Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Superannuation Investment Returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:36am
Just a further pt on why I like sonic SHL..1 of the reasons is that's it share price is affected by the Aus to euro exchange rate as they make a fair bit of their $ in Europe..& that's where their growth is expected. Atm the rare is à little over 71 and i think There's more liklihood of that getting to 65 Than 78 : ie more chance of the SHL benefitting than losing from that exchange rate action over then next 18 months or so.
Whether right or not : ofc time will tell.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

EI, I'll steer you into a couple of sites that are free on the ASX webpage which might be worth your while keeping an eye on.

The first is the sector index chart. Take a look at the XTJ chart (Telecommunications). You can see how this sector has been performing over a period of time. I'd take it back & look at a year ago. You will see a very steep decline, a downward trend. As mentioned before, to me it looks as if this trend should continue for a while yet! It may be close to bottoming but that is not being witnessed at present.

Link below:-

http://www.asx.com.au/products/index-charts.htm

The second link is the Sector information overview. The Telecommunications Sector is down significantly compared to other sectors.

[URL=http://www.asx.com.au/products/sector-indices.htm#financials]http://www.asx.com.au/products/sector-indices.htm#financials

I trust these links give you more information/education.

Enjoy your Easter break.

Telecommunications being smashed at present. TPG leading the way,,,, down over 17%. All Telcos down significantly!!
Very negative sentiment in the sector at present. The Sector has not bottomed but is starting to look interesting at these levels.
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:01pm
Tpg share price sodomized today following news of their recently announced plans and offer .. Telstra copping to a good degree too

Tpg fallen below where I planned to get out: caught off guard with that massive fall today and through my super find cant have stop losses in place as such.. Will hold on for a bit longer now: hoping that most of the damage has been done.

Will have to have a good think about Telstra before committing there

Thanks for your 2 cents rosscoe
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:23pm
The telco area is hard to analyse but I just dipped my toe in the water on TPM at $5.40 . 
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:22pm
A market of stocks

But you’ll continue to see action at the individual stock level. One sector that is in the throes of change right now is the telco sector. Yesterday, Telstra [ASX:TLS] closed at $4 per share, its lowest point since October 2012.

It’s not just Telstra. All stocks in the sector are under severe share price pressure. The source of this pressure is the ongoing rollout of the National Broadband Network. As more people sign up to the new network, it squeezes existing players’ margins.

That leaves the mobile phone sector as one of the most profitable for the telcos…and certainly for Telstra. This is why TPG [ASX:TPM] wants to build its own mobile network. It wants some of the action.

So in addition to margin pressure across broadband, you’ll soon see it in mobiles too. Which is why Telstra’s share price looks like this…

Source: Optuma
Click to enlarge

But it’s now hugely oversold and due for a bounce. The bargain hunters are about to move in.

If you believe the earnings and dividend forecasts for FY17, Telstra looks attractive, trading on a yield of 7.8%. But the concern is what the earnings will be after TPG comes into the market with a cut price offering.

As someone who is on a Telstra mobile plan, I know their offer is expensive and very stingy when it comes to data. But hey, I lost my phone last year and didn’t have the luxury of being able to shop around.

The point is, if another network comes in (TPG expects to build coverage of 80%) and provides a good service at a lower price, it will absolutely hit Telstra.

Telstra has benefitted for years from having the best and most comprehensive mobile network. That has allowed them to charge premium prices and earn attractive profit margins.

Now this competitive advantage is under attack. Which is why the share price is back where it was four and a half years ago.

Is Telstra good value now? Maybe. But who knows how the market will look in a few years’ time?

I’d prefer to wait for Telstra’s share price to find a bottom, rather than try and pick a bottom myself. Given the recent share price damage, that could take many months to play out.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
Not everyone is so bullish about the stock market.  Each individual needs to educate themselves and make a decision based on their interpretation ,no guarantees though as with all gambling.

Valuations near 'dot-com bubble' levels may halt the bull market

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
In case this is of any value:

James Carroll P.S. Disclosure: I am an investor in Lumithera a) because it successfully treats an unmet medical need, (dry AMD) b)I think it will be the first billion dollar photobiomodulation company.

In relation to this:

LumiThera Named Most Innovative And Promising Medtech & E-Health Company At Biovision 2017 https://blog.thorlaser.com/lumithera-named-most-innovative…/

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:14am
Whale that link doesn't work for me: in that it's asking for subscription..

