Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Chautauqua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chautauqua
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:28pm
A champion on the racetrack, Chautauqua is thriving in his life after racing as a show horse and striving for new victories.

An event that focuses on the 'wow factor', Chautauqua has adjusted quickly to his new career where he will be judged strictly on his looks, movement and action.

Remembered now by many for standing in the gates and refusing to jump, which led to his retirement, Chautauqua was an incredible racehorse who won six Group 1s and more than $8 million in prizemoney.

In the care of former jockey Casey Bruce and media personality Rob Gaylard, Chautauqua was identified as a horse that could have a successful show career.

Racing.com's Karl Kaldawi has followed Chautauqua's progression since day one of his new journey and will continue to do so over the next 12 months as he strives to reach big goals.

You can watch the first edition of 'Chautauqua - A New Journey' on Tuesday at 5:15pm (AEST) on racing.com Channels 68/78 or Foxtel 529, as well as the racing.com digital site or App.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:36pm
Oh come on. You’d be surprised how many would agree!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:31pm
Off The Track
2 hrs ·

We are thrilled to announce that Chautauqua has found his home Off The Track with former jockey Casey Bruce and Rob Gaylard who will re-train the famous grey as a show horse. We will be tracking their progress so watch this space!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:22pm
It's repetitive, boring & irrelevant to bring Weirs' name into every thread possible - hence the hidden post Disapprove

Edited by Gay3 - 26 Jul 2019 at 9:23pm
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:54pm
Interestingly, he hasn’t been officially retired despite it being mandatory that a retirement form is lodged within 1 month of retirement.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:51pm
Good news. He is a beautiful boy, will go a long way with the right people.
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:41pm
Apparently going to be a show horse! I hope so as he will be a freakin **SUPERSTAR** in the show ring and it's a great look for racing
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:14pm
I'd keep sending him out. Reserve the outside gate for him and if he jumps, he's in. If not, he's not.

Get some anarchy in the markets. How could it be any worse than the current deductions calculation?
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:04am
The assumption that if a horse doesn't want to leave the barrier, it means he has mentally had enough is a long bow to draw. I would look at his demeanour around the stables, training tracks, his energy and willingness to run. How is he once he starts running? There could be other factors at play.

However, he's an 8YO now, 6 Group 1 wins and over $8.8 Million in earnings, I think he's had a good innings.

What a champion.
Mayor
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
It's just greedy what they are doing

EAD
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

I’ve been working with horses since the day I was born.
I can 1000% guarantee Chautauqua has had enough.

Shame his owners never had your sense , MK. 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:18pm

I'll listen to your experience , MK

The scalpel deprived him of so much.   
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:32pm
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:18pm
How does taking him overseas help? Are there places you can use a jigger at the starting gate?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:09pm
Hate should be yatte , wish we could delete stuff
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:08pm
Money is the root of all evil 😡 and yes I know the owners don’t need the money hate yatte yatte, but he’s made them millions, he blatantly doesn’t want to participate, he’s getting old for a racehorse, imagine the shame if he breaks down.
I heard a month ago he’s being brought back in order to race overseas, was praying it’s fake news. Why why why persist? One answer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + greed - compassion
As to whether he secretly wants to renew his career -
What horses REALLY love doing is hanging out in a paddock with their mates eating grass, and god knows he hasn’t had much of that.
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:07pm
Had nothing to do with the instant backlash I'm sure
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:05pm
Rupert Legh, Chautauqua's managing owner, had a change of heart on Tuesday after stating there was a chance the horse could go back into work a few hours prior.

Legh told RadioTAB that Chautauqua could return to racing if he gained permission to trial from stewards.

The owner then spoke to RSN in Melbourne and put out a vastly different message stating Chautauqua will never race again.

“All I said (in the radio interview) was that a hell of a lot of water would have to flow under the bridge to even contemplate the first notion of a comeback,” Legh said.

“Won’t happen. He’s retired. That’s the end of it. I should have made that clearer.

