Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Chautauqua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 49>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 3:59pm
Nsw have just bought one of Bart’s properties to build a Living Legends type property - locations hawkesbury.

He could spend 6 months in Sydney , 6 months in Melbourne.
This space has been intentionally left blank
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by adolphus twirk adolphus twirk wrote:

I can supply two small torch batteries which would light up his life and encourage a hasty exit from the barriers. Scotch thistle has a similar effect but it is not the growing season. Suppose he was even money favourite in a group 1 race and he dogged the jump? Would stewards guarantee a refund in advance of the race being run? If not forget the batteries and thistles and retire him. May make a great clerk of course horse.

I'm so glad you're not the trainer or owner of Chaut.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
strolling View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strolling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 5:48pm
This horse is just playing games and winning nearly every time.
From all accounts he's working well, and looks sensational.
Monty has faced far bigger challenges than this (with enormous success), so why not give him a go for a week or so, then, if no jump -- retirement.  

Strolling
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by strolling strolling wrote:

This horse is just playing games and winning nearly every time.
From all accounts he's working well, and looks sensational.
Monty has faced far bigger challenges than this (with enormous success), so why not give him a go for a week or so, then, if no jump -- retirement.  

Wanted $100k apparently
strolling View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strolling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 6:19pm
Worth every cent. Good value based on 8.8m+ p'money LOL 

Strolling
therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 6:42pm
It's becoming a joke now. His strike rate leaving the gates is 1/6 since last spring is it not? They need to attach their ego to something else, already. 
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

May make a great clerk of course horse.

What guarantee he'd leave the mounting yard? 

What's wrong with Living Legends? Confused

Too grey...
squibby View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squibby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:16pm
Did anyone that was there today clock him over his last 400m?, was sitting in the stand and didnt look like theres much wrong with the way he hit out. So there goes the injury ideas. Watched him come off the track the day after his last trial and his hind legs where kicking higher than his ears. I see him most mornings during track work and i can tell you he has no injury problems. Brit does an amazing job staying on him coming off the track after his work.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm
The only time they go thru' the anaerobic/cardio pain barrier is in a race so stop comparing apples to oranges Angry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:00pm

The only time they go thru' the anaerobic/cardio pain barrier is in a race so stop comparing apples to oranges Angry
Absolutely!
squibby View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote squibby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
Apples/Oranges??, there’s nothing wrong with him physically. If I was to believe what I read here the only problem he doesn’t have is cancer ( maybe e that’s the next theory I read on here). Did you see him stretch out today or like many did you just watch what was shown via the replays that never showed him hitting out strongly behind them. Yeah he didn’t jump, but damn I would love to be sitting on one that could run it’s last 400 like he did. And I am damn sure you would love to own it.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:47pm
No worries Fonc
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:02pm
You've surely skewered the tubby guy Shov  LOL 

However from a purely racing viewpoint it doesn't really matter if he's well within himself or not, the reality is he simply can't be allowed to start in his current state of mind.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
400mts? What on Earth does that prove? Confused I don't think we even stage 1/4 horse racing any longer & certainly not with prizemoney worth the training fees!
Supreme athletic effort results in pushing thru' the pain barrier for all mammals & being more intelligent than the average horse, I believe he's decided enough's enough, having worked out how to avoid it.
"his hind legs were kicking higher than his ears" & you interpret this as the antics of a happy horse? Perhaps from an unruly 2 or 3yo, not a seasoned 8yo, it's bad behaviour pure & simple Thumbs Down

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:16pm
Sanity prevails.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:18pm
Sorry, make that depth of experience and sanity prevails.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

No worries Fonc
He can't be fonc.....he said sit on him? hell, if Fonc sat on him.....roach back at the very least.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:44pm
The notion that team Hawkes hasn't given Chautauqua solid gallops at speed and had vets check him out from top to toe is ridiculous imo. It suggests we know more about Chautauqua and horse management in general than the Hawkes' and others who have no doubt been consulted, and that the owner doesn't give a fig about his horse. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:51pm
With respect, side issues Blinder.

The bottom is that he doesn't want to race, having now demonstrated that on no less than five occasions.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

The bottom is that he doesn't want to race, having now demonstrated that on no less than five occasions.

Which indicates to me that we do 'know more about Chautauqua and horse management in general than the Hawkes' and others who have no doubt been consulted....'

80% of horse management is commonsense as is much of life Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:42pm

He has demonstrated he is playing games.

Lets see what he might do in a raceday environment, lets see if the competitive spirit kicks in in a raceday trial.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:46pm
Like Gay says.  Common sense.   Common sense is telling us he dont want to be a race horse,  he has had a gutfull,  he has got it over his handlers/riders/trainers, and he is basically saying they can get stuffed.
Just quit now FF$.    Its gone beyond funny to ridiculous that they keep pushing him to do what he aint never going to do again, except show them up every time. 

animals before people.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:30pm

I was referring to the continued comments regarding his underlying physical health SC. To be precise he doesn't want to jump, although I did read that he has jumped from stalls privately - which might be bs, and is largely irrelevant irrespective. Ironically we, and they, are further down the road but appear to be still in the same place. I'd be showing him a picture of Takeover Target
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Like Gay says.  Common sense.   Common sense is telling us he dont want to be a race horse,  he has had a gutfull,  he has got it over his handlers/riders/trainers, and he is basically saying they can get stuffed.
Just quit now FF$.    Its gone beyond funny to ridiculous that they keep pushing him to do what he aint never going to do again, except show them up every time. 

The horse is not telling us anything.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:48pm
If Chautauqua were human, he’d be a comedian.
He is just playing mind games with his humans, making them look like idiots and laughing to himself because he knows he will go home and get a feed, a rug and plenty of people fussing over him.
He has made up his mind that he doesn’t want to work anymore, can’t blme him to be honest. Just let him do what he wants to do.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:16am

Which indicates to me that we do 'know more about Chautauqua and horse management in general than the Hawkes' and others who have no doubt been consulted....'

80% of horse management is commonsense as is much of life Smile
Agree, however you miss one important word Gay, = empathy, I feel in my bones that is missing with these connections. It's all about them.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:31am
The balance between horse welfare and the fiduciary responsibilities of the legal entities that manage him on behalf of shareholders.The balance is easy with a maiden with few prospects. Not so easy with a Ferrari in the garage you cannot drive. In this case there is a valuable asset with no apparent welfare issues other than a lack of desire to leave the barriers. I would imagine lawyers might be consulted in the case of a retirement. Rupert Legh as managing owner must explore all options before making the decision to liquidate the legal agreements, if for no other reason than to cover himself.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 9:35am
Chat is looking at a long and happy retirement at Living Legends, pity the poor buggers that don't carry the same profile and financial ledger, they after refusing to jump suffer a far different fate.....we won't dwell on that though as 'Life's a bugger, then you die'......unless you're blessed, and very few are....
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 11:28am
I'd let him in a race now without any more trials, with a warning in the racebook and form guides. It would be fun.Big smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 11:39am
Perhaps they could trial him on a Saturday race day, in front of the crowd might spur him on
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 49>