As mentioned earlier I have a mate whose been predicting a crash for about 3 months now, and he's not alone. There's a school of thought out there that markets are overpriced and that we are due for a significant fall.

I don't buy that personally. China will continue to do what they forecast: their government will make sure of that even if some creative accounting is needed. European economies are on the whole, starting to pick up.
With good upside IMO, s&p Europe 350 is still about 10% lower than where it was 2 yrs ago.

The Dow jones after 7-8 weeks of not much happening, slightly down 3-4 % is still up about 20% since trump got in. The promised tax cuts and infrastructure spending a big factor. That's where the most risk is IMO..any issues in getting those through will
Have a negative effect.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:45am
In summary if trump has problems getting the tax cuts and infrastructure spending through I think worst case would be maybe a 10-15 % drop in the Dow jones which would pass on somewhat to our markets..
Don't see much to be concerned about in Europe
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
Of course these are just peoples' opinions, they can be way off.  Like the "expert" in Australia who predicted a houssing crash  about 2012, the market has had its best run ever since then.  But what goes up must come down so eventually there will be a correction. I like the Day Trader in the Herald Sun, has increased bank from $50,000 to about $357,000 risking very little, sometimes he has all his money in cash, and uses stops on all his investments. I don't have the skill or patience to day trade.

Day Trader column for January 27 - 2017

Portfolio Position

Stock

No. of Shares

Purchase price

Stop

Fridays Close

CDA

$1.90

$1.93

$1.995

Cash       $351,522

Shares    $5,985

Total       $357,507

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

Whale that link doesn't work for me: in that it's asking for subscription..

As mentioned earlier I have a mate whose been predicting a crash for about 3 months now, and he's not alone. There's a school of thought out there that markets are overpriced and that we are due for a significant fall.

I don't buy that personally. China will continue to do what they forecast: their government will make sure of that even if some creative accounting is needed. European economies are on the whole, starting to pick up.
With good upside IMO, s&p Europe 350 is still about 10% lower than where it was 2 yrs ago.

The Dow jones after 7-8 weeks of not much happening, slightly down 3-4 % is still up about 20% since trump got in. The promised tax cuts and infrastructure spending a big factor. That's where the most risk is IMO..any issues in getting those through will
Have a negative effect.

strange, it works for me.  Try a different browser maybe
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

for market overreaction such as Tabcorp when greyhound ban was announced, Aristocrat when  it was announced they were being sued by addicted gambler.

IMO Crown Resorts is another such opportunity, has dropped 12% today on news of arrests, I bought in at $11.39

$12.55 Feb 28
$11.54 March 6
$12.67 today

quite a ride Smile
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:00pm

See how these go, some are already above valuation shown :

ACX

Aconex Limited $8.11 5 1 0 Strong Buy 
ALL

Aristocrat Leisure Limited $14.17 6 0 0 Strong Buy
AMP

AMP Limited $5.64 6 2 0 Strong Buy
AOG

Aveo Group Stapled $3.41 3 1 0 Strong Buy
BAP

Bapcor Limited $5.48 3 1 0 Strong Buy
FBU

Fletcher Building Limited NZX $8.53 5 1 0 Strong Buy
FXJ

Fairfax Media Limited $0.98 5 1 0 Strong Buy
LLC

Lendlease Group Stapled $12.45 6 0 0 Strong Buy
MQA

Macquarie Atlas Roads Group Stapled $5.40 5 1 0 Strong Buy
ORG

Origin Energy Limited $5.83 6 2 0 Strong Buy
QAN

Qantas Airways Limited $3.09 8 0 0 Strong Buy
RMD

Resmed Inc Cdi 10:1 $8.59 6 2 0 Strong Buy
SGR

The Star Entertainment Group Limited $5.73 5 2 0 Strong Buy
WBC

Westpac Banking Corporation $30.30 6 2 0 Strong Buy
WTC

Wisetech Global Limited $5.12 3 1 0 Strong Buy
most are over price shown as consensus is at 30/6/2016

http://www.marketindex.com.au/analysis/consensus-recommendations-19-july-20

ACX $4.26
ALL $19,55
AMP $5.34
AOG $3.12
BAP $5.28
FBU $7.71
LLC $16.30
MQA $5,31
ORG $7.23
QAN $4.14
RMD $9.56
SGR $5.60
WBC $35.06
WTC $5.60

some stand out profits but overall not very good compared to how the overall market has performed since then
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:04pm

