading halt in place,

Investors who still own this company would be very nervous!

Thankfully, I bought this stock at $5.50 and sold out at $13!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:22pm
Cheers rosscoe,

I'm very simplistic in chart analysis - but I think
Coh might've done too much last 2 yrs for me to
Get excited from an upside point of view. Doubled ish
Might be a good play with divs factored in over
My planned 4-7 yr hold but doesn't for my "criteria".
Will have a bo peep into the sector though

Mentioned cba being cheap a couple of months ago, around $71
Up 16 ish % since then so that value is gonksi now..
barring major falls cba are off my radar for a fair while.

IEU the next 1 I buy - soon

will have a look into the energy - oil sector too..
(Bhp too rich for my blood atm, missed the boat there too).

Good luck as always
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 8:56pm
Correction coh doubled over last 3 yrs, not 2.

& on ieu hoping for/waiting for a little drop
Before getting in. Enough stuff going on in Europe
For a decent chance of that.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:47am
I see BLK is still selling discount vitamins in Australia as are Swisse after the Chinese Govt changed the rules , so they may still have a way to go before they hit bottom . 
If the US has some sort of rally in 2017 due to Trump spending then some of the US biased stocks like COH , CSL and MFG (Magellan Finance Group ) may be a good buy . 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:18pm
Good luck mate , hope you do well if you invest in any of those.

Personally i think there's some risk in the us market, trump obviously
Hasnt had to say or do anything yet & the market has been very optimistic IMO
Re how it'll pan out.

I prefer some exposure to euro stocks with an etf like ieu.
Euro banks are out of favour due partially to record low interest rates. Think most of the risk has been priced in there and could get some good growth over next few yrs.
Generally an etf is a cheap & relatively safe way, (safe as the spread over many stocks,) to get involved in a sector / market of interest.

Good luck
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 4:49pm
Thanks EI 
If trump cuts company tax and interest rates go up then the market overall should get cheaper but often when the Aussie goes down against the USD then those US based stocks go up . Its definitely a gamble .Ive heard talk of the Aussie going to $0.60 or less . 

Ive never invested in etf type fund and they are obviously very cyclical and relatively short term I would have thought ? . I'm trying to invest in a smaller number of stocks but looking long term so I don't have to keep watching the market . Set and forget is the plan . 
Rosscoe seems to have a good idea on sector movement by the look of his posts . 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:22pm
On ETFs being cyclical, it varies. Sector specific ETFs
1's could be quite cyclical however with 1 like ieu I wouldn't think so.
Has holdings in around 350 companies across many euro countries and sectors,
So I assume that would smooth out most of the cyclical stuff. unhedged so is affected by exchange rates.
On short term I guess that depends on the etf again, more cyclically sensitive 1's Lepus probably provide better opportunities for short term traders.

If youre thinking long term - picking a sector that's in the duldrums now
Could be a way to go if you felt that trend was temporary.

I'm only starting out with stocks using my super, bought BKL and Tpm so far
That's it , about a week and a half ago, so very early days. Plan is to buy 6-7 stocks/etf's using about 75% of my super balance and hold for 4-7 yrs .. will be learning as I go, but have been learning a bit over past 2 yrs or so before having a crack.. The idea is to try and do a better job picking shares than my super fund manager.. Otherwise I could just leave it in the balanced option ..Time will tell how that experiment goes ofc.

As you say rosscoe seems to have a fair bit of experience and knowledge. Could do worse than be guided by his opinions.

Good luck to all with their investments & enjoy reading opinions and approaches.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 11:04am
I'm liking sonic shl as my potential healthcare stock.
Looks a very safe play with decent growth prospects..
Around 3.5-4% divs each yr thrown In.

Will keep an eye on it for a while but pretty tempted.
Jan could be a bad month or atleast start badly with
profit taking .. So might be a dip there to buy at.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:23am
A suspended member, who returns under rather obvious nics, was right about one thing, if you bought a 1000 bitcoins when they were a few dollars, well Cry

1 Bitcoin equals
1515.62 Australian Dollar

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 11:34am
HNY investors!

The Santa Claus rally, as predicted rallied very strongly through December and is continuing through January on lighter volumes as expected with many fund managers and investors still on holidays.

The financial and material space continues to kick goals,being driven in a very bullish way! Hopefully this trend can continue and give us a great start to 2017.

January can give an insight into trends for the rest of the year, however be prepared for more volatility at some stage, particularly after Trump becomes inaugurated on Jan 20.

As mentioned the market has a taste of bullishness at present and appears to be picking up with smooth gear changes! However it only takes a bit of a pessimistic outlook by some or news of a black swan event to change the momentum. A year can be a very long time financially speaking!

I thought I'd throw up a company worth following every now and again. I still believe the materials space is looking attractive. Of the resources out there, I believe nickel has been left behind compared to other commodities. One company has grabbed my attention,,,,, .... that being WSA (Western Areas LTD)!!The chart of this company is looking favourable, currently breaking out and entering into an uptrend.

As with all investments have a strategy in place if the trend reverses. Use a basic 15% rule. My own stop-losses vary and are not set in concrete.

