Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Roman Emperor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Any idea what rate Princess Farm agist mares at?  

Don't know Shrunk, but suspect they wouldn't be doing you any favors.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Any idea what rate Princess Farm agist mares at?

$26 plus GST for dry mares and $31 for wet. I walk my mate on from Fairview Park Stud at Grose Wold which is just around the corner and a little cheaper. Plus they do a great job.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:47pm
Mate = mare.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:28pm
I drive past the stud nearly every ay so it would be nice to have my mare there instead of 5 hours away. Mind you @$26 a day it may be a bridge too far for me
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 2:21pm
With regards to Mikado Writer I sold a full sister to him at this year's winter MM.  She was my pride and joy as she is a big, bold and kind horse who is a great paddock galloper and has pizzazz.  She sold for $4 000 to China!! despite being a half sister to 4x city winners, and from a dual stakes place getter (which was not mentioned during the sale).

I had hoped she would at least go to a good racing home, but that does not look to be the case and I hope that she has a further future as a broodmare.  The other two I sold (who I rated inferior) went to trainers that I am happy with.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 4:40pm
Gee Mumtaz if she impressed you that much why didn't you buy her back? I'm sure you would have felt bad watching her go , will she be shipped away or given at least one chance here?
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:13pm
Because I have to pay over $16K in sale prep etc fees and my weanling had sold poorly and I was not confident about my colt's prospects given the poor performance of the sale (I got THAT right).

I had suggested to the sale prep stud that I wanted a reserve of $6K on the filly given the above - I had originally intended  the reserve to be $10K - but they told me I should have a $4K reserve on her.  Guess what she then sold for.

In truth, I was lucky that the stud let me have any reserve on her.  I will be paying them back over some time.  And I only put the Roman Emperor filly into the sale after checking with MM that it was worth putting a RE filly in there in the first place.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:51pm
Thanks for your response Mumtaz, I didn't take in the ongoing costs ( but should have),
expensive, risky, and the unknown, I wish you well in future endeavours.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:05pm
Thanks Carioca

I think that sale took everyone by surprise (unless you had a Spirit of Boom) as a friend of mine sold a horse for a third of what some professionals had earlier said he was worth; the buyer later said she expected to pay 2-3 times more for the colt.  But he also owed money so had to sell at the price.  In fact, the stud he owed money to would not let him put a reserve on, but were apologetic later as they never thought the colt would sell that low.

All is not lost though (although my RE filly certainly is).  I own her weanling half sister and her mother is in foal to Nom Du Jeu by Montjeu.  I had thought that a 3/4 sibling to my RE filly could be worth something if the RE filly performed to my (probably overconfident) expectations.  But with the China purchase things did not work to plan.

Does anyone know Tommy Xu, the buyer of the RE filly?  I could find little on internet. 
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 6:49pm
From Breednet:

Roman Emperor Looking for a New Home
Tara Madgwick - Sunday August 19
The recent sale of Bart Cummings' Princes Farm to Racing NSW has meant resident sire Roman Emperor is now looking for a new home in which to continue his stud career.

Owned by the estate of Bart Cummings and Dato Tan Chin Nam, Roman Emperor was a high class stayer as his pedigree would suggest winning the Group I ATC Australian Derby and finishing second in the Group I MRC Caulfield Cup.

By world renowned stallion Montjeu (IRE) from a prolific Black Type female family, Roman Emperor was bought from Karaka for $240,000 by Bart Cummings and won back all of that and more, retiring with earnings of $1.4 million.

The same qualities of class and stamina that drew the attention of legendary 'Cups King' Bart Cummings are now being passed on to the offspring of Roman Emperor.

Cummings had great faith in the ability of Roman Emperor to make his mark at stud and that faith has been vindicated despite his status as virtually a private stallion with limited opportunities that have seen him cover less than 200 mares in seven seasons at stud.

Roman Emperor has an impressive 54% winners to runners, his 19 winners headed by stakes-winner Emperor's Way, who runs for Triple Crown Syndications and is trained by Peter and Paul Snowden.
Also Sydney metro winners Roman Son and Latin Boy from the Richard Freedman stable, as well as Imperator Augustus, Nepean, Roman Typhoon and the very promising two year-old debut winner Etheridge, who is being aimed by her trainer John Thompson at Oaks races next year.

A stunning individual representing the powerful Sadler's Wells sireline, Roman Emperor is completely free of Danehill blood and would be a great addition for a farm looking to offer their clients proven world class stamina.

The hottest young staying sire in the world is Montjeu's Epsom Derby winner Camelot and another of Montjeu's Australian Derby winning sons in Nom Du Jeu, sired this year's Group I Hong Kong Derby winner Ping Hai Star. Also let's not forget Cambridge Stud's star Group I sire Tavistock, another super successful sire son of Montjeu, who stands at a fee of $65,000.