From a Marcus Padley article today some stocksannual reports are likely to surprise on the upside, see how they go. I will invest $10,000 on each and keep my fingers and toes crossed.  I don't bet on horses anymore but shares seem to be a good replacement, as successful too Confused

SYD - $7.44   $6.81
RMD - $9.16  $9.56
MPL - $3.02   $2.87
DMP - $73.29 $61.37
BAP - $5.56    $3.28
VTG - $4.85    $2.26
CTD - $15.35  $20.59
BAL - $12.40   $5.06

big fail
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
Last update before my holiday.

Before that another recommendation, Senex previously recommended (SXY) is hovering around the 32c mark. I am still holding this stock and am expecting a nudge in the second half of this year! It hasn't moved much of late however I did buy in at 26c. Patience with this company.

A2 Milk (A2M) is running amok at present. I bought in at $2.60 and it recently hit close to $3.30 after a company upgrade to future earnings!! Plenty of upside with this stock and currently trending beautifully! Recommendation ... "BUY" ....

The latest on the state of play,,,, Go The Bull:-

All Ords Report 27 April 2017

According to some broker reports earlier this month, oil was experiencing the “longest winning streak” since December.

I have to shake my head when I read commentary implying that oil has been booming when what has occurred is quite different.

Reports over recent months mentioned that a rally in oil prices occurred because of optimism about OPEC oil production cuts; Iran committed to fixing output for the rest of the year, but any support this would provide may be offset by US shale drilling.

This activity has created uncertainty, and uncertainty creates volatility, which means prices can move quickly one way or the other. Last week, following the supposed rally, oil dropped by around 6 per cent.

When I see words like “winning streak”, I immediately refer to my weekly price chart to put the rise in the oil price into context. Prior to last week’s drop oil was rising for just three weeks. The real rally occurred in the first half of 2016 to an early June high. However, since that high, the oil price merely traded sideways. Although it did break higher temporarily in December 2016, oil quickly fell back into the sideways move again. Of course, speculation and supply and demand have dictated this activity.

In my opinion, any “winning streak” was a short rise and not worthy of the headline. However, US oil may rally following a strong close on any day above $53.80, as such a move would increase the probability for a more sustained rise in the US oil price, with the next target between $58 and $64.

That said we must also consider the downside for oil. If oil falls below $48 the price is likely to continue the decline to between $43 and $45 in the shorter term. Either way, this presents a great opportunity for traders with the right knowledge.

What do we expect in the market?

This month, the strong positive for Aussie shares is how the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) finally broke through the level of the 2015 high at 5963.5 points to achieve 5983 points, before falling away slightly last week. It was possible for the fall last week to spill over into this week, however, the market has bounced back up towards the 2015 high this week.

It’s exciting to finally see the market trade to a new two year high as this move aligns with my longer term view that the bulls are still in control. However, the Australian share market is nearing a time when it is preferable to see it pull back for two to four weeks so as to provide support for a solid rise in the second half of 2017.

Given this, there are opportunities to profit by increasing your exposure to shares for the medium term, however, be selective. There has been a move to solid dividend paying stocks while the miners take a breather. That said Mining and Energy are areas to watch in the second half.

To the economic front in Australia, retail spending figures are still not where economists would like to see them. Reasons given are slow wage growth and higher household debt, offsetting lower interest rates.

First quarter 2017 inflation data indicates that Australia is slightly below forecast, however, economists see this as in-line with the forecast of 2.2 per cent for the year. Given this, currently the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) sees no reason to change guidance from a steady cash rate.

There are two areas the RBA are watching closely, being low wage growth and a constrained labour market. Financial stability is another area, which may receive more attention later in the year. That said it is unlikely for the RBA to consider raising the cash rate until late this year or early in 2018. In my opinion, it would be a mistake for the RBA to cut the cash rate any further.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 3:39am
Enjoy your holiday Rosscoe and look forward to the holiday report . I had a mate who got a visa to Myanmar nearly 40 years ago and all they would give him was a 2 or 3 week visa . He caught a local ferry up the Irrawaddy river as far as he could go in the time given and back again .