Happy investing and let's hope the current trends continue rolling along but also be prepared for bumps along the way. Maybe at the end of this year we'll be able to break through the All Ords 6000 point zone comprehensively!
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:01pm
Interesting article in yesterday's press regarding getting retirees off welfare and becoming self funded in retirement. Article suggested super contributions and earnings should not be taxed when in "contribution phase" but fully taxed when drawn down in "pension phase". By not taxing in "contribution phase" the fund will benefit by an extra 15% ( the tax rate into a fund ) added to the fund until retirement.By compounding that increased contribution a fund it will grow at a much greater rate enabling less people to rely on welfare.Putting an extra $1pa into a fund will increase 47 times over 30 years @ 3% pa.

To get around regulatory complications there would need to be a transition where people who are currently in "pension phase"( have already paid 15% tax in contribution phase )  will  be exempted from tax in their retirement and those who are currently in " contribution phase " would need to set up  two funds
 A: for existing fund..... tax free in retirement but subject to 15% tax on earnings until retirement 
 B: for future contributions .. tax free until retirement but taxable in retirement.

All that might seem reasonable but do I think any government today will forego the tax it will receive now, for a tax a future government to receive down the track in years to come..NO.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:18pm
This has merit on face value, and we clearly need this kind of thing to be debated BB ... we will never be able to afford the pension bill that is coming otherwise. For starters, when are we going to be fair dinkum and raise the retirement age in line with the rising life expectancy?Confused

Mostly we need to ask the Financial Planners how they intend getting around any new proposals!Wink
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 5:34pm
DR E , I doubt one can throw a blanket over all retirement ages. A bricklayer, a plumber or a manual labour surely cannot work through to the same retirement age as an admistrative officer or a personal assistant. Physical exertion in some jobs makes working nigh impossible, however I do believe there is some merit in increasing the retirement age beyong 65. 
I do not know whether I would want financial planners getting involved in any legislation changing super rules, as they do not have a particularly good reputation in doing the best for their clients. 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 12:50am
We currently throw a blanket arbitrarily at 65 ... and it's been the same for over 100 years!

The irony is, the life expectancy of an Australian male back then was 55 (so most blokes were 10 years dead before they could claim the aged pension!)... we are now expected to live beyond 80 ... yet no change to the retirement age, so we have to fund welfare payments to the population for an extra 25 years? ... it make no sense whatsoever, and little wonder we are going broke!

People are physically able to work longer, regardless of their vocation, and we need to provide incentives to do so. 

As for Financial planners, they are a soft target. Like every profession, there are good and bad. Whilst I was tongue in cheek about consulting them, the fact is, they make a living by finding the loopholes around any new legislation, so surely it makes sense to have them vet any proposals, and see how they can be got around ... if you want to test a security system, best to ask the crooks! The politicians and public servants who formulate these rules do a consistently gelatity job.Dead
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:57pm
Bellamy's down nearly 20% today after being off the scene for a few weeks with a trading halt!

A stock that was recommended a week ago to watch "WSA"- Western Areas Ltd (a nickel player) .... up 7.3% today!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm
Bellamy shareholders are up the creek big time.  

Today's refusal of the Board to step aside, added to its decision to sheet the blame to and then sack the CEO (and replace her with its "chief operating/strategic manager") smacks of Louis XVI's reaction to the French Revolution.  Confused
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:57am
Bellamy's shareholders currently spewing at present! What a pi_s poor management team or was!

The stock I recommended mid January hit my stop loss recently, AWS never recovered from an Indonesian announcement to reopen and export their nickel supplies. Stop losses absolutely crucial as mentioned plenty of times previously! Competition in the resource space can sometimes be its own undoing! I have not given up on this space as I believe commodities will continue to soar over 2017. The ones I'm currently holding that are kiilling it continue to perform beautifully ,,,, Oz Minerals & Alumina absolute standouts as mentioned previously!

Copper & Oil/Energy stocks are reaching liftoff off point!!! Plenty of other sectors now opening up for opportunities!

Bull market in full throttle now,,,, 2017 is going to be huge!

In fact, this bull market, I believe will continue into 2018!! Charts looking superb, don't miss the boat and enjoy the ride ...

$$$$$ to be made!!!! Huge ....

Watch the financial & resource sectors. They'll be going gun ho! Health sector recovering now after a disappointing 2016. Telcos so so,, not a sector that grabs me yet however opportunities may arise later this year.

Banks and other financials looking great for 2017!

If you feel uncomfortable about stock picking throw your $$$$ into the Australian share portfolio and enjoy the ride!

Over and out for now!!

Happy days ...... back your judgement and enjoy a very profitable 2017!

No proofreading here, take what's written as gospel.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:06am
I disagree Rosscoe, would love you to be correct but.

I think the marhet will take hit after hit as President Loony Tunes implements his ill conceived "policies "

And when he loses it big time, as the madman must do eventually , the market will crash.

Buy gold
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:52am
There will always be volatility, like right now ....

Without prolonging a big discussion here, reporting season is just around the corner so we'll understand a better picture of the state of play here locally.

There will be many decisions and events globally that will sway the general consensus like yourself to head for the safe haven environments like gold. I made my big money in this commodity last year before getting out before the US election. I like the charts at present, as previously stated,,,, volatility will remain under the Trump regime however I am optimistic about where we are heading Over the duration of the year!

Love taking the contrarian view, whilst the general consensus go with the herd!

Buying opportunities are here right now in some of the sectors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>