Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Subzero - Australian Racing Hall of Fame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 3:31pm
The old boy is 28 today, looking well for his age too
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 3:57pm
Tongue I met him once at a Melbourne do before the Cup.  Very patient horse!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:20pm
https://www.g1x.com.au/videos/subzero-is-like-a-son-to-me#.V5yZ54annn5.facebook

No idea if this'll reproduce  for those not on FB, it's not up on their site yet.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 5:11pm
A good picture of him with his owner Graham eating some carrot cake in the Sun today.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:31pm
Could well be the last Melbourne Cup winner I picked weeks before the event.....   EmbarrassedConfused

Happy birthday Subbie. Party

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:43pm
Not much good on a dry track but very effective on a rain effected track.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:48pm
Subby's stablemate won another rae today. Love her colours

NORSIKA

5yo Bay Mare
D.O.B: 22-Sep-2011
by HENRYTHENAVIGATOR (USA)  from BALLYMOON (NZ)
5x Pedigree Report

Status Active
Owner’s Details (updated nightly) Mr G D Salisbury, Mrs A Salisbury, Miss N Salisbury
Stewards Embargoes None on record
Emergency Vaccination Record (Click here for more details)
Last Gear Change* 14-Apr-2016, Bandages, On
Trainer Mr Graham Salisbury (Bendigo)
Racing Colours Pale Blue, Subzero Logo, Pink Hooped Sleeves

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:09pm
reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
Superstar
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:13pm
Some great photos and videos on this twitter feed - https://twitter.com/subzerohorse?lang=en
reductio ad absurdum
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:20pm
He is an old marvel bless him.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:42pm
Such a beauty, saw him at an event at Horsham a few years ago. He is something special for sure
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:47pm
reductio ad absurdum
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:56pm
What a legend...walking around hospital wards with just a head collar

Onya subbie.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:08pm
Just saw a tweet, On this day 26 years ago Subzero won his first race at his 5th attempt as a 2yo.

reductio ad absurdum
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 11:41pm
Subbies 1st win was a 1600m 2yo race on GN Hurdle day at Flemington on a Heavy track on 6th July 1991.

His 2nd win was only a week later on 13th July, GN Steeplechase day at Flemington again on a Heavy track.

This victory was a 2000m race for 2yo's.

Those were the days. Jumps racing at Flemington and 2000m races for 2yo's. Thumbs Up

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:12am
What a bloody legend this horse is, I remember him coming to my High School!
Great to see him still going.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:36am
It's amazing to think he's still out there doing his work but that is what is probably keeping him going (that and the obvious loving attention his mate gives him).  He's still got an interesting life with lots of attention and things to look forward to.  He seems to love people so what a life he's been given.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 1:58pm

Subzero the champion.
The world’s best horse Winx pulled a crowd of just over 9000 last week. Do we need to add “only” or is that a pass mark these days?

And what a show she puts on, as good as Franklin or Slater, raising hairs on necks, creating the illusion of vulnerability but like a master magician as much as the superior racehorse, climbing out of the locked box to even greater greatness.

Yet obviously whilst admired, and despite all the marketing and modern day social media pizzazz, she hasn’t really resonated outside of racing’s bubble.

If there is a horse that has done that – and it’s not really Black Caviar either, it is Subzero, the 1992 Melbourne Cup winner, but for the last 23 years, thanks to his mate Graham Salisbury, racing’s best and most natural ambassador.

Why? Because the big grey horse has touched lives of countless children in schools, the elderly in old people’s home, as well as rubbing shoulders with Sheik Mohammed in Dubai, stars from Hugh Jackman to Kylie Minogue, heads of state and punters from all walks of life.

He has bowed, nodded, answered questions and as much amazed and engaged with an audience racing has rarely been able to touch.

But is all this coming to an end? Well Subbie is 28, that he is alive and as well as he can be is a bonus, most horses his age either aren’t his age or waiting in a paddock to shuffle off.

No Subbie is still doing his thing with Salisbury at schools and retirement homes around Victoria, in fact he’ll be at Hopper’s Crossing schools next Wednesday, but his contract with Racing Victoria expires next month.

Salisbury is unsure of what are RV’s plans.

“They still want me to do schools but say the old people’s homes aren’t feasible any more, whatever that means,” Salisbury told Just Racing.

It comes at the same time Salisbury learned his former clerk of the course mates (he can’t ride anymore because of a back injury) Peter and Shane Patterson were sounded out about using their grey horses for the RV schools program.

“They (the Patterson’s) asked me what was going on, I didn’t know anything about it, but they said they wouldn’t be taking my job.”

But there is only one grey horse and that is Subbie.

“There will never be another Subbie,” Salisbury proudly says. “You’ll never get another horse doing what he can do and what he has done.”

“From when I got him (for $1 off owners including David Kobritz) they asked what I was going to do wtih him. I told them I wanted to make him the people’s horse and that’s what he is.”

This is not a “Who shot Bambi” story, but not to have Subbie doing his stuff for racing with kids agog at his answering questions like ‘do you have a girlfriend?” (To which he nods), to lighting up the faces of the elderly for a moment taking the boredom from their lives, is as close as it gets.

