Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Zabeel retired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zabeel retired
    Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:41am

Zabeel retired from stud duty

Darryl Sherer - 16/12/2013
A notable chapter in Australasian breeding has been closed with confirmation that Group I winner and multiple champion sire Zabeel has been retired from active stud duties.

Sir Patrick Hogan made the announcement on Monday morning from his Cambridge Stud in New Zealand where the 27yo Zabeel has stood since his retirement to stud in 1991.

"It’s the end of an era and what a ride it’s been for Cambridge Stud,” Sir Patrick Hogan said. "I could never have imagined what Sir Tristram was able to achieve and pretty well immediately afterwards came Zabeel to take over the mantle – it’s been an amazing 33-year run.”

"He’s been an extraordinary horse with three Melbourne Cup winners and four Cox Plate winners and as a sire of sires he’s left a horse like Reset, who has produced a VRC Derby winner (Rebel Raider), a Caulfield Cup winner (Fawkner) and a Cox Plate winner (Pinker Pinker).”

Trained by Colin Hayes for his first two seasons and then David Hayes at four, Zabeel raced for Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum and won seven of his 19 starts and $1.13 million.

He won five stakes, notably the Group I Australian Guineas (1600m) and the Group II Craiglee Stakes (1600m) at four.

Zabeel retired to stud in 1991. Since then he has been the champion sire in New Zealand four times, the champion sire in Australia twice and has headed the broodmare sire list twice in Australia and New Zealand.

"Zabeel’s a great broodmare sire as well and his daughters produced the first (It’s A Dundeel), second (Atlantic Jewel) and third (Dear Demi) in the Underwood Stakes this season.

"I might be biased and the Australians may disagree but in my time, and I’m 74, I can’t identify a horse in the last 50-odd years that has been as successful as him.”

From 1389 of offspring to race, Zabeel has sired 1007 winners with 148 stakes winners and worldwide earnings in excess of $170 million.

His 43 Group I winners include the likes of Octagonal, Might And Power, Efficient, Sky Heights, Vengeance Of Rain, Maldivian, Savabeel, the unbeaten Reset and Jezabeel.

Zabeel had been covering smaller books of mares due to decreased fertility but he was still active in 2013 at a fee of $NZ100,000.

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/95984/Zabeel-retired-from-stud-duty

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:48pm
What a great THOROUGHBRED.

Everything a THOROUGHBRED should be.

Like most stamina influences he was a top grade miler rather than a stayer.

Superb career. Hopefully he has a long retirement.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:51pm
Embedded image permalink
reductio ad absurdum
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:00pm
The word Champion gets used too often these days.  Not in this case.  One of the most influential stallions of modern times.
Munga Rangi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munga Rangi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What a great THOROUGHBRED.

Everything a THOROUGHBRED should be.

Like most stamina influences he was a top grade miler rather than a stayer.

Superb career. Hopefully he has a long retirement.

ClapClapHeart One of the immortals, for sure.
Caveat emptor
Ninski View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ninski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 7:11pm
Absolute champion and breed-shaper. We've been lucky to have him. 
Blacktypepedigree View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacktypepedigree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 7:50pm
Absolutely fabulous stallion with great influence.

Do you know, that we could find BT horse inbred to him?
Jetball View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:28pm
The best source of one paced plodders this hemisphere has ever seen. Good riddance.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Jetball Jetball wrote:

The best source of one paced plodders this hemisphere has ever seen. Good riddance.

What did Jetball achieve ?
reductio ad absurdum
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Jetball Jetball wrote:

What did Jetball achieve ?

carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 9:38am
Huge impact on Australasian racing and breeding. An out and out champion.

On the NZ racing website they've uploaded a video in which Sir Patrick Hogan pays tribute to Zabeel. His parting words are more or less that as time marches on people can forget about Cambridge Stud, but two things he asks people to remember are Zabeel and his sire Sir Tristram.
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 8:10pm
Sensational race horse and even more sensational as a sire.

Hope he spends a few really good retirement years in the paddock.

I still remember seeing him in "action" a few years ago. Very relaxed about the whole business so no surprise that he was still serving at 27 years of age. Very few stallions can do that.

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 9:34pm
Well if his grandson Lonhro was a plodder the ordinary horses must stand still. Black lightning.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:29pm
Anthony Freedman looks to have a smart one.

Kohdinhicolt 2011  
Zabeel (NZ)
Bay 1986
Sir Tristram
Bay 1971
Sir Ivor
Bay 1965
Sir Gaylord
Bay 1959
Turn-To
Somethingroyal
1-w
2-s
Attica
Chestnut 1953
Mr Trouble
Athenia
13-b
8-g
Isolt
Bay 1961
Round Table
Bay 1954
Princequillo
Knight's Daughter
1-b
2-f
All My Eye
Chestnut 1954
My Babu
All Moonshine
1-w
6-e
Lady Giselle
Bay 1982
Nureyev
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Special
Bay 1969
Forli
Thong
3-b
5-h
Valderna
Bay 1972
Val de Loir
Bay 1959
Vieux Manoir
Vali
10-e
5-h
Derna
Bay 1961
Sunny Boy
Miss Barberie
16-a
16-c
Twin Town (GB)
Brown 2003
Halling
Chestnut 1991
Diesis
Chestnut 1980
Sharpen Up
Chestnut 1969
Atan
Rocchetta
2-f
5-i
Doubly Sure
Bay 1971
Reliance
Soft Angels
16-g
2-o
Dance Machine
Bay 1982
Green Dancer
Bay 1972
Nijinsky
Green Valley
8-f
16-c
Never a Lady
Chestnut 1974
Pontifex
Camogie
23-b
10-c
Contiguous
Bay or brown 1998
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Pas de Nom
Bay or brown 1968
Admiral's Voyage
Petitioner
4-n
7-a
Modena
Bay 1983
Roberto
Bay 1969
Hail to Reason
Bramalea
4-n
12-c
Mofida
Chestnut 1974
Right Tack
Wold Lass
10-a
9-e
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m x 4m       