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/is-chautauqua-coming-back-into-work-20190219

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Rupert Legh is a sweetheart.
Let the poor bugger retire in peace, he clearly doesn’t wanna do it anymore..

Sorry but unless you work with the horse, you have zero way of knowing that

Yes, that works real well as evidenced in his past ?? 6? barrier trials/jumpouts prior to which 'connections' stated he still wanted to race Big smile
Crikey, anyone'd think you need a Doctorate in Animal Psychology to work out if he wanted to race or not Confused

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

So what do you think will have changed with age ???  

He might be happier now. Neither of us know

Suddenly he is going to want to race again ? 

[/COLOR]=red]Maybe[/COLOR]

As you age do you want to come out of your comfort zone and go running around like a teenager ?

Actually I do. I’m young of mind

Dont think so, and dont think he would want to either.
Bit of common sense wouldnt hurt here .

Common sense or guess work on you behalf?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:46pm
PS.  He beat them what ? 8/10 times?  but they are happy for him to make them look stupid again ?Wacko
animals before people.
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:45pm
Hahaha, people questioning IF there is an issue...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:44pm
So what do you think will have changed with age ???   Suddenly he is going to want to race again ? 
As you age do you want to come out of your comfort zone and go running around like a teenager ?
Dont think so, and dont think he would want to either.
Bit of common sense wouldnt hurt here .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
That was then this is now
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

This might have something to with it

T Left at Post of 7RAND 27Feb18 1050m Heavy8 OPEN-BT $000 Brenton Avdulla 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Conquest 0kg, 2nd Diamond Tathagata 0kg 1:02.23 (600m 34.20)
T Left at Post of 5RAND 27Feb18 1050m Heavy8 OPEN-BT $000 Brenton Avdulla 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Houtzen 0kg, 2nd Happy Clapper 0kg 1:03.15 (600m 34.10)
T Left at Post of 8RHIL 08Mar18 900m Soft5 OPEN-BT $000 Brenton Avdulla 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Vegas Strip 0kg, 2nd Lifeline Princess 0kg 0:53.10 (600m 34.10)
T Left at Post of 9CTRN 19Mar18 800m Good4 3UP-TRL $000 Dwayne Dunn 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Pleasant 0kg, 2nd Illustrious Lad 0kg 0:47.72 (600m 34.40)
T Left at Post of 10RHIL 23Jul18 900m Good4 G&L BT $000 Tommy Berry 0kg Barrier 0 
1st She Will Reign 0kg, 2nd Takedown 0kg 0:54.80 (600m 34.70)
T 10th of 10RHIL 07Aug18 900m Good4 OPEN-BT $000 Tommy Berry 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Auchentoman 0kg, 2nd Kennedy 0kg 0:54.71 (600m 34.60), 92.6L
T 2nd of 8RHIL 25Aug18 1000m Soft5 OPEN-BT $000 Tommy Berry 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Zousain 0kg, 3rd Dixie Blossoms 0kg 1:00.59 (600m 34.92), 0.2L
T Left at Post of 6M V 28Sep18 1000m Good4 3UP-TRL $000 Tommy Berry 0kg Barrier 0 
1st Keen Array 0kg, 2nd Elite Drake 0kg 0:59.49
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:27pm

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
He just doesn’t wanna do it anymore, its pretty simple.
When they don’t wanna do it, they won’t.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Hopefully he is retired. It is not a good thing if the welfare of the horse is outweighed by the legal obligations of the manager.

What exactly is the welfare issue ?

Are we saying racing is unsafe ? 

I dont know why the horse doesn't want to leave the barriers and seemingly nobody else does either. Is he a safety risk should he jump and then decide mid race that he doesn't want to go any further as Pakistan Star did? What if that was in the middle of a field? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Hopefully he is retired. It is not a good thing if the welfare of the horse is outweighed by the legal obligations of the manager.

It's obvious something wasn't right with the horse mentally.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:54pm

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>