Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Timmy's Goooone..!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timmy's Goooone..!
    Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 11:34am
Tim Martin steps away from training
Nic Ashman - 17/03/2014
Group I-winning trainer Tim Martin is handing back his boxes at Rosehill to spend more time with his family.

Martin has saddled up some of the best horses to grace the Australian turf including Exceed And Excel, winner of the Newmarket Handicap and sire of last year’s 2YO Triple Crown winners.

Martin, who has been training horses since 1988, will focus on breaking in horses at Heritage Park in Picton, south of Sydney.

He’ll maintain his trainer’s licence but the 30 boxes currently held at Rosehill will be relinquished.

This is amazing, the top trainers dominate the scene so much, if G1 trainers can't compete then who can?? Any idea where the boxes are going? Best of luck to Tim in his change of scenery, living somewhere he can behave Big smile
to the victor
monty View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 11:41am
30 more boxes for Waller.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 11:44am
please god no more!!!! he has enough! all the smaller trainers are already becoming feeder stables for him, pre-training them in hordes... it's too much! I want some competitionDead
to the victor
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 11:44am
Good on him for putting the family first
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:00pm
Judging by the topic title , Linghi is a fan of the footy show!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:09pm
Reality is that his clients spent millions before and after E&E's success for extremely little return.

A great career change given owners have left him for very good reason imo.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:34pm
I wonder who'll take on the very promising, imo, apprentice Ichikawa?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:52pm
we will be down to a half dozen trainers in Sydney within 10 years...
Panspermia.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:38am
He is a good man Tim Martin , a loss to our training ranks
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:33am
Any reason for Tim shifting, a business decision or personal reasons. With the recent publicity about depression is Tim another victim.  
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by spinner spinner wrote:

Any reason for Tim shifting, a business decision or personal reasons. With the recent publicity about depression is Tim another victim.  

He has been quoted as wanting to spend more time with his family, particularly his children & Saturday sports.

There may be a business aspect to it, but it appears to be a lifestyle choice.

Best of luck to him.
spinner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:55am
He has been quoted as wanting to spend more time with his family, particularly his children & Saturday sports.

nothing wrong with that, you cant get the time back later. good luck
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:58am
Perhaps a few health concerns as well - burning the candle at both ends is not much of a lifestyle; if they wanted to chase away depression and stop people leaving, they need to open tracks closer to daylight hours. Tim's a nice bloke, it'll be sad to see him go.
to the victor
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:57pm
You can't chase away depression.

However, I do not have a problem with putting in place systems to assist the mental well being of industry participants.

As we have seen with the Jonothan Trott situation mental well being & depression are two significantly different things and should not be clouded.

Afterall you could be the wealthiest person in the world & bed the hottest people in the world yet be struck down with the crippling aspects of depression.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 1:28pm
I am not sure Tim's actually depressed. Chronic lack of sleep can manage to cause all manners of health angst.
to the victor
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:46pm
His last 50 runners have been extremely disappointing. Many short priced, most at the provincials or in the country. Very few have won. His last winner was at Armidale...how the owners are meeting their bills I do not know. His poor results with a huge team trained out of the city must be driving his owners into the soup kitchen. Not trying to be cruel, but these are the hard economic realities. He may have made a very good business decision to leave city training. He had a great strike rate before he moved to the city. It has gone downhill fast in recent years. I would be depressed too, if my business was going so badly. Just check out his last 50 runners. Well bred horses too. The results are bonfires of dollar bills. No hard feelings from me and a genuine recognition that businesses do fail, for all sorts of reasons.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:20pm
maybe he needs to go back to the bush and unwind in the great New England air.
whatever he does, best of luck to him .
animals before people.
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:08pm
Think there's a lot more to it than seems. This is one of several trainers who have been millions of dollars in debt. Remember it was only a year or two ago that he announced he was cutting back his numbers to concentrate on the really good horses. There are quite a few trainers in Sydney who racked up massive debts in buying yearlings that never produced the necessary results, and which were never taken up - fully - by cashed up owners. 
Also, the books that Racing NSW doesn't open to the public are the trainers' accounts - remember this, that each and every trainer operates what is in effect a bank account with RNSW, so they can put debts against this account (e.g. various racing fees, BOBS nominations etc) and then offset those with prizemoney percentages. When you rack up the debts, you need the income to pay for them. When the horses don't win, you remain in debt.
Some of the biggest household names among Sydney trainers are almost permanently in debt to RNSW.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:01am

MARTIN VOWS TO GET BACK ON TRACK

THERE is more to the story surrounding trainer Tim Martin’s sudden departure from Rosehill.