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:29pm
Minus the "h" sorry.
reductio ad absurdum
BJF View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 8:15pm
Sires his 45th group 1 winner today with Provocative winning the QLD oaks. An amazing achievement.

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Jun 2016 at 8:27pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 8:26pm
I see the one above never got the chance to fulfil his potential. 
reductio ad absurdum
.Swynford. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 9:58pm
Zabeel from the #16 family, crossed well with mares that had dams lower in their pedigrees, that traced in male line to other champions from the #16 family, eg Bahram,  Sir Gallahad III, Bull Dog , Dastur, Bois Roussel, etc, a real hottie Reliance.

lots of good fillies carry this pattern. 
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 1:39am
Originally posted by .Swynford. .Swynford. wrote:

Zabeel from the #16 family, crossed well with mares that had dams lower in their pedigrees, that traced in male line to other champions from the #16 family, eg Bahram,  Sir Gallahad III, Bull Dog , Dastur, Bois Roussel, etc, a real hottie Reliance.

lots of good fillies carry this pattern. 

The problem with your theory is that the #16 is one of the worst families for accuracy. Part of the 16 family shares the same mitochondrial haplotype as some members of the #1 family (some branches of 1-k, 1-n, 1-p and 1-u), some of family 2 (specifically 2f) and some of family 8. Some of the 16 family is the same, that is having the most recent common ancestor of Spitfire (1799).

Click this link for the article in Bluebloods that I wrote after our research some years ago. Specifically look at the reference to #16 family.

It's hard, no impossible, for anyone to make any guesses about a stallion "crossing well" with a Bruce Lowe number, when there are significant differences between the Lowe #'s and the actual mitochondrial haplotype of the female family. 
Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm
Byron    I think if you read my post a again it says     "other champions from the #16 family, eg Bahram, Sir Gallahad III, Bull Dog, Dastur, Bois Roussel and a real hottie Reliance

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by .Swynford. .Swynford. wrote:

Byron    I think if you read my post a again it says     "other champions from the #16 family, eg Bahram, Sir Gallahad III, Bull Dog, Dastur, Bois Roussel and a real hottie Reliance

The bloke is on a roll, don't stop him. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 6:42pm
the bloke didn't read my post properly
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 6:56pm
And I 'm on a roll too

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:02pm
I think we all seek Group One glory and most people are happy to spend $100 K and believe that the stallion will do it for you. 

these are the stats below

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:18pm
but we can do so much better than that ,  when Zabeel was mated with Vice Regal mares he produced a Group One winner in every 8 named foals 

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:03pm
Well I can't work out why this has been such a successful nick, so could you explain to the uninitiated please Swynford? Yes, a high number of Gainsborough thru' different sources & Selene (not so many) but that's only back 8 gens Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:06pm
if the Zabeel with the  / ( daughters of Vice Regal)  was an out cross I would give up right here and now. But it isn't.  It full of line breeding.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Swynford. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 8:22pm
I believe any stallion (either present or from the past )  can be bred back too.  Its about using the right mare. 
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 9:05pm
Hello
Zabeel>'s Damsire Nureyev traces to Dalmary and Val de Loir (Sire of Granddam) to Carpet Slipper, both broodmares are HS.

Sunny Boy (Zabeel) is from the Damline of Bahram/Dastur (Concertina).

Maybe it's a bit of Topic via Wilwyn, there is a 'drop' of German Blood, his Sire Oleander (was bred in Germany by the Schlenderhan Stud). Many years ago I discovered, he is (widely) related with the Selene /Gondolette Family, the common ancester is Fenella.

regards, Ticino

Nostradamus II View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nostradamus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:10pm
Damn internal server error when I try and paste pedigree.

The mighty stayer Good Lord has an interesting pedigree along the lines that Swynford is expounding if I understand correctly

1st dam: Love In Bloom - sireline Gainsborough via Hyperion
2nd dam: But Wonderful - sireline Gainsborough via Hyperion
3rd dam: Losari - sireline Gainsborough via Solario
4th dam: Filgaro - sireline Gainsborough via Solario
6th dam: Ravissante - by Gainsborough

For good measure, 5th dam Filial - Son-In-Law sireline

Sire Zamazaan carries Gainsborough sireline through Hyperion's 3/4 sister All Moonshine, Stafarella by Solario, Mah Mahal by Gainsborough. Carries Son-In-Law as sire of Grass Widow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>