The stipend Salisbury’s contract is worth is insignificant to the priceless joy and engagement he brings on the job and over almost a quarter of a century.

RV says they still want Subbie on the job but is restructuring his role.

“I can confirm that we will continue to utilise Subzero for our Community Program subject to the health and availability of both the horse and his handler Graham Salisbury,” RV Spokesperson Shaun Kelly said.

“With a desire to increase the number of schools visited, particularly in metropolitan Melbourne, there is a growing need for multiple horses to service the program moving forward. Subzero’s age and country base means that increasing the number of visits he makes to schools in metropolitan Melbourne may not be in the best interests of the horse.”

Yes Subzero is 28, Salisbury has had some battles with cancer, but it has never been an issue to cover the miles from his Heathcote base near Bendigo to visit schools and homes right across Victoria.

Kelly also confirmed that RV is now in the stages of implementing a plan to grow the number of horses available for use within their Community Program and this is likely to include some Clerk of Course horses in addition to Subzero.

He also admitted the focus would now be solely on schools than the aged care facilities.

“Racing Victoria (RV) is in the process of expanding and enhancing our Community Program so that more children of primary school ages can develop a better appreciation and understanding of horses.

“We are wholly committed to building and growing engagement with youth – particularly those based in metropolitan areas with less exposure to horses – by promoting all the positive benefits associated with the sport of racing which starts with the love and appreciation of the horse.

“While support services will still be offered to older members of the community in aged care facilities, schools will remain the core focus of our Community Program. RV will continue to schedule visits to other facilities where time, proximity from schools to that facility and the condition of the horse(s) on the day, permits us to do so,” Kelly said.

Salisbury is keen to keep the visits to the elderly on Subbie’s roster (which is about 100 school visits a year.

“I just love doing them, when you go there, they love seeing him, it brightens up their lives and takes them back in time. I’d just need to be sponsored, I couldn’t afford to do it,” Salisbury said.

RV will say they are in no way underplaying the love of the public for Subzero but Salisbury has gone above and beyond the terms of his contract to take Subbie to the people.

“The other day we were booked to do a school in Preston and it was raining, the principal said he’d have to cancel it. I said to him let’s do it in the hall. He couldn’t believe it and Subbie just walked into that hall, Channel 7 turned up and there were 300 kids there. The principal said he’d never seen anything like it,” he said.

This is all started for Subbie some years ago when he was asked if he’d take Subbie to a school in Altona. He did and it blossomed from there, first a contract with Tooheys before RV put him on their roster.

“I reckon the horse and me have given pretty good service to racing. It’s hardly a job, we both loving do it, we are mates, he’s like a son to me, he’d follow me anywhere,” Salisbury said.

And he has. And let’s hope he can for years of healthy life for horse and handler to come. There is only one Subzero. And racing needs him as much if not more than they need Winx right now.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm
Obviously there are no future punters in Aged Care facilities.

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 3:26pm
Just the people who maybe remember his win in the cup.  Plenty of people pick a grey when one runs so many would also have had a win on him in the Cup.  Hope someone steps into sponsor them to continue the visits.  It obviously gives the horse and handler great pleasure and the same thing for the people they visit.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:24pm
29yo and still in remarkable health!
Leading them out into the track for his tribute race
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:23am
Full marks to his buddy and carer for keeping him that way.   Saw him live on his Cup Day, and so pleased I did.  What a legend.  Saw him again on TV on Tuesday. What an amazing old horse .  Racing needs these kinds of ambassadores, especially to educate the young to care for horses.
animals before people.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 10:43am
he visited my daughters pre school a couple of years ago, he is amazing!
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:30am
It seems that Salisbury goes beyond what he has to fairly often
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
Graham Salisbury, known for his work with Melbourne Cup winner and industry ambassador Subzero, has been taken to hospital as he battles cancer.

Salisbury's daughter Nikki provided an update on his condition on her Facebook page on Monday night, thanking everyone for their wishes and messages of support.

"Just an update on Dad (Graham). Sadly he is back in hospital, he was transferred from the local hospital to Bendigo by ambulance with a temperature of 39.5," Nikki wrote.

"They have found that his white blood cells are dangerously low, this is all we really know at this point, hopefully we will know more tomorrow and will update you all as we know more.

"We would like to thank everyone for the amazing kindness and generosity, from something as simple as taking the time to comment with your kind words, or call to check in on how we all are, and keeping us in your prayers, to people sending us extremely generous offers.

"Dad, Mum and I can honestly not thank you enough.

"Please just keep my Dad in your prayers, I would give absolutely anything to take this awful time in his life away from him."

Salisbury works tirelessly with Subzero to promote the racing industry as an ambassador through Racing Victoria's community education program, visiting many schools and hospitals across the country.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:11pm
Image result for fingers crossed emoji
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:43pm
Yeah same here, worked with him at uncle Tony's, nice fella and a bit of fun , chin up old boy.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:51pm
Just on Subzero...was he a good stayer? I know he won the Melbourne Cup...I ask as I was only 5 yrs old when he had that good 1992 year.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
Yes.
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>