Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Superannuation Investment Returns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

what is high interest these days 3.5% Ouch

good for mortgagees bad for people who rely on their savings

the direct investment proportion of my super fund has made me 9.5% in just over 6 months

I am not a financial expert (as our financial planner keeps telling us), I am into health care, but, during the GFC, did your super fund make any gains for you, mine certainly did not?

PS, I have stated, I like the fact that I can access this money at anytime, for whatever reason I feel necessary (although I haven't as yet).
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:01pm
yes the GFC was a big setback for funds.

to tell you the truth I had a relatively small amount in there at that stage and did not take any notice of the quarterly statements I received.
my share portfolio went down a lot ,of course
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:32pm
Well, with today's 0.25% rate cut and a distinct possibility of another one as early as next month, the equities now appear to be even more attractive. 

The AUD is now moving down towards the mid 70s.

I bought one more company since Dec 2014. Now 7 in my portfolio ( selling one very soon) ... 

RESMED was bought in January at $7 .. ( a company that has exposure in the USA - sleep apnoea products), has risen beautifully to $8.10 today. A very well managed company that will only grow with a shrinking AUD. A small dividend was thrown in as well.

Telstra continues to grow - the yield investors have stepped in to take advantage of dividends with TLS half-yearly report on 12th Feb. Ex-Dividends to be announced shortly afterwards on 24th Feb. 

I have my eye on another company or two but am waiting for opportunistic buying when the market corrects.

The ASX200 + All Ords could now well hit the 6000 mark predicted by some leading economists, a figure I thought was out of reach at the beginning of the year.

The ASX200 hit the 5707 mark today but expect volatility to bring the market back again shortly. 

Amazingly the ASX200 + All Ords have now risen for the last 9 days. We hit a new high today that has not been seen since June 2008.

Going forward, the equities is where you need to be for the short-mid term.
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 5:52pm
I think at least 1 more cut, probably 2 has been priced in today
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:04pm
13% profit in less than 7 moths on the direct investment portion of my super fund, beats term deposits Smile
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:11pm
well done rosscoe + whale.

i got out of the "international shares' investment option
on the 8th may last year..+ into the "property" option
since then: int shares up 22.6% + property up only 7.7%
ouch..

i cut + ran too soon..(had done very well over the previous 2 yrs ish).

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:16pm
shares are volatile, no guarantees my profit will be there in a few months.

no harm in taking a profit and 7.7&% in 9 months is alright too,especially with tax advantages in super fund
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 6:28pm
** i'm referringto my super + the managed options rather than direct
where i pick the shares myself**

...still haven't got the b*lls to do that.
been watching a fair few shares + investment shows lately to try +
get a basic understanding of what i'd be doing..
+ you are right whale, i shouldn't complain.
nothing wrong with 7.7% over 9 months as the safe option.

i will get around to the direct stuff with my super eventually.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:27pm
I'm not into shares but surely OIL will start to rise shortly.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:04pm
Don't hold your breath waiting maxie. Today's rate cut was in significant part due the falling oil price pushing inflation down, and the market pricing in a couple more cuts suggests things aren't expected to change anytime soon

That and this hopeless govt 
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:24pm
As Warren Buffet recently reiterated you can do far worse than invest in a low-cost S&P 500 index fund (he recommended Vanguard iirc). From the very little I read about them last month the better ones consistently outdo many(most?) fund managers, which makes you wonder why Oz super funds use their overpriced services at all. I'm also with Australian Super and I can't recall seeing Index Funds as an investment choice. Must ask.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:37pm
This might be worth some consideration!

I wrote about this ETF back in December & quoted …

"Internationally, the US economy will continue to improve & at present there is no real rush pushing interest rates up. When they do eventually go up it will be a very gradual process. I have my money in an Exchange Trading Fund (ASX-WDIV). It is a Global Dividend Fund - The SPDR S&P Global Dividend Fund seeks to provide investment returns, before fees and other costs, that closely correspond to the performance of the S&P Global Dividend Aristocrats Index."

"I expect this ETF to grow very nicely over the next 12-18 months. It gives exposure to quality companies around the world including a sizeable % in The USA, Canada + UK (around 50% weightings)."

I've seen this ETF grow from  $17 to $19.15 in a little over a month and a bit!

With Quantitative Easing getting a kickstart in Europe as of March, expect this ETF to grow very nicely over the remainder of the year.

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:54pm
Asian Equities unhedged. That is the way to play it for lil bit longer.

You wont get me near a simplistic ETF that creates its own index to replicate. Better off with a high quality manager than a factor based strategy.

As for global dividends, u r better off with Aus Eq income where you can get 4.5 cash yield + franking + higher income on a rotational strategy = 8-9%.  

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:54pm
they offer ETF's (exchange traded funds) within member direct

http://www.australiansuper.com/campaigns/member-direct-guide.aspx

which are not the same as index funds..but similar i think..
i don't know enough to explain the differences.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:56pm
the previous post was kinda in reply to 3blindmice.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

As Warren Buffet recently reiterated you can do far worse than invest in a low-cost S&P 500 index fund (he recommended Vanguard iirc). From the very little I read about them last month the better ones consistently outdo many(most?) fund managers, which makes you wonder why Oz super funds use their overpriced services at all. I'm also with Australian Super and I can't recall seeing Index Funds as an investment choice. Must ask.

