Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Chautauqua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 49>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 11:15am
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 11:19am
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 11:35am
Retired now surely? Has been given so many chances.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:03pm
Nah, 8.8 ain't enough...back to the trials
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

What a callous analogy Shocked
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Or, it's like having a horse that's probably had enough
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:28pm
I wonder if stewards can just ban the horse, full stop.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Was barred pending successful trial. Failed to jump again. Is the bar simply indenifinte until he does eventually pass?
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:43pm
Sad way for a horse like him to end his career.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:45pm
Muttering on SSR this morning that Chau must pass multiple trials to race in NSW
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. Was barred pending successful trial. Failed to jump again. Is the bar simply indenifinte until he does eventually pass?

I think they ended up banning Here De Angels didn’t they?
Same as So Si Bon , he was banned unless they gelded him
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing - horrible way for a star to go out by being banned from racing.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:34pm
Goes back to original ban.
Has to pass 2 “consecutive” trials

1 jumpout and 1 trial will be accepted in Vic
2 trials in NSW
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm
Chaut has just got it all worked out! Why bust a gut running around a track when if he just stands there he'll get taken back to his comfy stable and have a feed without doing any work at all. It probably goes back to being scratched at the barrier at MV that night , which would have put the idea in his head. I don't think anyone could be 100% sure he'd jump every time now no matter how much work you did with him.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by VSP. VSP. wrote:

I was thinking the same thing - horrible way for a star to go out by being banned from racing.

I agree.   Why dont the owners show some grace and let him go out in style, instead of like this ?   He is making a fool of them all.  He is smarter than they are. 
animals before people.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 2:43pm
i think it was worth giving him another go but surely now he is telling them he doesn't want to be there
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 2:58pm
So basically has to jump in two consecutive trials? Common sense suggests it's got to a stage where this would be insufficient.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:01pm
If they're going to persist with Chautauqua they should trial him 3 times on raceday between races to see if the adrenaline of raceday gets him going. 8 o'clock in the morning with no atmosphere probably does nothing. I say this only if they persist with him.

reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:13pm
No official requirement in NSW, and owners are likely to give him more chances according to this:
Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 3:22pm

He’s not obviously in any pain so I can think of some worse ways to end a career.
I actually quite like the way that he seems to be making the decision and controlling the end to his racing career.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:12pm
Rupert Legh you are a flog, five official trials in a row he has done this now plus the couple of times in Melbourne

“If he does it once or twice more then we’ll sit down and make a good decision at the right time when there’s not the emotion running through the system
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:13pm
Just retire him already... if it was any other horse he would’ve been banished already.
Look at what happened to Survived on Saturday.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:26pm

I don't see that as horrible. It's not what the horse is or what he achieved.

What's horrible is this persistent attempt to ignore the messages the horse is sending, that he no longer wants to race.

I'm not one for the animal activists by any stretch, and argue black and blue that the whip rule is a joke. But I draw the line at this stuff. The poor bugger doesn't want to race anymore after giving his all for years.

Let him be.
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm
Wayne Hawkes phone interview to be on racing.com ch78 at 3.40pm eastern. So, two minutes
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I don't see that as horrible. It's not what the horse is or what he achieved.

What's horrible is this persistent attempt to ignore the messages the horse is sending, that he no longer wants to race.

I'm not one for the animal activists by any stretch, and argue black and blue that the whip rule is a joke. But I draw the line at this stuff. The poor bugger doesn't want to race anymore after giving his all for years.

Let him be.

I meant the same thing as you Sunline - so unfair to put a great horse in a situation like this. He's not the problem, he's telling them & they are just not listening. And I think that is what is horrible - that stubborn connections are putting a black mark against a Champion who deserves better.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm
I admire the sneaky grey bugger. Smarter than the average bear.Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 6:00pm
Hawkes sounds like he wants to retire but other parties not so much.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I admire the sneaky grey bugger. Smarter than the average bear.Wink

Agreed.

If the owners want to keep forking out for the horse to be prepared for barrier trials i do not see the problem.

The horse is not being tortured.

How somebody can compare it with Survived is just idiotic in the extreme.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How is it any different? They're similar ages, both 'supposedly' perfectly sound.
Survived & other race day/training fatalities underline the fact that no matter how many experts stress they are sound, no one is infallible.
The only difference is the grey horse has worked out how to avoid breaking down irreparably.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

How is it any different? They're similar ages, both 'supposedly' perfectly sound.
Survived & other race day/training fatalities underline the fact that no matter how many experts stress they are sound, no one is infallible.
The only difference is the grey horse has worked out how to avoid breaking down irreparably.

He could just as likely break a leg galloping in his paddock.

It is a nonsense to compare them, it is hysterical nonsense.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 49>