A company that has peaked my interest is Promedicus (PME) , who do medical image software for hospitals and healthcare companies . The Mayo clinic ran a tender process for software in their systems last year sometime and after the tender closed they promptly rejected all the tender applications . They started a new tender process and rang Promedicus and asked them to tender for the contract . They obviously won the contract which indicates they may have a really good product .
They have just won another large 5 year contract with revenue that will obviously grow in the next few years of the back of that contract.
Their P/E is very high at 88 but this will come down as the revenue grows and they also don't appear to have much debt . The price at $5.50 is not cheap at the moment but still may be ok if the company continues to grow .
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:04am
Cheers Mr P.

Had the second round of the Hep A & B vaccination yesterday & am feeling a bit off today but know I'll be bouncing back to make the plane next Friday! Really looking forward to Myanmar & Thailand for a month.

Had a look at PME, it is trending nicely over a long term period.Really starting to hit its straps from 2014 onwards. I will be keeping a very close eye on the company. Very interesting to see Mayo Clinic backing them!

One last pointer, the month of May has a record of being sluggish on the ASX. A month where profits are taken closing in on the end of the financial year. Not sure what will transpire this time round but wouldn't be surprised to see a correction before things start to heat up again during the reporting season in July/August.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 2:38pm
Is not for the faint hearted, announcements are made and bang you lose thousands Ouch

2 of mine yesterday PTM  - 6.61%

TTS - - 3.80%
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:58am
I think it is way optimistic but for what it's worth:

Macquarie tips ASX to hit 10,000 in 10 years

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:26pm
My worst stock ever was purchased post GFC , I bought AWE at $2.50 and I think its  about $0.46 now . I stopped looking at the price a long time ago and probably should just dump them and take the loss . OUCH , I think its called stuck in the market . 
Mynet phone MNF who I own , had a serious correction yesterday and the rumour said it was caused by a BOT (robot) computer that drove the price down to $4.00 . It has now recovered back to $4.40 .

I've read pundits that say they wont invest in Macquarie as its a very complex business to understand financially and therefore impossible to assess the strengths and risks within the business .  As you've said Whale its not a game for the faint hearted with plenty of traps for the newbies . 
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:57am
Just how good are Corporate Travel Management (CTD) going? Hit $22 yesterday after another earnings upgrade!

I bought this stock at $10 and am still holding!

Great company although the P/E is getting up there a bit but remember Domino's Pizza!

Farewell Villagers, plane to catch ....
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:29pm
Shares in the big banks of which i hold 3 have been hammered due to budget measures.

only partially undoes the damage but I have shares in 3 smaller banks which have benefited today
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:29pm
Swings and Roundabouts on the banks , I think they will come back as the market believes they will just pass on the costs of the new tax .
 I've been negative on the banks for a while and hold only Westpac , but didn't take my own advice .

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:31pm
I agree, 6.2 billion over 4 years is only 310 million a year per bank, they can absorb that
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:24pm
Great time to buy bank shares!

I love the way that the opposition agreed to this in a nanosecond last night, then come out and spin it that the Government is whacking all Australians, because they are the big bank shareholders, and that is who will pay for this new tax ... yet when the Government wants to give tax breaks to the big banks, the only beneficiaries are "overseas shareholders" ... how can you not love the hypocrisy of politics!? ... if only there was some way we could avoid voting for any of them!LOL
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:19pm
all banks large and small doing better today
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:18pm
[QUOTE=Whale]A suspended member, who returns under rather obvious nics, was right about one thing, if you bought a 1000 bitcoins when they were a few dollars, well Cry

1 Bitcoin equals
1515.62 Australian Dollar

3318 today, amazing increase

[
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:25pm

for market overreaction such as Tabcorp when greyhound ban was announced, Aristocrat when  it was announced they were being sued by addicted gambler.

IMO Crown Resorts is another such opportunity, has dropped 12% today on news of arrests, I bought in at $11.39

ALL $14.89  now $21.64

CWN $11.39       $12.95

TTS   $3.67         $4.28
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:20pm
You've done well with the gambling stocks Whale , it look better than the punt . 
Blackmores finished down at $96 today and may well still have more to go . The Q2 and Q3 profit were flat and if Q4 comes in lower they may well go down into the $80's . 
The discount sell off of excess stock due the china story has been mooted as the cause . I still believe they are a good long term investment with capital growth and dividends but at what value is the question . 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>