The Buff was mainly referring to large Cap US equities where there is a fair argument to index (crowded market, little insight). Australian Equities is one of the best markets to seek an active manager.  The avg active manager has outperformed the index by 150-200bps over the medium to long term.

Note - they should be called sub index funds. Take out their fees & they don't replicate the index.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

they offer ETF's (exchange traded funds) within member direct

http://www.australiansuper.com/campaigns/member-direct-guide.aspx

which are not the same as index funds..but similar i think..
i don't know enough to explain the differences.

EI - they can be very similar. It depends what they are trying to achieve. If they are going to replicate an index like the ASX200 they will state it. If not, they may make up their own index!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:05pm
thanks whitt0

there sure is oodles to learn.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:10pm
I am not a fan of ETFs broadly but understand that it is a cheap simplistic way to get exposure to the share market.  That suits some people.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by whitt0 whitt0 wrote:

Asian Equities unhedged. That is the way to play it for lil bit longer.

You wont get me near a simplistic ETF that creates its own index to replicate. Better off with a high quality manager than a factor based strategy.

As for global dividends, u r better off with Aus Eq income where you can get 4.5 cash yield + franking + higher income on a rotational strategy = 8-9%.  

Ha?

Have you done your mathematics Whitt0???
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:24pm
Rotational strategy gives u close to double the franking as well as an extra 1-2% income Roscoe

4.5% cash yield
2.5% -3% franking
2% approx extra income.

Rotate through dividend periods (but not all) by avoiding dividend traps to boost after tax income. Don't rotate through all of them & hold the like of Telstra for longer if needed.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:27pm
It totally depends on the companies you are buying into - throwing those figures around is absurd!
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:33pm
Not absurd Rosscoe - suggest you do research.  If your happy with 3.5% income from global dividends with the potential that you lose income because they have hedged on capital account - go for it.

Of course it depends on the stocks, but you are not going to but low income stocks if u want income.

Just 1 example & I can find more - Plato Aus Share Income Fund = 9.4% income last year. Also add in Merlon etc.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:36pm
I suggest you do some more research!

You are being very selective with your statements with little substance.

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:41pm
How much more substance do you want.

Global Equity income strategies average close to 3.5% income per annum due to low payout ratios. The firms are not incentivised to pay income.

In Aus, totally the opposite. We have higher pay out ratios & a huge incentive via franking credits.

I am not being selective. The Australian equity index will give you a cash yield of 4.5% + approx 1.5% of franking = 6% income.  Focused and targeted fund managers can achieve a lot more than that.

Your call on Telestra has been a good one. Inc franking, over the last few years you would have achieved close to double digit income including franking.

I am more than happy to be a generalist or talk specific sectors.

Either way, I am still long asian equities unhedged. your call on o'seas earnings is also a good one!
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 10:52pm
Go for it with the Asian equities unhedged (you are more game than I am for venturing into this one) and best of luck with your call!

Telstra was a good call and yes so was WDIV global Equites Fund.

Telstra is a growth stock - wouldn't you agree?
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:04am
It depends very much on how you want to play the game with equities.

I am searching companies that hopefully will achieve significant growth, if they throw in a healthy dividend as well, a bonus .. (that's the icing on the cake!)

Having checked my portfolio this morning the following results have been achieved:-

Telestra (bought in October 2014, up over 22%). Very much a growth stock & performing beautifully!!!

WDIV Global Equities (bought Dec 2014, up over 11.5% with still plenty of growth left over 2015 period with QE just about to commence in Europe & the USA still kicking goals. This will have a rebound effect on other global economies)

Slater & Gordon (bought August 2014, up over 10% - a company that has broken into the UK and appears to have lovely growth potential in front of them)

Resmed (bought January 2015, up over 12% since buying them). Outstanding!!!

The other companies (Corporate Travel Management & QANTAS with a small hold on TPG - having sold most of the company last year with unbelievable double digit growth), have made positive growth. Some nearing double digit growth.

The next call of mine will be when to exit some of the companies I'm holding to take profits. Technical Analysis will point me in the right direction. Following the trend lines will make that call for me in the not so distant future ….

The Dow Jones this morning is currently up over 300 points at present which points to another great day on our market. This will be the 10th straight day we have made gains here.

Meanwhile, expect the AUD to drop further in the short term. As mentioned previously, selective companies with O/S exposure are likely to be the big winners as well as yield producing stocks like the Banks & Telstra.

Onwards & upwards although I am of the opinion a correction in the market is not that far away ….
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:49pm
stockmarket has gone crazy and there will be a correction.

I am in for the long run though

however I have presently made 15% on direct investment in less than 7 months plus tax benefits in super fund.

better than 15% annually in real estate Macca Wink, not geared though
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 2:19pm
If you have your money in Australian shares you are doing much better than international shares so far this year

While the US market rallied 11 per cent last year, it is slightly negative for 2015; by contrast, our market only rose 1.2 per cent last year but has jumped 6 per cent since the start of the year. According to Bloomberg data, the ASX200 has been the best world performer out of a group of 93 indices since January 20, in local currency terms.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2015/2/6/markets/why-sharemarket-frenzy-could-fizzle
James Bond Esq View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Bond Esq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 2:23pm
Splash on effect. The US market is ahead of the Aussie Market. We will follow the US lead and slow down now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>