Martin dropped a bombshell this month when he revealed he would step away from training to focus on his family and breaking in horses.

“I want to spend more time with my family, I want to be able to go to watch my kids play sport on weekends and the lifestyle of a trainer doesn’t allow me to do that,’’ he told Racing Network at the time.

Sadly, Martin has been doing it tough for some time. Being a proud country boy, he has a good poker face. Only a few close mates know the real story.

But the Group 1 trainer yesterday vowed to get his life — and training career — back on track.

“Like many people around my age, I’ve had some challenges over the years and I’ve always risen to those challenges,’’ Martin said.

“I want to make it clear that I have not handed in my training licence. My aim is to continue working in the horseracing industry.

“To my staff, owners and associates who are affected by my actions, I’m sincerely sorry.

“For the sake of my health, my family and general wellbeing, I’m taking a break.

“I am extremely grateful for the support I’ve received from friends, family, Racing NSW, NSWTA and my colleagues.

“While I sort through my issues I’d ask that the privacy of myself and my family is respected.’’

Expect Martin to be back.

to the victor
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:04am
It's unreal how heavily mental illness has hit the racing industry of late. Or maybe it always has but only now are people brave enough to speak about it and it's encouraging others to deal with the illness.

Who knows but it's great if anyone effected is seeking help. It's a killer of middle-aged men.
Sunline...simply supreme
Winning Run View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winning Run Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:12am
I wouldn't be jumping into the mental illness side of things. Issue is more to do with what TM has slipped into with poor personal choices and the Mrs having had enough and wanting out and potentially taking him to the cleaners doing so.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:15am
haha if you know Tim you know he's a tad of a party boy... but he also does have some health concerns (hence he lost some weight over the past few years) I heard somewhere that Crohn's may be the culprit and it does not bode well with a wild lifestyle. Good luck to him and Mel, think they're planning to train from Heritage where they spell and pre-train 
to the victor
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Winning Run Winning Run wrote:

I wouldn't be jumping into the mental illness side of things. Issue is more to do with what TM has slipped into with poor personal choices and the Mrs having had enough and wanting out and potentially taking him to the cleaners doing so.

The perfect scenario for depression I would've thought Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Ammy42 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammy42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:09am
I would think that, in such a high-pressure, high-risk and high-cost industry, depression and other mental illnesses must be a very serious issue, from the gamblers to the trainers. I worked in AFL for a while, similar thing, you'd be surprised at just how many players have those sorts of issues. Definitely think that more should be done to help.
oldmate View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 1:54pm
It looks like the word depression is the latest word to use when ever you hear anything about anything. Take this thread for example. A horse trainer is slowing down his operation so the first thing that people write is that he must have depression. Even when its pointed out that he does not have depression than people still write that he must have depression. Its a bit like a few years ago when a couple of celebrities had a BRAIN SNAP. Every time someone done something silly and made a goose of themselves they had a brain snap. Now it seems that brain snap has slowed down a bit and every single time some one does anything than they must have depression.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

Judging by the topic title , Linghi is a fan of the footy show!

haha I am not... but I must know a few people who are!
to the victor
oldmate View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:05pm
I forgot to mention Bipolar as well. Remember a few years ago everyone had Bipolar. Every time someone done something different than they had Bipolar. Imagine being a judge in a court of law a few years ago. Every crims excuse was Bipolar. Now depression is the new faze. I do understand that people suffer from depression but not every single person that does something different is suffering from depression.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:17pm
well yes I did mention he was most likely not depressed.. just actual physical health (and matrimonial health) concerns 
to the victor
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 1:37pm
I think this threads heading is a little offensive.

The poor guy is suffering a little right at the moment and someone acts like Fatty Vautin talking about a footy teams finals chances.

I can not wait to read the Alex Macinnon thread titled, A young kid finds a new direction in life.

I am all for fun and frivolity but a persons health is where we should draw the line!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 1:49pm
Are you personally offended Voyager..? As you may or may not be able to read in the original post, no health concerns were raised at the time the thread was started and the thread title has a lot more to do with how hard it is for talented horsemen to make a living in Sydney when certain guys are monopolizing racing. I know Tim personally and he's partial to a joke and I wish him all the best with training from a more relaxed setting without other guys breathing down his neck trying to poach his horses and owners. 
to the victor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>