Interested parties in Roman Emperor should contact Anthony Cummings on 02 9663 3088.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 6:57pm
Robbo's already been on the dog and bone.  

ps it's rumored Anthony would prefer a settlement in cash, no cheques or EFT if you please.  Wink
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 6:53pm
Really pleased that Roman Emperor found a home and I suspect he will be suited to Victoria. They've priced him at a fee which should be attractive and hopefully he will get a commercial chance.

Even today his son Mandalong Emperor wins over 1000m at Gosford, which bodes well for later over further. Roman Son trials tomorrow and Etheridge, who is on an Oaks path, trials at Wyong next week.

From Breednet:

Roman Emperor to Stand at Mount Brown International
Media Release - Tuesday September 4
Lester O'Grady of Mount Brown International in Victoria is pleased to announced proven stakes sire Roman Emperor will relocate from Princes' Farm in New South Wales to join Diamond Tathagata this spring offering breeders a chance to get 'stuck into Montjeu'.

By world renowned stallion Montjeu (IRE) from a prolific Black Type female family, Roman Emperor was bought from Karaka for $240,000 by legendary trainer Bart Cummings and won back all of that and more, retiring with earnings of $1.4 million.

The same qualities of class and stamina that drew the attention of legendary 'Cups King' Bart Cummings are now being passed on to the offspring of Roman Emperor.

Cummings had great faith in the ability of Roman Emperor to make his mark at stud and that faith has been vindicated despite his status as virtually a private stallion with limited opportunities that have seen him cover less than 200 mares in seven seasons at stud.

Despite the lack of numbers, Roman Emperor has an impressive 54% winners to runners, his 19 winners headed by stakes-winner Emperors Way and Sydney metro winners Roman Son, Latin Boy, Imperator Augustus, Nepean, Roman Typhoon and the very promising two year-old debut winner Etheridge, who is being aimed at Oaks races next year.

A stunning individual representing the powerful Sadler's Wells sireline, Roman Emperor is completely free of Danehill blood so is suitable for a wide range of mares seeking an injection of class and stamina.

His sire Montjeu is rapidly establishing his own sire dynasty in addition to his overall record of 126 stakes-winners worldwide, 31 of them Group I winners headed by superstars St Nicholas Abbey, Fame and Glory, Hurricane Run and even Melbourne Cup winner Green Moon, not to mention Group I winning sires Authorized and Motivator

The hottest young staying sire in the world is Montjeu's Epsom Derby winner Camelot and another of Montjeu's Australian Derby winning sons in Nom Du Jeu, sired this year's Group I Hong Kong Derby winner Ping Hai Star. Also let's not forget Cambridge Stud's star Group I Montjeu son Tavistock, who stands at a fee of $65,000.

"Roman Emperor is a proven stakes producing son of one of the world's best sires and his progeny will be eligible for all the VOBIS incentives and the lucrative Showdown series," said Lester O'Grady.

"Roman Emperor is the only son of Montjeu at stud in Victoria so breeders have a unique opportunity to get stuck into Montjeu right here in our own backyard."

Roman Emperor stands at a fee of $3,300 inc. GST.
For more information contact Lester O'Grady on 0484 783 583 or by email lesterogrady@outlook.com.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:22pm
Gone, too early ,Rip,have a carrot with Bart.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:05pm
So sad. Just when he might have received a commercial book.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:27pm
I read this last week on FB but as I didn't get concrete confirmation on the validity, didn't post. Apparently Kristen Manning told someone or posted it but on checking the Stud Book even a few hours ago,they still hadn't changed his status. Very odd to my way of thinking, I wonder what happened Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I read this last week on FB but as I didn't get concrete confirmation on the validity, didn't post. Apparently Kristen Manning told someone or posted it but on checking the Stud Book even a few hours ago,they still hadn't changed his status. Very odd to my way of thinking, I wonder what happened Confused

Kristen posted a release from Mount Brown that said he had an aneurysm.   I haven’t seen anything further.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
This is sad & disappointing to hear of Roman Emperors passing.

Always follow his progeny when they race.

Now he has passed away prematurely, you can bet that he’ll posthumous get a really, really good horse.

I still think Roman Son has a nice race in him.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:24pm
It is very sad; hopefully I can share in the continuation of his legacy. We have a two year old by him with Bjorn that’s about to come back for a second prep and mentioned on another thread, I’ve got one going to Classic 2019.

Roman Son trialled nicely the other day so hopefully he is over his niggles. Emperors Way trials this week, so hopefully they can both target some early season black type.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 12:16pm
How did Roman Emperor die?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

How did Roman Emperor die?

Apparently an aneurysm.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:50am
Sad we lose these staying stallions. Viewed was another one who was going to go to stud (still had his crown jewels) after he finished racing.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123