Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Subzero - Australian Racing Hall of Fame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subzero - Australian Racing Hall of Fame
    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:43am
123 peak Timefoem rating (achieved in the 1992 Melbourne Cup). Good effort
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:11pm
Subzero passed away at 2:38am, the exact same time as his best mate Grahame Salsbury passed away a few months earlier. Now they are together again. 
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:26pm
Oh thats so sad.    But he is better gone to join his mate Grahame across the rainbow bridge,,,,,poor old boy without his mate,,,,,we all knew he wouldnt last long once Grahame was gone.
R I P old champ,,,,,,what a horse,,,,
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm
R.I.P. you marvelous old horse.  
He has become part of racing folk lore.  People just loved him.  
Summer Regent View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer Regent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:43pm
So well put, Jamal. Such a beautiful story. 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:49pm
R.I.P Subzero. A good career on the track including the 1992 Melbourne Cup but his achievements off the track made him an icon and ambassador for Aussie racing. Such a lovely kind horse. A great innings. Farewell "Subbie".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:26pm
ps.  i think he has been a greater horse off the track than on it ? 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:25pm
i saw him win the cup.  cant really comment tho, as its so long ago i can barely remember Cry
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Can anyone tell me how good Sunzero was?

I have seen his major wins and he seened good. But any of you around that saw him race? Inwas only five yrs old when he won the Cup in 1992. His record suggests he was a wet-tracker.

I mean..would Subzero beat any of the Melbourne Cup winners from the past 20 years?

I remember I got the trifecta that year and it paid about $6.50.Angry Well not that low but far less than I was expecting. It must be the record low MC dividend.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:16am
Can anyone tell me how good Sunzero was?

I have seen his major wins and he seened good. But any of you around that saw him race? Inwas only five yrs old when he won the Cup in 1992. His record suggests he was a wet-tracker.

I mean..would Subzero beat any of the Melbourne Cup winners from the past 20 years?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 10:25pm
Footage wont play for me.  Can any of you smarties fix it ?    Please ?  Big smile
Happy birthday Subbie, and lets hope you, and Grahame , have many more of them.  Clap
animals before people.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:42pm
Happy 30th Birthday Subbie PartyBeer Clap

Hope the footage plays - I don't do twitter!

https://twitter.com/AndrewNJHawkins/status/1023402438219288576
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:34am
I typed "repeat" not sure how "report" came up .... autocorrect nightmares Confused
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:30am
I'll just report Carche's link which doesn't work due to an extra punctuation mark at the end. Great to see them both out and about.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:03am
Love Graham’s quote that he’s not going to stop until they are closing the lid.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
Subbie and Graham were out at Very Special Kids Hospice yesterday. Despite the 2 hour journey to get there and with Graham in between chemo treatments, the dynamic duo wouldn't let old age or ill health stop them from seeing young faces light up in wonder and delight as gentle Subbie nuzzled in for some one on one special treatment. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:11am
Its so good , what Graham and Subby have done to promote racing.  I remember being at the Melb Cup and seeing this grey horse reefing his head off, going out.  He didnt win, but he should have Big smile
So hope Graham can beat the dreaded C.    Lots of love and wishes to him and Subby.

animals before people.
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
It's great that the industry is supporting Graham and Subbie. After everything they have given out, they deserve it, and more.
Blessings to Graham and Subzero - may they enjoy many more years together.

PS. The book 'Subzero: More than a Melbourne Cup Hero' by Adam Crettenden is a lovely tribute to both the horse and Graham.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:04pm
Subby is in good health. He’ll be 30 this year
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 3:56pm
Best wishes for Graham for a recovery . 
Is Subby ill too ?
Good on Kate Goodrich for getting Subby to see Graham. 
They will be lost without each other for company.
animals before people.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 3:35pm
Saw that piece on yesterday evening's news service. Was incredibly saddened to hear about Salisbury's condition. Can't help but get emotional knowing what these two gentlemen have done for racing over the years, and the countless joy they have brought to lives of kids the nation over, especially those in special care. They are one of a kind. Best wishes to Graham, his family and to his best mate Subbie Heart
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:07pm
His Go Fund Me came up in my FB feed last night so I happened to notice Michael Freedman had donated $500 & Manny G $1000 along with many others whose names I don't know Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:59pm
Subzero went to visit Graham in hospital today (thanks to Kate Goodrich)
Racing Vic are now paying all of Subzeros feed and medical bills
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:59pm
Yes.
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:51pm
Just on Subzero...was he a good stayer? I know he won the Melbourne Cup...I ask as I was only 5 yrs old when he had that good 1992 year.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:43pm
Yeah same here, worked with him at uncle Tony's, nice fella and a bit of fun , chin up old boy.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:11pm
Image result for fingers crossed emoji
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
Graham Salisbury, known for his work with Melbourne Cup winner and industry ambassador Subzero, has been taken to hospital as he battles cancer.

Salisbury's daughter Nikki provided an update on his condition on her Facebook page on Monday night, thanking everyone for their wishes and messages of support.

"Just an update on Dad (Graham). Sadly he is back in hospital, he was transferred from the local hospital to Bendigo by ambulance with a temperature of 39.5," Nikki wrote.

"They have found that his white blood cells are dangerously low, this is all we really know at this point, hopefully we will know more tomorrow and will update you all as we know more.

"We would like to thank everyone for the amazing kindness and generosity, from something as simple as taking the time to comment with your kind words, or call to check in on how we all are, and keeping us in your prayers, to people sending us extremely generous offers.

"Dad, Mum and I can honestly not thank you enough.

"Please just keep my Dad in your prayers, I would give absolutely anything to take this awful time in his life away from him."

Salisbury works tirelessly with Subzero to promote the racing industry as an ambassador through Racing Victoria's community education program, visiting many schools and hospitals across the country.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:30am
It seems that Salisbury goes beyond what he has to fairly often
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>